Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 370 total)
  • How much does Glastonbury pay the BBC…
  • oldfart

retrorick the parking up there has been stopped with the introduction of huge boulders . The poor bloke who’s sheep graze the lower field had so much trouble with illegal camping he resorted to fencing them in and within days someone had cut the fence . This is typical of the crap people have to put up with . A lot of them are a law unto themselves, there’s a ( sorry was ) a lovely country lane that runs along side a river , it was a favourite of families and fishermen for generations . Last count 50 vehicles all illegally parked up for years now , no toilet facilities can only guess the state of the river 🤢Town council is run by the Green Party who actively encourage them and may as well hang a welcome to our town sign up 🙄🙄🙄

kelvin

I love the TV/iPlayer content. Would really miss it if they scaled it back. Radio I can’t comment on, I don’t listen to any of the Glastonbury content on it.

footflaps

The BBC must pay some one for this.

I suspect a seven figure sum to Glastonbury for the exclusive broadcast rights and then for every song they show on air they’ll have to pay normally music licensing fees.

donks
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t give the headline acts a second glance this year…macca and the petshop boys yikes…however after looking at the insanely long list of other acts on a ridiculous list of stages I would happily just spend my time wandering around these instead.

There’s no way I’d sit up all night hitting refresh on the website just to get a ticket as I’ve heard you need to do so that’s a shame that it’s come to that to try and go….I also went in 89 and I’m sure the ticket was about 35 quid and we got it a few days or so before we went.

I turned off 6 today because I just got fed up with them gushing over the whole thing.

binners

I also went in 89 and I’m sure the ticket was about 35 quid and we got it a few days or so before we went

We were sat in the pub on the Thursday night when my mate Ian said “it’s Glastonbury this weekend… shall we go?”. So we all just got up Friday morning, lobbed our tents and sleeping bags in the car and headed down there. We paid on the gate, no advance tickets needed. Still got my ticket. I seem to remember it being 85 quid

People look at me like I’m mad when I tell them this now. Seems crazy now with all this registering and ticket ballots and stuff. God, I’m an old fart! 😂

however after looking at the insanely long list of other acts on a ridiculous list of stages I would happily just spend my time wandering around these instead.

That’s the best way to do Glastonbury anyway. Just wander from stage to stage and inevitably discover loads of new stuff you’ve never heard before

frankconway

muffin man – Pentrich?
    Some of the ales from your local brewery are great!

donks
    Free Member

Ha! Just googled Glasto 89 and I can’t **** believe that Fela kuti was there…whattt..mind you I’d never heard of him in 89.
    Tickets were £28 quid according to the flyer.
    Have to admit that the next 3 times we went I jumped the fence…well actually one of those times we went through a tunnel someone had made and security were charging a fiver to let you under.
    We went the year the fence was pushed down and I seem to remember there being about 500,000 people there….there were tents actually in the toilets areas!!

Pook

Sorry the OP doesn’t like, it but I find it hard understand why they’d be so upset about it

I didn’t say I didn’t like it. I enquired about how it is so much airtime is dedicated to it.
    Got bored of it on 6 today though.

sc-xc

as for Glasto 🤢 are you the same people who go on hollibobs not holidays and have Fam not family

I hear you! I detest twee abbreviations.

As for Auntie Beeb

😐

Drac

I’m not whining. But ..

Yeah you’re whining. It quite likely costs the bbc as Glastonbury is a business.

oldfart

SC xc yeah sorry about that 😔

tenfoot

Have to admit that the next 3 times we went I jumped the fence

I went in 97,98 & 99. We’d go to sleep on Thursday night/Friday morning with a decent amount of space around our tents and wake up Friday morning surrounded by tents erected by people who’d come over the wall that night.

Had a few break-ins as we slept too, over the three years and there were always rumours going around of people being in the portaloos when they had been pushed over by reprobates.

Which makes me glad to be able to watch it at home on the BBC, full of nostalgia, but knowing I’m done with it.

CountZero

I’m not whining. But other festivals don’t get it and Glastonbury is a commercial venture.

Are you certain about that? Because I know for a fact the IoW Festival has been shown on telly, because I saw myself front and centre at a number of performances.

And let’s face it, there is no other festival in the world as big as Glastonbury, and I’m sure it’ll be syndicated elsewhere.

And FWIW, I looked at most of the main acts and suffered an overwhelming wave of indifference.

I’ve got four days at End Of The Road at the beginning of September, and I’m wondering how I’m going to get to see all of the artists I want, while avoiding overlapping – I know there used to be a website where you could find festival lineups and print off like a flowchart showing where performances overlap, I just can’t find it.

Also, I just can’t deal with the sheer size of Glastonbury, it’s got twice the population of Bath!

sc-xc

Look up clashfinder CZ….

