Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)
  • Films that are so awful, they're actually quite good?
  • binners

Just watching the Perfect Storm on ITV2. It’s utterly preposterous! It lost credibility on the idea that they could fly a Black Hawk helicopter through a tornado. But then when the C130 turned up to refuel it mid-air – in a hurricane – we became strangely enthralled as to how ridiculous it could get. Every single word of ludicrously clichéd (even for Americans) dialogue is comically over-acted. As mrs Binners observed, all it’s missing is for Nicholas Cage to pop up saying ‘I just want to get home to my wife and kids!’

Your nominations for films that are so monumentally awful, they become strangely compelling?

sobriety
    Free Member

Love, Actually. I watched it for the first time on Friday. It should have been terrible, but was somehow endearing and enjoyable.

wukfit
    Free Member

Crocodile Dundee II, absolutely love it but not sure compelling the right word 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

All the fast and furious movies.

Is like if they made the sun newspaper into a movie.

dazh

Prometheus. Actually no that’s just awful.

Idiocracy.

nealglover
    Free Member

SHARKNADO !!

jon1973
    Free Member

Roadhouse
    Every which way but loose

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I suspect it was done in a very knowing way, but The Fifth Element is gloriously bonkers.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Watching 1941 on telly right now 🙂

meehaja
    Free Member

I got stuck watching one of the “step up” movies. by the end I was quite into it!

Cougar

Step Up is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

Mind you, I could happily spend an hour and a half watching Eliza Dushku eat crisps.

sadexpunk

one that springs to my mind was a good few years ago now called street trash. a load of down and outs in a scrap yard drinking some poisonous stuff that melted their insides. also included them slicing someones n*b off and playing american football with it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Independence Day. Truly awful film but I always find myself watching it when it’s on.

wiggles
    Free Member

Deep blue sea

Northwind

sobriety – Member

Love, Actually. I watched it for the first time on Friday. It should have been terrible, but was somehow endearing and enjoyable.

I was forced to go and see Love, Actually by an ex (I wanted to see Master And Commander: Far Side Of The World but was vetoed). Loved it. Never admitted it 😆

RichPenny
    Free Member

Iron Sky,which is fantastic. Who isn’t going to love a sci-fi comedy about a Nazi base on the moon?

lister

Ski School. Low budget, badly made but so quotable and fun. It’s become a ritual that we watch it every year now, usually in a dodgy bunk house in January…

Many hate it though.

RichPenny
    Free Member

The Fifth Element

GTFO! Nothing about that film is awful.

lister

+1 for Love Actually here as well…but if i could cut the annoying American woman with the demanding brother out then it would improve the film no end.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve never understood this genre – I used to have a group of mates that would hunt down shit films to guffaw at, horror films and suchlike, the bond movies, but I never quite got it.. shit films to me are just a bit shit..

it made me feel quite stupid if I’m honest 😳

snakebite
    Free Member

Dog Soldiers.

Pigface
    Free Member

Anything with Statham in it.

eltonerino

Terrorvision – so bad it’s nearly good.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Dog soldiers for me, so crap it’s good 😀

Edit- snakebite beat me to it 🙂

Duggan

Jingle All the Way, bit of a festive staple for me

Vern0n
    Free Member

Junior – Arnie, DeVito and Emma Thompson. Not my type of film! So cringeworthy but I could watch this again and again!

8)

dazh

Oh I’ve just remembered. 2012! Quite simply the most hilariously rubbish hollywood blockbuster in decades.

brakes
    Free Member

Behind Enemy Lines (it was on TCM last night)
    its badness is largely down to Owen Wilson’s performance (exacerbated by his more recent character stereotyping) but the plot, the Team America gung-honess and the political ignorance don’t help, but I do find it a captivating film

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Just thought of another one – Starship Troopers.

obelix
    Free Member

Little Shop of Horrors…

Feed me Seymour!

fourbanger
    Free Member

I quite liked Dog Soldiers!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rich, it’s a gloriously bonkers film. Everything about it is awful, script, hammy acting etc. And yet, it is simply sublime!

Starship Troopers is another, very knowing.

fourbanger
    Free Member

bjj.andy.w, just add Taxi, Blade and Donie Darko and you’ve listed some of the best films of my formative years!

Drac

Waterworld.

The Fifth Element

What the hell?

Right where’d I put the ban hammer.

molgrips
    Free Member

I suspect it was done in a very knowing way, but The Fifth Element is gloriously bonkers.

Just put this on, actually. I was discussing with the wife how it’s the only film I can think of that aims to be simultaneously a spoof and a serious action movie and achieves both brilliantly. It’s a perfect film.

I once watched Plan 9 from Outer Space, supposedly the worst film ever made, thinking it’d be so bad it’d be a laugh. It went beyond that and it really was just shit.

I’m not sure if stuff like XXX or Jason Statham films count as ‘so bad they’re good’, because they’re supposed to be stupid and some of them do it quite well.

Who am I? with Jackie Chan is a bit of a weird mix. Some of it is really crappy but some of it is just genius.

Starship Troopers is a clever film. The main message is really obvious when it’s pointed out, but it’s so unusual that you just don’t notice it at first. The first time you watch it after you’ve twigged it’s like watching a different film.

However none of these come under the ‘so bad it’s good’ category. They are all high quality films.

I might nominate.. Independence Day. Bad, but I really enjoyed it in the cinema.

MrNice
    Free Member

Starship Troopers can be viewed (in a chin stroking style) as commenting on fascism and fascist imagery. On the other hand it’s got huge bugs and lots of beautiful people getting killed. I like it both ways.

twohats
    Free Member

Con Air.

Mark

Binners, TPS is biographical btw. The helicopter stuff happened by all accounts including the ditching and the loss of a crew member. The bits after the radio mast blew off the Andrea Gail are made up of course as the boat and crew were never found and the captain of the yacht that was rescued doesn’t agree with the account given by his two female crew mates. His account is backed up by the fact his yacht was washed up on a beach three days later perfectly intact.

bloodynora
    Free Member

All of Arnies films…. oh and Con Air

philb88
    Free Member

Definitely starship troopers!

I’ll give a vote for Ali G film

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Films that are so awful, they're actually quite good?’ is closed to new replies.