Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 627 total)
  • Chub Club 2020
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Exceeded the original target and was really pleased but I definitely need a push to keep on it. Since working from home all self-control has gone out the window back to caning all the kids chocolate and living on toast and butter (lots and lots of lovely salty butter…)
    Got the turbo in the back room but it’s the discipline I need to get back!!

FB-ATB

I’ve got the double whammy of Easter coming up and my daughter’s birthday tomorrow so there will be cake and she’s making shortbread biscuits too.

ali69er
    Free Member

I think it’s been amazing how easy I have found it to get back on track with weight loss during this time. I work away a lot and eat rubbish food because I have no self-control and get bored so eat. Whilst at home I have exercised, eaten at a decent time, eaten well.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Long time lurker on STW now joining for chub club Q2.

Have always struggled not to stuff my face since I was about 12, but took up running in a big way ~15 y ago and that sorted the weight issue … until the triple whammy of
    a) a knee cartilage issue (just age, no fixing that)
    b) Mum getting ill and dying last year (months spent shuttling to & from the hospital and not particularly watching what I eat, though the hospital did, to be fair, make a big effort to provide healthier food in their canteen & machines)
    and
    c) longrunning plantar fasciitis – I *was* seeing the physio about that but #lockdown

I’ve cycled to work and for a bit of fun for years but luckily I bought my first proper road bike last year (second hand off a clubmate, spent the money saved on a proper bike for & new cranks, saddle & bars) so I’m really enjoying getting out on that. Live right on the edge of town so can get out into deserted country lanes and byways easily. *Had* signed up for my first short sportives which of course are now all cancelled.

My crappy knee needs me to lose weight and given that complications from diabetes polished Mum off I’m keen to not go the same way.

Have lost weight before it’s just having the headspace and accountability.

Jim, toast is my kryptonite too! Have fished out a duck shaped popcorn maker from the back of a dark cupboard to provide less fattening carb-snax.

Freester

Thought I should add to this thread. Back before Xmas my GP told me I needed to sort out my Blood Pressure. On the borderline high limit for years I’d just crept over and he’d told me I needed to get it back down or he’d be medicating. Last chance. 6’3″. 17.5 stone. Keen roadie and MTBer but always used the exercise as an excuse to eat and drink whatever the hell I wanted. Plug that weight / height into the NHS BMI and I was well over but I always told myself I was big boned. I think tall big framed guys can carry extra timber without it being obvious.

Anyway in Jan I started on the Dr Michael Mosley Blood Sugar Diet on my GPs recommendation. Really aimed at T2 Diabetic and Pre-diabetics it’s all about cutting out the processed carbs and starches. Ie. Bread, Potato, White Rice, Sugary stuff. But lots of veg, meat eggs and natural fats.

I stuck to this diet 800 cals a day for 6 weeks. Didn’t have a drink for 6 weeks. Lost 2 stone. Went skiing. Allowed myself a drink or two (mainly red wine or malt but the occasional beer) but stuck to the principles of the diet without counting the calories and didn’t lose or gain.

Since I got back I’ve been ‘maintaining’. My weight crept down to 15 stone but now has levelled out as I get a grip as to what / how much I should eat to not continue to lose weight. So 2.5 stone weight loss. I feel great, less tired. Majority of weight lost around belly. I’ve gone from 38 to 34 inch jeans. And when out on my bike I’m beating all my climbing PRs on Strava without trying!

I like the diet. I was a bread / pasta monster. But I don’t miss it. The food is nice and tasty and I’m allowed occasional coffee with milk, breakfast is either eggs or natural full fat yoghurt. Plenty of chicken and veg and nuts. Occasional small bit of cheese which I love. I feel nowhere near as hungry as I used to I actually have to make myself eat to ensure my weight doesn’t continue to creep down. It’s a change in lifestyle tho. Once the weight is off no creeping back to the bad habits but so far so good after 3 months.

RobHilton
    Free Member

stripeysocks
    Long time lurker on STW now joining for chub club Q2.

Welcome, stripes!
    Being portly, falling to bits and not riding mountain bikes is what we’re all about – you’ll fit right in 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

I think it’s been amazing how easy I have found it to get back on track with weight loss during this time. I work away a lot and eat rubbish food because I have no self-control and get bored so eat. Whilst at home I have exercised, eaten at a decent time, eaten well.

Enforced WFH/lockdownlite is doing wonders for me! I now have time to go shopping and cook and make salads.
    I’m losing weight without really trying as I can’t go to the pub every night, I’m drinking less and can be arsed to ride a bike again – YAAAAAAY!!

chrisdb
    Free Member

Lockdown is OK for me so far, been getting regular rides/turbo sessions but also eating a bit more as a result. Was generally hitting 1500 cals a day with less exercise, now close to 2000 but still losing at a similar rate. -3lb last week so happy with that.

franksinatra

9 nights on covid ward, complete loss of appetite and hospital food helped me shift 4kg. Something good has come out near death illness!

coconut
    Free Member

Folks… Check out the 8/16 diet, it’s really easy after a few days. You can train your body to start acting differently to digestion. I make home made museli with oat milk and this fills you up for a long time. You can also have alcohol on this diet. Stick to a 8/16 and you should drop around a KG per week (combine with zero white sugar)

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I lost a kilo/week for 3 months straight by eating 500 kcals less than my maintenance amount (2300-500 = 1800).