Edit: they are always marked as horseshot until a bit closer!

https://clashfinder.com/s/eotr2022/

jimster01

You would have thought that after a three year hiatus the organisers could have come up with a stronger line up?🤔

kelvin

Saw Pet Shop Boys recently. I think their current set will go down a storm at Glastonbury (as they have in the past as well). Will be watching that one on Sunday for sure. There’s something for everyone this year, as always, which is why I support the breadth of the TV coverage. Just don’t watch what you don’t want to watch. But in the past I’ve watched plenty that I expected to dislike greatly, but really got into. Try some new acts… it’s a great opportunity to dip into loads of artists. Or just watch a few movies instead, if it’s not for you at all.

jimster01

Must say though, that the Beeb’s coverage makes me think how great it would be to again, but then I remember the sunstroke, and the toilets.

kimbers

there were always rumours going around of people being in the portaloos when they had been pushed over by reprobates.

Saw this happen at Reading festival once

It was horrific for the guy when he got out

CountZero

Actually, there are three acts at Glastonbury I’d like to see, (although two I’ve seen before), and those are Kacey Musgraves, St Vincent and Billy Bragg.
    I’ve counted twenty one I really want to see at EOTR, including Pixies, Tinariwen, Fleet Foxes, Black MIDI, Aldous Harding, Lucy Dacus, Hurray For The Riff Raff, Nilufer Yanya, Gabriels, Anais Mitchell, Sudan Archives, Yard Act, Battles…

I think it’s going to be an amazing festival, and a fairly compact one I believe.

@kimbers
    – Reading portapotties were grotesquely bad! Last time I wear there, which was some time back, ‘95 IIRC, the ones opposite where I was camped had shit piled about a foot above the seat! 🫣🤢

At Greenman, they’re emptied and cleaned every day, and I’d hope that Reading has improved since then. Brilliant lineup that weekend, but never been interested since.

frankconway

Pet Shop Boys?
    Neil Tennant was one my 6th form contemporaries at St Cuthbert’s; secretary of film society.
    Another Michael Caine moment…

dynamiccoins
    Free Member

I went in 95. We were sat in a pub in Oxford on the Wednesday night and decided to go the next day.
    Three of us turned up with a two man tent, a bag of beer and a bag of weed. We walked through a gap in the fence. It was roasting hot and I was bright red all weekend. We forgot to pack the sun cream.

We didn’t have a program so didn’t plan to see any bands, just wondered around the site. Although…. I did manage to see the Prodigy which was brilliant. I think I’m right in saying Oasis were on the main stage at the same time – thank god I made the right choice.

Not a big fan of the way its gone, but hey ho I’m old and there are plenty of great smaller festivals which I’d rather go to.

somafunk

You would have thought that after a three year hiatus the organisers could have come up with a stronger line up?🤔

A mate works with them on the booking/artist side and the pandemic has really limited the amount of artists who are available at short notice, short notice is used here as a relative term, in normal times many large/successful artists are sounded out at least 12+ months previous to the festival. With everything opening up around the world there has been a bidding war of sorts to get artists for festivals and Glastonbury doesn’t really pay that much compared to some festivals, it’s more about the kudos.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Glasto (yes I’ll say it) is pish. It’s not about the festival any more, it’s about the sanitised middle class experience with a few “rough round the edge” characters wandering about that somehow got in, you may as well be at Disneyland.

Yes, the music is good but how many people are priced right out of it now? I used to get in every year for free (working the car parks) and whilst it’s better than some of the other festivals (T in the Park was a disaster by the end) it’s just not the same. I wouldn’t even consider going after some of the utter scumbaggery I saw.

Why would a local parade in a London suburb warrant national TV coverage?

How do I say I’m white middle class without saying I’m white middle class?

we spoiled a live broadcast by shouting abuse at Mary Anne Hobbes

Isn’t that how Reading/Leeds were supposed to work? Wasn’t 2000 was it? I seem to remember folk in Leeds taking great delight in ripping the hole out of her.

Gotta love how tens of thousands of vegans cast their values aside for a weekend on the mandy at a working dairy farm

kayak23

I can’t remember the exact year I went but I was at uni so probably 97,98,99ish.

Went out drinking in High Wycombe, next thing I’m in a car with some French students travelling down, asleep most of the way with a stop off to get chucked out of Stonehenge.

Didn’t have any money, was only wearing a shirt and jeans and only watched two bands I think.
    Spent most of the time in the Dub tent and got a bit of food for free from the Krishna tent.

Good times. Wouldn’t dream of going now.

In the Dub tent. I think I’m the only one awake 😂

Fag on the go with a couple of lovely Frenchies.

piemonster

I didnt even realise it was on 🤷‍♂️

94/95 for me i think, cant be sure. Never again, too many people and i think i only went because everyone else was/coz thats what you do.

llama

CZ – EOTR is really good, it is tiny, crowd are super nice, food is all good, and they have a knack of picking the just about to about to break through acts. The site is amazing and in particular garden stage is a great site and very good for easing out the morning hangover.

