Home Forums Chat Forum UK Election!

Viewing 40 posts - 8,161 through 8,200 (of 8,917 total)
  • UK Election!
  • binners

In other news, I bet this is not only the first but the last time that all 5 Reform MPs are seen in the houses of parliament at the same time

tjagain

Ta Jordan.  My point was as much about why I was getting so much stick for calling her irritating and that comment ( and IIRC a couple of others) went without being called out.

NO harm no foul?

binners

I’m still glad tho that streeting will have no power beyond budget over the Scots NHS tho I will bet he tries to grab some.  I do not trust him an inch.

Which bit of ‘we’re giving more power to the devlolved governments’ are you struggling with?

grahamt1980

Willing to bet that farage will be in the HoC more than Clacton though.

nickc

I did laugh tho at the “return to having a family doctor” stuff.  Its just one of those nonsense things like ” bobbies on the beat”

Yes and No, continuity of care is important, and often overlooked. Seeing the same GP each time makes a difference. If that’s being called  ‘family doctor’ then yes. But I agree; it does sound a bit hokey.

tjagain

Which bit of ‘we’re giving more power to the devlolved governments’ are you struggling with?

Believing it.  their actions and word over many years say the opposite.  We will see and if they do I will be delighted

PrinceJohn

Anyway, it looks like a long overdue return to a government that actually DOES stuff, rather than just posture for tomorrow mornings Daily Mail headlines. Though by the sound of Suella Bravermans latest unhinged outbust, it looks like the Tories are going to be doubling down on their culture war nonsense and we can expect more of the same from them, and probably little else.

Fingers crossed they’ll ignore the noise & get on with actually doing stuff

kerley
    Free Member

You can judge class by the size of TV

Working class – as big a TV that fits in the room, filling the wall if possible

Middle Class – small TV discretely placed in room or hidden in cupboard

Upper class – what is a TV?

theotherjonv

As for the sexualisation issue I remember some on here some time back said she wasn’t suitable to be the Labour leader due to her rumoured sexual proclivities. Is that what you’re talking about?
    No – some discussion about a picture of Raynor in shorts.  Creepy as eff

I’m guilty of starting the ‘discussion’. I did it in the best of intentions actually, pointing out that according to Tory/Reform commentary on my Twitter feed the new labour admin is a disaster because

1/ Their new 22yo MP has a an ill-suited haircut

2/ They’re appointing people with experience and knowledge to roles rather than career politicians

3/ AR has a suit that cost £500

4/ AR went on a Pride march and seemed to be having a good time, while wearing shorts that are ‘unbecoming of a deputy PM’

All of which are bollocks obvs, and shows how thin the opposition’s erm, opposition is at present.

I am guilty of saying she’s got some decent moves. Also that I have a bit of a thing for redheads. I can see that has been called out as creepy sexualisation and on that I guess I’m guilty.

IDK what the right thing is. I think AR is a hugely capable politician and also given her life experience and working class roots is a huge asset to the Gov and country. That is not changed at all by saying that I enjoyed the video of her on the pride march, but if saying that is creepy as eff then I’m sorry.

binners

Fingers crossed they’ll ignore the noise & get on with actually doing stuff

If they don’t take full advantage of their enormous majority, while ‘the opposition’ (such as it is) will be fighting with itself like rats in a sack, then it’ll be a wasted opportunity.

All the signs are that this is what they intend to do. Its the opposite of Johnsons aproach, who once he got into number ten appeared to think that was job done (and from his point of view, it was). I suppose we should be thankful that he squandered an 80 seat majority by doing pretty much nothing, but we’re living with the results of completely rudderless non-government for those years now.

It seems this Labour government really gets that and intends to crack on with doing stuff

benpinnick

When Labour do something good, I’ll applaud them. They’ve beaten the tories, which is fantastic, but so far haven’t done anything else other than issue a load of press releases.

Something else theyve done is not had one of their own come out and start a leadership bid, or get accused of sexual assault, or any other kind of nonsense. Tories definitely couldn’t make it to 5 days without something.

Poopscoop

dazh
    Labour are far better prepared for government than I dared hope for.

FGS they haven’t done anything yet. It’s all PR.

