Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 370 total)
  • How much does Glastonbury pay the BBC…
  • Duggan

Love the glastonbury coverage on TV and its much better now that you can use the red-button or whatever to watch acts that aren’t just the headliners on the Pyramid Stage which can be pretty bland.

I’ve never been to Notting Hill carnival but assume that covering it live on TV would be a whole different ball game from a logistical/operational perspective.

PrinceJohn

I don’t think I’ve turned 6 on since they had Kae (nee Kate) Tempest standing in the other night. Eurghh

Tell me you’re transphobic, without telling me you’re transphobic.

You know that was one show? Boycotting the entire station since then seems a little extreme.

Tell me you’re transphobic, without telling me you’re transphobic.

You know that was one show? Boycotting the entire station since then seems a little extreme.

Thanks for your judgement, but I couldn’t stand to listen to Kae when they were Kate and had no idea whatsoever about their gender identity, before I googled the other night to see if Kae was indeed the previously known as Kate

I haven’t not listened to 6 because they have a non-binary presenter ffs

binners

But other festivals don’t get it and Glastonbury is a commercial venture.

Have you ever actually been to any other festivals?

Not even the people who attend the likes of Reading or Leeds can be arsed watching the crap lineups they generally have, so unless you’re suddenly possessed with the urge to watch Kasabian have loads of beer and piss chucked at them, the appeal is pretty limited

The Glastonbury line-up is always brilliant in comparison with loads of variety on multiple stages

I’ve done Glastonbury a few times back when my idea of heaven was spending 3 days munching my way through a massive bag of pills, washed down with Stella, but these days I like to watch it on the tellybox from the sofa with a glass of wine and knowing my trip to bed will involve a flight of stairs, not some hellish, apocalyptic trudge through seas of tents and bodies while hallucinating and paranoid 😀

It’s typical BBC conformist, white mainstream and dull.

Hi! 😀

Have a nice time if you like that sort of thing.

Thanks. I Will

mahowlett
    Free Member

Christ this place has become toxic, as far as I can see @TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsStr has said nothing offensive about Kae Tempest, didn’t seem to stop a bunch of you piling on, either for a bit of virtue signalling or just cos you are unpleasant tw**s, it doesn’t matter. Just wind your bloody necks in. You’re ruining this place.

Looking forward to my local festival this year after being cancelled for obvious reasons

Stereophonics and MSP are definitely not my thing, but seen them both before at the festival and they were actually great. Quite a lot on the line-up I’m looking forward to and I usually moan about it.

3 miles from home, so can go for a proper shower if you want (I don’t), but will be in the caravan with cooking facilities, a proper bed, toilet, shower and a fridge full of cold beer

y-not

Christ this place has become toxic, as far as I can see  @TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsStr has said nothing offensive about Kae Tempest, didn’t seem to stop a bunch of you piling on, either for a bit of virtue signalling or just cos you are unpleasant tw**s, it doesn’t matter. Just wind your bloody necks in. You’re ruining this place.

Standard form on here, but cheers for the level headedness

johndoh
    Free Member

it really is amazing/bonkers to be there – if you get the chance definitely go

Yeah I have been a few times over the years culminating in getting almost to the very front of the Pyramid stage in 2015 for The Who after slowing making my way forwards between sets from mid-afternoon. Unfortunately I have been unsuccessful each year since in the ballot.

sharkbait
    Free Member

But other festivals don’t get it and Glastonbury is a commercial venture

Aren’t all festivals commercial ventures?

Do other festivals also donate a couple of £m to their chosen charity also?

llama

in the festival spirit, let’s give str the benefit of the doubt.

we’ve 2 young kids that would get lost in the first 10 minutes if we took them.

Going with kids opens a whole new side of it. Nowadays it is great fun to go to with kids. It is safe and they will not get lost. There is a lot of stuff I would never have seen / done otherwise. Obviously you need to set your expectations about late night time, but on the other hand, you will be more likely to remember it. My youngest has her picture in the program from one year getting her face painted /bless/

I reckon at some point there will be 3 generations of us there.

