Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 3,891 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • BillOddie

Don’t watch “Away”, it’s crap.  Wouldn’t normally entertain something like that, but we’ve been watching a lot of killing/death/psycho murder type stuff so thought it might be a nice change.  It wasn’t.

Agree, i was hoping that EVERYONE would die by the end.

Awful.

Slightly thread adjacent but The Morning Show and Defending Jacob on Apple TV+ are very very quite and quite good resepectively.

toby1

very very quite and quite good

Huh? A ‘very very quite good’ show, sounds like an OK show to me?

oldtennisshoes

Just finished watching both series of Criminal

Defo worth a watch

richmtb

The Haunting of Bly Manor:

Is it just me or is it a bit crap. Seven episodes in I’m not sure if I care what happens anymore. I’ve only really stuck with it as I’m watching it with the wife. We are both a bit fed up with it though.

I discovered “Bosch” on Prime. Its been out a few years now but I’m really enjoying it. Its hardly groundbreaking “Smart, tough cop who doesn’t always play by the rules” isn’t exactly original but it’s just done really well. Binged 3 seasons so far.

hols2
    Free Member

I discovered “Bosch” on Prime. Its been out a few years now but I’m really enjoying it. Its hardly groundbreaking “Smart, tough cop who doesn’t always play by the rules” isn’t exactly original but it’s just done really well. Binged 3 seasons so far.

Was just about to write almost exactly the same thing. Solidly made cop drama. Little bit cliched with the hero following his instincts in defiance of his superiors and always turning out to be right, and also some fairly ridiculous coincidences (he keeps stumbling onto seemingly routine cases that turn out to be connected to major crimes), but it’s well made and has a good cast.

trailwagger
    Free Member

The Haunting of Bly Manor:

Is it just me or is it a bit crap. Seven episodes in I’m not sure if I care what happens anymore. I’ve only really stuck with it as I’m watching it with the wife. We are both a bit fed up with it though.

I thought it was ok, dragged a little in the middle and for a while i didnt have a clue what was going on. Then it turned into something else at the end (without giving anything away). 7/10.

NS
    Free Member

Bosch is very good.
    Ted Lasso on Apple TV is also good for more light hearted / feelgood TV!

GRAEMEJONES

Paranoid is worth a go, especially if you’re local to the South Cheshire/Delamere area as a lot of it was filmed there.

The views from a high up place across look very similar to the views from Old Pale. Some of the areas close to Ashton road feature also.

timmys

Ted Lasso on Apple TV is also good for more light hearted / feelgood TV!

Seconded, I wasn’t expecting much out of it but really enjoyed it. Had my wife laughing out loud which not a lot of TV manages.

Back to Netflix, watched “Trial of the Chicago 7” at the weekend and thought it was very good.

beej

I’m a fan of Bosch too – I’ve got to the 10th book, but they way they’ve changed the stories for the TV series means I don’t feel like I know how things will turn out.

BillOddie

Slightly thread adjacent but The Morning Show and Defending Jacob on Apple TV+ are very very quite and quite good resepectively.

Sorry – The Morning Show = very good.  Defending Jacob = Quite good.

chakaping
    Free Member

Lead guy looks like a young Inspector Morse.

The sidekick looks like a young Terry McCann

And one of the lads they collar looks like a young Boon.

Amazing.

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s a sitcom called Great News which I’d highly recommend.

Nothing ground-breaking, just very funny and well played by a likeable cast.

Might have mentioned it before, but just remembered how good it was and what a shame it’s not better known.

toby1

We’ve been watching all of the old C4 show Misfits, shame they couldn’t keep the same cast after series 1, but it’s still quite silly and entertaining. For some reason never picked it up first time round.

woody2000

Enjoying “Santa Clarita Diet” at the moment – daft, but entertaining.  Gets in to it’s stride after a few episodes.  Also enjoyed Haunting of Hill House.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I binged this over the weekend, only short but laugh out loud funny…

big_n_daft
    Free Member

If not already mentioned, Dogs of Berlin

Noticing far too much loads of money but basically ham acted rubbish on Netflix. To many films/series have the actors, the budget, but are dumbed down tosh

john_l
    Free Member

Enjoying La Revolucion at the moment.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

Just seen Get Duked – was good.
    Can highly recommend TimeTrial on iPlayer – very nicely shot – and quite moving in places – quite a metaphor for life in general…

metalheart
    Free Member

Enjoying La Revolucion at the moment.