All they can do at this point is announce policy and appoint people to enact those policies? Well, they have already killed off the Rwanda scheme so they have enacted some policy already. You can’t skip the policy announcements and planning and go straight to enacting half arsed policy. We’ve seen where that goes.

I understand the caution and I know there absolutely will be **** ups because that’s inevitable. I just dont see Labour being constantly consumed by the corruption and cronyism that plagued the Tories.

I’m a glass half empty type by nature but I can’t see how Labour could have got off to a better start than they have? The tories are at some far right circle jerk, Reform have only just turned up… Yet Labour have already got their shizzle together and they have the burden of government after a long campaign.

I’m looking at how they approach the junior doctors strikes as an early litmus test. I expect the government won’t entirely get what it wants, nor will the doctors. The “perfect” compromise if such a thing exists but we will see. They are at least talking to the doctors which is an improvement over the Tories!

susepic

Believing it.  their actions and word over many years say the opposite.

I don’t think that Labour have had a chance to demonstrate any actions over the last 14 years……so being so tough on them at this point is pretty meaningless and gets us nowhere…

What they have done in the last 4-5 days is pretty interesting and a clear statement of intent that they want to make a difference and do it quickly.

We can keep quibbling about past Labour this and that, and our personally perceived sleights, but the only thing that matters now is what happens moving forward…..

Poopscoop

grahamt1980
    Willing to bet that farage will be in the HoC more than Clacton though.

Do they still have a subsidised bar?

tjagain

Talking to the junior doctors IMMEDIATELY on taking office ( withing 12 hours IIRC) – a good thing.  signalling there is room on wages – a good thing

As is probably painfully obvious I am more than a little skeptical of this labour government but I am impressed with the first few days.  Its more than just competence.

Is this the under promise / over deliver the Starmer fans were saying would happen?

binners

Is this the under promise / over deliver the Starmer fans were saying would happen?

The Tories went with a narrative during the campaign that Labour had no policies, which their mates in the press amplified. This was never the case, but it seems the Labour party were happy to go with the attitude of ‘well, if thats what you want to think….’ less chance of scaring the horses

kimbers

Do they still have a subsidised bar?

at present yes, but there were rumours that Sue Gray wanted them shut down

Plans afoot to shut the House of Commons bars

dazh

Green NIMBYs cherry picking their evidence in the face of an immediate need to transform our energy production.

No one is cherry picking evidence. They’re making an objective assessment of whether a specific wind farm will have the carbon benefit it is claimed. If we’re going to dig up peat bogs and release loads of carbon in addition to destroying local wildlife habitats (and yes visual impact is a thing that’s important to many local people even if you sneer at it) then the benefits better be pretty bloody obvious. In the Walshaw Estate Wind Farm case which I’m talking about it very much isn’t.

And while I’m on the subject. If our new local MP is determined to ignore opposition to this then he’s in for a bit of a shock as I’ve yet to hear a single person I know apart from yourself who thinks it’s a good idea.

spawnofyorkshire

I’m not an out and out labour fan, but this is pretty much what I expected. Their game plan was fight give the Tories or media anything to misconstrue. That meant it was pretty boring and underwhelming, but there was a plan.

Getting Sue Gray on board was a master stroke. She’s pulling the strings in the background

thecaptain
    Free Member

I would agree with tj that while it’s early days, he’s making a lot of the right noises and (more importantly) starting to do some of the right things. Better than I expected. Remains to be seen if he can actually win me over in the next 5 years.

tjagain

I don’t think that Labour have had a chance to demonstrate any actions over the last 14 years

their contempt for Holyrood is obvious and there are clear indications.  Starmers kneejerk backing of Sunaks veto of the GRA.  Starmers outright refusals to consider another referendum.  Nandy stupid comments where she effectivly threatened SNP politicians with extra judicial arrest then backtracked with meaningless twaddle about “outflanking the SNP from the left” which is of course nonsense showing deep ignorance of Scotland and Scottish politics which is pretty contemptuous.  Scottish labours behaviour over many years.

