Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 166 total)
  • Orbea Rise – real world experience?
  • bonni

Some details on the new Rise out on another forum:

HERE

richardthird

Me and mates have bought … Six of these things since summer! (All M series)
    Some notes:

Frame bearings needed an in-situ regrease after 4 months, and we’ve fresh sets ready for changing in the Spring

Chain – £20 CN-6100 IIRC – Swapped out at 0.75 1000 miles, will keep doing this.

Brakes – 203 front rotor is a MUST. Some have swapped to the 4pot calipers, I might do the front but I don’t really need to tbh.

BB – Bit low with the 170 cranks + 140 fork, better with 150 fork and some of us are swapping out to 160mm XT cranks. Shorter, lighter and will avoid the E13 spindle cracking lottery (all ours are checked and fine though)

Range Extenders – thought we wouldn’t really use them but they have come into their own since Autumn. Bigger beefier tyres, more kit worn and carried, mudguards, thick mud, all mean more use of Trail and Boost most of the time. Great fun and hours of it.

ONE needs a warranty issue, it started cutting out so will be a leccy connection issue, probably crap in the on/off switch.

We all still love ’em. Even … the Saddles! Very surprised but none of us have any issues with the Fizik. Weird eh!

stevextc
    Free Member

Unlikely,ebikes are not a category of product that falls under the right to repair regulations.

The regs apply to primarily household appliances,eg washing machines etc

Yep but Shimano also have to sell to other countries and several of those are just across the channel.
    It’s going to be very difficult for eBike motor manufacturers to prevent people in the UK getting parts from Europe

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    christophert21
    Free Member

motor has just went in mine – motor no2. first motor was for a cracked spindle on e13 cranks. this motor has just over 1000km and threw a hissy fault with a load of faults. Currently being sent to shimano to determine if warranty or not. its got 1mth of 2yr warranty left. disappointed that it needs sent away and that a diagnostics report will not suffice. equally disappointed that the nearest date for a motor is end of January at earliest. Shimano really needs to up their game and either make these serviceable or at least make enough to suit demand! why should i be off my bike because they can’t get their act together.
    I was just about to purchase another bike – namely a mew Orbea Wild, but this has soured the experience. I’ll have to do some more thinking.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The lack of repairability is also a problem when they arne’t broken but need servicing.

I’ve got an older Shimano motor with what sounds like grinding bearings or gears or something. Already been back to Madison who said it was “working” so nothing to worry about.
    Only got 3 months left of warranty, slightly concerned about an upcoming 1000 bill if it fails completely.

Think that’ll be the end of me owning an ebike tbh!

yoshimi

Some great feedback there – thanks everone that took the time:)

So Orbea Rise M10 (plus range extender) now ordered from our local MTB Monster, hopefully picking it up this weekend. Although, this is now for my wife……I got all carried away and went with a Turbo Levo Pro.

b33k34

@richardthird

Frame bearings needed an in-situ regrease after 4 months, and we’ve fresh sets ready for changing in the Sprin

Symptoms and how? Mines done over 3k km now (K’s a bit less). They’ve both had the odd ride where the got a squeak that seemed to be from a pivot, but then stopped again (and neither have any bearing play I’ve noticed)

richardthird

I noticed a slight creak up a particular steep climb which led me to have a look. Both mine and the other mates that were looked at had dry main upper and lower pivot bearings once you could get a finger in there for a waggle. Rescued in situ though.

There’s no other seals except the bearings themselves ’tis why and Orbea themselves say to check every few months.

johnas7
    Free Member

I got the RISE H30 back in april and love it so far. 3 of my mates also got them aswell. A few of the lads have full fat E-bikes which are more powerful on some of the climbs but they werent massively far ahead, so didnt spoil the riding.
    I made sure i change the rotor on front to 203mm. A lot of people complain about the brakes but i find them ok for now.
    May get an airshaft at some point and change the fork suspension to 150mm.
    My only gripe at the moment is that just before i ordered the bike they put the price up by £300 and now my bike is a grand cheaper to buy 9 months later.

phil5556

Can anyone tell me what power the charger uses please – i.e. how many watts / amps it says it draws at 240v? I can’t find the spec but assume it’s got a sticker on it.

And how long the carbon 360Wh battery takes to charge from flat?

Cheers.

transition1
    Free Member

Not sure what power charger uses & can’t be arsed to go to garage to look but takes approx 5hrs from completely flat on carbon Rise to 100%

julians
    Free Member

Not sure what power charger uses & can’t be arsed to go to garage to look but takes approx 5hrs from completely flat on carbon Rise to 100%

Sounds like a 2 amp charger if it takes 5 hours

mboy
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me what power the charger uses please – i.e. how many watts / amps it says it draws at 240v? I can’t find the spec but assume it’s got a sticker on it.

