Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 370 total)
  • How much does Glastonbury pay the BBC…
  • mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Moved on to F.

Tight set from Foals.

P20

Jack Whites set is up, that’ll do nicely for me.
    still need to catch up on a few bits like Sam fender, etc

desperatebicycle

Jack White pisses me off. I missed the White Stripes, then he got big and famous from THAT riff (which was superb on his Glastonbury set (how?! must be so sick of that riff! And people were singing along to it like a frickin football crowd! 😖), but he’s clearly still bloody brilliant live. But now charges something like 60quid a ticket, so I’ll never see him. But yeah, what a fanatastic performer (even without Meg).

montgomery
    Free Member

I can’t see how anyone with a pulse couldn’t be moved by the last 90 minutes of Macca’s set. It felt like a historical event to me – when is that likely to happen again?

My ex was there, and enjoyed it, but was horrified by the vast quantities of litter, despite the best efforts of the Glasto pixies. One suspects Greta’s faith in that particular demographic being the one to save the planet might be somewhat misplaced…

wait4me

What demographic is that? Most crowd shots I saw it looked like one last hurrah before the retirement home.

montgomery
    Free Member

The demographic that Greta addressed from the stage?

desperatebicycle

the last 90 minutes of Macca’s set

Last 90 minutes?! How bleedin long was it? I didn’t mind it, but I managed about 4 songs before switching to Megan’s arse.

2tyred

Jack White pisses me off

Me too, but not for the reasons you outline! Few years ago, we were nearing the end of our tour of CERN at Geneva (well worth a visit if you’re in Geneva with a couple of hours to kill) when we got quickly shuffled out of one of the control rooms. Our group was all excited that an explosion or something was imminent, but no – Jack White and his entourage wanted all the plebs cleared out so their visit could be private.

McCartney was disappointing IMO – NOBODY WANTS TO HEAR YOUR NEW STUFF!

Kendrick Lamar might not be my hip-hop cup of malt liquor, but that was ace. Need to go back and digest Herbie Hancock properly, only heard a bit of it yesterday.

Really really loved Gabriels, Comet is Coming, Bonobo, Seun Kuti/Egypt 80, Little Simz and Nightmares on Wax. That would have justified the ticket price for me.

Had to concede I really enjoyed Elbow yesterday. Not a fan of their music at all (bit plodding IMO) but I’ve a lot of time for Guy Garvey, but that sounded great yesterday and would have been ideal for a sunny Sunday afternoon.

dynamiccoins
    Free Member

Jack White pisses me off. I missed the White Stripes

I saw them a few times back in the day including this gig at the 93ft club which is up there with one of the best things I’ve ever seen. I was stood right in front of him within touching distance and it was intense –

http://www.ianwatsonuk.com/whitestripes.html

Edit: Just remembered the Buff Medways supported and they were great too.

Edit Edit: Just checked the ticket and it was a fiver in

desperatebicycle

You smell

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Why haven’t I heard of Squid before? They were great.

P20

I nearly got to see White Stripes, but it got cancelled. Still up for seeing him some day. I enjoyed his set. Currently watching Gabriel’s.  What a vocal range! Makes it seem effortless

theotherjonv

Revisiting some sets I caught part of, I’m blown away by Khruangbin. Inspired I’ve been watching some youtube stuff of them, and the Tinydesk concert is hysterical for the comments, particularly for the drums:

“I heard this drummer got lost in the wilderness with no phone or watch and when they found him 3 years later he knew what second it was.

and

They say time heals all wounds..but that drummer will have you feeling like you were never hurt to begin with.

inkster
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up with Khruangbin.

I now know what they use to set Grenwich Mean Time.

frankconway

Khruangbin were great at the 6music festival – heavy on covers but done fantastically in different styles.
    As for megan whatever, 30 seconds of that was…30 seconds too much – for me.
    And that’s the point – it’s all down to personal taste.
    After the saturation playing of chaise-longue on 6music I thought
    wet leg were to be avoided; wrong – IMO.

desperatebicycle

it’s all down to personal taste.

Sure is – Khruangbin for example, didn’t catch any of their Glasto cos when I heard them a while ago, man they were just the most boring, bland thing I’d ever heard! They’re a bit jazzy if I recall? and I hate jazz.

And then, it’s good to hear Gabriels getting some love, enjoyed them since Love & Hate in a Different Time came out -check ”The Blind” , brilliant.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I’m also now obsessed with khruangbin after their glasto set and frantically catching up. Their KEXP sesh on YouTube is good only cos KEXP sound is always spot on. Also sat thru a set in a Berlin hotel ?!

This band is totally in my wheelhouse

Can’t believe they played Manchester Apollo in April so they’ve already broken thru, I have to accept I no longer have my finger on the pulse

tenfoot

Do they include Leon Bridges in their set? he has done a couple of tracks with them

Been away for the weekend, so only had time to watch Gabriels, a bit of Beabadoobie, First Aid Kit and Mork and Mindy by Sleaford Mods, because Billy Nomates is on it and she’s ace.

inkster
    Free Member

Funny how live hip-hop has transformed over the last few years. Tradditionally a hip up show consisted of a DJ at the back of the stage, substituting the dynamic physicality of the drummer by nodding their head, whilst a couple of rappers walked sideways across the stage, the only moment of visual excitement being when their paths crossed.

