Viewing 40 posts - 2,841 through 2,880 (of 3,914 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • fasthaggis

Keeping to the spirit of this thread –> #itsnoNetflix. 😉
    Just finished A Spy Among Friends (ITVX)
    Very good and an excellent cast.

thols2

Unlikely to ever make it to Netflix, but Poker Face with Natasha Lyonne is quite entertaining.

https://www.techadvisor.com/article/1472290/watch-poker-face-outside-us.html

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Just watched dead to me on Netflix and we really enjoyed it.  It’s a black comedy and certainly stretched belief but full of great twists and very well acted  . If you are of a certain age you may remember the lead actress,  Christina Applegate from married with children.

malv173
    Free Member

Recently finished Our Flag Means Death.  I thought it was pretty good.  Nice, easy-going boy of telly.

Stopped watching The Rig after three episodes.  Absolute garbage.  For a pretty good cast,  it is a huge pile of nonsense.

On series two of Dark now though. I am very, very impressed. It’s bloody brilliant. Wish I’d started it sooner.

Also watching Everyone Else Burns. It’s good. Not mega funny, but funny.

Houns

Binged The Consultant on Prime the last 2 days. Odd but watchable due to Christoph Waltz and the strange character he plays. Left me with a few unanswered questions, and a golden toe.

raify
    Free Member

I’m old enough to have fond memories of the eighties spy thriller No Way Out. Probably haven’t seen it in thirty years…

Just found it on All4. It holds up really well. Kevin Costner, Gene Hackman, Sean Young. Great film.

thepodge
    Free Member

We’re watching Kaleidoscope, not the most taxing TV but Netflix plays the episodes in any random order and the story still makes sense which is a novel concept.

myti
    Free Member

I’m old enough to have fond memories of the eighties spy thriller No Way Out. Probably haven’t seen it in thirty years…

Oh that used to be one of my fav films back in the day. I did have a serious crush on Kevin Costner in that one.

myti
    Free Member

I have found something really different that I’m just loving on Netflix right now. It’s maybe a bit niche (feel like they have made this just for me) called The Makanai: Cooking for the Maiko House. If you are interested in Japanese culture and in particular cooking watch this. It’s also just a delightful, gentle thing to watch if life is getting too heavy. Make sure to watch in original Japanese not dubbed though. Also don’t watch when hungry.

chakaping
    Free Member

Probably don’t need to tell anyone that the new Drive to Survive is on NF now.

Still the top-tier sports docudrama, though I reckon that Gunther bloke is lining up a post-F1 career in panto.

Tennis version Break Point also on NF had a few moments but was a bit meh overall.

desperatebicycle

The new Joe Cornish series, Lockwood & Co. is pretty good. Ghost huntery thing, nicely done with it’s era of current time, but no major tech developments. More aimed at a teenage audience I reckon, but they’re all staring at their phones, so we can enjoy this instead of them 🙂 (That is Netflix)

Django series starts on Sky Atlantic tonight. Hoping the trailer doesn’t do it justice and it’s nice n gritty.

Cougar

I recently finished Lockwood & Co. Thoroughly enjoyed it and it’s not a huge investment. Series 2 plz kkthxbi.

metalheart
    Free Member

It’s maybe a bit niche (feel like they have made this just for me) called The Makanai: Cooking for the Maiko House

Good to hear that; it’s in my List… I do love the Netflix street food and taco programmes so had high hopes for this.

Still struggling with the timed release of the Crash Course in Romance K-drama as Hae-e is in a coma (oh noes!). Roll on the weekend and the finale…

Has anybody watched Snow Girl or Wrong Turn? I need a change from k-drama as I’ve kinda od’d on them atm…

vlad_the_invader

chakaping
    Free Member
    Probably don’t need to tell anyone that the new Drive to Survive is on NF now.

Still the top-tier sports docudrama, though I reckon that Gunther bloke is lining up a post-F1 career in panto.

Just binge watched it over last two evenings. Definitely straying further into “reality TV” realm. They must have got some very powerful mics to pick up on some of the supposedly private/candid conversations, unless the production company just dubbed the content for entertainment purposes…

myti
    Free Member

@metalheart

Good to hear that; it’s in my List… I do love the Netflix street food and taco programmes so had high hopes for this.