Max of 2A… But reality is they never run anywhere near that… Might get an initial peak somewhere around 1.5A for a few moments, but typically they’re drawing around 0.6-0.8A for the bulk of the charge…

The 5hrs, whilst correct, is also misleading trying to understand the current they charge at… Because they don’t charge in a linear fashion… Current will drop as the battery fills from an initial peak, becoming a trickle charge for the last 20% or so capacity.

phil5556

Thanks, so not very high power, I’m trying to work out what I’d need to charge from a campervan. Apparently my wife might be about to buy a Rise and it’ll be job to provide her somewhere to plug it in…

I’m surprised they only charge at about 2A, seems low for a Lithium battery (although handy as it’ll mean we need a smaller inverter), can you get faster chargers?

So 2A at 36v = 72 Watts = 0.3A at 240v = 6A at 12v. I think, not accounting for losses but assuming the charger is always pushing out 2A (which it might not be).

And 30Ah from a 12v battery (+losses).

Max of 2A… But reality is they never run anywhere near that… Might get an initial peak somewhere around 1.5A for a few moments, but typically they’re drawing around 0.6-0.8A for the bulk of the charge…

So 2A input or output? I took the 2A to be the output.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Which model Rise? I think the larger battery in the H models has a 4A (max) charger and 2023 models may be different again

Rubber_Buccaneer

2022 H30 charger is 100-240V 2.5A input and 42V 2A output according to the label on the charger

phil5556

2022 H30 charger is 100-240V 2.5A input and 42V 2A output according to the label on the charger

Cheers 👍 I thought the battery was 36v. Max of 2.5A is worst case a 600W inverter, but closer 300W assuming that will pull 2.5A at 100v.

Which model Rise? I think the larger battery in the H models has a 4A (max) charger and 2023 models may be different again

She’s looking at an M20 2022 so will be the smaller battery.

phil5556

Sorry to have gone on a bit of a tangent on this thread!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Battery may be 36V but the charger spec is 42V

View post on imgur.com

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Can’t be bothered to do the maths, but I have an 800w pure sine wave inverter in my camper that happily charges our 2 Rises at the same time.

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers 👍 I thought the battery was 36v. Max of 2.5A is worst case a 600W inverter, but closer 300W assuming that will pull 2.5A at 100v.

If you’re on Facebook, get on the Orbea Rise group… It’s a rare hive of actual useful information in a quagmire of shit that is Facebook!

Not done it but general consensus is minimum of 500W Pure Sine Wave inverter will do it… There is a potential spike of 480W but the reality is this is never any bigger than about 350W or so and it quickly settles down to under 200W…

Can’t be bothered to do the maths, but I have an 800w pure sine wave inverter in my camper that happily charges our 2 Rises at the same time.

I guess if you plug the one in, wait a few moments then plug the other in (so as to mitigate against current spikes) it would work… Ideally you’d have a 1000W Pure Sine wave inverter mind.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

M’be, but they’ve charged happily in there, even in the sub zero trip to Scotland last year. It’s a Victron and has a peak power of 1500w for spikes, and I can’t physically plug them both in at exactly the same time anyway.

bri-72

On the subject of charging, my LBS said watch out for the trickle charge, along lines of it may actually only charge to 85%. I can’t mind if they said to leave longer to ensure get to 100% or the reverse, avoid leaving plugged in too long as it will revert to trickle mode and be less than full charge?
    Make any sense? Seems odd to not just go with the light indicator on the charger but almost that’s what they were suggesting. Orbea dealer and lots of Rises out the door, you’d think they’d know.

welshfarmer

Yep. I quite often fi d mine back at 85% if I forget to unplug and leave it on charge for too long.

therag
    Free Member

I have the H30 with an extender.
    Put on a 160mm 36 fork, bigger fox seatpost and an xtr brakeset from new, so I couldn’t comment on how much it was improved.
    Every local ride is steep up & steep down in S wales with full fat bikes and my previous bike was a full fat Levo. I get the same distance/height, but put in more effort. Most rides are well under 20 miles, almost all in turbo and I rarely run the battery flat.

nickdavies

Can I ask a sizing question on here?
    At just shy of 6’2 and 32’ inseam I seem to be very much in between l & xl. Anybody else my size on a large?