Porridge is a good one for filling you up in the morning.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Freely admit here to doing the weigh-in right after a ride as actual progress towards the target – however spuriously achieved – motivates me to hang on to it and keep it up.
    Good job it’s cooling off the next few days as newbie here only has one shortsleeved cycling jersey!

Tiger6791

I am a lockdown fattie
    I seem to be unable to self isolate myself from the fridge & wine rack
    I am a lockdown fattie
    I am a lockdown fattie
    I am a lockdown fattie

🙁

cheers_drive

Well I’m back to my wk2 weight, after 3 weeks of lockdown. when stuck at home with 2 preschool kids the only solace is caffeine, biscuits and cake during the day and alcohol in the evening.

Garry_Lager

Rich tea biscuits the answer mate. No one likes them but it’s still a biscuit.

FB-ATB

I’m finding it hard going – 2 cakes last weekend for my daughter’s Birthday & an Easter cake, she’s also taken to making Welsh cakes as is her birthright.
    My son’s on a bread making frenzy- focaccia last night, previous breads have been made to eat with baked camembert. No wonder there’s no sodding flour or yeast in the shops!

They also had a go at making fresh pasta with the machine that’s been sat at the back of the cupboard for years. I’m sure the factory in Italy that makes them has a good laugh at the gullible foreigners that buy them.

We’re also doing more social drinking with friends over zoom as there’s no childcare to have to sort out and no diary clashes!

So in all I’m taking a 0.2kg loss as a win!

Rich tea biscuits the answer mate

Might as well just eat the coaster your mugs on! But nowhere near the abominations that are so called “Nice” biscuits or m****d milk. Can’t even bear to type the name of them they’re so disgusting.

A group of us are growing “lockdown beards” for a laugh as on our first zoom drinking session, we hadn’t shaved for a few days. So I’m claiming that my beard growth is a factor in reduced weight loss!

muggomagic

I’m chuffed that I have managed to lose a tiny bit more after losing 4lbs in one week prior.

Not ridden quite as much this week and been drinking way too much. Really thought I would be putting all that I’d lost back on this week.

cheers_drive

So I’m claiming that my beard growth is a factor in reduced weight loss!

I absent-mindedly shaved off a strip off my lock-down beard this morning whilst trimming it so decided to take it all off. I then weighed myself and I’d gone up 0.9kg so you could be correct.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Lockdown food has pros and cons, I now don’t have access to the free biscuits at work (good) but since the OH’s commute has shrunk to 30secs there’s been homemade pizza (healthy mind) and yesterday, tour de force, rhubarb sorbet.
    I’m just trying to get enough sleep, stay active, and not have huge portions…
    I may try the writing lines approach if I get desperate tho!!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Well, my weight wasn’t really shifting much. Considering I had dropped 15% of my body weight since I worked out my daily maintenance calories at New Year’s and took 500 off for my daily target I guess it was fair to recalculate.
    So 1600 a day instead of 1800 a day for the last few days with some bike rides on top has finally shifted that last bit of weight and I’m down to 74 kg[11 st 9lbs] (target of 75kg [11st 11lbs]). Not bad considering I was 88kg at Hogmanay [13st 12lbs].

I now have a six pack.

Plan now is to just stay at this weight for the rest of lockdown, let my metabolism get used to the ‘new normal’ and then get in the gym once they re-open and start building lean mass.

My goal was always two-fold
    1) Reduce weight to take stress off my knee joint which was damaged in a motorbike accident 10 years ago. I was taking opiate painkillers daily and developing arthritis (at the age of 38), with a knee replacement probably required at 45. Last time I spoke to the docs during this weight loss thing (at 84kg) they said the knee was looking better and I’d put the replacement surgery back 20 years. I’ve also stopped taking opiates every day which is a good thing (though the withdrawal messed with my head a bit!)

2) Get better at mountain biking. Which required improved core, leg and upper body strength and less weight to haul up the hills – I hate climbing. I started weight lifting about 9 months ago and can lift double what I could when I started, so strength is up and taking 30lbs off has got to affect the other side of the power:weight ratio!

So, I guess I’ll keep logging my weight to make sure it doesn’t go back up, but I guess I am not really losing any more.

Hoping you can all keep the head and focus on this. It can work, but it does need focus. I live by myself and don’t work any more )WFH before COVID-19 anyway) so in a sense I was in a great position to be able to make weight loss a priority.

Tiger6791

I know it’s hard to tell but it’s Friday today and weigh in!!

