Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 3,914 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Watched Untold: Malice at the Palace the other night.

Superb basketball doc in the same vein and era as The Last Dance, but with a bit more social relevance.

Very recommended.

thols2

Also, even if Shane’s mom did book the Pineapple Suite, he’s still a prize ****.

BillOddie

Cruel Summer on Prime is very good and quite cleverly done…

Good soundtrack too.

Houns

New series of Sex Education is out next month

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Gotham garage season 3 is terrible. Some of the builds in the previous series were well done. These are atrocious.

jimmy

I watched Beckett last night. So you don’t have to.

Simple linear plot, weak character(s), waiting for something to happen… And it doesn’t. Seems like the Netflix way to me unless I’m just missing the good stuff.

Caher

Yes agree. Thought it might have better but wasn’t.

mahalo

Really appreciate the heads up on the White Lotus! Pretty much one my favourite new things I’ve seen in forever!! I couldn’t take my eyes off it, almost hypnotic!

zilog6128

Really appreciate the heads up on the White Lotus! Pretty much one my favourite new things I’ve seen in forever!! I couldn’t take my eyes off it, almost hypnotic!

yeah, it’s brilliant! If they do more self-contained seasons, in the style of AHS or Fargo, that could be really cool.

thols2

If they do more self-contained seasons, in the style of AHS or Fargo, that could be really cool.

Yes, apparently S2 has been greenlit set in a different White Lotus hotel.

thols2

Reservation Dogs on Hulu in the US is brilliant too. It’ll be Disney+ internationally.

fasthaggis

Watched the first episodes of Nine Perfect Strangers (Prime).
    Big hitter cast and (so far) some nice set pieces, will stick with it.
    Reviews say it’s a poorer version of White Lotus but I don’t do SKY .

Andy_B

The last season of Money Heist starts next Friday. The dubbing at times is annoying but I’m changing my favourite character every episode.

andrewreay

I found White Lotus hard going. Didn’t enjoy it on balance. Only character I ‘liked’ was Armond. Oh, and Stiffler’s mom was quite funny.

But soundtrack was painful, and the ‘look’ was not easy on my eye. Sure that was all part of the plan, to put you on edge, but really not my bag. Don’t think I’ll bother with Series 2. YMMV.

Grinding through ‘Defeated’ on Netflix now. To me, a bit of a missed opportunity as it is such a fascinating time in history. But subtle it ain’t. The hero US cop comes across as utterly patronising, and sadly no push back from the Germans he works with. Added to this is a Russian villain straight out of Bond casting. But visually impressive and has me thinking about what a mess post-war Berlin really was, so it’s doing something right.

djflexure

White Lotus not really doing it for us either.

Hit and Run is OK though

thols2

Only character I ‘liked’ was Armond.

The characters were intended to mostly be dislikable, that’s the point. The staff were disposable and the guests were ****s.

andrewreay

The characters were intended to mostly be dislikable, that’s the point.

Really? I hadn’t figured that out [sarcasm].

But Succession did nasty rich people infinitely better. As did Arrested Development for that matter. You may not have ‘liked’ them, but you could build a relationship and be interested in what happened next. Had no really interest in any of the other characters in WL – if anything it felt like the guests were disposable by the end of the second episode.

richmtb

The Netflix algorithm pointed me in the direction of Glow after i’d finished Community.

I’m glad it did, it was excellent. Think Cobra Kai with wrestling instead of karate and good acting instead of Ralph Macchio and William Zabka.

Watched Midsommar a couple of nights ago. Christ on a bendy bus, its utterly mental. Not in a bad way some of it is just a bit challenging, at one point I wondered if someone had slipped something into my beer while I was watching it!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wanted to love Glow, but it just never happened, despite giving it at least 2 more episodes than I should have!.

winston
    Free Member

Watched They Live the other night. 1980’s B movie by John Carpenter (The Thing, Escape from New York etc)

It wasn’t the best movie ever but I couldn’t hate it and it had an interesting premise considering how long ago it was made. Definitely one to watch late night after a couple of beers though

zilog6128

I think you’ll find They Live is actually **** genius from start to finish 😀

DrJ

Just started Nine Perfect Strangers on Amazon and it’s a bit disappointing tbh. Expected more.