I think ideally I’d like about a 630 tt and 485 reach and it looks a lil bit short in large flavour, but the xl is approaching gate territory and I hate feeling perched above a bike.

My local stockist want 3 weeks to get one in to try despite having them in stock at the warehouse so I’d rather buy online (from them )

Cheers

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If it helps in anyway I’m 6’2 but with 34” inseam and long arms. I’m on an XL, but running the standard 50mm stem, I have a 175mm reverb AXS post on it with room to drop the post 15mm more in the frame, I also run 10mm of spacer under the stem.

intheborders
    Free Member

I think ideally I’d like about a 630 tt and 485 reach and it looks a lil bit short in large flavour, but the xl is approaching gate territory and I hate feeling perched above a bike.

I’m your height but with a lot longer inseam. I had a 2-day demo on a L, but if I had bought one it’d been the XL (got a Kenevo SL instead).

And with a longer bike you’ll feel less “perched”.

stanley

Beware the XL… it has a very long seat-tube. With a 32″ inseam you will end up with a very short dropper post.

Stockport area and happy for a “test fit”. Size large @ 5’10” with 33″ inseam

oldfart

They do size up smaller , I’ve also rode a medium in every bike I’ve had , I’m just under 6ft but ended up on a large Rise and it’s perfect 👍
    While I’m here do other owners of the alloy version agree that the one thing that lets an otherwise great bike down is the stupid location of the on off switch? 🙄

bens
    Free Member

On the sizing thing, as already mentioned the seat tube is quite long and you’ve also got the charging port to contend with when it comes to dropper post insertion.

The carbon model also has the power button on the seat tube which limits insertion even more.

My medium (alloy) has an stated max insert depth of 255mm but I was able to slam a Oneup 180mm (267mm insert depth) post in the frame. It basically slides passed the wiring for the charging socket.

b33k34

@welshfarmer
    @bir-72

On the subject of charging, my LBS said watch out for the trickle charge, along lines of it may actually only charge to 85%. I can’t mind if they said to leave longer to ensure get to 100% or the reverse, avoid leaving plugged in too long as it will revert to trickle mode and be less than full charge?

Trying to understand this – I’ve found if I charge mine some early in the week then ride on a Saturday it’s at less than 100%. Both of us set off at 92% the other week as a result.

But I’ve not worked out how to stop it (other than top up charge the night before). I’ve tried using a timer to turn the charger off after 4 or 8 hours and also just turning off when the charger goes to green manually (but may have left the cable connected). It seems very odd for a li-ion battery to loose that much charge in a few days.

vmgscot

While I’m here do other owners of the alloy version agree that the one thing that lets an otherwise great bike down is the stupid location of the on off switch?

Agree – covering in spare protection tape helps keep the worst out.
    I also ‘upsized’ from my normal Large (Yeti and BigDog) to XL on the Rise H

bonni

Slightly tangential question: how do the batteries fair in the cold (negative Celsius)? Or any e-bike for that matter.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Like every other battery powered thing, the runtime is reduced. I can’t quantify how much though.

phil5556

So my wife just ordered an M20. I’m a little bit jealous!

She’d have liked the 150mm 36 fork but I think the M10 was over £1300 more, so will look at upping the 34 or swapping the fork.

I best get that inverter sorted.

mboy
    Free Member

Can I ask a sizing question on here?
    At just shy of 6’2 and 32’ inseam I seem to be very much in between l & xl. Anybody else my size on a large?

This is where the issue comes in with the sizing for taller people on the Rise… It’s fine if you’ve got long legs and arms and a short body basically, but not the other way around… I’m 5ft10 with a 33″ inside leg and on a Large… I wouldn’t want it any smaller! That said, I wouldn’t want the seat tube any longer as I can just squeeze a 175mm dropper post in. The XL has a bloody long seat tube which means you’re going to need a really short dropper post for it to fit correctly, but on the Large you’ll feel quite cramped, especially as the seat angle and relative top tube length are quite short compared to the reach figure.

bri-72

First charge here as only got last week. Not a fan of charging speed or it’s trickle approach. Had only ran down to 45% battery on first ride. 3 hours of charge last night and light didn’t go to green. I’m guessing it got to 80% or whatever and was trickle charging the rest?

Do folk find its 5hrs from any charge level or is it quicker for a top up, as not my initial experience.

My shimano was 3hours from flat and proportionately less to top up. Much better.

Only downside so far.

oldfart

What light going green ? Blue light on charger pulses when charging when it changes to solid blue it’s done.

bri-72

Is yours the H model? M here and red changes to green per the manual.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 166 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.