Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 3,914 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • hols2
    Free Member

I thought Perry Mason was decent. Nobody does a sad face as good as Matthew Rhys. Problem for me was that The Americans was so excellent that anything he does now seems a bit average by comparison. Still, Perry Mason should set him up with a solid franchise that he can go back to every year or two whenever he needs some pocket money. I’ll keep watching it if they make more, won’t be devastated if they don’t.

pondo

Smashed Cobra Kai season 2 yesterday, slowed a little in the middle but picked up at the end. Great stuff, can’t wait for S3 next year. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

It’s a few years old now (2017), but if you like a good ol’ western, with shootem ups, sly dogs, brave young bucks and a town full of widows, Godless has it all in spades. Couldn’t stop watching it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Peanut butter falcon

+1. I nearly choked laughing when he tossed that old wrestler out of the ring like he was throwing a javelin 🤣

DrJ

Young Wallander starts today. Hasn’t had great reviews but I’ll still give it a go.

franksinatra

So whose looking forward to Harry and Megan programming following their mega deal with Netfix? What do you think they’ll go for? Scandi murder drama? Stranger Things style sci-fi? I’m so excited I just can’t wait.

plus-one

Cobra Kai is most excellent!!

zilog6128

Yeah Cobra Kai is one of the best tellyprogs I’ve seen in years! Great acting, genuinely funny, kickass fight choreography, nice retro touches & soundtrack – and really clever bits like (as mentioned) where you get to see the story from the “bad guy’s” perspective. It takes a classic (if cheesy) film and actually turns it into something with depth whilst retaining the heart of the original.

steve-g
    Free Member

Peanut butter falcon +1

Amazon prime but The worlds toughest race is excellent despite containing a sprinkling of Bear Grylls

Have forced the family to watch the old karate kid movies in readiness for Cobra Kai

trailwagger
    Free Member

and really clever bits like (as mentioned) where you get to see the story from the “bad guy’s” perspective.

I love how they bring the 80`s less PC attitudes into it too, really funny.

richmtb

Yeah Cobra Kai has been great.

Its quite cool the way they brought a bit more depth to the original story, maybe Johnny isn’t a total bad guy, maybe Daniel is actually a bit of a dick.

Yeah its a bit cheesy, but so what it’s great fun.

I need to slow down though, I binged the first season in two nights.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The Fall, serial killer story set in Belfast, a few nice twists sub-plots.

Just finished it, excellent series.

Perfect for Netflix too, it’s pretty slow paced. You might argue the whole story could have been told in a single series, in fact, even with the pace of ‘Luther’ it’s not more than a 2-episode special’s worth. Still very good.

I think it got cancelled at the end of Series 3 on the BBC (don’t worry, the story is concluded with no loose ends) because of that pacing, we watched it over 2 weeks or so, BBC viewers waited 3.5 years to see it all.

I’ve read Netflix are thinking about reviving it for themselves, it’s been very popular.

funkmasterp

It’s a few years old now (2017), but if you like a good ol’ western, with shootem ups, sly dogs, brave young bucks and a town full of widows, Godless has it all in spades. Couldn’t stop watching it.

I second this. One of the best things on Netflix in my opinion

franksinatra

Very disappointed with Cobra Kai. It’s formulaic and not at all clever. Acting is flat, story is obvious and irs not clear whether it’s trying to be high brow or teen flick

Another shot for Unorthodox. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, stunning tele..

andrewreay

not clear whether it’s trying to be high brow or teen flick

Eh? I think the Whitesnake dream sequence in S2 makes it pretty clear it’s not going for the teen audience, nor indeed the Palme D’Or. Not to mention Johnny’s collection of 80’s rock t-shirts.

About as low brow as it gets. It’s ****ing brilliant.

erictwinge
    Free Member

Yeah Cobra Kai is one of the best tellyprogs I’ve seen in years! Great acting, genuinely funny, kickass fight choreography, nice retro touches & soundtrack – and really clever bits like (as mentioned) where you get to see the story from the “bad guy’s” perspective. It takes a classic (if cheesy) film and actually turns it into something with depth whilst retaining the heart of the original.

great acting!? have you had a crane kick to the head? dont get me wrong i really enjoyed it too, for many of the same reasons… but the acting is so dodgy it adds to the comedy

Also, Larusso’s Mrs…!