IdleJon

so unless you’re suddenly possessed with the urge to watch Kasabian have loads of beer and piss chucked at them

OT, but does anyone listen to Kasabian other than at a festival?

beej

Wow, King Pleasure and the Biscuit Boys are still going (looking at the Y Not line up).

They used to play the VD Centre at Aston Uni in about 1990.

Best thing about festivals for me is discovering new bands, though Download is more my thing.

Blackflag
    Free Member

OT, but does anyone listen to Kasabian other than at a festival?

Noel Fielding i think. But that’s about it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m not whining. But other festivals don’t get it and Glastonbury is a commercial venture.

It’s more of a social enterprise. The organisers take a salary, I think Michael and Emily earn £60k a year from it. A lot more than most, but a lot less almost anyone else who owns such a valuable business. They aim to make a profit of around £2m per year, which gets donated to charity. In fact in some years they donate more than they make, they run about a £10m cash reserve which allows them to do things like survive Covid, have rest years and keep a full time staff of around 50.

Personally I went to Glastonbury a few times over the years when I was younger, the TV show really doesn’t tell the story of what it’s like away from the stages. It’s far from mainstream and dull, whoever said that has obviously never been.

I enjoy watching some of it on the TV every year, from the comfort of my Sofa with a beer and reminiscing about when I was young and spent the whole weekend in one long party.

I’m sure there are loads of smaller, more niche festivals to appeal to the Hipster crowd, and I#ve enjoyed them too, but Glastonbury is really very special.

Sorry the OP doesn’t like, it but I find it hard understand why they’d be so upset about it – most of it’s tucked away on the Red Button so it doesn’t get in the way of The Wall or whatever the BBC usually puts out at the weekend. I just don’t get the hatred.

PrinceJohn

Christ this place has become toxic, as far as I can see @TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsStr has said nothing offensive about Kae Tempest, didn’t seem to stop a bunch of you piling on, either for a bit of virtue signalling or just cos you are unpleasant tw**s, it doesn’t matter. Just wind your bloody necks in. You’re ruining this place.

What they said was pretty unpleasant – intentionally or not. It’s nice to know the forum doesn’t tolerate said unpleasantness.

Speeder

P-Jay – it’s wall to wall on 6Music ATM and if you’re a regular listener but not into Glasto (or live music/festivals in general) it might have begun to grate already

johndoh
    Free Member

Best thing about festivals for me is discovering new bands

Yeah I discovered Toploader that way – they were a random band I had never heard of and first up (well, after the Glastonbury Town Band) on The Other Stage before they had released Oka’s Big Moka – I thought they were great and wondered why on earth they were so far down the bill.

TBF, that Glastonbury energy didn’t translate to the album though – it was dreadful.

Pieface

As others have said there is sooooo much more to Glasto than the music.

Anyway’s, I like the coverage on the bBC with the red button, and hearing it on the radio is tolerable, although the whole thing makes me want to be there.

Radio 6 tends to make a fortnight’s worth of material of whatever they’ve been to currently, whether that be Glastonbury, the Radio 6 weekender, Lattitude or Wimbledon.

andylc
    Free Member

I was just about to say condolences for discovering Toploader…

rOcKeTdOg

Yeah I discovered Toploader that way

Toploader played at my local pub “festival” a couple of weeks ago, they launched into “dancing in the moonlight” accompanied by the local Morris dancers clicking sticks to it.
    The singer was heard to say ” well, this is a first”

anagallis_arvensis

I avoid most Glastonbury coverage these days. I miss the guy who could do this,

I’ve done Glastonbury a few times back when my idea of heaven was spending 3 days munching my way through a massive bag of pills, washed down with Stella, but these days I like to watch it on the tellybox from the sofa with a glass of wine and knowing my trip to bed will involve a flight of stairs, not some hellish, apocalyptic trudge through seas of tents and bodies while hallucinating and paranoid 😀

What they said was pretty unpleasant – intentionally or not. It’s nice to know the forum doesn’t tolerate said unpleasantness.