I think that and other similar things allows me to be very skeptical about them actually giving devolved entities more power

Edit – I think they mean it for the mayors and possibly Wales but not for Holyrood.  My guess is they will give everyone powers similar to Holyrood but also try to reclaim some powers back from Holyrood.  Lo0ndon labour hate that Scotland has a series of more progressive policies than they intend to have in England because it gives lie to the ~” we cannot afford it” arguement

Poopscoop

Obviously not important as such in the grand scale of things but send the electorate a good and important message. Who could really criticise such a move? To even suggest the bars are necessary is immediately easy to to argue down.

kelvin

their actions and word over many years say the opposite

It’s very easy to try and equate this government to “New Labour mk2” and assume that it’ll have the same instinct and reactions as that one. They’re clearly cherry picking some approaches where there has been substantial new work done, and dumping others where they are just idealist totems from the past. This further devolution stuff is built on the back of a lot of work done by Brown in recent years, and is already very fleshed out so that the government can get on with it from day one. Look out for the “Take Back Control” bill in the King’s Speech, that should undo some of the centralisation of decision making and destruction of local administrations… and if as trailed will go further than that. But having an open door policy and actively engaging with local elected bodies and individuals, of whatever party, has already begun. We’ve had Conservative PMs refusing not just to talk to local leaders from parties they oppose… but from their own party as well! That staleness and block on progress and activity is over. On the other hand, Blair and a string of “New Labour” ex-ministers have been pushing hard since the election for an ID card programme, based on no more recent work other than that they thought it was a good idea decades ago … to which the response from current Labour ministers has basically been “shut up, we’re busy with the important stuff we have planned”.

susepic

As is probably painfully obvious I am more than a little skeptical of this labour government but I am impressed with the first few days.  Its more than just competence

Yes, painfully obvious. But if you can see the positives from 5 days, maybe there is hope.

we’re all desperate for a reset, and lets try and be positive and supportive of stuff that seems to be moving towards a government for the country and those in need. Not saying blind adherence, but pragmatic hope and review

Sandwich

it’s that the councils took the capital that right to buy gave them and didn’t use it to add more housing stock.

As the legislation was originally enabled the councils were prohibited from building new houses, due to the “Grantham Witch” treating the economy like a domestic bank account. Very un-busineslike behaviour from someone who professed themselves to be business orientated.

Poopscoop

Lindsay Hoyle putting himself up for re-ection.

I hope he loses frankly.

intheborders
    Free Member

If you live in an area where its wild places are about to be destroyed by a wind farm which will not save any carbon due to the destruction of deep peat and will only make loads of money for the landowner and a bunch of saudi-backed private equity investors, then you might conclude that the end to the ban on onshore wind is a very bad thing. But then I know what side of the argument you’re on with this issue despite clear scientific evidence to the contrary.

“wild places”

Oh, so none where the population is then – who were the NIMBY’s stopping them?

binners

They’ve been discussing this on Five Live this morning with a couple of the new MPs. Apparently Sue Gray is on a mission to completely change the culture within the HOC, of which closing the bars is just one part. She’s had the novel idea that it should be like any other place of employment, where  there are rules and you can’t just do WTF you like with complete impunity. I can’t imagine theres any other workplace in the country that has a selection of subsidised bars.

They were also saying what Starmer intends to do straight away is bring in a proper ministerial code, with teeth, and geniune oversight and accoutability. That’ll certainly be a novelty after the last 5 years of constitutional vandalism

intheborders
    Free Member

Those Mayors, will the Teesside chap be pulled to one side to have a chat about the Freeport land I wonder?

Poopscoop

They were also saying what Starmer intends to do straight away is bring in a proper ministerial code, with teeth, and geniune oversight and accoutability.

Sucks to be a reform MP right now.

tjagain

Kelvin – its Starmer and his teams statements and actions over years that leads me to be sceptical about their intent towards holyrood.  Nowt to do with New labour or Brown

Getting rid of the bars?  A small step towards a parliament fit for the 21st centrury

dazh

“wild places”

Oh, so none where the population is then – who were the NIMBY’s stopping them?

Off topic but this is the issue, one which our local labour representatives seem to be very supportive of despite overwhelming local opposition. As always the politicians will toe the party line over and above the people they represent.

https://www.stopcalderdalewindfarm.co.uk/

poly
    Free Member

I can’t imagine theres any other workplace in the country that has a selection of subsidised bars.

