Viewing 40 posts - 2,401 through 2,440 (of 3,914 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • toby1

While it should need saying Stranger things S4, I’m about 4 episodes in and love it.

Also, haven’t actually watched any yet, but The Boys S3 on Amazon would have to go a long way not to get my commendation!

claudie

Ive been dipping in and out of this post whenever Ive needed a new series but I haven’t seen any mention of Derry Girls. Absolutely loved it and still feeling a sense of loss two weeks after watching the final episode!

thols2

Night Sky on Amazon starts slow but seems decent. I just finished ep3 and it looks like the pace is going to pick up.

I just watched ep 1 of Made for Love on HBO. Looks very promising. Don’t know how I missed it when it came out, probably just dismissed it because of the title.

DrJ

New series of Borgen. Only watched one and it was spoiled by a silly bit of unrealistic oil industry content. Nice sbots of Disko Bay in Greenland, though.

Kryton57

New series of Borgen

So thats where its gone – its been a while, I’ll check out!

roger_mellie

Night on Earth, Netflix. Nature documentary filmed with HD night cameras. Actually looks far better than my fairly crap summary makes it sound. Without so much of the endless peril and things eating other things that Attenborough loves.

avdave2

The Spider’s Web on Netflix. Fascinating, horrific and utterly depressing. If after all the shit of the last 6 years you thought you couldn’t hold your country in greater contempt prepare to realise you were wrong

CheesybeanZ

Enjoyed The Highwaymen, tried watching The harder they fall but neither of us could get into it.
    Finished watching Squid Game ….

Klunk
    Free Member

loving the irony bypass

desperatebicycle

Sky Atlantic tonight at 9 – “We Own This City” … From the writers of The Wire. Gotta be good.

thols2

Sky Atlantic tonight at 9 – “We Own This City” … From the writers of The Wire. Gotta be good.

It is. David Simon does get a bit preachy at times but that’s a pretty minor quibble. It’s quite sobering watching it and knowing that it was based on real events.

cinnamon_girl

A q re “Borgen” is it being shown weekly or is the whole series available? How many parts? Don’t have Netflix but would be interested in signing up for a very short time to watch “Borgen” only. Thanks!

savoyad

@cinnamongirl do you mean season 4? It’s branded separately as Borgen Power and Glory, it’s 8 parts, they are all available.

cinnamon_girl

Very helpful @savoyad, thanks.

johnners
    Free Member

Well, it’s OK but it’s no “Wire”, that’s for sure. It’s got some of the same actors though, good to see Marlo’s turned over a new leaf.

desperatebicycle

Well, it’s OK but it’s no “Wire”, that’s for sure.
    Agreed! And the Walking Dead guy is over-acting his arse off. Guess he’s playing a real-life character who was like that, but man it’s all a bit too Bill Bixby for me.

toby1

Stranger Things S4, looking at imdb there are more episodes to come, having just got to the end of 7, I’m glad to see it doesn’t just end there!

CheesybeanZ

not normally a Sandler fan but really enjoyed Hustle.

qwerty
    Free Member

I don’t like horror films but stumbled across 3 From Hell which was great in a bloodthirsty kinda way.

dyna-ti

I’m now watching ‘Thieves of the wood’

Original languages were Dutch with some French and German.  It’s dubbed into English, but you dont really notice, which is always a good sign.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m more than a little obsessed with K-drama at the moment.

I kinda fell into vía Kate (the Elisabeth Mary Wanstead movie) and My Name (pretty average cop/revenge series) to:
    It’s okay to not be okay. My favourite by far. I even bought the books (and a Mang-tae nightmare catcher 🤪). Seo Yea-ji is stunning… I’ve watched the complete thing twice, and I’d happily watch it again…
    I am not a robot. Think it’s already got a mention upthread. Really enjoyed this. Another I’ve watched twice. Chae Soo Bin is also beautiful…
    Hotel del Luna – a 1200 yo ‘ghost’ tends a waystop for dead souls to rid themselves of regrets before passing on to the afterlife… yup, watched this twice as well…
    Hi Bye! mama: a young mother has followed her husband and daughter as a ghost since she died in an accident and suddenly finds herself ‘alive’ again (for 49 . If she can ‘find her place’ she can live… but her husband has remarried and her daughter can see ghosts….
    Twenty five, twenty one: already mentioned (thanks for bringing it to my attention) about a young fencer and her trials and tribulations…
    Black: about the grim reaper who temporarily takes over a newly dead body and causes mayhem and confusion along the way not least of all with a young woman aho can ‘see’ people’s impending deaths as a ‘shadow’. Only just finished this, will definitely watch it again.
    currently 3/4ers through Vincenzo

I think the reason I like it so much is that the characters are tested (morally) and it’s interesting to see them wrestle with it all.

