Viewing 40 posts - 2,801 through 2,840 (of 3,900 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • vazaha

It gives me great pleasure to announce that Our Flag Means Death has appeared over the horizon on iPlayer –

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0dk8v81/our-flag-means-death-series-1-1-pilot

nicko74

Two from me this weekend: RRR on Netflix, which is the big Hindi/ Tamil film that’s been talked about quite a lot recently. It’s long (3 hours), silly (with ridiculous effects) but very entertaining with a pizza and a glass of wine.
    And Karen Pirie on ITVx. 3x 90 minute episodes, standard detective investigating an old murder shtick, this time in St Andrews, but still entertaining and compelling.

timmys

My son loves it! Pretty sure he’s watched it all the way through.

I’ve watched a bit with him. Can you explain what the judges see on the stage when they’re watching the performers?

Exactely same here, my kids loved it…and would be interested to hear what the judges see!

chakaping
    Free Member

It gives me great pleasure to announce that Our Flag Means Death has appeared over the horizon on iPlayer –

Looking forward to watching this with my daughter.

Sounds like a pirate version of Norsemen / What We Do In The Shadows?

jonjones262
    Free Member

Replying to the Dance Monsters question:

The Judges/Audience saw nothing on stage, there was a screen above so they saw a bit of what was going on. We were backstage with the mo-cap volume and the performers. Some of it was live, other bits of motion pre-recorded.

It was all streamed through Unreal, with motion control cameras etc, all lined up seamlessly with the live action/CG characters.

It was amazing tech to bring it all together

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/dance-monsters-cgi

My Dad made the coloured stickers on the front of the headcams. 🙂

theotherjonv

It’s not Netflix, or Disney, or any of the film style productions but a word for National Theatre at home.

More expensive than your average at £9.99 / mo, or you can rent individually (but some can be expensive on their own) – however compared to a live theatre ticket it’s still way cheaper. And although you miss the fact it’s live, some are still bloody good.

The wife and i watched Prima Facie last night – a single-hand production, just Jodie Comer on stage for an hour 45. Incredible raw performance on a very thought provoking topic (no spoilers, you can google or watch the trailer if you want to know more)

https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/ntathome

timmys

It gives me great pleasure to announce that Our Flag Means Death has appeared over the horizon on iPlayer

I watched the first episode yesterday and was pretty underwhelmed. Mind you, I didn’t like the film of What we Do in the Shadows particularly, but loved the series when that came along, so maybe it’s worth giving it a bit more time.

nickc

The Pale blue eye is worth a watch

Watched it last night, and apart from the grating 21st C slip-ups in the script (lots of Yeah,OK and so on) it’s quite enjoyable. The Poe character especially was fun

desperatebicycle

Our Flag Means Death

Lasted about 10 mins. It just wasn’t funny.

thols2

The Pale blue eye is worth a watch

I enjoyed it. Look out for this guy in the tavern.

zilog6128

Our Flag Means Death

that’s a shame, was looking forwards to it. Cast looks good, lots of UK/NZ comedians I recognise! I must admit though I was disappointed when I saw it was a US production… period comedy is our thing 😃

thols2

I watched the first episode, thought it was amusing rather than laugh out loud funny. I’ll get back to it when I’m done with some other shows that I have queued up.

chakaping
    Free Member

Our Flag Means Death – watched three episodes last night and enjoyed it.

Not as derivative as I expected, very Taika Waititi in that it’s quirky and different – very character driven.

Not many big laughs but it’s funny enough. Definitely more hit than miss for me.

desperatebicycle

Certainly not interesting enough to deserve it’s own thread! 😆

desperatebicycle

Wildcat on Prime is worth a watch. Proper emotional rollercoaster for a wildlife doc 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Godless (not new but new to Netflix) was a very enjoyable western tale. Some cracking gunfights and a bit more grit. Jeff Daniels plays the villain really well, as does Jack O’Connell the protagonist. Michelle Dockery and Merritt Wever are also excellent as the lead women. Scott Frank (he of Queen’s Gambit) tells a cracking tale leading to the climax you wait for from E01. All the villains are properly villainous too. 🤠

Finally got round to Banshees of Inisherin. Loved it. Gleeson and Farrell both very good but I especially loved Kerry Condon’s portrayal of Pádraic’s sister, Siobhán.

For anyone that didn’t catch it at the time, Nomadland is on Disney+. Just put the phone away, open a beer, sit back and enjoy what is just a wonderful film. I was expecting a lot more grit and misery to be honest, but it was far more heartwarming and uplifting (to me anyway). So many of the cameo roles are just pitched perfectly but it’s McDormand that rules the movie for me. She’s as good as you might expect her to be.

Houns

Despite previous comments somewhere on stw I watched the rig. Don’t.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Despite previous comments somewhere on stw I watched the rig. Don’t.

Jaysus, it was awful wasn’t it? 😣

winston
    Free Member

Was very much looking forward to watching Glass Onion last night after thoroughly enjoying the first one but what a disappointment. Everyone got the memo about being ultra self aware and to reference every sub-trend over the last two years but not the one about being able to act. Plot was risible and cinematography was just a confused mess. There was the potential of a good movie in there somewhere but it was lost up its own arse. Shame as poking fun at self styled ‘disruptors’ is well overdue but opportunity lost.

But I did also watch The Sting as my wife had never seen it – still good after all these years – incredible how so many modern films owe such a debt to it.

timmys

No sure if it’s been done in this thread, but really enjoyed The Menu (Disney+). I enjoyed it more than Glass Onion (and I liked Glass Onion).

desperatebicycle

McDormand that rules the movie for me. She’s as good as you might expect her to be.