Now it’s gone the full Andrew Lloyd Webber! Kendrics’ set being a case in point, looking like a cross between the Royal Ballet, a West End show and a Hollywood movie.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Do they include Leon Bridges in their set? he has done a couple of tracks with them

Yeah he came on and did a couple of songs with them, ‘chocolate hills’ and ‘texas sun’

tenfoot

Texas Sun is a great song. Will make sure I watch that tomorrow.

Speeder

I was a bit of fan of Khruangbin just from the singles I’ve heard over the last couple of years but I’ve just watched that set and it was magical. I need to buy some albums and am now disappointed they aren’t touring here for a while. A definite must see.

theotherjonv

I think they must exude drugs into the air via the music or something. There’s three of them, but they don’t really do anything – at the most a bit of knee bending and hip swaying from Leezy on bass* (I’ve been reading so now I can pretend I know stuff about them.)  Excellent guitaring (Mark) but he’s not exactly putting on a show. And DJ Johnson on drums, looks like he’s working out equations in his head at the same time as playing, he looks that disengaged.

I know I haven’t sold it to the undecided, but it’s utterly mesmerising as a ‘performance’

* hypnotic. I started watching it again last night and my circadian rhythms have now sync’ed to her hips moving.

** Ohh! hip-notic – I just thought of that?

chakaping
    Free Member

One suspects Greta’s faith in that particular demographic being the one to save the planet might be somewhat misplaced…

The middle-aged, middle-class, white people that we keep hearing are the only people at Glastonbury these days?

2tyred

Is there space in the Khruangbin fan club for another new member? Holy shit, that was amazing!

I remember reading a review of their first album and thinking a band who look that cool and are described as a psychedelic guitar band from Texas cannot fail to be awesome, but found the records disappointing.

That set was incredible though, obviously a band who just make much more sense live. Had it on a loop yesterday while working, completely brilliant.

BoardinBob

Fill your boots new Khruangbin fans

maccruiskeen

I was a bit of fan of Khruangbin just from the singles I’ve heard over the last couple of years but I’ve just watched that set and it was magical. I need to buy some albums and am now

I’m currently enjoying their album of tracks remixed by Scientist.

Their secret weapon on stage is that, subtly, as well as dong more of the vocals than you’d think their drummer is sometimes also playing drums with one hand and keyboards with the other

desperatebicycle

Come on, admit it, you just fancy the bass player

theotherjonv

all bass playing women are cool as, fact.

From Carol Kaye through Tina Weymouth, Kim Gordon, Kim Deal, Gail Ann Dorsey, many many more and on to Pepe, Katharine, Terry and Melanie Howard from the Wedding Present and now Laura Lee.

Sling it low and make my insides rumble.

montgomery
    Free Member

I haven’t looked for (or seen) any images or comment on litter. As I said in the post you’ve carefully editted:

My ex was there, and enjoyed it, but was horrified by the vast quantities of litter, despite the best efforts of the Glasto pixies. One suspects Greta’s faith in that particular demographic being the one to save the planet might be somewhat misplaced…

I also didn’t make any comment as to who exactly constituted that demographic, simply asking:

The demographic that Greta addressed from the stage?

I’m a huge admirer of her. It’s the thousands of assholes who vastly outnumber her that are the problem.

theotherjonv

It is a shame that folks don’t tidy up after themselves but I suspect the behaviour that knows that the site will be painstakingly litter picked straight after the event and the behaviour that chucks fast food bags into the verge from the car is not particularly the same, and you can’t conflate the two.

desperatebicycle

From Carol Kaye through Tina Weymouth, Kim Gordon, Kim Deal, Gail Ann Dorsey, many many more and on to Pepe, Katharine, Terry and Melanie Howard from the Wedding Present and now Laura Lee.

Sling it low and make my insides rumble.

Indeed – see my recent post about going to see Witch Fever in Brighton. Lordy if I was erm, 30 years younger 😆
    (maybe 35! 😫 )

kelvin

the site will be painstakingly litter picked straight after the event

The site is now spotless. Glastonbury Festival people always post Monday photos to make it clear how well they clear up. It’s crazy how much needs clearing up, and how quickly it is done. No idea what it says about the “demographics” beyond it being a huge attendance at Glastonbury, many of which don’t clear up after themselves. Huge numbers of people equals lots of waste.

all bass playing women are cool as, fact

I can’t think of a single counter example. I think you are spot on there.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mate, you forgot Deb Googe.

2tyred

Cannot dispute this at all.

maccruiskeen

You just fancy the bass player

I dunno, it’s a tough choice when you’ve also got Claudia Winkleman on lead guitar 🙂

edhornby

Este Haim – seriously good bassist, and Esperanza Spaulding

chrismac

I think that once again poor little Greta has missed the point. What do we think the carbon footprint of the festival is? Similar to a small country? By the time you add all the celbs and bands flying in and out let alone all the kit and the attendees.

I presume Greta walked from home in Scandinavia so she didn’t inflict carbon on the poor planet

kelvin

If you want to speak directly, live, in person, to as many people as possible… I can think of few occasions more efficient than popping along to speak at Glastonbury.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 370 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.