Yeah, I enjoyed that. Didn’t enjoy the ending 😔

Also Frontera Verde (Green Frontier), some magical South American stuff with surprisingly good indigenous actors.

Stuart
    Free Member

Watched ‘the young offenders’ on Netflix last night. Haven’t laughed so hard in ages !
    https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80152742?preventIntent=true

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Just finished watching Barbarians. Really enjoyed it.

If you like Vikings and Last Kingdom then watch this.

DezB
    Free Member

New series of Suburrah: Blood on Rome just appeared on Netflix. Series 3, yes please.

zilog6128

If you like Vikings

not new but I’ve been binge-watching Norsemen… Vikings meets The Office 🤣

chakaping
    Free Member

So sad that Norsemen has been canned, the end of S3 was hilarious.

New series of Suburrah: Blood on Rome just appeared on Netflix. Series 3, yes please.

Will probably watch despite finding S2 a bit silly, and resenting it for being such a pale imitation of Gomorrah.

nicko74

Was just about to write almost exactly the same thing. Solidly made cop drama. Little bit cliched with the hero following his instincts in defiance of his superiors and always turning out to be right, and also some fairly ridiculous coincidences (he keeps stumbling onto seemingly routine cases that turn out to be connected to major crimes), but it’s well made and has a good cast.

I finally convinced the wife to try Bosch last month, and we’re really pleased with it. Excellently done – engaging characters (despite the very ‘Hollywood cop’ premise for Bosch himself) and really not afraid to take a bit of time just to let the camera rest on a scene, or focus on a bit of unnecessary colour. Strong recommend.

chakaping
    Free Member

Watched Midsommar last night, probably on Prime.

Would recommend, was just gonna do an hour or so but ended up watching all 2.5hrs and going to bed very, very late.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Midsommar was very off-setting. Not sure what to make of it but it’s deffo stuck with me.

grum
    Free Member

Not Space Force – woefully unfunny.

doomanic

Binge watching Bosch at the moment. Most enjoyable.

roger_mellie

Misfits.

Missed it the first time round (obvs). Ep 1 was a little slow, but I’ve just watched 3 in a row so it must be doing something right.

trailwagger
    Free Member

The Queens Gambit – Brilliant cast and some brilliant acting performances.

johnx2
    Free Member

The Queens Gambit – Brilliant cast and some brilliant acting performances.

…and clothes. And soundtrack. And classy moves if you appreciate a Sicilian defence.

sadexpunk

really enjoying ackley bridge, binge watched the first 2 series.

seen it described as ‘waterloo rd meets shameless’ but i havent seen waterloo rd so dont know how accurate that is. id describe it as ‘shameless-lite’ set in a school.

3rd series is on all4.

colournoise

Just started Lovecraft Country on NowTV. Liking it a lot so far, except…

Every time there’s a ‘not an ad break’ (when the title comes up and it just restarts again), there seems to be a huge jump in the narrative. Anyone else noticed this – is this a ‘quirk’ of NowTV, or is it by design?

zilog6128

Yeah just finished Queen’s Gambit, really enjoyed it. Quite different to what I’d normally watch; no one gets beheaded or shot, someone gets spoken to quite sharply over the phone at one point which is about as violent as it gets 😀 Also good to have a properly plotted story which is wrapped up quite quickly for a change rather than having to watch hundreds of hours over multiple seasons!

grum
    Free Member

Only Sky not Netflix but The Vow is very good – doc about the nutty NXIVM cult.

surfer
    Free Member

INRAT

Ozark, superb
    Bosch, very good.

Sons of Anarchy rubbish.

chakaping
    Free Member

Highly recommend Into the Spider-Verse movie that’s just gone on Netflix.

Hugely creative and fun cartoon take on Spidey – and I don’t usually like superhero stuff.

allanoleary
    Free Member

Sons of Anarchy rubbish.

I thought it was good for the first couple of series but then it started dragging on

And on

And on….

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 3,891 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.