Home Forums Bike Forum Orbea Rise – real world experience?

Viewing 35 posts - 201 through 235 (of 235 total)
  • Orbea Rise – real world experience?
  • hugoagogo
    Free Member

Not a fan of the frame brace on the 2025 model, will stick with my gen 1 with mullet set up and longer travel front and rear. Just need to get the badger to power up!

lister

Just had an email from Leisure Lakes about the new Rise. Cheapest one seems to be £7200!
    That’s another one off the ‘affordable’ list 😳

honourablegeorge

Carbon ones weee always a bit pricier, alu ones notbout tet

oldfart

I’m with @hugoagogo

That frame brace is minging 😳is it there for a structural reason ? Makes keeping mine minus the brace and headset routed cables a no brainer 👍

johnnystorm

@oldfart RobrideseMTB quotes the brace as increasing stiffness 22%. So probably removing 1mm of flex to make getting the bottle out a faff. Made me chuckle that Spesh left the brace off the newer Levo SLs and Orbea have added one in! 😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cheapest one seems to be £7200!
    That’s another one off the ‘affordable’ list 😳

Yep it’s crazy. No one in the bike industry appears to realise bikes are stupidly expensive, maybe they all get paid too much ? Rob Rides called an  £8.5k bike vfm/cheap. Wtf

They are getting heavier too which I find odd. The larger battery size is only just lighter than their full fat bike

An ‘affordable’ one is going to weigh more than there full fat Wild offering or very similar

Is more power also what’s needed on a light emtb ? My view on wanting a light emtb is that I still have to work a bit, but at least I can lift the bloody thing up over rocks / stiles etc.

Got to be sub 20kg for me

Its addressed some of the issues of the old Rise except for keeping the Shitmano motor

julians
    Free Member

They’ll be discounted soon enough, give it 6 months.

Rob Rides called an  £8.5k bike vfm/cheap. Wtf

He is a bit out of touch with many peoples reality, and also makes a living from promoting ebikes, so hardly likely to be an impartial voice.

oldfart

@johnnystorm so in other words marketing mumbo jumbo 🙄good job all that time in their Lab wasn’t wasted 🙄

bens
    Free Member

If the brace means that the seat tube is shorter and you can fit a longer dropper than I’m all for it.

I’m on a medium alloy frame and managed to fit a 180mm OneUp dropper. It’s technically too long for the frame according to the blue paper and i can see why. The wiring for the charge socket is in the way. It still went in but it’s not ideal.

With the 180 post, I’ve got probably 3 inches of post showing to get the right height for pedalling. Theoretically, I should be able to get a 210 post in but there isn’t enough clearance so I’m stuck with a compromise.

I dislike compromise on a bike that cost £5k 😂

Sounds like the new one has added that brace but at the same time shortened the seat tube and kept the ‘lectrics out the way for a decent seatpost insertion which i think is good.

The article up there only discusses the Ltd, M Team and M10 but other sites are suggesting there’s a M20 version waiting in the wings with SLX level kit so there is a cheap(er) version. Also, the alloy version should be cheaper still at the expense of some weight.

I guess on price, it’s Levo SL money and you can bet the Levo will be far lighter than the alloy rise.

I actually quite like the sound of the smaller battery version. 400ish wH battery and limited to 54nM in the RS profile would probably be perfect for 90% of my rides.

It looks like they’ve added proper sealing to the bearings too which is a definite plus. I won’t be queuing up to swap my 22 model with a new one but I kinda like what they’ve done with it.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Bikes are crazy expensive. But people keep wanting the latest stuff! The cost of a suspension fork is amazing.

Having ridden the new one, the stiffness is instantly noticeable. The brace also lets them tune the stiffness for each size, probably an industry first, which means smaller people aren’t riding too stiff bikes and larger people aren’t on more flexible ones.

lots of people will go for the 420wh battery, it has decent range, and if they want add a range extender for longer rides. I’m heavier so prefer the bigger battery.

The new bike is the same weight as the old one. Mine is high 18kgs with DD rear and EXO+ front with the bigger battery. There is always going to be a decent separation in weight between Rise and a similarly priced Wild.

honourablegeorge

It definitely narrows the gap to the Wild tbough, not sure why you’d want the big battery version over the Wild with a better motor

doug_basqueMTB.com

It definitely narrows the gap. It always seems to do that with each launch, trail bikes get more capable and then the enduro bikes do the same!

Ive been riding them both back to back a lot. They are different beasts. And I don’t agree that Bosch is the best motor any more, last year I’d have agreed but the new tune on the Rise feels really natural, it suits the bike really well. The Bosch is more intrusive, it’s obviously there and pushing all the time. Which can be good if that is what you want!

