Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 169 total)
  • Orbea Rise – real world experience?
  • kelvin

Where’s the bike? What’s the temperature there? Cold means slow charge. Red means charging. Green flashing means charged. Isn’t slow at room temperature. ‘Old’ M model.

Looking at the new M model… heavier battery option might suit some, but might take away some of the “just a mountain bike” feel/handling. As for the “improved” cable routing… >sigh<

stanley

What light going green ? Blue light on charger pulses when charging when it changes to solid blue it’s done.

“M” and “H” bikes use different chargers.

oldfart

Cheers Stanley

phil5556

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 34 fork with the travel upped to 150mm for a lighter rider, about 60kg?

Seemingly if the bike comes with a 2021 fork the travel can be upped with an airshaft, but the 2022 can’t.

There’s also the option of swapping to Fox 36 but obviously a lot more cash than just an airshaft swap.

transition1
    Free Member

If you can increase travel on the 34 to 150mm I would recommend it, at 140mm travel it’s a low BB at 336mm most e-bikes are a Lot higher BB!
    The 2023 H & M will have same charger & choices of 360 or 540wh batteries

phil5556

Cheers for the charger help, inverter on the way and sorted with what’s going in the van.

One more charging related question though, is anyone able to measure the charger cables please? Both the feed and output cable lengths on the carbon charger??

If you can increase travel on the 34 to 150mm I would recommend it, at 140mm travel it’s a low BB at 336mm most e-bikes are a Lot higher BB!

Things get out of hand quickly, she cancelled the M20 and re-ordered an M10 so that’s the travel sorted 😂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Things get out of hand quickly, she cancelled the M20 and re-ordered an M10 so that’s the travel sorted 😂

Mrs BS did that too! Mainly because she liked the gold factory fox stuff! She also upgraded to a Factory Tansfer post. I’m pretty glad she did as she could just ride it out of the box. All I changed was the saddle and grips to her preferred and the rear tyre for a bit more grapple in the slop.

phil5556

@Blazin-saddles

We started pricing up 4 pot brakes and a new fork and it wasn’t a million miles away from the M10 price difference and I think it would have delayed the bike a while too.

Tyres will be changed aswell, I think she’s going to see if the shop will put something else on when they build it.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

@phil5556. Ours were staff purchase price deals so the gap was really nominal and certainly outweighed the hassle factor, also she’s happy and rides it loads, so that’s all that really matters.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I’m glad I opted for the M10. The suspension works really well, in particular the Grip2 fork is noticeably better than the (a few years old) Fit4 I have on my trail bike. Also the brakes are OK so far (about 10 rides in), so I don’t think I will be transferring my trusty Hope single pots to it.

phil5556

also she’s happy

She does seem pretty happy and it’s not even here yet! 🙂

I’m glad I opted for the M10. The suspension works really well, in particular the Grip2 fork is noticeably better than the (a few years old) Fit4 I have on my trail bike. Also the brakes are OK so far (about 10 rides in), so I don’t think I will be transferring my trusty Hope single pots to it.

Mrs5556 isn’t very heavy so brakes should be good and better more tuneable suspension could well work better for a lighter rider. She’s always struggled to get her current Rockshox Revelation working very well for her, on lower pressures it barely holds itself up but a bit more pressure in it and she doesn’t get that far in to the travel.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The only problem she might have is the compression is a bit heavy on the 36 fork, I suspect optimised for 90kg with a bit of flight intended. Mrs has hers fully off for low and high speed.

phil5556

The only problem she might have is the compression is a bit heavy on the 36 fork, I suspect optimised for 90kg with a bit of flight intended. Mrs has hers fully off for low and high speed.

a common issue on a lot of forks probably. Maybe lighter oil at first service time if that’s possible?

bikesandboots

Any thoughts on 445mm chainstays? That’s long for a half-fat ebike, particularly for the smaller sizes.

kelvin

Fine.

phil5556

Has anyone mulleted it by just putting a 27 wheel in the back? The FB group has a lot of info about changing the shock to increase travel to 160mm, but not much about keeping it at 140mm and slackening the bike.

Lower BB will be a bit of an issue but not sure it’s too low and shorter cranks would partly mitigate that.

I suppose the ideal would be offset bushings to raise the back end again slightly but I don’t think you can run them the “wrong” way around because they’ll spin.

It’s will be tried with a small wheel next week but just wondering about others experiences 🙂

transition1
    Free Member

I have tried mine with mullet in the rear. BB is low. Am running the forks at 160mm so raises BB from stock. M20 with fox34 at 140mm travel BB height is 336mm. Mine is full custom M20 if could of bought just a Frameset I would have.
    Stuck with 29 wheels 140 rear 160 up front

phil5556

Cheers. How did it ride? I’m assuming not as well as stock if you went back to the 29er 🤣

Her old bike is 331 and mulleting it would make it about 10mm lower than that apparently.

This is the M10 so 150mm Fox 36 on the front.

