Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 370 total)
  • How much does Glastonbury pay the BBC…
  • paino

Yup, Primal Scream just awful. Billy Eilish sounds superb though.

warton
    Free Member

don’t think I’ve turned 6 on since they had Kae (nee Kate) Tempest standing in the other night. Eurghh

You should probably listen to them. Absolutely stunning lyricist. Peoples faces moves me to tears, every time I hear it.

richardkennerley

Sounds bloody awful. Edit – took to long to type it, so to be clear, I mean primal scream! And they’re getting worse!

Never really given foals much time before, but doing in and out now and they sound pretty tight 👌

chriscubed

Are they playing new songs? I’m not a big follower, but haven’t recognised a single tune yet. Open with a banger you flippin idiots

Lord knows. Recognizerd (but never liked) swastika eyes at the start, the rest is…challenging

You should probably listen to them. Absolutely stunning lyricist. Peoples faces moves me to tears, every time I hear it.

Just not my thing, sorry

theotherjonv

It’s horrendous aint it?

The musicianing isn’t bad at all, Bobby’s always had a ropy voice.

Open with a banger you flippin idiots

Swastika Eyes is a banger from 20+ years ago, I enjoyed it.

But I know what you mean.

chriscubed

Open with a banger you flippin idiots

Open with ROCKS, dont make it hard for yourselves

theotherjonv

Not sure they’ve got the vocal mix right, but OTOH……

edit – and that’s adjusted by chorus 2

somafunk

Watched bonobo who were brilliant and now onto four tet who is one of my all time favs live, shame the chem bros couldn’t make it for the festival as that would be a highlight,

colournoise

Thought JAMC were decent, but then I have really strong rose tinted earbuds as far as they’re concerned.

Only sampled brief bits of others. Not really interested in Billie Eilish.

For me personally, this year’s line up is firmly on the meh side of interesting.

davosaurusrex

They should cancel the other headliners now, save themselves the embarrassment of trying to follow that

kelvin

And that was only the Friday!

Great day of music. JAMC & Billy Eilish the highlights so far for me. Storming performances.

chriscubed

Primal scream all is forgiven 🙂

kelvin

Will catch up with their set next week… seeing them live in a few weeks time.

Primal scream all is forgiven 🙂

I wouldn’t say forgiven – I had to sit through the first half of the set. But yeah, they’ve pulled it round

theotherjonv

If not quite pulled out of the fire, at least moved to the embers.

jkomo

I just don’t get it, Billy Eilish, Foals then Primal Scream.
    I mean WTF is anyone moaning about, incredible music, just incredible. Anyone who isn’t in awe should just keep quiet.
    ThNk Christ for BBC, and 6music.

somafunk

Not my sort of music, apart from primal scream in their heyday but each to their own

Northwind

Dub War though! You know what time it be be be

Drac

I fancied a bit of FST Boy Slim last night but they weren’t broadcasting from the Sonic stage on iPlayer. 🙁

jkomo

Apologies my last post was a bit aggressive.
    Moan away people.
    FWIW I always imagined the BBC paid for the rights to broadcast it, as it gives them thousands of hours of content. They also seem able to dip into the back catalogue of previous years.

theotherjonv

Maybe aggressive but also fair. It’s not like Bobby Gillespie’s been a great singer ever, and there will be way more better singers at Glastonbury and also your local probably. But you go for the show, and after a slow start we got a great show.

Too many glass half empty viewers for me trying to find fault with the line up, the shows, the audience, the change in culture. There’s still much to admire and fine, you’re not supposed to like it all and you’re entitled to comment but I refuse to believe they really think it’s all shit.

john_l
    Free Member

Iplayer coverage seems really odd, can’t find either of the Billy Eilish or Primal Scream sets. Are they restricting what they’re playing back?

JaMC were great, I thought and Supergrass. Also caught St Vincent who were superb!

TiRed

Was a direct hit for me https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0018lqk/glastonbury-billie-eilish

The thing about Glastonbury for me is that it opens up new music. I’ll listen/watch and see what I think. Eilish was very good and I’m not a huge fan. Anyway, Record review is playing on Radio 3, and coupled with Building a Library (the bitchiest program on the radio), makes for a solid brunch soundtrack.

The 50 greatest Glastonbury moments… ever!

john_l
    Free Member

Thanks. Was using the TV player, assumed it’d be under “headliners”!

beanoir
    Free Member

I quite like watching Jo Wiley’s coverage of Glasto, although the headliners this year don’t interest me much.