But anyway, like most topics, the Glastonbury thread always ends up the same way.

You got the people who are hooked on the Glastonbury elastic that keeps pulling them back every time, mentally and/or physically. They got to do a bit of nostalgia.

Then you got the people who never been, say the line up is rubbish anyway, wrongly equate it with the gazillion other festivals, which they never go to either; or else say they went back when it was ‘dangerous’ and would not go now because it is ‘too safe/middle class’. Ah well, never mind. Plenty of other stuff for you to do in the world.

Time to dig out the picture of the sign …..

queue here to complain

Duggan

Yes, the music is good but how many people are priced right out of it now? I used to get in every year for free (working the car parks) and whilst it’s better than some of the other festivals (T in the Park was a disaster by the end) it’s just not the same.

If you worked the car-parks you weren’t really getting in for free were you. Plus, you can still do that now.

I don’t really know what people expect in this regard. It would hardly have been able to carry on as a festival through the 2000’s/10’s and 2020’s as an annual event that exceeds its legal capacity each year when everybody gate-crashes it. I get it’s doubtless not the same vibe as it was in the 1980’s (for better or worse) but its clear they had no choice but to either build a wall and charge for tickets or stop completely.

johnx2
    Free Member

dunno, I was there in the lawless days *1000 yard stare* I remember ’92. Groups pf scals running off with folk’s tents, one to a corner, pulling down and burning the bushes and hedges etc etc. (It was actually pretty quiet in the mid-80s according to my far cooler that me wife.) Apart from a few of the acts it was always very very white back then, so some things don’t change.

Was that better than funky wellies, glasto and aunty beeb? Probably not actually, but there is something distasteful about people being literally shut out and now priced out, and thank goodness we don’t have to deal with the oiks any more.

(Dithering now on whether to go to Beatherder)

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you still get scallies shouting “black ‘ash, whizz, pills” at you whenever you’re walking from place to place?

Harry_the_Spider

Do you still get scallies shouting “black ‘ash, whizz, pills” at you whenever you’re walking from place to place?

!

“Drugs Bridge” at the choke point between the Pyramid and the NME Stage in ’93. Running a gauntlet of dealers. Couldn’t be arsed with it after the Friday, so stayed on the Pyramid side after that.

Thankfully they had improved things the year after.

The documentary on the iPlayer is very good BTW.

tomtomthepipersson

Glastonbury is the only place I’ve ever had a speed & jam sandwich for breakfast and acid for lunch. Good times!

kayak23

Yes enjoyed the 50 year documentary.
    Was awesome to see Stormzy before he went on, knowing that he absolutely killed it! 😀
    God knows how a person is able to do that.

timmys

My mate asked me why the scary looking man was offering him chips. Errr, he’s saying ‘trips’ not ‘chips’ you idiot.

chakaping
    Free Member

Glastonbury is the only place I’ve ever had a speed & jam sandwich for breakfast and acid for lunch.

Organic, free-range whizz & trips I hope?

binners

kelvin

not ‘chips’

🤣

Obviously, this isn’t the 90s, Glastonbury doesn’t just exist in a bubble of our youth. It’s moved on, we can as well. Well, we don’t have to… but let’s stop the middle age whining, shall we…

The real old guys will tell us how Glastonbury was already a shadow of its former self by the 80s.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

The choice of headline acts always get slated, but clearly there’s a pretty big appetite for slightly nostalgic/legacy acts as there’s always a huge crowd for them. And if you’re actually at the festival, well there’s 20 other stages to choose from. I only went to the festival once and I can only recall watching one show at the pyramid stage.

Kendrick Lamar is an exciting and very much contemporarily relevant act to have headlining. And having just started the Peter Jackson Beatles documentary Get Back, I think I’d be tempted by McCartney too unless he clashed with something else really good.

Apart from a few of the acts it was always very very white back then, so some things don’t change.

You are Lenny Henry and I claim my fiver….

Speeder

I think I’d be tempted by McCartney

Given how bad he sounded in 2012 at the Olympics (I think) not sure I’d be bothered but sure it’ll be a nice sing along.

Personally, AS A 50 y/o 6 Music listener I think the big stage line up looks great and I’d be hard pushed who to go see most nights. I’m sure there’s numerous other stages with much more edgy acts but there’s a good few recent favourites playing on the main stages and I’m sure they’ll be great.

I don’t know much of Kendrick Lamar – other than one single I’m not that impressed by he’s kind of passed me by but if he’s headlining, I’m sure he’s ready. One thing you can say about the event is that it’s a broad church. Wish I’d got my **** together and got in the ballot.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 370 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.

Latest Singletrack podcast episode is now live - Talking about warranties - Listen now