Viewing 40 posts - 3,841 through 3,880 (of 4,057 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but enjoyed _Reality_ on Prime. Quite a quirky little film. Enjoyed the rising tension. Quite good to watch it then have a read of the true story behind it.

longdog
    Free Member

Yeh I enjoyed Reality too, quite and odd film, but interesting and quite important too

kilo

Finders Keepers on Amazon. Absolutely batshit crazy.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned All the Light We Cannot See? Just finished watching that and it was rather good

ossify

Happened to notice Ford vs Ferrari on Disney+, apparently it’s from 2019 with Christian Bale and Matt Damon, why have I never heard of this?? Anyway it seemed good so I gave it a watch…

What a fantastic film. And those cars 😍

Also whoever did the music for the final Le Mans race is a genius. That staccato beat! Really ramped up the tension.

retrorick

if anyone has a Crunchyroll subscription & if you think it’s worth it.

I’ve watched lots of anime on crunchyroll (when it had a free with adverts option) over the years but never subscribed.

I think you can still watch a few episodes of most series on a phone rather than a TV (android TV with their app) to get a good idea if it is worth subscribing to unlock the rest of the series?

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll perhaps give that a try

johnners
    Free Member

I enjoyed “Next Goal Wins” last night on Disney+. Very broad as you might expect from Taika Waititi, who can be a bit hit or miss for me but if you’re in the mood for some good hearted foolishness it might fit the bill. My 87 year old mum loved it!

It was certainly a departure from “The Iron Claw” which we’d watched with a family group on Sunday night – I can recommend that if you’re in the mood for 2 hours of unremitting misery. It’s a decent film but I’d wait for the rental cost to drop. Gloom shouldn’t be that pricey imo!

johnners
    Free Member

Happened to notice Ford vs Ferrari on Disney+, apparently it’s from 2019 with Christian Bale and Matt Damon, why have I never heard of this?? Anyway it seemed good so I gave it a watch…

“Ferrari” on Now/Sky is worth a watch. It’s a bit more of a character study but the long Mille Miglia sequence is quite exciting, even if the character of the race means there’s very little car-on-car action.

chakaping

Also enjoyed Kin, and I suppose it was a good place to finish.

Loved Poor Things (Disney+), so clever and enjoyable. Well deserved Oscar for Emma Stone.

I think someone criticised the nudity earlier, but that might give an unfair impression of the film. It’s the opposite of gratuitous IMO.

chakaping

Roadhouse was really good, cheers 👍

Fun fact: it was directed by Doug Liman who made Swingers in the 90s.

martinhutch

Had a look at ‘Scoop’ on Netflix – the story of how Newsnight got the ‘I can’t sweat, actually’ Prince Andrew interview…

Rufus Sewell, Keeley Hawes and Billie Piper all excellent, and Gillian Anderson uncannily accurate as Emily Maitlis!

Also benefited from being a single drama, rather than split into an endless six-parter as usual on Netflix.

nicko74

Bashed through True Detective S4 on Sky and it’s very good. Only 6 episodes, but that felt plenty long enough; the characters are all good, and the fact that it’s about women (where the others have been mainly about men) really isn’t A Thing, it’s just the story.
    Not sure why Christopher Eccleston is in it mind; he’s probably the weakest character, and the one that most takes you out of the moment, but hey ho.
    Also watched the first couple of episodes of The Gentlemen. I was sceptical beforehand – how will I care enough about any of it for 6 hours of a 2-hour film – but it’s pretty entertaining, and will definitely be finishing it soon.

longdog
    Free Member

Yeh I watched Scoop out of interest as I’d really liked the original documentary on ‘the Scoop’ despite never having actually watched the interview itself.

Scoop’s ok, and as you say atleast it’s a one off, not dragged out over 6 episodes, but I’d recommend the actual documentary more.  Andrew the problem prince on 4OD.

timmys

Chiming in to recommend Kin after finishing series 1.

toby1

Roadhouse was really good, cheers

With the exception of McGregor who as mentioned in an earlier post is a pretty terrible actor.
    I thought the characters were a bit thin, but it was fun enough movie.

American Fiction (Prime I think) was really interesting and had some fun moments.