20 years ago I had a meeting in the HQ of Scottish and Newcastle.  They had a bar (presumably subsidised – but not by the tax payer).  It had very strict opening rules (the person I was meeting was recalling the times when it open at lunchtime and you could get a lot of meetings done there in the afternoon)!  I can only imagine they will be even stricter now.

I don’t oppose the HOC having a bar, there are probably security reasons why it makes sense and if it encourages cross party collaboration it seems like a good thing – but I do oppose paying for it, and even more I oppose that it seemingly feeds a very unhealthy culture of inappropriate behaviour.

johnny

Not a commentator on the political threads, but on the topic of Reform’s first day in parliament and subsidised hospitality: I can’t be the only one imagining Farage slipping a 12″ badboy out from under his ill-fitting double-breasted jacket, can i…?

Alan's big plate

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t oppose the HOC having a bar, there are probably security reasons why it makes sense and if it encourages cross party collaboration it seems like a good thing – but I do oppose paying for it, and even more I oppose that it seemingly feeds a very unhealthy culture of inappropriate behaviour.

I’m inclined to agree, although I’d like to see either:

“Banned from the HOC bar” brought in as a sanction against any MP accused of any misconduct within the HOC or alcohol related elsewhere.  And the threshold should be borderline ridiculously low.  If you couldn’t (legally) legally drive a car, you shouldn’t be discussing government business.

Or it just closed down completely.  TBH at this point in time it would need a really good justification to keep it when the weight of evidence is stacked up that it drove poor behavior.  I agree that it probably provided a space for informal socializing and an element of team-building as a result.  But it’s not really a fit idea for the 21st century.  The downsides would be the well heeled members just foxtrotting off to the nearest private members club and it becoming even more of a closed shop.

binners

Lindsay Hoyle putting himself up for re-ection.

I hope he loses frankly.

Indeed. He’s been absolutely hopeless. The amount of times you saw him let Johnson then Sunak get away with murder, while doing absolutely nothing to hold them to account. If MPs want to send a message out that the culture has changed in Westminster then having a speaker more up to the job would be a good start

nickc

I think you’d be hard pushed to find anyone on the Starmer thread who’s a fan of Starmer, there’s those that are sceptical to Starmer’s labour, and those saying wait and see.

dazh

I’m looking at how they approach the junior doctors strikes as an early litmus test. I expect the government won’t entirely get what it wants, nor will the doctors. The “perfect” compromise if such a thing exists but we will see. They are at least talking to the doctors which is an improvement over the Tories!

I said before the election (numerous times) that one of the things we could expect is for the junior doctors dispute to be resolved quickly. Looks to me like this is one thing they’re prioritising so I’ll be interested to see the outcome. Streeting is either going to row back on his ‘there’s no money for pay rises’ message or he’s going to be in for a rude awakening. I suspect there’ll be a compromise with something like 10% now and further rises over the next few years to bring them back to where they should be. I suspect the rest of the public sector will also see new pay deals and settlements.

theotherjonv

it should be like any other place of employment, where  there are rules and you can’t just do WTF you like with complete impunity. I can’t imagine theres any other workplace in the country that has a selection of subsidised bars.

I’m another on the fence about this. We don’t have a bar at work, subsidised or otherwise, but we do have a staff restaurant and coffee shop that is part funded by the company, and it’s a nice place to meet informally and chat over a coffee and maybe a cake. Then, there are times when someone will suggest a social pint after work particularly on a Friday of a tough week. MP’s could just go to the many pubs around the area but I can see there are reasons why that isn’t so easy, hence I am not totally against an onsite bar.

What is clear either way is that the culture of hard drinking, and the indiscretions and bad behaviours associated must stop by sanctions with teeth as appropriate. By all means a social beer after the work is done, maybe even fostering the ‘more in common than divides us’ ethos – but just that.

tjagain

Streeting is either going to row back on his ‘there’s no money for pay rises’ message

done on the first day in power – changed to ” there is some room on pay and I will also look at conditions”

Viewing 40 posts - 8,161 through 8,200 (of 8,917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.