Downhill the bikes are totally, totally different. Rise is more agile and playful. Wild is more about speed. It’s the difference between a very capable trail bike and a full on enduro bike. There is a reason there is a Wild competing at Fort William this weekend and not the Rise.

I think Rise LT is my bike. Big days on the mountains and fun on local enduro trails. But I’ll miss having a Wild, those days trying to push harder on the local DH tracks.

honourablegeorge

Yeah, obviously not eidsen the new Rise, but the Wild is prettty sleek and light for a full fat bike. As to Shimano over Bosch, its more the relia ility/serviceability side I’d be foxused on. I wouldnt buy aShimano bike.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So still waiting to see some real reviews ie not just people invited to the Orbea launch or in bed with Orbea

I Like the idea of the M10 LT with bigger battery but can’t see it being less than 20.5kg given I’ve read the weight of the Ltd is 19.5kg.

Has anyone seen real world weights published yet, Orbea appear keen for people not to share the weights

jamj1974

I have the current Rise and while I do not need longer travel than it has anymore, I would like a lighter coil shock – only because I prefer the way coil shocks ride.

honourablegeorge

@jamj197 – have a friend with a Rise who uses a Cane Creek Il with a VALT progressive spring, and he’s dead happy with it

hugoagogo
    Free Member

Just had the dealer confirm my gen 1 Rise battery failure, it’s taken 6 weeks to get a diagnosis and will be a further 2 – 3 weeks until the replacement turns up. Despite the bike being out of warranty i’m a bit disappointed (understatement)/ surprised there was no support offered. My expectations clearly need recalibrating, afterall it was only a £7k bike that hasn’t had that much use, original owner etc… I’m not surprised at the failure, I’ve been waiting for something expensive to happen, I just thought the treatment might be more supportive instead of the not so comforting “tough luck mate, that’ll be £528”.

Was intending to upgrade to a Wild  but don’t feel like giving Orbea any more money after that. I doubt it will be much different from another manufacturer…

bens
    Free Member

This ^ is why I planned to sell mine when it came out of warranty. The second hand market tanked pretty hard though and the bike isn’t worth much now (relatively speaking). I figured I’d keep the bike and hope for the best. I’d lose more selling it now than I would having to pay out for a battery or a motor.

It’s pretty poor that a £5k (£7k…£10k…) bike is only designed to last 2 years.

I was considering a Specialized as a replacement but it looks like they’re down to 2 years warranty now.

vmgscot

@hugoagogo – that is a bit disappointing.

The Shimano (e8000) motor started playing up on my GF’s Merida eOneSixty recently (slipping internally under load) – 3 years old so well out of warranty. The (mail order) dealer was helpful in liaising with Madison/Shimano – we were bracing for the full £1K cost or maybe 50% if lucky but Shimano gave 100% assistance so FOC.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

It seems stange they won’t publicise any guarantee of a 50% discount for new motor cost outside warranty when you purchase the bike. Seems to be a lottery whether you get a 1000, 500, or 0 bill when the motor breaks.

hugoagogo
    Free Member

@vmgscot – it’s left a sour taste, dealer says Shimano/ Madison don’t want to know as its a battery issue, not the motor, and Orbea aren’t prepared to do anything. I was braced for spending but feel a bit let down that there’s no reduction on the battery given the experience of others with a first failure on an eeb and a battery should last longer than 2.5 years. Certainly won’t be recommending Orbea to anyone in a hurry.

iainc

does sound very poor. As a contrast, I needed to get the motor replaced in my Spesh Levo SL last summer, a few months outside the 2 yr warranty.  Local dealer bent over backwards to help, and the replacement was discounted buy about 40% by Spesh.  From first speaking to them to motor being fitted and bike back with me was about a week.

cogglepin

LBS has got a 2022 M20 Rise with the Shimano EP8 RS 360Wh  battery in at a decent price which I’m going to have a look at this week. Never had an Ebike before but these really appeal to me, so I was wondering what sort of mileage/ time will I get out of the battery. I’m 60kg and it’s mostly going to be NY Moors / Dales riding if that make any difference. Tia

snotrag

At 60 kilos you’ll be getting very good range compared to most. It’s the biggest factor!

cogglepin

That’s good to hear! Sometimes being a little un has its advantages!

bens
    Free Member

I got ~20 miles and 2500 feet just from the range extender on a couple of ride recently

Range extender is ~250wH. My Rise is the Alloy frame and just over 20kg.

Having ridden mine for a couple of years I reckon I could easily have gone for the smaller battery. Most of my rides are around 30 miles with somewhere between 3 and 4k feet of climbing. I’ll often finish with +50% of the 540wH battery. I’ll be tried at the end of the ride.

