Home Forums Chat Forum Netflix recommendations

Viewing 40 posts - 3,681 through 3,720 (of 4,163 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • Klunk
    Free Member

Main disadvantage is that it doesn’t appear to be rooted in a real story, from what I can tell. BoB let you know that Dick Winters et al were real people, and what you saw had actually happened. I’m sure this is a conglomeration of real stories which happened to different people, but it’s not the same.

I think it comes down to the casualty rate, as with Pacific…. the turn over rate of personnel is so high which means you’re unlikely to ever have a “band” as such.

thols2

What martinhutch said.

uggski

Not sure if this one has come up before but I enjoyed Wasteland.

Klunk
    Free Member

blimey true detective is all over the place!  from mystic bull to Agent Starling doing Dr Who to a not really a who dunnit but a who the **** ‘ell is who ? to a random ruck in A&E.

revs1972
    Free Member

Six Nations full contact is worth a watch if you likes your rugby

rone

Thanks for pushing me on (all) to Fargo S5.

Not watched the Fargo series before – and this is right up my street.  Jumped the others because of the good reviews of 5, and lack of Martin Freeman (something jarring about him), and needing something a bit different.

It’s got such a rich atmosphere and like someone else said – that whole rural big space creepiness that the USA does so well.

Fantastic so far. Juno Temple is hypnotic.

Do you have to watch the others in sequence?

Mugboo

Loudermilk started really well but I don’t like the way its drifting with the ex-cop sponser and the office chap, does it get back on track?

American Nightmare was good.

We are on a health kick thing at the moment, listening to lots of Michael Mosley podcasts so we enjoyed Secrets of the Blue Zones last night on Netflix.

Never heard of Wayne so I’ll seek that out. Forgotten all about Fargo but would love to see Keeley in a different role :)

jim25

Do you have to watch the others in sequence?

No, non of the Fargo stories are connected at all

sheck

S5 of Fargo ticking all the boxes in the Sheck household, although the description of Wales in Episode 3 or 4 did stimulate a bit of debate!

martinhutch

@rone I don’t like Freeman much either, but he was good in S1, and you’re missing out on Billy Bob Thornton if you avoid it. S2 is good, S3 OK, didn’t get into S4.

rone

Right thanks. I’m going to have another look at those.

richardkennerley

Seems to come up every do often about Martin Freeman, but don’t be put off automatically. Old recommendations but if you’ve avoided The Responder and Breeders just because of him, might be worth revisiting.

thols2

Yes, as above, season 4 was a misfire, the others were fine.

zilog6128

Binged Griselda over the last few days, pretty good, very much a Scarface vibe to it!

ossify

Watched Space Sweepers last night on Netflix.

Good fun, enjoyed 👍

Humanity has destroyed the planet and the rich folk live in orbit. Bunch of ragtag space debris scrap collectors get caught up in big conspiracy, will they save the world or not? Predictable stuff and turn your brain off for the space battles à la WWII dogfights, but it’s pretty good overall.

It’s mostly in Korean but I liked the fact that everyone speaks in their own language (they all have translator earpieces). You get people talking in Korean, French, English, Arabic, Pidgin, Chinese and more (to varying degrees). A nice touch.

johnx2
    Free Member

@rone I don’t like Freeman much either, but he was good in S1,

Me neither but he was. He was also good in Start-Up on Prime (I hope this is not hobbit forming). It’s a few years old but a good slice of Miami and kept us watching for three seasons.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I forgot all about ‘start up’. You’ve unlocked a memory there. How many other series have I forgotten completely? I enjoyed it as well

toby1

@Mugboo, that storyline drops after a couple of bizarre episodes, thankfully.

martinhutch

Watched Ghostbusters Afterlife at 4am* and found it surprisingly good fun

Was pleasantly surprised by that too, good fun, even a bit dusty in places. Drops off Netflix in a week or so, for those who haven’t caught it.

gravedigger
    Free Member

Watched 14 Peak: Nothing is Impossible again last night with a mate who hadn’t seen it – what a fantastic documentary of a stunning feat of achievement from an amazing guy, and team. Really something special.

desperatebicycle

Did the first one of Griselda last night (it was either that or the gf’s choice of Fool Me Once :lol: ) Griselda seems pretty decent, will keep going. I wish they hadn’t tried to make her face look different, but it’s not too distracting.

chakaping

Watched The Greatest Night in Pop on NF last night, doc about the recording of We Are The World.

Highly recommended: fascinating and heartwarming  – and left me full of admiration for Quincy Jones and Lionel Richie in particular.

I wish they hadn’t tried to make her face look different, but it’s not too distracting.