1lb lost this week, not great but a loss is a loss 👍

FB-ATB

Somehow lost 1.7kg- not really done much different to other weeks so fairly surprised. Just means I’m 300g away from not being an overweight BMI.

doomanic

700g this week, which is less than average for a weekly loss but I have pushed my daily calories a little bit and had pork belly 3 times this week…
    94.4KG which puts me at 30.1 on the NHS BMI scale. I was hoping to be out of the obese category at last, but it’ll have to wait til next week.

doomanic

And here we are; next week.

A 2KG loss sees me at 92.4KG and a BMI of 29.4 so I am officially no longer obese! This pleases me.

Wally

Friday salutations all.
    + 5lbs during lockdown, simple stress eating and drinking.
    It’s 1st May and I have gone two days without alcohol or coffee.
    Two days…….
    Resting Pulse has dropped to 37 from 46 and sleeping better.

FB-ATB

Dropped 0.5kg- my daughter making cupcakes doesn’t help. However, I’m no longer overweight- just at the top of the “normal” BMI.
    I’ll aim to loose a few more kg to have a bit of leeway- especially at the rate the kids are making bread and cakes.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Weight is still sitting around the same but waist measurement has come in a bit.

Looking at my Strava stats for April I’ve done:
    89 hours of exercise, with only a single day without any. A mix of bike rides, walks and home workouts accounting for about 26,000 calories expended.

juanking

Gone up 400g based on last week but I’ve now restarted my exercise and clocking 100k per week on my bike. Been pretty sedentary for the past 6 weeks or so so going up ~.5kg is ok.

Trying to work out how/where to exercise but theres a good 33k loop from my front door but just need to best think social distancing. The old line is quiet in the morning but busier on return so might invest in a mask of some sort.

Anyway, 6 weeks of wfh and not much moving with only a .5kg penalty ain’t bad.

Onwards and upwards chaps.

Tiger6791

Small loss here, it’s definitely harder being home all the time..

However, I’m no longer overweight- just at the top of the “normal” BMI.

Good work!! This is my aim

RobHilton
    Free Member

Rob’s been drinking too much.
    Rob’s weight is going the worng way.
    No alcohol for Rob for the next month – it’s become far too much of a habit to drink every night…

FB-ATB

Good work!! This is my aim

Cheers, I was nudging obesity, so if I (a chocoholic) can do it, anyone else can.

theotherjonv

Strange times. Been snacking far too much but that’s my poison when stressed and I don’t need the extra stress of dieting as well now…..

On the other hand I’m getting around 8-9 hours of hard exercise a week – 4 or 5 rides of around 75 mins a time +/- which are all at a fair intensity, top end Z3/Z4 with Z5 efforts

And 2x Boot camps for an hour each.

So weight is pretty flat but….. I had to go into work yesterday for my dury rota (first time in 3 weeks) and my trousers are loose and belt in by a notch and a half.

I’m calling it a draw then.

Tiger6791

I’ve worked out my quarantine binge eater and alcoholic name !

You take your given first name and your family surname and use them!

Anyway lost just short of 3lbs this week which after staying pretty much the same for weeks is a right results based on the nightly beer consumption and fridge raiding I’ve been doing…

ali69er
    Free Member

Another kg down this week. After yo yo ing most of the year so far but generally going down I have lost over 10kg since lockdown began. But giving up alcohol this part 2 months has probably been more significant than what I am eating.

dyls

Wow….10kg lost in 2 months is very good 👍

StuE
    Free Member

Another reason to shift some fat
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52561757

StuE
    Free Member

Steadily losing weight over the last 6 weeks,ride the hardtail 5 days, a day on the ebike and a rest day,pretty much stopped drinking and not snacking nearly as much, retired 2 years ago and my weight and gradually crept up this was the kick in arse I needed

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’m a bit uppy-downy, but under target, so I’m pretty happy.

Another reason to shift some fat
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52561757

This tubby thing is very much a reason for caution – we’re focussing on BMI>25 as one indicator of risk. I’m now at 24…

northernmatt

I’ve been quiet and missed out for the past few weeks. Annoyingly even though I’ve been out on the bike a bit I’m still a steady 15st 9lb. Looks like I’ll have to cut down on other things like crisps and biscuits which is proving difficult while cooped up at home.

FB-ATB

cut down on other things like crisps and biscuits

Stop buying them?

The missus still buys choc bars etc “for the kids”. Damn hard to avoid them.

BMI>25 as one indicator of risk. I’m now at 24

That’s been my target, just under 25 at mo so normal, but NHS BMI check says to watch out cos I’m almost a fatty. Got to get under 72kg before it says I’m ok.
    Annoyingly got a healthcare app from when I was sent an invitation to one of the oldie healthcheck. Even though my bmi is now “normal” the app says I’m a fatty. I have to get to c65kg before it stops saying I need to loose weight.

Even though I’ve gone from 86kg to 74kg on chub club and still have a gut to reduce, I doubt I could drop another 9kg.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 627 total)

The topic ‘Chub Club 2020’ is closed to new replies.