Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 361 total)
  • How much does Glastonbury pay the BBC…
  • Premier Icon Pook

…for this wall to wall coverage on 6 and no doubt BBC2 at the weekend?

Premier Icon BoardinBob

The coverage is fantastic. stop whining

Premier Icon Pook

I’m not whining. But other festivals don’t get it and Glastonbury is a commercial venture.

I’m not listening atm, but I can imagine the 6 music coverage to be rather tedious and pretentious.

I don’t think I’ve turned 6 on since they had Kae (nee Kate) Tempest standing in the other night. Eurghh

That said, no issues with them (BBC) covering it in depth – the only thing that irks me is (as they do with all big events) is making out that if you can’t make it there, it doesn’t matter, because they will transport you there with their coverage. Not really like being there, is it?

Premier Icon BigJohn

For 3 weeks of hearing songs you love being played badly? All day, every day on 6 Music.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

and Glastonbury is a commercial venture.

So what? The BBC aren’t advertising tickets for sale (Glastonbury don’t need help with that) and it means that the event is much more accessible to everyone. And bear in mind that the Festival gives quite a significant sum to local and international charities each year.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Free Member

Not really like being there, is it?

They should sell room fresheners that emit whiffs of incense/piss and BO to help transport you while you listen to Florence (of the Machine) singing out of tune.

The BBC has rights to so little these days that it tends to go overboard with the coverage. See also Eurovision, Olympics etc.

There’s always some gems to be found, but you really have to dig around in the coverage to find them.

Premier Icon IHN

But other festivals don’t get it and Glastonbury is a commercial venture.

It’s also a major cultural event, not to mention one of the oldest and biggest festivals of it’s type in the world, so I’d expect the main public service broadcaster to be giving it a lot of coverage.

Premier Icon submarined
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve turned 6 on since they had Ka(t)e Tempest

Not sure if you don’t realise the significance of deadnaming, or it’s deliberate. If the former, I suggest you read up a bit. If the latter, then you need to take a good look at yourself.

Premier Icon jam-bo

For 3 weeks of hearing songs you love being played badly? All day, every day on 6 Music.

i’ve had to switch R6 off this morning. FIP for the next few days.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Free Member

the only thing that irks me is (as they do with all big events) is making out that if you can’t make it there, it doesn’t matter, because they will transport you there with their coverage. Not really like being there, is it?

Not unless you block up your bog, piss in the corner of the room, pour cider on yourself and roll around in the garden for a bit before you watch it.

Pook – You probably know the BBC pay Glastonbury for exclusive broadcast rights.

As they do/used to for Wimbledon, the Olympics etc.

Premier Icon IHN

Ka(t)e Tempest

Kae (nee Kate) Tempest

Well, it’s clearly a drum you’re keen to bang, so what’s your point?

Premier Icon nicko74
    Free Member

Pook
    I’m not whining. But other festivals don’t get it and Glastonbury is a commercial venture.

Hear hear! It is tedious; it also does nothing to dispel any perceptions that the BBC is targeted at, and biased towards, white middle class folks. Where’s the equivalent coverage and endless discussion of, say, the Notting Hill carnival or other more multicultural and multisocial festivals?

Premier Icon onehundredthidiot
    Free Member

I don’t mind the coverage but do hate the continuous reference to it that will be dropped into every DJs vacuous braindump for the next 6months. I have rage everytime I hear “south by Southwest”.

What’s your point?

That Kae Tempest was formerly known as Kate??????

Don’t go looking for nonsense

I don’t know what pronoun Kae goes by, but he/she/they is hugely annoying to my ears. The end

Premier Icon chrismac

I suspect the question is the wrong way round and should be how much do the BBC pay Glastonbury for the broadcast rights

Premier Icon chrismac

Where’s the equivalent coverage and endless discussion of, say, the Notting Hill carnival or other more multicultural and multisocial festivals?

Why would a local parade in a London suburb warrant national TV coverage?

Premier Icon VanHalen
    Free Member

the only bit i’m annoyed about is that i’m not there…

i quite like the coverage – hopefully a few less mainstream acts get some decent press. obviously the big hitters are just that but for me the main events are the smaller acts getting to be part of the big show.

it really is amazing/bonkers to be there – if you get the chance definitely go

Premier Icon tewit
    Free Member

Yeah. I’ve turned 6 off. Festival music on the radio is a bit crap. Quite like watching some of it on the tele though. Just checked and it’s all through the day ffs. Break it up a bit at least.

Premier Icon csb

local parade in a London suburb

Have you ever been? It’s flipping massive and international (and bloody fun, rip Sancho Panza).

Edit. Wiki gives me 2 million attendees, 40,000 volunteers!

Premier Icon chakaping
    Free Member

I suspect the question is the wrong way round and should be how much do the BBC pay Glastonbury for the broadcast rights

They have resisted media questions (and FOI requests) on the subject.

The FOI requests were probably from the Daily Mail TBF.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

Love the coverage on the BBC. As a veteran of 6 Glastonbury’s back in the 90s I can’t wait to sit back and watch the highlights without having to spend 5 consecutive days stood up pissed in either baking heat or pouring rain.