An M frameset & motor would be interesting thing 🙂

transition1
    Free Member

It rode ok in the woods, but any rocky locations, especially pedalling uphill over rocks too many pedal strikes. Am running a Manitou Mezzer on front & TTX coil on the rear, just prefer the 29er setup, it’s a very capable bike

mboy
    Free Member

Fox aren’t as bad as they used to be in this respect, but still pretty heavily damped. I’m 92kg, stock damping is too much for my sensitive wrists! 😂 Mine are getting a custom tune and 3W oil in the new year @ Dirtworks in Malvern (exactly the same as he did to my previous 2019 GRIP2 36’s and it transformed them)…

Any thoughts on 445mm chainstays? That’s long for a half-fat ebike, particularly for the smaller sizes.

People obsessed over chainstay lengths for a while when 29ers came out when lengths were up over 450mm typically. Then they got down under 430mm at times, and people realised the pros of super short chainstays were outweighed by the cons.

Besides… If they were much shorter, there would be no room for a 29er rear tyre with the motor in there too!

It’s fine… Absolute non issue… In fact I prefer 440-445ish stays on a full sus now I’ve got used to them again, coming back up from around 430mm. But then good bike geometry is all about balance… Pointless making the front centre really long and then fitting super short chainstays, the bike will only be good for pointing and squirting!

An M frameset & motor would be interesting thing 🙂

For sure… But when I bought my M10, deals were being done already, the price I paid, once I’d sold off everything I didn’t want (groupset, wheels, brakes, tyres, bar/stem, dropper, saddle, tyres), I was in under £5k for the frame with Fox 36 Factory Fork, Float X2 factory shock etc. too which I didn’t think too bad at all really… Not when you consider there’s the motor, battery and everything in that too, along with a £1200 rrp fork. An S-Works Levo frame and similar fork would run you to about £8k, put it that way!

phil5556

It rode ok in the woods, but any rocky locations, especially pedalling uphill over rocks too many pedal strikes. Am running a Manitou Mezzer on front & TTX coil on the rear, just prefer the 29er setup, it’s a very capable bike

Ta. An experiment will be conducted 🙂

bens
    Free Member

160mm cranks here with a Mezzer @ 150 and pedal strikes are annoyingly frequent on chunky stuff. I’d like the BB to be a bit higher and certainly wouldn’t want it any lower.

phil5556

My bike (Bird Aether 7) is 325 BB height with 170 cranks and I get on fine with that. Get the occasional pedal strike but have mostly adjusted to it and it doesn’t bother me. My last bike was also reasonably low so I guess it’s what you get used to.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Looking at the new 2023 models I am struggling to see beyond the H10. It comes with the same EP8 motor as the M models, and I assume benefits from the new lighter battery too.

Its either wait a bit until I can afford an H10 or get an 2022 M10 in the sales with the smaller battery, Overall I imagine there will be nothing brtween them weight wise?

oldfart

Funky Dunc
    I’ve got the H15 , you’d be hard pressed to tell it’s alloy and there are some offers on them now . Surge bikes are one company but unless they are local to you I’d always buy as local as you can with any E Bike.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Its either wait a bit until I can afford an H10 or get an 2022 M10 in the sales with the smaller battery, Overall I imagine there will be nothing brtween them weight wise?

About 2kg for the H10 over an M10. part of it is the bigger battery, part of it is the extra frame weight.

bri-72

I’ve come from a Focus Jam2 with 378wh battery to an M20 with 320wh. I’m getting more range and reckon 4000feet ascent vs 3000 at best from the Jam2.

Glad I opted for the m20 as I was in two minds. I’d struggle to think of many occasions when I’d need a bigger battery/more range. But so glad to not be carrying an extra few kg weight when don’t need to.

To my mind the rise is all about lighter weight, the H models and the extra couple of kg they carry removes some of the attraction to me. Weight becomes much closer to the competition.

phil5556

I’ll find out soon how heavy the H is vs the M, I was originally in this thread because my wife got herself an M10.

I wasn’t expecting her to buy me an H30 for Christmas and told to choose a new fork & brakes 😁 Should be here in the next 3 weeks, I’m quite excited.

salad_dodger

My M10 is due to arrive on Thursday. New brakes and AXS kit are already here and waiting to be fitted. Rather excited!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

About 2kg for the H10 over an M10. part of it is the bigger battery, part of it is the extra frame weight.

sorry I’m full of cold and confusing myself !

If you get a 2023 M10 or H10 with big battery  there has got to be not much in it at all in terms of weight.   The carbon must only 500g or so lighter ?

And then Orbea is saying the 2023 batteries are lighter than 2022 so the gap in weight between 2023 must be closer than comparing 2022 models

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I thought you comparing reduced price 2022 m series with 2023 H series. The 2023 motor is apparently 100g heavier than 2022, and the battery and frame differences would make a decent difference. If you’re comparing 2023 models then you’re probably about correct if both running big battery.

yoshimi

I’ve been reading a bit about E13 cranks destroying axles or somethiong and people replacing them with ‘cheap’ Shimano ones

Anyone had experience of this and what cranks are people replacing them with?