I’ve not watched those. They sound like documentary food progs? This is a fiction show but with lot’s of meals scattered throughout. Episode called illness was particularly lovely one for me, to do with collecting special ingredients from traditional producers to make a particular regional udon dish. I’m finding the story quite captivating too. Just so different from a Western teen show. Having to look up some of the words that don’t get translated to get a better understanding of some parts (the 2 M words in the shows title for starters

desperatebicycle

Oh dear. I found myself watching the No.1 (apparently) film on Netflix last night “Fall”. Unfortunately wasn’t a Mark E Smith Biopic… It was pretty terrible, though I haven’t got the the end (yet?), I can give a general overview. Starts with a rock climbing sequence. Now, I’ve never been mad enough to try such a thing, but if rock climbers rely on a partner to “catch” them when they jump across a chasm 500odd feet in the air, then they are madder than I thought. Then there’s trauma, my lordy there was trauma. I got to hating the 2 main characters so much I thought (and this is far from a spoiler!) if they do “fall” off a **** great tower I shall cheer and yelp with joy. Thing was though, when they did go up said tower, I found my palms getting really sweaty! I was actually nervous for the irritating bints! Still, as said I didn’t get to the end cos Last Of Us started on Sky. Sharknado with climbing was how my son described “Fall”. Get in!

fossy

Fall was rubbish. Although even the TV heights gave me the wobbles – I don’t do heights.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I found ‘Fall’ to be utterly terrifying (vertigo).

‘Belascorean’ (Mexican detective drama) was superb from start to finish.

‘The Ghost Writer’ was enjoyable, too. (Keep an eye out for Eli Wallach).

‘3Below’, part of the Guilermo Del Toro Trollhunter animated series is relentlessly inventive.
    The sheer standard of the animation is quite staggering.

fasthaggis

No.1 (apparently) film on Netflix

Yup,it’s a sad example of the what demographic are voting on the Netflix Top 10.
    Always best to check the reviews somewhere else,like STW 🙂

desperatebicycle

I don’t do heights

Me neither. The way they were leaning over/throwing things off the tower… man, it was painful to watch. 😆

are voting on the Netflix Top 10.
    I presumed it was “most watched” rather than voted for, but yeah, same thing really 😀

nuke

Room was a very good film we found on Prime over the weekend

2 episodes in and we’re enjoying The Gold (iPlayer)

Dark…4 episodes in and we’re just a bit meh about it and not sure whether to push on

chakaping
    Free Member

Definitely straying further into “reality TV” realm. They must have got some very powerful mics to pick up on some of the supposedly private/candid conversations, unless the production company just dubbed the content for entertainment purposes…

Yes I noticed more “scripted reality” type scenes in this season, where they were obviously rehashing conversations for the cameras.

My big gripe with it though (might not bother anyone else) is where an episode is following one driver, they’ll dub a bit of commentary as they go to race footage saying something like “he really needs to get those points this week if he’s going to stay ahead of XX in the championship”.

Feels like videogame commentary IYKWIM

fasthaggis

White Noise
    Have had it in the watch list for a while and got around to watching it last night .
    I liked it,as @2tyred said a while ago…

Definitely needs a second watch as there’s a lot to think about.

The closing credits are a joy

Kryton57

Luther: The Fallen Sun is out today. I’ll let you know how it is in about 2hrs…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yup. On my list too

Klunk
    Free Member

Series 1 of Poker face was excellent, some fantastic cameo’s a little murder she wrote perhaps with some “wacky” rewinds but a good watch.

Kuco

The Makanai: Cooking for the Maiko House, It isn’t what I thought it was going to be but enjoying it nonetheless. And I keep finding myself humming the end credits tune.

thols2

Series 1 of Poker face was excellent, some fantastic cameo’s a little murder she wrote perhaps with some “wacky” rewinds but a good watch.

Yes, it was very entertaining.

Kryton57

Luther: The Fallen Sun

The ending couldn’t have a more obvious message…. 😀

derek_starship
    Free Member

Thought Fall was okay but mostly I remember the blonde lady’s chebs.

Kryton57

I forgot to mention re Luther; if anyone knows Russ Jones from Hackney GT, check out the chap in the pub with grey hair and glasses at 1:27 onwards for a few mins…

Kuco

I’ve never seen Luther, do you have to know about it to watch the film?

jimmy

Thought Fall was okay but mostly I remember the blonde lady’s chebs.

[Adds Fall to watch list]

Kryton57

I’ve never seen Luther, do you have to know about it to watch the film?

Personally I think yes. You need to understand a bit of Luther’s character and IMO this film is not as strong as the series. You can watch it standalone, but I think you’ll end up with a “not sure what this Luther fascination is all about”.

The series are darker and more psychologically on the edge IMO, this is a bit more of an action film.

Kuco

Okay, thanks. I thought that might be the case.

teenrat

Just watched the Luther film. Started off well with the typical, dark serial killer, but then went a bit James Bond towards the end.

I do love Luther though and hope the ending signals more in the pipeline. Bring back Alice Morgan!

qwerty
    Free Member

+1

then went a bit James Bond towards the end

Idris should have been Bond, James Bond.

CheesybeanZ

Bring back Alice Morgan!

Oh yes please

Klunk
    Free Member

season 3 of Ted Lasso today

nickc

No.1 (apparently) film on Netflix

I always assumed this was just made up to encourage people to watch what they want you to watch.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,841 through 2,880 (of 3,914 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.