In Treatment is on Sky – not as good as the Gabriel Byrne version IMO, but how could it be?

Also started The Defeated on Netflix, about a NYPD detective in post-war Berlin. Pretty good so far!

pondo

We smashed all four seasons of The Good Place last week – loved it. 🙂

StuE
    Free Member

grum
    Free Member

They Live is brilliant, even if just for the iconic imagery.

Caher

The Chair is not too bad, starting to grow on me. Bit odd and quirky.

mattyfez

Really enjoying Humans on Netflix so far.

Basically about humanoid androids that are used as carers/home makers but some are sentient.

Not your typical sci-fi of ‘us vs the machines’, it more focuses on the moral issues when the lines between human and machine are blurred, more of a psycological drama, think more blade runner/ ex machina / automata, if you’ve seen those, and also watch those if you like that kinda thing..

fingerbang
    Free Member

Saw the film, ‘Calibre’ set in highlands at the weekend. Pretty good – worth your time

Im just watching ‘the defeated’ after recommendations and its really good, but im just worried that as its a Netflix product it’ll do an alan partridge, and not get a second series

love the bombed out Berlin look, very shabby chic

DrJ

As per Vigil topic, I hope people making recommendations can confirm that there a suitable number of realistic defamation scenes.

unulales
    Free Member

The Defeated has been enjoyable.

chakaping
    Free Member

It wasn’t the best movie ever

True, it’s the second best – after Repo Man.

househusband

@thols2 Thanks for sharing that clip; ‘Reservation Dogs’ looks excellent and could well be worth finally subscribing to Disney+ – cheers!

winston
    Free Member

Repo Man is stella.

Moviedrome was better though

roger_mellie

“Heist”. Netflix. Dramatised/ reconstructed real life heists.

Can’t remember if it’s been recommended on here, but we’ve watched 2 out of the 3 pairs of episodes and it’s pretty entertaining. (Each story is split over 2 episodes).

Second story is pretty mad.

Guardian review

Heist (Netflix) is a wildly entertaining collection of true-crime stories that falls firmly into “you couldn’t make it up” territory. In forensic detail, this debut season recalls three audacious robberies, using recreations, interviews with key players on both sides of the law and archive news footage. Each tale is split over two episodes, with one building up to the crime and the second detailing the sometimes painfully slow downfall of those involved. It is occasionally trashy – the first, in particular, goes to town on the reconstructions – sometimes funny, tense and exciting. In terms of taking sides, it can be playfully, cheekily on-the-fence. Crime never pays, it argues. Or does it?

DrJ

“That was intense!”
    “Life of a repo man’s always intense”

djflexure

Enjoying series 1 of The Sinner – appeared in my watch list so recommendation may have originally come from here.

Zero zero zero is watchable on Now

The Chair was just about OK

As I said above Hit and Run was OK too

Still can’t appreciate White Lotus
    Trying to get into The Defeated – perhaps it’s a grower

trailwagger
    Free Member

Finished ClickBait last week.

Anyone else see it, and agree with me?

!!SPOILER ALERT !!

Thats several hours of my life I will never get back. So badly written, its like they wrote every episode and then got the end and in a lame attempt to prevent anyone from guessing who dunnit they picked some random side character from out of nowhere and then proceeded to tell you how they did it. This made all the previous episodes a complete waste of time. There weren’t even any clues as you went along that you could look back on and go “oh yeah thats why…..” nothing!

johnners
    Free Member

Finished ClickBait last week.

Anyone else see it, and agree with me?

!!SPOILER ALERT !!

Thats several hours of my life I will never get back. So badly written etc etc

TBH it does sound as if you should have sacked it rather than persisted and you’ve only yourself to blame.

trailwagger
    Free Member

TBH it does sound as if you should have sacked it rather than persisted and you’ve only yourself to blame.

It was ok, until the big reveal at the end…..

somafunk

I made it as far as episode 2 of clickbait before I got bored, didn’t care in the slightest what happened to the characters involved so I was wise to sack it off.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 3,914 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.