Radio 6 Music is great.  Huey Morgan, Craig Charles, Giles Peterson, Mary Anne Hobbs all have good shows.  Kate Tempest is dreadful, wish she’d bugger off, as can Mark Radcliffe and Ceris Matthews.

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s Kae Tempest and they are non-binary and use they/them pronouns. Not a dig, but please try to use the correct name and pronoun for them. Deadnaming is not cool.

bubs

I think it’s all been pretty good so far.. a fairly decent mix. Has anyone stumbled across any Libertines coverage or were they too early/bad?

chriscubed

any Libertines coverage or were they too early/bad?

Heard a few of their songs on the wireless, sounded great to me.

jbproductions
    Free Member

Confidence Man put on a fantastic show as did Khruangbin. St Etienne have not aged well.

copa
    Free Member

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. Good
    Idles. Nope. Shouty middle-class Camden vegan music
    Seun Kuti & Egypt 80. Love afrobeat but didn’t click for me
    Saint Etienne. Sad, deserted shore, your fickle friends are leaving
    Billy Eliot. Nah

theotherjonv

Idles. Nope. Shouty middle-class Camden vegan music

The band or the fans? The band’s a bit of a mix; singer Joe used to be a plate washer in a pub kitchen. Guitarist Mark – well let’s say it’s a surprise, and having seen his stage act I’d be mildly concerned to encounter him IRL (I understand he keeps his hand in, doing pro-bono clinics in prisons, etc.)

Different kind of drill music

EhWhoMe

Kayla1,

I find it odd to address a single person as them, they etc its a definition thing for me so cant recognise it, if im allowed that privilage.

Just be you, no need for more catorgories or labels, as it kind of defeats the point to me.

I respect Kae Tempest can make up Kae Tempests own pronouns, in return Kae Tempest can respect that i can make up my own also.

On a side note i quite like er er er er lets just say Kae.

binners

any Libertines coverage or were they too early/bad?

Couldn’t find any last night. Did you read the Guardian interview with Pete Docherty last week? Apparently he’s now replaced drugs with cheese and wine and put quite a few pounds on. Something quite a few of us can relate to I’m sure 😂

Ended up sat up for hours watching stuff last night. Blossoms were good and Phoebe Bridgers

theotherjonv

I respect Kae Tempest can make up Kae Tempests own pronouns, in return Kae Tempest can respect that i can make up my own also.

Actually I don’t think you should. If Kae has made it clear they want to be know by they / them pronouns then out of courtesy you should do it. It’s a very sensitive subject in the TG/non-binary community and it’s up to us to learn, not just say ‘it’s confusing’. Sure, we all make mistakes but then we say sorry and try to not do it again.

If a new work colleague, Christopher, started and you called him Chris, and he said ‘Actually I don’t like Chris, please can you use my full name’ is it OK to continue to call him Chris because ‘you’re allowed that privilege’?

On a side note i quite like er er er er lets just say Kae

You didn’t make a mistake there; you knew what pronoun to use and chose not to to make a point. That’s not right.

binners

It’s an absolutely beautiful song. Saw her live at Gorilla when she’d just released her first album with Loyle Carner supporting. Absolutely top night! A nice mix of spoken word, songs and very angry political ranting. Whats not to like?

I couldn’t give a monkeys what pronoun is preferable. Why does anyone even care?

EhWhoMe

I used Kae Not Kate as requested and Yes Chris not Christopher if requested but they them , sorry but no.

Funny my mates child is non binary and totally gets my point and we laugh about it, a brilliant person which is all that matters.

loving the mixture of styles of glastobury though old and young

theotherjonv

I couldn’t give a monkeys what pronoun is preferable. Why does anyone even care?

https://transequality.org/issues/resources/understanding-non-binary-people-how-to-be-respectful-and-supportive

Funny my mates child is non binary and totally gets my point and we laugh about it, a brilliant person which is all that matters.

My non-binary work colleague gets upset when wrong pronouns are used deliberately, it’s a lack of respect in their mind. Do they just need to get a thicker skin because some people can laugh about it?

(I’m not the thread police but this is supposed to be a Glastonbury thread so I’m out now on this subject. People can go and read if they wish; I’d like them to but it’s their choice)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I really wanted to like Billy Eilish – just couldn’t get with the quiet breathy voice. Accept its me that’s missing something there. Everyone seems to be saying it was a storming set. I also find her brother a bit creepy. 😀

Foals were awesome. Really enjoyed the Crowded House set for a bit of nostalgia. Pity Tim wasn’t playing with them.

EhWhoMe

“Its their choice….”

Mmm wrong pronoun in my eyes..

But yes back to the performers of the festival, brilliant event

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 370 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.