Jesus Christ, get a grip

If Kae doesn’t want any reference made to the name their parents gave them, fair enough. Maybe that YouTube vid should be taken down? 🙄

People getting their knickers in a twist about it, is quite frankly ridiculous

I don’t want to listen to Kae Tempest ranting on in the same way I have no time for Billy Bragg, or Stewart Lee, nothing to do with gender choice

the-muffin-man

Looking forward to my local festival this year after being cancelled for obvious reasons

@TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

We’re giving it a miss this year. Didn’t know how we’d be fixed due to house move so got a refund after last years cancellation.

Giving Rock and Blues a try at Pentrich (as we can walk to it from our new abode!). Harnessing my 80’s rock persona and we don’t need to commit to 4 days of guaranteed rain. 🙂

Catch Dinosaur Pile Up if you can though.

…and Kelis won’t turn up! 🙂

\m/

Northwind

BBC also had some download coverage, just that it’s spread out over months in the rock show instead of wall to wall. But that’s because download is way nicher than glastonbury. And Radio 1 definitely covered Reading last time i was there, because we spoiled a live broadcast by shouting abuse at Mary Anne Hobbes

Glasto is after all the festival that you have to buy tickets for before you know who’s playing it, so it’s the perfect match for the radio where you want to listen to music but you don’t know what.

Festival coverage has got to be cheap content tbh.

matt_outandabout

But other festivals don’t get it and Glastonbury is a commercial venture.

See also Football vs other sports.
    Money, innit?

martinhutch

King Pleasure and the Biscuit Boys are still going

Saw them in Burnley a few years ago. The kids were unimpressed, but I didn’t care. 🙂

I miss the guy who could do this,

He had to calm down a bit after marrying Cat Deeley. 🙂

oldfart

As a local ( well 5 miles down the road ) who has never been , but like music but festivals not my thing can I just say stop with all the references to Glastonbury as for Glasto 🤢 are you the same people who go on hollibobs not holidays and have Fam not family the festival is held in PILTON which if you’ve ever been is a village at least 3 miles from my home town 🙄
    As for Auntie Beeb and her saturation coverage they were talking about trains to Glastonbury won’t be disrupted by the rail strike , oh really ? 🤔 The station in Glastonbury was a victim of Dr Beeching almost 60 years ago now
    Those travelling by train will alight at Castle Cary get bussed directly to PILTON then after do the same in reverse never actually setting foot in Glastonbury 🙄
    The unfortunate fallout of the mystical marketing of Glastonbury over many years / centuries is we now have a very real problem of ex hippies and layabouts blighting the town with their unroadworthy vehicles and the associated problems that go with it partly due to these people being encouraged to come and a lot of them decided to stay 😡😡😡😡

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

it’s wall to wall on 6Music ATM and if you’re a regular listener but not into Glasto (or live music/festivals in general) it might have begun to grate already

I like 6 music and Glasto, but the none stop bleating about it had me swapping channels at about 9am 🤣🤣

chriscubed

Now we’re over the talk about getting there and the build p before it starts, It’s making good background music whilst working from home.

But I’m hoping for wall to wall coverage…quite excited by the top few on the John Peel stage on Friday, or the Waterboys on saturday

toby1

The Pulp and Beyonce live stuff today has been pretty dreadful at the times I’ve listened.

Kae, like them or not is capable of performing long, complex, rhythmic poems that deserve respect not derision. I saw them supporting Dan Le Sac and Scroobius Pip many moons ago and *was well impressed*.

The shear wall to wall coverage by 6 does get tedious, but what am I going to do, listen to Kiss?

