Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 3,914 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • MSP

Utopia was ace.

Anyone seen the US remake?

I read a review, which painted it so badly that I burnt the review and tried to forget the US version even existed. Thanks for reminding me.

myti
    Free Member

“I Came By” is worth a watch

Funny, I read a rave review of it. Said there were hidden depths to it, that only come out if you stick with it, or something. I found it bloody hard to stick with something with such wooden acting and a terribly “try-hard” script! Might have to give it another try.

Where was that review?! The Daily Star? Seriously don’t bother looking for hidden depths. That’s nearly 2 hrs of my life I’m not getting back. Plot line bin dun to death and relying purely on shock and awe tactics to keep you watching. Plus Hugh Boneville as a baddie is just wrong. Give me Downton any day over this rubbish.

Edit to bring something a little positive to the table… I’m enjoying Standing Up on Netflix a few episodes in. Guessing the algorithms recommended it to me as I liked Call my Agent. Both French comedy dramas.

cogglepin

Watched The Good Liar on  Netflix yesterday, well worth a watch. Sir Ian Mackellan and Helen Mirren.

Anytime watching Midnight Mass?

Does it get going, first couple of episodes were tedious?

woody2000

I enjoyed Midnight Mass, it definitely changes up a gear after a few episodes.  All IMO of course!

desperatebicycle

Where was that review?! The Daily Star?

No! A proper film magazine! Guess I was right to turn the shite off then 😀

spacemonkey

Samaritan on Prime. Pretty good and watchable.

Missus and I gave up on this after an hour. Felt like a remix of a badly written 80s/90s superhero-wannabe that should never have made it to the scripting stage.

On a more positive note, The Man Who Saved The World is excellent. The first few minutes has us wondering if they were using actors or if it was an actual documentary… then you realise which it is and get caught up in the whole history or what happened on that day in 1983 and how the titular chap really did save us from being wiped out.

oldtennisshoes

Anyone watching The Sinner?
    We’ve watch the first 3 episodes and it just appears to be rambling nonsense with the explanations for the behaviours changing every episode. Any thoughts?

thols2

Samaritan on Prime. Pretty good and watchable.

I thought it was a good popcorn movie. Not great, but entertaining enough if you want predictable superhero stuff.

woody2000

@oldtennisshoes – are you watching the 1st series? First 2 series are good IMO, you have to stick with them as they do tie up the story lines well – the 1st series particularly wraps it up really well.  The 3rd and 4th series were not as good I thought, Bill Pullman’s character just gets a bit tedious!

dyna-ti

Just watched Barbarians. German film series(6 episodes), in German and Italian(Roman)

Account of Rome’s occupation of Germania Magna, resulting in rebellion and the Battle of Teutoburg Forest, in which the German tribes massacred 3 Roman legions(16,500 troops)

More a historical telling than purely a film series. Quite good I thought. Bit of artistic license but main aspects of it were true to history

mahalo

Does it get better?

NO

ta11pau1

This has so much potential. For anyone who knows the game series, #pleaseletitbegood

shinton
    Free Member

The Least Expected Day season 3 seems to have dropped in quietly on Netflix. Covers the inside story of Miguel Angel Lopez spitting the dummy at the 2021 Vuelta amongst other things

andylc
    Free Member

I would usually run a mile from a TV rehash of a game, but I’ll definitely make an exception for The Last of Us…

uggski

Dahmer. Deeply disturbing how often the Police missed catching him.

Merak

Watching Dahmer at the moment. Deeply disturbing watch to be honest. The guy playing him is excellent, but yeah just not easy to watch.

timba
    Free Member

Just binged “Wrexham” on Disney+ and I don’t follow football. I found the Rob McElhenney & Ryan Reynolds set pieces laboured on occasions, but otherwise really interesting

desperatebicycle

Anyone remember the fab Belgian series from a few years back The Out-Laws ?

Sharon Horgan’s Brit remake is on AppleTV+ and is supposed to be pretty funny. I watched the original and haven’t got AppleTV, so can’t swear by it, but Horgan usually does good stuff 😀
    Oh yeah it’s called Bad Sisters.

james-rennie

I’m giving a thumbs up to Inside Man on BBC1, David Tennant doing his acting stuff is almost always good.

