• This topic has 3,918 replies, 503 voices, and was last updated 1 hour ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,801 through 3,840 (of 3,919 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • leffeboy

Have we done ‘The Glory’ yet?  So not  Hollywood and such a pleasure to have to continually rewind 10secs to catch the dialogue.  Loving foreign language stuff at the moment because the pacing is often so different

martinhutch

We watched all three seasons twice. You have to concentrate really hard on it though. Slight lapse in concentration and you’ve had it

Drawing a flowchart or sticking it all in Excel helps too. 🙂

the gentlemen all a bit ‘ackneyed  by the end

Yeah, I’m on about episode seven and the fun part of the plot concept is rapidly disappearing. I’d rather Ray Winstone wasn’t in it (or Giancarlo Esposito), they are both a bit immersion-breaking.

binners

A couple of absolutely bonkers, really disturbing documentaries I’ve watched this week, both concerning internet nutjobbery of the highest order. An absolutely terrifying one about a ludicrously prolific stalker

Can I Tell You A Secret?

And then an equally as terrifying one about online conspiracy theorists

Accused: The Hampstead Paedophile Hoax

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

The Damsel, I watched it last night as a passenger, to me it was a bit of a vanity project (Millie Bobbie brown was an exec producer) that looked like she wanted to prove that she doesn’t have much acting range yet and nobody proof-read it for massive plot holes…

….thought she was great in Stranger Things and I’m sure she’ll continue to do well, but even as a piece of brains-out tits and Dragons fluff (without tits in the keeping it PG/12 sense) it was lacking. If they’d spent some of the cgi dragon budget on script writing, it probably would have been better.

summary = Middle aged man didn’t enjoy thriller made for tweenie girls 😉

kelvin

Whoever recommended Schitt’s Creek, thank you.

batfink
    Free Member

Just finished the Gentlemen.  Excellent – really enjoyed it for what it was: 8 hours of Guy Richie “greatest hits”.  It’s not particularly highbrow, but that’s ok – I thought it was great:  funny, stylish, with a decent plot and generally good fun.

Have since moved on to “The Regime” with Kate Winslet – seems good so far:  quite Armando Iannuci-ish.  Will report back

longdog
    Free Member

I watched The Gentlemen and actually enjoyed it despite my reservations, but I’d not rave about it.

What I am enjoying just now on netflix is Loudermilk, a comedy about a knob of a guy guy who runs an AA type group. 3 series and I’m just over half way through S2.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Halfway through The Gentlemen…… Enjoying it 👍

shinton
    Free Member

Started watching Turning Point: The Bomb and the Cold War on Netflix – “The series chronicles the creation of the atomic bomb and the spread of nuclear arms over the following decades. It continues past the dissolution of the Soviet Union to Vladimir Putin’s ascent and the Russian invasion of Ukraine.”

2 episodes in and very good so far.

Gilles

Loudermilk is very good – It took some times to like it but I’m okay now – “what come first, the chicken or the egg?” was my big laugh so far.

stayhigh

Binged The Gentleman and while it ticks a lot of the Guy Ritchie tropes, I found it a bit thin which is a shame ads generally I really enjoy his character development and dialogue.  It has of course left itself open for a second season.

ossify

I’m nearly done with The Night Agent, an episode or 2 left, it’s great.

If you like things like Jason Bourne or 24 this should be right up your street.

fasthaggis

>>> #notNetflix! <<< If you like books and want some easy watch TV,Richard E Grant is doing a travel series around some well known authors on BBC4/iPlayer.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p09nlfbk/write-around-the-world-with-richard-e-grant-series-1-episode-2

longdog
    Free Member

+1 for Night Agent, enjoyed that.

nicko74

We started The Gone on iPlayer – Irish detective teams up with a Kiwi detective in NZ to find some a missing Irish couple. Very good so far, if not every innovative. Only thing is I’m having watch with subtitles on as the accents and general talking through their teeth make the dialogue somewhat incomprehensible

chakaping
    Free Member

It sounds like Netflix have some decent stuff now I’ve not got it anymore.

I noticed Poor Things is on Disney+ now, and I’m gonna give that a watch when I have time.

nickc

Some bits of Poor Things are just Brilliant (with a capital B). Mark Ruffalo looks like he’s just having the greatest time ever. The scenes with him and Emma Stone are some of the funniest comedy I’ve seen in a while. The dance scene alone is worth a rewind, including the “I wink back, for polite, I think” line…But y’know it wouldn’t be a Yorgos Lanthimos film with a bit of controversy, and without giving too much away the “male gaze” on women’s sex is just a bit “icky” at some points in the film, and falls to the voyeuristic side of things on more than one occasion, I mean don’t get me wrong; Emma Stone’s boobs are lovely, but they do have quite a lot of screen time for no real discernible point.

Still worth a watch though.

crazy-legs

+1 for Night Agent, enjoyed that.

Night Agent was excellent, i think it popped up on here many many pages ago.
    There’s a season 2 in production at the moment.