I persuaded my wife to try The Gentlemen which is going down as very Guy Richie but fun stupidity all the same.

batfink
    Free Member

I’m on the last episode of “3 Body Problem”, and have really enjoyed it.  People are bashing it for 2 reasons:  “it’s complicated/confusing” which is one of the reasons I’m enjoying it, and “Eiza Gonzalez is miscast – she’s too beautiful” which is another of the reasons I’m really enjoying it.  In all seriousness, it’s nice to have something that’s not too badly dumbed down – the performances are great, and the script is good (although Liam Cunningham gets all the best lines).  I get the feeling that there’s a lot from the books that has been lost to try to get it to fit a TV show – so I think I’ll be reading the book after I finish the last episode.

The first few episodes, you sit there thinking “wtf is going on?!” – and personally, I really like then the gradual explanation of what’s happening in the subsequent episodes, with the pieces falling into place.  But I know that some people find it frustrating.

Watched the first episode of “A Gentleman in Moscow” and was disappointed – I really enjoyed the book, and the fundamental nature of the character just isn’t coming across.  I’ll give it another episode to see if it gets better.

Otherwise, I’m keen to start Shogun.

“Ripley” can get in the bin.  The Mat Damon version was one of the dullest films I’ve ever seen – and this promises the same….. but in B&W.  Hard pass.

“Sugar” is available now too – looks like a basic Ramond Chandler, private detective in the seedy underbelly of tinseltown, kind of thing.  Will watch the first one and see if it delivers.

Bashed through True Detective S4 on Sky and it’s very good. Only 6 episodes, but that felt plenty long enough; the characters are all good, and the fact that it’s about women (where the others have been mainly about men) really isn’t A Thing, it’s just the story. Not sure why Christopher Eccleston is in it mind; he’s probably the weakest character, and the one that most takes you out of the moment, but hey ho.

Yeah – I thought it was good enough, but S3 remains the high point IMO.  I’m found it frustrating that various plot-points/angles are just left completely unresolved at the end – with this being glossed over as part of the “supernatural mystery”:  how did the tongue get there?  What was the reason for the scorched retinas etc in the victims?  Having tied myself up in knots trying to understand what might have happened – just leaving a huge plot point completely unexplained/unresolved is beyond frustrating.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

“Ripley” can get in the bin. 

Ha, we’re really enjoying Ripley! Amazing cinematography. I’ll give you it moves at a fairly leisurely pace in the first couple of episodes, but worth sticking with

DrJ

I’m enjoying Ripley as well. Yes it’s a bit of a spoof but it’s entertaining and the cinematography is, as mentioned above, spectacular.

martinhutch

Struggled a bit with Ripley, which is gorgeous to look at but I’m not sure Andrew Scott is right for the role. Ripley in the books and the Minghella film version is much younger, and while Scott does a great psychopath, I’m not sure he’s able to nail the superficial charm and naive appearance that makes you believe he could worm his way into friendship with the other characters. Mat Damon’s performance is still the benchmark for me, and I’m missing Jude Law and Philip Seymour Hoffman too.

I’m sure there is a plan to film the later novels where Ripley is much older (where Scott would be perfect).

BoardinBob

Late to the game with this but Mr Inbetween on Disney plus is just fantastic. 3 series and I think it ended a couple of years ago. It’s about an Australian hitman and his day to day life. That description doesn’t do it justice. It’s hilarious, violent, emotional, tragic, grim and just about any other adjective you can imagine. Wonderful characters and story

johnx2
    Free Member

We’re enjoying Ripley but agree that Scott is too old for the part. The actor’s 47 and looks it, not his fault but still. Makes suspension of disbelief harder.

Anyway, the settings are incredible and the clothes are fantastic, and it’s an enjoyable dark edgy watch.

3 bod prob I’ve gone back to and it’s a stinker. I’ve no problem with the plot or actors particularly though they’ve an uphill struggle with unsayable dialogue. It’s the jaw dropingly poor writing. (Exception being the early China scenes. In Chinese.)

I can’t see them making another series. Why did no one say anything?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’m not sure he’s able to nail the superficial charm and naive appearance that makes you believe he could worm his way into friendship with the other characters.

I hadn’t really considered his age, but agree it’s sometimes hard to believe some of the other characters don’t realise how dangerous he is.

nickc

Ha, we’re really enjoying Ripley!

