Home Forums Chat Forum Netflix recommendations

Viewing 40 posts - 3,641 through 3,680 (of 4,132 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
    mtbfix

Just finished the current season of Fargo. I can’t remember a time when I got to the end of a series and felt quite as content as I did. Brilliant, even if it took a while getting there.

richardkennerley

We’ve made a start on The Tourist series 2, it took me a while to work out a young lad in it is actually Wayne which prompted me to bob another recommendation for that here. I know it’s been added to this thread repeatedly, but if you’ve never watched it, go look it up!

desperatebicycle

Someone also may have mentioned that it was Wayne in the Tourist. Me, I did.

binners

Just finished the second series of Big Boys on channel 4.

It was even better than the first series, which was absolutely brilliant. It’s just a little slice of wonderfullness and is very, very funny

cmadd
    Free Member

Watched both of these,Blood Coast  ( french) &  Golden Hour (dutch) on Netflix

Well good

martinhutch

Watched the first episode of ‘Artful Dodger’ on Disney+ with David Thewlis and that lad from the Maze Runner. Good fun, bit of a romp, clearly trying to be a bit like the Sherlock films with Robert Downey Jr in tone.

shinton
    Free Member

I agree that Fargo series 5 is a welcome return to form with a great plot and an ending that doesn’t disappoint.  Still find it weird the main character is played by Keeley from Ted Lasso, but what a great actress Juno Temple is.

honeybadgerx

Jammed in watching The Creator before free Disney subcription expires, uughh it’s just all over the place. There’s probably three different hald decent movies that could be teased out of it depending where you want to pitch it from kids movies to Bladerunner-esque, but it just seems to try and do it all. Glad I hadn’t paid money ot watch it! Watched Ghostbusters Afterlife at 4am* and found it surprisingly good fun.

*Baby cradling duties – I’m rapidly running out of decent stuff to watch so this thread has been a godsend!

Kuco

I wasn’t impressed with the Creator, felt like it wasn’t sure where it was meant to go, and found it drawn out. Agree about the Bladerunner-esque theme.

MSP

Yeah the creator was one of those movies that I felt failed to deliver on its potential, the main actors were pretty poor and never created believable characters (they could of course have been hamstrung by poor direction). It reminded me of Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, where I also ended the film just thinking if they had cast the main roles better it could actually have been a decent film.

dyna-ti

Certainly some good concepts in the Creator. That running bomb for example, Just the type of thing the war mongering military would come up with.

Last 45 minutes were a jumble, almost like they left half of it on the cuttingroom floor.

Special effects were excellent though, as said, some very interesting concepts.
    ————–

The artful dodger is ok, certainly worth watching.

toby1

Watched Ghostbusters Afterlife at 4am* and found it surprisingly good fun

I don’t think it was just the early hour, I really enjoyed it at a rational time of day too.

The Wilds (on prime) is going down well after Yellowjackets (we seem to be on a plane crash run). Both very good, as is Wayne mentioned above (for the 30th time).

desperatebicycle

Still find it weird the main character is played by Keeley from Ted Lasso, but what a great actress Juno Temple is.

John Hamm as well. Exceptional as a utterly hateful bastard!

rascal
    Free Member

Quite an old film (2007) but just watched Into The Wild. Bloody brilliant.

pisco

Just started watching Boy Swallows Universe (Netflix) about a family involved in heroin dealing in the 80’s.
    I may be in post-Reacher trauma, but it’s very promising; good acting, well shot, funny and good characters.

edit: as fossy has already recommended

crazy-legs

I saw Don’t Look Up the other day. Jennifer Lawrence and Leonardo diCaprio in a disaster / end-of-days film about a comet hitting the earth and how everyone is so wrapped up in celebrity culture and dumbed down 10-sec news snippet clips that no-one understands it or takes it seriously.

Media and political groups more concerned about their ratings on social media than any complicated science or boring science nerd people so they gloss over it until it all becomes too late.

Has some fairly close-to-the-bone moments, you can recognise the “Elon Musk” and “Donald Trump” style figures within the film.

DrJ

If you enjoyed Kano in Top Boy, you’ll want to watch The Kitchen, film about a dystopian near future in London.

myti
    Free Member

Just started watching Boy Swallows Universe (Netflix) about a family involved in heroin dealing in the 80’s.