Cheers

transition1
    Free Member

Replaced mine with XTR Shimano cranks 165mm

oldfart

yoshimi I decided to swap mine out before igot the bike , shop just put Shimano Deore on perfectly fine for me . I didn’t fancy getting caught in the Shimano v E13 squabble 🙄

stanley

Shimano 165mm cranks on my H30.

Regarding weight: The new batteries are not going to be much/any lighter on a pro-rata basis. I understand that the 2022 “H” batteries were the newer tech anyway. That would mean that a 2023 “M” with the 540wh battery would only be slightly lighter than the equivalently spec’d “H” owing to its carbon frame.

On a £ per £ basis, I’d have the higher spec’d “H”.
    If someone wanted to go as light as possible, then it’s “M” with the smaller battery as the starting point.

phil5556

So yeah, I’m now a member of the Rise owners club 🙂

oldfart

Best colour 😉👍

phil5556

Best colour 😉👍

Looks better with a bit of mud on it 🙂

So yes I’m a convert to the e-bike. Been out on it a few times now including a couple of days at Golfie. A couple of weeks ago I did 4 runs to the top on my Aether chasing my wife and our friend on their Rises – I was absolutely broken afterwards.

Sunday I did 6 to the top and a couple of short runs up, legs were fine, upper body was broken this time. Great fun but without the pain in between and I still feel like I worked pretty hard so not the entirely lazy option some make it out to be.

I still feel a bit self conscious overtaking people on the climbs and haven’t quite plucked up the courage to shout “E-bike coming through!” 😂

Now the bike:

I’ve ridden it in profile 1 and 2. 1 is great and I would probably keep it in that most of the time, except when I’m chasing someone else who is using profile 2 – then it’s a struggle to keep up.

Battery life saw 36km and 1800m without trying to conserve it using a mix of mostly trail & boost – pretty happy with that. I went flat near the top of my final climb.

Lyrik is working well, I’ve barely touched it since initial set up and it feels good.

Rear Fox shock has felt too easy to bottom out so will try a token / spacer (need to look in to what they actually use?) to improve it ramping up. May change it in the future.

The Code brakes are needed, admittedly I didn’t ride it with the original Deores but I can’t imagine they’d be up to the job.

150mm dropper wasn’t long enough for me, I stole the 200 Brand X ascend from my Aether which works perfectly. Replacement for the Aether is here.

I’m going to have to keep an eye on the gap between the chainstay bridge and the bottom of the seat tube, there’s not much clearance and it was full of mud and small stones – could see there being an issue with getting something wedged in there and denting / cracking the frame. Might even get a mud guard.

I’ve been riding it with a 27.5″ wheel in the back, yes the BB is a bit low but it’s manageable and I prefer the way it handles on the steeper scary stuff. I’ve switched the rear wheel a couple of times and it feels more cumbersome on the 29 and the I prefer the slacker HA. Initially it felt BIG but after the first couple of descents on it I’ve got used to it, it does take a bit more effort to get it to turn and still not quite as confident on it as the Aether. Doesn’t feel heavy coming down but does feel like it takes a bit more to stop it, might be due to the smaller rotors. Definitely climbs better with the 29 but it’s a trade off I’m happy with.

I’ve got a mullet set of Nukeproof Horizon V2 wheels and some 203mm rotors to go on, then I’ll stop playing about with it and keep riding.

Overall a thumbs up from me.

yoshimi

Well after owning it since before Xmas, tomorrow will be the misses first ride out on it – a package turned up today and looks like shes bought some Deore XT 165mm cranks…wonder what I’ll be doing tonight

Profile 1 & 2…??? I’ve not looked at her bike much as wanted her to understand it all herself. So, if I’m on a full fat Levo, any ideas on matching our power? Bearing in mind I’m 90kg and shes 60kg. Or not worry abour it when I ride with the Wednesday crew and I’m the only one on E, I just leave it in Eco and as they’re all animals it seems to work just fine.

Also, worth strapping her range extender on..20mile 4000ft kind of day?

phil5556

bought some Deore XT 165mm cranks

I might put them on mine eventually or maybe even try some 160s.

Profile 1 & 2…???

There’s 2 profiles for power set up, if she’s got the M without a screen then she’ll need the Shimano E-Tube (Project?) app, with the screen she can change profiles on there by holding down the little button on the screen, then going to Assistance Customisation or similar and switch between the 2. Profile 1 is default, 2 is more powerful but obviously uses more battery. Eco / Trail / Boost is also configurable in each profile but I haven’t played that much yet.

Set it in Profile 2 and use the extender if she’s going to be chasing you, especially if she’s got the smaller battery in the M. I find 1 is plenty if I’m not trying to keep up with someone, I could just about keep up using P.1 Trail vs the wife on P.2 Boost but it wasn’t much fun for long!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 169 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.