If you look up what the actual Griselda looked like, you’ll see they went pretty easy on lovely Sofia.

scud
    Free Member

Been watching an older series, The Sinner, different story line for each of the foure series with just the lead detective in common, first series with Jessica Biel as a woman who seemingly randomly stabs a stranger on the beach was good, even with the weird incestious bits with her sister…

Klunk
    Free Member

new season of Halo has started

scud
    Free Member

Why are all new series showing weekly now, not many you can binge in one go? We used to watch all of something then move onto the next, now i almost need a diary to remember what series releases a new episode on what day, trying to follow about 6 series currently…. it’s almost like the old days!

johndoh
    Free Member

Currently watching Fool Me Once – my wife seems to like it, but I think it is utter and complete bobbins. Bloody awful.

Poopscoop

scud
    Free Member
    Why are all new series showing weekly now, not many you can binge in one go? We used to watch all of something then move onto the next, now i almost need a diary to remember what series releases a new episode on what day, trying to follow about 6 series currently…. it’s almost like the old days!

Being cynical here but I suspect it’s to stop people just signing up for a month then cancelling to skip to a different streamer for a while…

akeys001

Watched The Greatest Night in Pop on NF last night, doc about the recording of We Are The World.

Highly recommended: fascinating and heartwarming – and left me full of admiration for Quincy Jones and Lionel Richie in particular.

totally agree – richtea in particular – what a top bloke – and found bob dylan’s awkwardness funny too…

cat69uk
    Free Member

Enjoying Bloodhounds on Netflix.  Just discovered Dave on iplayer and went through first series, totally stupid but pretty funny and love all the cameos from rappers to Bieber.

blokeuptheroad

I know I’m late to the party and it’s Prime not Netflix, but I’m giving Reacher a go. I know a few on here rate it. I’m really struggling with it tbh. Comically OTT, Mr Machismo all American hero with a whiff of pound shop Sherlock holmes. Fight scenes out of a Jackie Chan film and a supporting cast of Dukes of Hazard refugees. I’ve watched 2 episodes and I’m clinging on to the hope I’m missing something and maybe it gets better. Forlorn hope? I’ll give it one more episode to decide.

Poopscoop

^^ I thought the first series was “ok” but it seems the second series is not as good so I’m not going to bother with it in all honesty.

martinhutch

Second series was alright I suppose, but the dynamic of ‘team Reacher’ didn’t work for me. And the plot was very formulaic. I think they need to pick a better book in the series for the next one, and get back to the basics of Reacher on his own, which is the idea of the thing.

And yes, ‘Fool Me Once’ was utter bobbins.

chakaping

totally agree – richtea in particular – what a top bloke – and found bob dylan’s awkwardness funny too…

Poor Bob, he was so anxious. Quincy dealt with it really well though.

Yes, LR for president 👍

somafunk

I know a few on here rate it.

Nah, it was dumbed down utter shite, equivalent of a Big Mac and fries

blokeuptheroad

Just got halfway through episode 3 and had to give up.  I might have enjoyed it when I was 12.

sirromj

No, non of the Fargo stories are connected at all

A character from S1 appears in S3. Some of the same locations in S2 & S3. I suspect there’s more if you’re paying very close attention and have a good memory for names (google search say yes there are more connections). They add value rather than as a necessity to understand the plot of each series.

Started S1 earlier this year, on S4 now.

thols2

I’m giving Reacher a go. I know a few on here rate it. I’m really struggling with it tbh. Comically OTT, Mr Machismo all American hero with a whiff of pound shop Sherlock holmes. Fight scenes out of a Jackie Chan film and a supporting cast of Dukes of Hazard refugees.

Exactly. It’s entertaining popcorn TV, it makes no sense. If you’re not into that, it’s not for you.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Binged American Nightmare on NF during the week. Not what i was expecting. Really showed US law enforcement in very poor light, and a story that literally seems incredible but well told.

Currently enjoying Arctic Ascent with Alex Honnold on National Geograhic. Nice bit of adventure doc with a climate science angle. I dont like heights, so have been perversely riveted by the climbing sequences.

kilo

Exactly. It’s entertaining popcorn TV, it makes no sense

Spot on. It’s not as if the Reacher books are works of grand literature, they’re books to read with your brain out.

Finally started watching Bosch, took a while to get into it, really struggled with the differences between the book character and the show one but kind of over that.

woody2000

Been mentioned I think, but we’ve just finished Boy Swallows Universe. Absolutely loved it; great characters, slightly oddball storyline and general Aussie quirkiness 👍

Viewing 40 posts - 3,681 through 3,720 (of 4,163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.