Watched Blood Simple the other day, first time rewatched it since the 80s, she’s rather different! but still superb. 😊

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Will check that out. Rings a bell – but I’m struggling to remember it.

EDIT: Bloody hell, of course, it’s early Coen Bros isn’t it.

qwerty
    Free Member

Convenience 👍🏻

fooman

Anyone else viewing Make it at Market on iPlayer? With slightly prozaic title and odd viewing times this gem is easily missed so wanted to share. It features people trying to take their craft from hobby to business, with help and advice from established experts. Unsurprisingly a Repair Shop feel as it’s presented by Dom Chinea. It’s really fascinating watching people create both volume and high end pieces for sale, a wide range of skills on display, the quality of the work is really high.

johnx2
    Free Member

“Sex lives of college girls” on ITVx . There I’ve said it. Some of the same people as never have I ever in the production team and similar feel. Watched on the strength of Lucy Mangan giving it a rave. Funny enough to justify sitting through all the ads.

By all means google the title if you want to find reviews.

desperatebicycle

I did enjoy that Florence Pugh film “The Wonder” (yep, yer actual Netflix!) wassisname off of Strike was good in it too.

ossify

Just realised that season 2 of Alice in Borderland is out, so 3 episodes into that now.

Fans of Squid Game will like this, I think it’s better (the whiny overreacting protagonist in SG annoyed me).
    Also after watching Squid Game I found My Name, also enjoyed more than SG 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Quick 👍 to @salad_dodger for the Mystery Road reminder. Binged it. Thought it was very good indeed (although kinda guessed who one of the main villains would be at the beginning but enjoyed the ride to the conclusion).

tenfoot

Just realised that season 2 of Alice in Borderland is out, so 3 episodes into that now.

Just finished this. The penultimate episode was frantic. Much better than Squid Game.

leffeboy

Netflix ‘Woman of the dead’ has been very good.  Austria crime drama but goes places you don’t expect which is excellent.  You can spot stuff coming up in advance but that’s also a sign of something that’s well done.  Good number of ‘well that wouldn’t happen’ moments but again you kind of live with it for the overall story and action.  Worth watching in Austrian with English subtitles, it feels better than in dubbed English for some reason.

metalheart
    Free Member

Alice in Borderland looks interesting (watched all of half an episode). Will save it for when I’m more ‘in the mood’ though.

Not sure if mentioned here (assume that it must be though) started watching Hellbound. Enjoy isn’t exactly the word I’d use as only 3 episodes in and it’s **** grim.

Currently enjoying (apart from the 2 episodes a week) Crash Course in Romance. An excellent antidote to Hellbound🙃 The bit when (the young) Hae-a asks Haeng-seon if she can call her ‘Oma’, OMG I think I watched that bit about 1/2 dozen times… and it got very dusty.

Added The Silent Sea as it features the excellent Bae DooNa (so have high hopes for!) and Fabulous (because it stars Chae Soo Bin). I do find with k-drama that my objectivity is lessened as I pretty much always ‘fall in love’ with the female lead(s)…🙈

nuke

Alice in Borderland is excellent and we finished season 2 last night and enjoyed the season….some great games entwined with the ongoing plot to get back to the ‘real’ world

After squid games we churned through various similar recommendations including AiB, Hellbound, Sweet Home, Kingdom. AiB was the best.  Still have Vincenzo and All of us are dead to try but will be adding My name

Creg

Most of the stuff I watch on Netflix is Kdrama. Although I tried to get into Squid Game it just didn’t do it for me.

All Of Us Are Dead is very good and a second season has been confirmed for it. There’s a new season of Hellbound and Sweet Home on the way too.

I’m 5 episodes into Prison Playbook which is very good and although it leaves Netflix on 31/1 it is also available on Amazon Prime.

For more KDrama stuff theres Vagabond, Taxi Driver, Sisyphus, Bad Guys, Bad Guys: Vile City, The Uncanny Counter, Extra Curricular, Weak Hero Class One (although this isn’t on Netflix).

fooman

All Of Us Are Dead is very good

I’m glad another season is coming, I liked the way it came at the zombie apocalypse from new angles (school kids and social media) and *spoiler* Korean authorities getting on top of the problem.

DrJ

Quick 👍 to @salad_dodger for the Mystery Road reminder. Binged it. Thought it was very good indeed

Yes it was. We also liked the film of the book “The Dry”. Again, the environment is the star of the show.

vazaha

It gives me even greater pleasure to announce that Jojo Rabbit is now available without having to hoist the Black Flag…

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/jojo-rabbit/on-demand/72910-001

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Film rather than series, but I enjoyed Jung E (wife fell asleep though).

DrJ

Following recommendation here we are catching up with Love/Hate. Along with the new BBC4 Saturday evening thriller (North Sea Connection) I am getting the feeling that the Emerald Isle is actually wall to wall drug dealers and murderers. Feeling quite nervous about booking a holiday there!

chakaping
    Free Member

Girls5Eva has just arrived on Netflix UK.

Nice, silly sitcom about a middle-aged girl group, worth a look if you like Kimmy Schmidt, 30 Rock etc.

toby1

Can’t recall seeing it on here before, but Amazon and ‘The Peripheral’ is entertaining if not somewhat over-acted by some of the cast. Chloe Grace Moretz is good in it though.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,801 through 2,840 (of 3,900 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.