Gave up after one episode: No aliens, no space marines, isn’t set in the future, what the hell?!  Zero stars.

Started watching Physical:100 on Netflix as a joke, and while the first ep is kinda dull (skip after you work out what’s going on) the actual show is weirdly compelling.

nicko74

American Fiction (Prime I think) was really interesting and had some fun moments.

Yes! I’d forgotten about this as we watched with wine, but it was very entertaining and well worth watching. Slightly frustrating ending, but well worth it.

I’m found it frustrating that various plot-points/angles are just left completely unresolved at the end – with this being glossed over as part of the “supernatural mystery”: how did the tongue get there? What was the reason for the scorched retinas etc in the victims? Having tied myself up in knots trying to understand what might have happened – just leaving a huge plot point completely unexplained/unresolved is beyond frustrating.

It’s a really good point; I did find myself yesterday wondering about some of the bits it never wrapped up, but it didn’t bother me, unusually.

nickc

how did the tongue get there?

Hank cuts it out. and the women find it, bring it back, or Annie’s spirit brings it back and leaves it there. Your choice.

desperatebicycle

Chan 4’s streaming receptacle – https://www.channel4.com/programmes/hit-the-road

Great little film (available from tomorrow as its on at about 2am tonight)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

“although Liam Cunningham gets all the best lines”

Yes he does, by a country mile.

3 Body was pretty good. I’ve read the book, it wouldn’t translate directly, the series is “a bit different” but captures the essence of the book quite well.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Just finished Andor on Disney+, which was really good. Moody, well-written, balanced and dark.

CountZero

Just finished episode 3 of Ripley, and I’m really enjoying it. The criticism of his age isn’t really relevant, there’s loads of films where actors are nowhere near the age the characters are supposed to be, in both directions. As others have said though, the cinematography is breathtaking, the choice of monochrome gives it so much atmosphere and character, and you tend to focus so much more on texture and light and shade, like it had been filmed by Ansel Adams. 👌🏼

vlad_the_invader

Another vote for Turning Point: The Bomb And The Cold War (Netflix)

However, on the Gaza thread someone recommended Storyville: The Gatekeepers (BBC)  about the Israeli Shin Bot intelligence agency. I found that very difficult to follow (and not just because the protagonists were interviewed in Hebrew) as the story jumped around too much to follow. Very little context is provided so you needed to know your Middle Eastern history and politics to get the most from it. Thumbs down from me.

batfink
    Free Member

I watched “scoop” last night – thoroughly enjoyed it (wasn’t expecting to).

Gillian Anderson absolutely nailed her depiction of Maitlis, and Rufus Sewell was absolutely uncanny as Prince Andrew.  The actual interview sequence conveyed the absolutely toe-curling cringeworthiness of what was broadcasted and the whole thing re-ignited the whole “what the hell was he/his people thinking?!?” discussion in chateaux Batfink.

Thought Billy Piper was good too – Although her performance was obviously a bit subtler than those other two.

jimster01

Currently doing The Gunpowder Plot, historical drama, and really enjoying it.

Pity that we all know the ending.

lambchop
    Free Member

Succession. Finally gotten round to it. Typical HBO goodness. Not a pleasant character in it. A bit like the STW forum.

chakaping

Not a pleasant character in it. A bit like the STW forum.

Oh, the pic function is gone and my HTML isn’t working.

Can you just imagine a GIF of Logan Roy saying “oh **** off” please?

Klunk
    Free Member

Fallout dropped this morning

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

“Succession”

Consistently ace through to completion.

misteralz
    Free Member

Delicious in Dungeon. Japanimation adventure and cooking show.

funkmasterp

Fallout dropped this morning

If the main character doesn’t become head crippled, killed by a fire ant or over encumbered from picking up everything they come across then I’ll be disappointed. A true depiction would be the main plot starting and the protagonist getting distracted and wandering off for several hours, before the episode crashes and they have to start again.

Fat-boy-fat

Enjoying the start of Anthracite on Netflix. French spooky (not really) murder thing in the Alps. This seems to be of a French TV speciality (remember something involving a school bus full of kids and an investigation years later), but it is off to a good start for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,841 through 3,880 (of 4,057 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.