Premier Icon submarined
    Free Member

1Xtra have pretty extensive Notting Hill coverage, don’t they?

Premier Icon kayak23

The tickets sell out so fast. I always wonder how many are taken up with media and celebs. The place is crawling with them.

Love the coverage on tv, but don’t tend to listen on the radio.

Premier Icon Pook

Pook – You probably know the BBC pay Glastonbury for exclusive broadcast rights.

No, literally no idea which way the money goes

Premier Icon lamp
    Free Member

I love a bit of Glasto, i can’t wait to get involved this year….from the comfort of my own couch! 🙂

I think the BBC (TV) do a good job in coverage and i always find a couple of new bands to listen to off the back of it.

6Music, its pretty relentless and i wonder how many times someone will say ‘that’s a Glastonbury moment’. Moaning about nothing frankly.

Premier Icon johnx2
    Free Member

The BBC/Glastonbury relationship does play to the worst smug stereotypes. I mean there is some good stuff and I’ve been to a few over the years but really it makes neither party look good.

Premier Icon Richie_B

The BBC/Glastonbury relationship does play to the worst smug stereotypes.

What are those stereotypes? Music ‘journalists’/presenters going overboard for a freebie is hardly limited to the BBC.  For the BBC its very cheap content (gives them the opportunity to spend stupid amounts for tennis & football highlights).

Premier Icon i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Bunch of **** 😀

Premier Icon mahowlett
    Free Member

Sorry slight thread hijack, I’d never heard of deadnaming before, now I’ve looked it up and have a (slight) understanding of why it might not be acceptable, how are you supposed to communicate to someone that the Kae Tempest you are talking about is the same artist they enjoyed listening too when they were called Kate Tempest and not another artists with a coincidentally similar name? Or are we supposed to assess the merits of Kae Tempest on their own, and not connect the 2 oevres at all?

Premier Icon desperatebicycle
    Free Member

how are you supposed to communicate to someone that the Kae Tempest you are talking about is the same artist they enjoyed listening too when they were called Kate Tempest

I’m not an expert on these matters by any means, but I’m sure that would count as explaining their identity change, rather than deadnaming.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Free Member

how are you supposed to communicate to someone that the Kae Tempest you are talking about is the same artist they enjoyed listening too when they were called Kate Tempest and not another artists with a coincidentally similar name?

Tact and common sense, mainly.

If there’s some confusion or loss of reputation from such a change, that’s just a cost they’ll have to absorb.

Premier Icon Bruce
    Free Member

It’s typical BBC conformist, white mainstream and dull.
    Have a nice time if you like that sort of thing.

Premier Icon somafunk

Not sure if you don’t realise the significance of deadnaming, or it’s deliberate. If the former, I suggest you read up a bit. If the latter, then you need to take a good look at yourself.

He knows exactly what he posted, and he’s got the response he desired

Premier Icon llama

wish we were going this year the lineup is top banana

like it or not, it’s an unparalleled cultural event that is globally unique. It is right that it should be on the national broadcaster (see the proms, wimbledon, olympics, eurovision, and so on). Whoever pays who, its probably not enough; both sides benefit significantly, BBC gets more hits, festival gets acts for less money.

+ the best stuff is not on tv so don’t worry

Premier Icon Speeder

Re Kae Tempest – I used to miss-hear the pronunciation and be convinced she was a Kate – but what of it if she wants to use a different name? Lots of people have stage names. I really like her singles and she seems pretty smart. Not sure I could listen to a whole album as her accent tends to do my head in but that says more about me than her for sure.

The Glasto overload on R6 is a little overwhelming and I concur with the comments about not seeing the value in broadcasting live performances on the radio but then I also don’t understand “live albums” for anyone who wasn’t there.

The most frustrating thing is that getting tickets is a mission (we didn’t) and we’ve 2 young kids that would get lost in the first 10 minutes if we took them.

Just looking at the lineup there’s so many performances I would love to see. But even there you can’t be everywhere at once – at least you can do that (kind of) with the BEEB. . . .

He knows exactly what he posted, and he’s got the response he desired

I actually had no idea what deadnaming was, so with the greatest of respect – get ******

Premier Icon singletrackmind

I just wish at some point they would actually tell the truth.
    You see some shocking performances by a bamd that are ambivalent or hammered and Joe Wiley and Wedgy Yates proclaim it to be the bestest thing of the best band that they discovered first and are their biggest fans like, ever.
    Please. Just say they have been enjoying the hospitality tent a little too much or blame a technical fault if the levels are off.

Ps l know Jo and Reggie probably last compared Glastonbury coverage 6 years ago but you know exactly what i mean.

Premier Icon llama

I’ve seen Kae Tempest a couple of times live now, they were OK, but this clip of them _on the bbc_ from 2017, which I missed live due to being elsewhere, should be seen by everyone.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg

Sky’s coverage of the IOW festival was awful before you mention the sound quality. The BBC coverage is bafta winning in comparison

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 361 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.