Twodogs

And they’ll keep bleating about it for about 2 weeks afterwards too. And repeating the same gigs over and over again

retrorick

The unfortunate fallout of the mystical marketing of Glastonbury over many years / centuries is we now have a very real problem of ex hippies and layabouts blighting the town with their unroadworthy vehicles and the associated problems that go with it partly due to these people being encouraged to come and a lot of them decided to stay 😡😡😡😡

Took a quick trip to the Tor last year and found a parking space just near the entrance to the path to the top. Looked like lots of vans were there for the long term waiting for mystical apparitions to appear 🤔

BoardinBob

Kae, like them or not is capable of performing long, complex, rhythmic poems that deserve respect not derision

That video posted on the previous page is my first, and hopefully last, experience of Kae. Absolutely abysmal. Whatever the Chinese are doing to the Uighur, it can’t be as bad as have to sit through a Kae Tempest performance

supernova

I’d never heard of Kate Tempest before, but that video clip was excellent. I’ll be looking for more about them.

That video posted on the previous page is my first, and hopefully last, experience of Kae. Absolutely abysmal. Whatever the Chinese are doing to the Uighur, it can’t be as bad as have to sit through a Kae Tempest performance

Lolz 😂😂😂

Agree

I’d never heard of Kate Tempest before, but that video clip was excellent. I’ll be looking for more about them

Who is this Kate you speak of? 🤔

kimbers

Have to agree about Sky’s IOW coverage

Makes you realise how hard it is to cover a festival!

Festivals sound pretty dire on the radio, but they can be a good watch on TV

I tend to avoid Glastonbury on tv, as being honest I get jealous I’m not there!

And while I’ve seen some great bands there, personal highlights have always been all the other stuff that goes on the atmos , random encounters and new discoveries, making friends and being with mates- all whilst completely off my face

And I’m far too old for that business now

binners

If you didn’t catch it the other day, the BBC documentary Glastonbury: 50 Years and Counting Is well worth a viewing.

The black and white footage of the early 70’s with all the hippies off their tits on acid rolling around in the mud is brilliant!

kimbers

The black and white footage of the early 70’s with all the hippies off their tits on acid rolling around in the mud is brilliant!

My first glasto – mid 90s- was before the big fence went up, it was insanely overcrowded, dirty, unhygienic, stuff got nicked, but an amazing experience just because there were so many completely off their head hippies! The dance tent was unreal.

The last time I went, about 15 years ago?
    It was all designer wellies, selfies and people doing coke

Definitely not the same!

We’re giving it a miss this year. Didn’t know how we’d be fixed due to house move so got a refund after last years cancellation.

Giving Rock and Blues a try at Pentrich (as we can walk to it from our new abode!). Harnessing my 80’s rock persona and we don’t need to commit to 4 days of guaranteed rain. 🙂

Catch Dinosaur Pile Up if you can though.

…and Kelis won’t turn up! 🙂

@the-muffin-man

Shame, I’m buzzing for it this year

Heard a bit about R&B, have a few biker mates that go – nothing wrong with a bit of rock/blues – I have Planet Rock on 90% of the time.

Fancy Download,  but never got round to it – that’s usually a mud fest, but seems I missed out this year

Also fancied Bearded Theory – Placebo were headlining, but just got too much on this year. GnR kicks it all off a week on Sat

Hopefully Y-not won’t be 4 days of rain – it’s usually just the last 2, but when it comes, it bloody comes haha

And yeah – of course she won’t!!!! Ha

ampthill

The BBC must pay some one for this. The broadcast rights of the songs minimum

binners

before the big fence went up, it was insanely overcrowded, dirty, unhygienic, stuff got nicked, but an amazing experience

Yip. My first one was 89, when the whole acid house thing was kicking off big time. I barely remember who was on the main stage. It was all about the sound systems on the peripheries. It was absolutely baking hot. We were frazzled, literally and metaphorically by the end of the weekend. 😃

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 370 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.