StuE
    Free Member

Watched the first episode of The old man on Disney + last night and it got off to a promising start
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5645432/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

fasthaggis

Aye,it’s not bad.
    Jeff Bridges is always watchable.
    His dogs are ace 😀

avdave2

Watching Dahmer at the moment. Deeply disturbing watch to be honest. The guy playing him is excellent, but yeah just not easy to watch.

He’s brilliant, so understated and the shifts between affable and psychotic are so subtle and so menacing. As good a performance as Rhea Seehorn in Better Call Saul, acting so good you have no idea that’s what your watching. I think the guy playing the father is also excellent and really like the fact that the victims are portrayed as real people with real lives.

mahalo

Finished Dahmer last night. As mentioned, it’s an absolute masterclass. The lady who plays his neighbour in the later episodes is brilliant too.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Also watched The Old Man, really enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges and dogs, winning combo. I’ve a sneaking suspicion of the twist or twists but can’t be sure which is the making of all good telly.

thols2

Watched the first episode of The old man

It was an ok popcorn thriller. Good cast, utterly silly plot.

bigdean

Anyone mentioned edgerunners yet?

Set in cyberpunk 2077 night city and looks heavily styled as ghost in the shell and bits of Akira mixed together.

Supposed to be good.

desperatebicycle

Loving The Old Man so far, really involving. Jeff Bridges is fab.

timba
    Free Member

The Spy. Sacha Baron Cohen, unbelievable true story. Same writer as the series that became Homeland in the US

jwt
    Free Member

Has anyone else watched any of ‘Archive 81’?
    Interesting first episode, but the Mrs is watching Dahmer and needs time away from the telly afterwards, so waiting on chance to watch episode two.

thols2

Has anyone else watched any of ‘Archive 81’?

I watched a couple of episodes and got bored, I think. Either that or it was so forgettable that I don’t remember what happened.

scuttler

Anyone watching S2 of the sex + coke fest that is Industry on iPlayer? I have no idea what’s happening most of the time but enjoying it all the same. Tune into the background chatter, it’s brilliant.

chakaping
    Free Member

Watched Everything Everywhere All at Once on Prime last night.

Bloody mad, absurd, creative, hilarious and emotional at points. Would recommend. Especially if you like hot dogs.

re. Dahmer, I know it’s Netflix’s big new thing, but I’m filing it with their Jimmy Savile documentary under “nah, you’re alright mate”.

Just binged “Wrexham” on Disney+ and I don’t follow football. I found the Rob McElhenney & Ryan Reynolds set pieces laboured on occasions,

Totally agree, it’s like they saw Sunderland Til I Die and thought “hey let’s try that”, but the forced & unfunny interludes with those two only detract from the show.

At least I’ve been confirmed in my opinion that Ryan Reynolds isn’t actually funny (Rob is, but they don’t really click as a double act).

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone watching S2 of the sex + coke fest that is Industry on iPlayer? I have no idea what’s happening most of the time but enjoying it all the same. Tune into the background chatter, it’s brilliant.

I’ll get it lined up (pun intended), the first series was impressive stuff IMO.

Good soundtrack from Nathan Micay as well.

lakesrider
    Free Member

Just watched ‘into the deep’, documentary about the Peter Madsen submarine journalist murder, it’s a film that was meant to be about his rocket stuff, but while they were making that documentary he murdered the journalist. Some of the stuff he comes out with on the film is crazy once you know what’s happened on the sub

johnx2
    Free Member

Halfway through Bang Bang Baby on Prime. It’s good. Wasn’t sure whether to expect teen drama with retro 80s Italian gangster elements, but it’s actually more of an ensemble piece of grotesques. Good fun and well done, not quite a comedy and some good actors (the teacher from My Brilliant Friend is great as scary boss granny). You’ll know quickly if you can get on with its sort of surreal level, but I’m enjoying it.

fasthaggis

Now 3 episodes in to The Old Man(Disney) I like it,has the old original 24 feel about it and the main characters are really watchable.

DrJ

Oh yeah it’s called Bad Sisters.

Didn’t know it’s a remake, but we are loving it 🙂

gobuchul
    Free Member

Enjoying Stephen Graham in The Walk In on ITV player at the moment.

He’s knocking out of the park again.

thols2

Anyone mentioned edgerunners yet?

I’m about half way through it. I’m not that into cyberpunk stuff, but it’s entertaining.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 3,914 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.