MSP

Ratched is released today, been looking forward to this one, looks dark and quirky, hope it lives up to expectations.

woody2000

Don’t watch “Away”, it’s crap.  Wouldn’t normally entertain something like that, but we’ve been watching a lot of killing/death/psycho murder type stuff so thought it might be a nice change.  It wasn’t.

jamj1974

I liked Away!

richardkennerley

Social dilemma is worth watching. I guess we all know that social media is not to be trusted, but this really hammers home just how far it goes. Doesn’t really offer much hope either.

woody2000

@jamj1974 – you need to have a word with yourself 🙂  Awful, awful stuff.  It just made no sense; never in a million years would a crew like that have got in to space together, never.  After that, I just wanted to pick holes in everything!  I’m aware it wasn’t really about the trip to Mars, but it’s got to be believeable if you want people to focus on the human aspect of it.

derek_starship
    Free Member

@MSP – yep – looking forward to this.

I’ve been told by a colleague that Fauda is very good.

Any opinions on this?

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Watched ‘The Alienist’ last week.
    Worth a watch

hols2
    Free Member

I’ve been told by a colleague that Fauda is very good.

Started brilliantly. Got a bit cliched by the end. Still worth it. Similar to Gomorrah in that respect.

2tyred

John Was Trying To Contact Aliens is really sweet.

The only other thing I’ve watched on Netflix lately is the whole of Breaking Bad, from the start. Never seen it before. Yeah, pretty good! I see what all the fuss was about. 🙂

Also watched all of I May Destroy You (iPlayer rather than Netflix), thought that was amazing.

BBC Scotland is showing Finlay Pretsell’s film Time Trial tomorrow, focusing on David Millar’s final TdF. I saw it in a cinema, thought it was brilliant. Looking forward to seeing it again, albeit on a much smaller screen. That should make its way onto iPLayer I’d have thought.

richmtb

Just finished “Challenger: The Final Flight” 4 part documentary series about the Challenger disaster.

I thought it was very good. Had a lot of resonance with me as I remember it happening when I was a kid.

Fat-boy-fat

You might want to give Biohackers a go. German, a bit silly but building nicely.

beej

Amazon Prime – The Sweeney. Retro cop show set in 70s London, they’ve got all the period details. Lead guy looks like a young Inspector Morse. It’s like Life on Mars without all the timey-wimey stuff.

spursn17
    Free Member

I like ‘The Sweeney’ , I think it still stands up well considering it was made nearly 50 years ago, ‘The Professionals’ is another story though, what a load of old pony!

I’ve just watched ‘Fear City’ on Netflix, 3 parter about an FBI case against the mafia. Its very good, just like Goodfellas.

avdave2

I enjoyed Fear City too.

“We’re the Sweeney, son, and we haven’t had any dinner – you’ve kept us waiting. So unless you want a kicking, you tell us where those photographs are.”

woody2000

Just watched the peanut butter falcon, loved it🙂

I think Shia LaBeouf might be my new man crush 😁

spacemonkey

Amazon Prime – The Sweeney. Retro cop show set in 70s London, they’ve got all the period details. Lead guy looks like a young Inspector Morse. It’s like Life on Mars without all the timey-wimey stuff.

I assume you’re in your 20s or 30s? The Sweeney was filmed in the late 70s and was critically acclaimed then and now.

spacemonkey

+1 Peanut Butter Falcon. Got a bit predictable but very watchable and entertaining.

DrJ

Lead guy looks like a young Inspector Morse.

I wonder why that is…..

beej

I assume you’re in your 20s or 30s? The Sweeney was filmed in the late 70s and was critically acclaimed then and now.

Whooosh…

I was a little young for it first time round, I was 4 when it first aired. I’d vaguely seen the odd episode but we’re now watching it from the start – great to see it without adverts too. As someone else said, it holds up pretty well.

martinhutch

I wonder why that is…..

Can’t see it myself, looks more like Kavanagh QC.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Manhunt : Unabomber

Its a few years old but its really very good. I didnt know much about him or the case but some of it really is unbelievable.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been watching Bad Blood, a Canadian gangster drama series.

That might not sound super-promising, but it’s very good. Tightly plotted and edited, decent acting, very watchable. Not quite up there with Gomorrah, but much better than most.

Also watched Spaced for the first time in about 15 years. Still very impressive and original. And very funny of course.

martinhutch

Finally got round to watching The Crown. Wasn’t expecting to like it, but it’s bloody brilliant – like BBC drama could be if they bothered to make it properly. A few of the episodes are just mesmerising, and the cast, certainly in the first two series, are fantastic.

Moving to the older cast in season 3 is a bit jarring, but the quality is just the same. The Aberfan episode is one of the most affecting things I’ve ever seen.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The Sweeney. Retro Contemporary cop show set filmed in 70s London, they’ve got all the period contemporary details.

FTFY

Lead guy looks like a young Inspector Morse.

The sidekick looks like a young Terry McCann

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 3,914 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.