I may be in post-Reacher trauma, but it’s very promising; good acting, well shot, funny and good characters

plus one. just 3 episodes in and loving it. Something really different about it and the 2 boys are brilliant actors, great soundtrack. Getting some Mr Inbetween vibes but not quite as dark …yet.

desperatebicycle

Boy Swallows Universe

Ah, this is more like it. Good recommend, cheers! 👍

revs1972
    Free Member

Bit late to the party, but I’m halfway through watching Boat Story.
    Just a little blood thirsty , with Fairbrass doing what he does best 😂

chakaping

Watched Saltburn on Prime last night.

Funny, filthy, flawed and very sharp in places. It was certainly something a bit different anyway.

Yep, The Kitchen is next on my list. Will be weird seeing Sully without Jaq and Dushane though.

ready

I know I’m 6yrs late to the party, but finally watched Okja over the weekend.  Recommended!  Funny, sad & thought provoking.   8.5/10

Also watched Butchers Crossing with Nicolas Cage.  Some excellent cinematography, but tries too hard to be psychological.   5/10

Kryton57

The Kitchen

Not that great IMO.  Kano trying not to be Sully, but sometimes accidentally being Sully in a film with that obvious parallel (ex gangsta tries not to be gangsta type plot).  

fingerbang
    Free Member

Late to the party but currently enjoying season 1 of the Tourist. Also good that as it’s BBC then it’s effectively a limited series so not too demanding

As a big fan of Justified and Damon herrimon it’s great to see him in an Aussie role for once

desperatebicycle

it’s effectively a limited series so not too demanding

Except there’s a 2nd series… its worth continuing, though it does get a bit silly (or continue to be silly) :D

elray89
    Free Member

It might be because I love bleak, rural set gritty dramas, but the latest Season of Fargo has been possibly the best TV I have seen since 2019’s Chernobyl. Fantastic characters with a big slab of folk horror influence and an unsettling tone, alongside the usual Fargo-y comedy and funny accent. Acting is top notch from everyone especially Juno Temple.

It’s very Cormac McCarthy-esque in character, story and dialogue. Might not be for everyone but close to perfection for me.

That’s on Jeffy B’s Streaming Service though, not Netflix.

DrJ

[The Kitchen] Not that great IMO.

No – pretty disappointing.

spacemonkey

The missus binged Boys Swallows Universe last week and rated it one of the best things she’s watched for a long time. The crazy thing is that it’s inspired by real events (from many years prior) and has a very endearing lead in Eli.

We also watched Oppenheimer (very good) and The Batman (okay).

chakaping

Not sure if mentioned on here, but I would strongly recommend Muscles & Mayhem on Netflix.

A docuseries about the original American Gladiators.

Best thing I’ve seen on NF for age. Compelling viewing.

rone

The new Roadhouse remake looks great.

Got a soft spot for the cheesy as hell original.

On prime March 21st.

Doug Liman directing with Jake Gyllenhaal leading.

fingerbang
    Free Member

‘Always expect the unexpected ‘@rone

rone

Ha ha!

“Be nice.”

Klunk
    Free Member

Has ‘Back to Life’ come up yet?

A brilliant, darkly comedic series, Ms. RM got me hooked on it by osmosis.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Binge watched American Nightmare (only three episodes) and was gripped.
    Completely changed my view from episode 1 to episode 2.
    Made me grateful I didn’t have to rely on the good old US of A law enforcement.

revs1972
    Free Member

[The Kitchen] Not that great IMO.

No – pretty disappointing.

agreed, either I missed something, but I felt it had no real story or plot to it

nicko74

I finally – after about 10 months – finished Bad Sister this week, and frankly it wasn’t worth it. The final episode was pretty good in tying up the loose ends, but all that slog to get to that?! Boooooo

sadexpunk

Binge watched American Nightmare (only three episodes) and was gripped.Completely changed my view from episode 1 to episode 2.Made me grateful I didn’t have to rely on the good old US of A law enforcement.

came here to say exactly this.  and……

really enjoying Griselda at the moment, halfway through it.  female narco series, not sure if its based on real life or not.

martinhutch

First two episodes of ‘Masters of the Air’ , for me at least, are a bit more like ‘Masters of the Meh’, especially when it is putting itself up as a relative of ‘Band of Brothers’.

Main disadvantage is that it doesn’t appear to be rooted in a real story, from what I can tell. BoB let you know that Dick Winters et al were real people, and what you saw had actually happened. I’m sure this is a conglomeration of real stories which happened to different people, but it’s not the same.

StuE
    Free Member

Enjoying Loudermilk on Netflix 

Viewing 40 posts - 3,641 through 3,680 (of 4,132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.