A non k-drama one I enjoyed (that I don’t recall having seen mentioned) is ‘I am not okay with this’ about a girl who discovering she has ‘powers’…

kilo

Just finished Fenix; belgo/Dutch gangland drugs thing. Pretty good.

I see series two of The Hunter (il cacciatore) has started on All 4 which will be my next binge.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Apologies…I’m way behind on this one possibly but watched Divines on Netflix after it was recommended on a podcast. It’s kinda reminiscent of La Haine but more up to date and with unknown female rather than male leads. I think nearly everyone in it was a first timer, including the director and it was a winner at Cannes at the time. A really good watch for any fans of that genre of urban gritty French films.

desperatebicycle

Sounds good that, I’ll have to give it a go.
    Also on Netflix and no doubt MASSIVELY popular on STW is Ricky Gervais: Super Nature. Recommended to me by my son! I found (most of) it hilarious.

dyna-ti

Norsemen.

A viking saga of blood, death, violence, sex, sexual violence, more violence and humour.

You’ll need to wait till the end of season 3 to be introduced to Scrotum Whipping. A scene not for the faint of heart.

spacemonkey

not normally a Sandler fan but really enjoyed Hustle

I meant to say the same thing on here last week. I heard it was his most mature performance, with basketball being a real passion of his. They were spot on.

winston
    Free Member

Just watched S6 Episode 3 of Better Call Saul…..

Wow….Just Wow.

No spoilers here but havn’t been so emotionally invested in a piece of TV for a very long time.

The series just get better and better. For those in the early seasons, stick it out – its worth it.

burntembers

I enjoyed ‘Home 2 Home’ on Netflix. A personal documentary film about a young German touring/ bikepacking across lots of different countries.

kilo

Just started Sacred Games on Netflix. Detectivey crime thang but set in Mumbai. Pretty good so far, good enough to do the first three episodes in one sitting.

Fat-boy-fat

+1 for Hustle. I find Adam Sandler really grating, but this is a very good film.

tenfoot

We recently watched Clark on Netflix which is a goofy biopic about Clark Oloffsson, of Stockholm Syndrome fame.

Good fun.

Houns

Enjoyed Pine Gap on Netflix, binged it over a couple of days. Did get slated in reviews and doesn’t look like it’ll get its 2nd series which it needs.

Also enjoyed and binged The Undeclared War on All4, again needs (and will hopefully get) another series.

Part way through The Terminal List on Prime, it’s ok for brain out stuff

derek_starship
    Free Member

Two Summers is a good watch. Six episodes moving between a current weekend away on an island off Nice and one thirty years ago where something bad happened. Centred around a group of male / female friends. Dutch language. Lots of surprises.

desperatebicycle

Just watched S6 Episode 3 of Better Call Saul…

After seeing this, I went on Netflix to watch the end of Better Call Saul.. It directed me back to Series 1 ep1… so I’ve watched them all.. It finished?! I can’t even remember how/if it ended.

chakaping
    Free Member

BCS resumes next week after a mid-series break, I believe.

Why TF they do those, I have no idea.

desperatebicycle

Ah, nice one, cheers for that. Would’ve been a rather unsatisfying finish after 6 series!

batfink
    Free Member

Watched the first episode of Terminal List last night. Wasn’t expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. The books have lost their way (author has got a bit “Trumpy”) – so am eager to see how it progresses. I’m not a big fan of Chris Pratt, but it seems like he’s going to be decent in this role and play it straight.

IMO best things on telly at the moment though are the Boys and Stranger Things.

chakaping
    Free Member

I drifted away from Stranger Things when series 3 was a bit rubbish.

Should I force myself to go back and watch that through, or just go straight to S4 – which I’m assured is great.

andylc
    Free Member

Enjoying weird German drama Dark at the moment. Plus slightly trashier and more violent but Van Helsing is enjoyable.
    Stranger Things season 4 is worth it I think. Not quite the surprise and novelty of the first couple of seasons but still very watchable albeit ridiculously long episodes.

nicko74

Just started Sacred Games on Netflix. Detectivey crime thang but set in Mumbai. Pretty good so far, good enough to do the first three episodes in one sitting.

It’s quite full-on, but I found it pretty gripping viewing. Haven’t watched S2 yet though

Viewing 40 posts - 2,401 through 2,440 (of 3,914 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.