Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Seems I've just bought a pink bike…..
  • muzza80
    Free Member

Erm… so been after a commuter and bonus when my company offered the deal through bikes4work again last month.

Really wanted an Alfine geared bike for trouble free all weather commuting but limited to Evans cycles. Cannondale used to do a Badboy Alfine but not this year.

Anyway after much deliberation I opted for the Charge Grater 3 at £849, on paper ticked all the boxes, Alfine, guards, nice brakes and other components, looks nice too…

So ordered it online as no local stores have it in stock and it’s arrived today, what’s immediately obvious is that actually it’s not silver as the pics suggest it has a very obvious pearl effect to the paint, in daylight it looks what can only be described as pink! 🙁

My Mrs’s first words were “are you sure it’s not a womans bike”!

So I have a dilemma, I love the bike it ticks all the right boxes for me but I honestly don’t know if I can bring myself to commute in and out of Glasgow on a pink bike lol

But I really want Alfine and there’s not another bike Evans do with the same good spec for the money.

ARGHHH

Gay up and go with it or man out and get something like this very manly Cannondale Badboy 29’er but with a lesser Alivo/Acera spec?

Or any other recommendations?

bokonon
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the pink pearlescent finish will make your commute come alive under your wheels.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MoseyMTB
    Free Member

By gay you mean happy right?

ads678

I think the fact your asking what you should do on the internet makes you even gayerer!

Just ride faster 😀

mikey74
    Free Member

Looks ok here:

Pink Bike

loddrik
    Free Member

Pink bikes look great, what I don’t get is that the Badboy is already 700c, so what qualifies the one above as a 29er? Wider tyres? If so, does that not make it a normal 29er, or is a rigid 29er with skinny slick tyres in black a Badboy….? 😕

muzza80
    Free Member

Yeah thanks Mikey, this video shows it pretty clearly, DEFO pinky tinge there.

http://www.chargebikes.com/bicycle-collection/grater-3

Wish I’d seen that last week…..

Actually just found last years Charge Mixer for £769.99 down from £1000, Alfine 11 speed! I swear that was not £769 last week!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/mixer-11-2013-hybrid-bike-ec054337

It’s a very traditional looking bike though, I’m not a very traditional looking guy….

dirtyrider
    Free Member

is it 2003 again?

Northwind

Gay as ****

Did I say gay? I meant, awesome.

TooTall
    Free Member

My road bike is lilac. Her long legs make her less-than-pretty to some, but I am confident in my het-ness and can ride a lilac bike. MTFU and ride the pinkness.

pictonroad

Pearlescent pink? I have a wide spectrum of bad Taste and I’d pass on that.

If you’re gonna go pink it has to be bold.

pictonroad

Now THAT is a striking looking bike…

Wow.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

that road bike looks broken 😆

muzza80
    Free Member

Pearlescent pink? I have a wide spectrum of bad Taste and I’d pass on that.

If you’re gonna go pink it has to be bold.

I know… it’s quite nasty.

What do you reckon the chances of Charge taking the brand new frame back and swapping for a white one the same like they supply with the lower spec Grater 2?

You reckon it’s even worth asking? 😕

yorlin
    Free Member

Of course it’s worth asking!

Just start the email “I’m not gay but…”

😆

papamountain
    Free Member

You’ll need some new kit to go with that..

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Nitromors and wire wool…..then polish it.

It’s not a bike for bashing around on, so it’s highly likely you’ll never need to warranty it.

RustySpanner

I like it. 🙂
    Seriously, it’s a cracking bike.

However, if the colour triggers some feelings you’d rather repress, change it for the Mixer.

TBH, the Mixer does look better value, but it’s a bit boring isn’t it?

looks nice too…

Are we looking at the same bike?

I think the colour is the least of your worries – I actually quite like the lilac/not pink colour…

😉

granny_ring

TT, did you get the bike from Billy Smarts? 🙂

matt_outandabout

Permanent marker and half an hour should tone the pink down.
    Or do a complete wrap in tape to protect bike and hide colour.

Houns

You’re obviously not man enough for pink or trying to surprises some deep feelings

tonyd

Just ride the pink one. What’s the chances of those manly Glasgow bike thieves wanting to steal a pink bike?

duntstick
    Free Member

Pink, great for commuting, best anti-theft device ever

Edit; Yeah, wot he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Must type quicker 🙂

milky1980
    Free Member

Quite like that pink effect 😳

I seriously wouldn’t worry about it, a bit of road grime will tone it down.

bellefied
    Free Member

on the positive side no one is going to nick a pink bike! 😀

andyl
    Free Member

If it fits well, rides well and is a good price and spec then just ride it. You won’t be too worried about scratches and dirt etc and you can always tape it up fit frame bags etc. In fact the electrical tape wrap is good for making a bike look scruffy to keep down scrote appeal.

Tootall – is that the bike that is even too big for Mark to ride? You seriously needs 36″ wheels.

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

You’ll be going too fast for people to see the colour so don’t worry and if they do shout insults such as “like the colour mate” then just do as I do when riding my Pink ScandAL and retort with “I like it sweety!” They normally shut up at that point 😆

plumber
    Free Member

Pink bikes never ever get stolen, I have two and nobody wants to take them home

shifter
    Free Member

Cannondale ebb not very good imo. Keep the Grater.

Edit: that makes no sense!

Keep the Grater anyway 🙂

jaymoid

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaG5SAw1n0c[/video]

Seriously though, I like it and would definitely ride it. My Raliegh Activator was purple.

If you feel strongly though, why not strip it down and powdercoat it?

bellefied
    Free Member

anyway, its not pink its lilac…. and that’s a much more manly colour 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

Tootall – is that the bike that is even too big for Mark to ride? You seriously needs 36″ wheels.

It is Mark’s old frame and forks – yes. I am in discussions with a very nice chap over here who makes 36″ mountain bikes – I want one but would need to sell organs / child to afford right now.

muzza80
    Free Member

To be honest a couple of days on and it’s grown on me, rides brilliantly, very quick, comfortable and that Alfine rear hub is a dream and I’ve just rode it into work so it it aint going back now anyway.

Big up to Charge bikes who did say they would have swapped the frame for me no bother if it weren’t for the fact my model uses an eccentric bb and the others dont.

I did get some funny looks but I reckon that was probably more to do with the fat dude on skinny bike rather than the colour.

Anyway darlings, best do some now xx

…oh no, what’s it done to me!!! 😯 😆

FOG

My pinkness came in a similar unexpected manner. After my [black] frame cracked it was replaced under warranty. I had a phone call from the bike shop which ran like this, ‘Some good news and some bad news, your frame has come but its pink!’ The bike manufacturers called it ‘Neon Red’ but it is definitely pink which I have got used to to the extent I bought a 456 in metallic pink.

monksie
    Free Member

Wrong thread

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Seems I've just bought a pink bike…..’ is closed to new replies.