Fat-boy-fat

Just started watching The Furies on Netflix. I’m quite enjoying it to be honest. A bit silly, French gangster/hitman thing.

lovewookie

Loudermilk is one we’ve binged through, saving the final few epsodes.. it’s really good, great dry sarcastic humour and some quite insightful moments wrapped up in there too.

started watching the forgotten, which seems good so far, but I seem to like things with Nicola Walker in it.

and finally started to watch Dexter, now reminded by the ‘have you got an internal monologue’ thread. on season 2 now, long way to go, but it’s entertaining.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

“The Damsel, I watched it last night as a passenger,”

My kids enjoyed it. Boys, for reference. It was reasonable.

The plot is thinner than a wafer thin mint.

Too much hiding + screaming, too little revenge-based-ass-whooping.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Queen of the South is good so far one series in and is supposed to get better.

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia is superb, another gem like Trailer Park Boys.

crazy-legs

“The Damsel, I watched it last night as a passenger,”

My kids enjoyed it. Boys, for reference. It was reasonable.

The plot is thinner than a wafer thin mint.

Too much hiding + screaming, too little revenge-based-ass-whooping.

Yeah, I said much the same a couple of pages ago. Could actually have been quite a good film if there’d been less running round a cave screaming and a bit more work from the scriptwriters. I’m curious as to how the dragon spoke such good English too although I suspect that’s giving the film more thought than any of the actors gave it.

I started watching Gray which seems to think of itself as some sort of spy series with twists but has been very slow moving and rather unclear on what sort of plot it has so far. Not sure I can be bothered with the final 3 episodes.

vlad_the_invader

Kin on BBC iPlayer.

An Irish version of the Sopranos set in Dublin.

I think this was mentioned a few pages back, and I’m definitely late to the party, but this was very good (series 1 is more of a slow burner but series 2 was exceptional IMO)

Anyone know if a Series 3 is in the pipeline?

salad_dodger

Not going to be a series 3 of Kin unfortunately.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Enjoying the Night Agent at the moment.

The Outfit is also worth a watch.

longdog
    Free Member

Just watched the new Roadhouse on Prime with Jake Gyllenhaal and Connor McGregor. Excellent Saturday night fun.  Much better than I’d expected.

rone

Just watched the new Roadhouse on Prime with Jake Gyllenhaal and Connor McGregor. Excellent Saturday night fun.  Much better than I’d expected.

I thought they did a great job with this.

Kept a 90s vibe with modern slickness.

Obviously McGregor has the physical attributes but his grinning presence was a bit too grating.  Gyllenhaal – so good at playing the downbeat loner. And the western references were welcome.

Thoroughly enjoyed though, and well shot on wide-angle lenses – and we’ve moved away from the Michael Bay approach to chop chop editing which is to be appreciated.

longdog
    Free Member

Oddly enough McGregor being in it nearly put me off watching it, but we both think he played the part exactly right as a psychopath nutter 🤣

Fat-boy-fat

I thought McGregor was useless in Roadhouse, but it was all just silly tosh, so didn’t make it unwatchable. I don’t see him having an acting career after this but, you never know …

ossify

Late to the party as usual and yeah I know it’s got its own thread but I’ve just finished Top Gun Maverick.

Could not stop grinning. Loved that. Wish I’d seen it on the big screen! 😎

retrorick

Finally got around to watching Ghostbusters Afterlife on the BBC.

Enjoyable.

I’ll watch the Frozen one in 3 years if I don’t make it to the cinema whilst it is currently showing.

timba
    Free Member

Anyone know if a Series 3 is in the pipeline?

Francis Magee, who played Brendan Kinsella, is also in s2 The Tourist as Frank McDonnell, an Irish crime lord.

Both series were running concurrently and it all got a bit confusing!

longdog
    Free Member

I thought McGregor was useless in Roadhouse, but it was all just silly tosh, so didn’t make it unwatchable. I don’t see him having an acting career after this but, you never know …

No I don’t see it either, but I still think he worked in that over the top psycho nutter role.

I actually watched original Roadhouse again yesterday, and really enjoyed it. Obviously more of its day, before MMA properly existed when karate and Kung fu etc were still ‘special’ things in films. Was amazed how skinny Swayze was compared to today’s buff hero’s. Noticeable lack of diversity back then too.

Kryton57

Enjoyed Road house, so there’s an original?

I don’t see him having an acting career after this but, you never know …

Expendables…

longdog
    Free Member

Enjoyed Road house, so there’s an original?

One of us is showing their age or lack or it 🤣

Yes, Patrick Swayze in 1989. It’s grrrrreat.

sirromj

I was at the age where Big Trouble in Little China appealed more to my sense of humour than Roadhouse… maybe… it was a long time ago. For instance I remembered this clip differently, but perhaps was confusing it with a Jackie Chan film.

longdog
    Free Member

Erm… That’s Kurt Russell 🤔

wordnumb
    Free Member

No, that’s Ming the Merciless.

thepodge
    Free Member

The shorter members of the household have been really enjoying some westernised animé such as The Legend of Korra so was wondering if anyone has a Crunchyroll subscription & if you think it’s worth it.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,801 through 3,840 (of 3,919 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.