One thing I have noticed is that rides where there’s sustained climbing, say in Wales for example, I’ll use the battery quicker (and use more battery) than somewhere uppy downy like Surrey Hills. 3k feet of climbing in say, 15 climbs is a lot easier on the bike (and my legs) than doing 3k in 5 climbs.

Where I managed to get 2.5k from the range extender recently, equally I’ve killed the whole extender in about 6 miles climbing sustained steep stuff. The longer the climb goes on, the more tired your legs get and the more you rely on the assistance to get you up.

I’d say if you’re fairly fit and you’re aiming for 3k(ish) on a ride then the 320wH will probably be fine and, it’ll keep you fit. You can always get a range extender for bigger rides. If you’re aiming for 5k rides then maybe you’d want the bigger battery.

Once you’ve added the extender to the carbon frame, you’re basically at the same weight as the alloy so may as well get the alloy frame.

Also I guess it depends who you ride with. If you’re trying to keep up with full power bikes with mega capacity batteries then you’ll have no chance.

I mostly ride on my own and I’m happy bimbling along up the climbs at whatever pace I feel like which I think helps with the range. If I power around in boost, I can pretty much kill the 540wH battery in 20 miles/3000′.

Riding at my normal pace would leave me with at least 50% of the battery on the same route.

Other factors that affect range are things like wheels and tyres. Lighter wheels and fast tyres get you better range. If you’re riding terrain that warrants the use of insertd and heavy tyres then the range will suffer.

GeForceJunky

It would have to be seriously cheap for me to consider the 1st gen. The 2nd gen carbon has some decent upgrades such as better charging port and 540WHr battery, and there have been some great deals on these. The 3rd gen is even better but significantly higher cost.

cogglepin

Thanks for the detailed answer Bens, very comprehensive. I’ll probably be riding mostly by myself so it will be a nice steady pace. Think I will see how it goes and maybe invest in a range extender at a later date if I need one for bigger days out

cogglepin

I shall have a look at the 2nd gen carbon when I call in this week.

ditch_jockey

Anyone running 160mm forks on their gen1/2 Rise? Mine came with a Marzocchi Z2 as standard, and it’s absolutely rank – like having a pogo stick on the front. Looking around at deals, I can get a Lyrik at a decent price, but it’s 160mm travel, rather than the 150mm I was looking for.

phil5556

Yeah I run a 160mm Lyrik Ultimate on mine with a Slacker headset.

Doesn’t climb quite as well but it’s better coming down.

bens
    Free Member

I ran my Mezzer at 160 for a while and didn’t really get on with it.

I’ve always found the front end to be a bit low which was unnerving on steep, slow techy stuff so figured a bit more travel would help. It didn’t really. The front was too light on steep or techy climbs and I didn’t really notice much difference on the downs so went back to 150.

I’d like to try what Phil5556 has done and fit an angleset. I think slacker plus 160 might work better. Thought about offset shock bushes but pedal strikes are already troublesome and I keep clputing the motor on things so don’t want to drop the ‘BB’ any lower

mboy
    Free Member

Yeah, obviously not eidsen the new Rise, but the Wild is prettty sleek and light for a full fat bike. As to Shimano over Bosch, its more the relia ility/serviceability side I’d be foxused on. I wouldnt buy aShimano bike.

Yep it’s crazy. No one in the bike industry appears to realise bikes are stupidly expensive, maybe they all get paid too much ? Rob Rides called an  £8.5k bike vfm/cheap. Wtf

They are getting heavier too which I find odd. The larger battery size is only just lighter than their full fat bike

An ‘affordable’ one is going to weigh more than there full fat Wild offering or very similar

I had the opportunity recently to change (I won’t say upgrade as it’s very subjective) from my old Rise to a new Wild for a minimal amount of money in the grand scheme of things, and I don’t regret my decision… Yes, I still preferred the feel of the Shimano motor, but the Wild is only 10% heavier, is much stiffer, handles better, is far more confidence inspiring on the descents, still as much fun to ride and it’s got more than twice the battery power and range…I am all for lightweight eMTB’s, but they really need to be a LOT lighter and offer signficant benefits vs a full fat, otherwise you might as well just get a decent full fat bike and take advantage of the extra capacity etc…

weeksy

I ran 160mm Fox 36. Worked perfectly well.

hugoagogo
    Free Member

My gen 1 Rise replacement battery was shipped last week, 3 months after the 2 to 3 weeks quoted. Fingers crossed I’ll be back on mine in a few weeks.

Viewing 35 posts - 201 through 235 (of 235 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.