Home Forums Chat Forum UK Election!

Viewing 40 posts - 7,721 through 7,760 (of 8,917 total)
  • UK Election!
    blokeuptheroad

I voted in person and felt like being questioned by border control. Even before getting in . Do you have your id ?. Can I see your id ? Can you please confirm your address. Etc

No wonder people don’t bother

Totally dfferent to my experience. Staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful. Had a long chat about how they came to volunteer, how it worked etc. I was surprised that there were just two of them on from 0700 til 2200 without relief and without a break

I chanced my arm trying to use my veterans ID card, even though I was pretty sure it wasn’t on the ‘approved’ list. It wasn’t, they apologised and we agreed it was an oversight that needed fixing.  Had my DL too so no issue. Pleasant and hassle free, I’d much rather that than electronic voting.

slowoldman

I voted in person and felt like being questioned by border control. Even before getting in . Do you have your id ?. Can I see your id ? Can you please confirm your address?

Sound like standard questions to me. What’s the issue?

BruceWee

Sums everything up perfectly for me:

tjagain

I’d imagine that the most likely outcome will be a return to some form of coalition government at Holyrood,

The way the maths and tribalism work I expect a labour tory unionist coalition.  No other two parties who will work together get a majority.   It willbe the end of labour in Scotland.

binners

It’s a mistake, made by politicians as well as some on here, to dismiss the Gaza issue as ‘the Muslim vote’. Ceasefire protests have a diverse support and to fail to recognize that could be costly to supporters of the genocide as the election has shown

I can’t believe we’re even doing this again but here we are. Again. Pretty much every person with a shread of humanity in them knows what the Israelis are doing in Gaza is absolutely abhorrent

But while the US continues to arm them, despite them not giving a flying **** what the US or anyone else thinks about their genocidal behaviour is absolutely academic

To vote against Labour, who have zero influence on this situation and who are hardly saying ‘crack on’ is like me boycotting Sky telly because United haven’t won the league in years

‘The Left’ do love shooting themselves in both feet though as years of  St Jeremy proved. Seriously… Get a ****ing grip!

Its like throwing your shoes at the sky to protest against the rain, then realising you’re stood in a *****ing muddy puddle with no ****ing shoes

molgrips
    Free Member

It occurs to me that the Tories haven’t really been a capable successful party since Thatcher.  Major was weak of course then they were lost in the Blair years.  Cameron didn’t even win an overall majority and he led a coalition not a Tory govt.  He did well for a year then Brexit burned everything to the ground. Johnson was popular but not a competent strong government.  So in terms of election winning, yes, but not in terms of actually governing decently.

So that’s what, 15 years out of the last 35 that we’ve had objectively incompetent government whichever side you support.  That’s the real problem for the UK.

mattyfez

I feel it captures her prodigious intellect somehow.

She has some strong ‘bride of chucky’ vibes.

I wonder if the old adage that people drift to the right as they age will remain true for gen’s x

Well, I’m gen-x, and I’m certainly more liberal and slightly more left wing than I was 20 years ago.

ransos
    Free Member

I couldn’t give a flying **** about Magic Grandad

‘The Left’ do love shooting themselves in both feet though as years of  St Jeremy proved. Seriously… Get a ****ing grip!

For someone who doesn’t care, you do seem to enjoy talking about him.

Twodogs

Picking people with genuine experience in the areas and enabling them to contribute rather than positions for mates and those that will further your own political needs.

Attorney General who is a former barrister….madness ?

binners

For someone who doesn’t care, you do seem to enjoy talking about him

Believe me, I really don’t care, particularly not today, but I just regularly marvel at the rank stupidity of ‘The Left’ and how they/you can’t even see how your idealogical purity and virtue signalling to each other achieves absolutely nothing

But I guess achieving or changing things isn’t really the point

You seem at your happiest when you’ve more stuff to rail against on Twitter. Middle class, self-righteous, sanctimonious self-indulgence

Crack on with your placard waving

Luckily the Labour Party is back in the hands of the grown ups and look what happened? Who’d have thunk it?

BruceWee

Luckily the Labour Party is back in the hands of the grown ups and look what happened? Who’d have thunk it?

And what is going to happen now they’ve won a massive majority?

Maybe we could look at the manifesto for some clues…

BillMC

Interesting, Binners, that not long ago you wrote on here about nobody cares a damn about what’s happening in the Middle East. Then you wrote endless diatribes against Corbyn then you say you don’t give a shit about Corbyn. This Is all very enigmatic and I do think you might have benefitted from at least a litle 6th form education.

ransos
    Free Member

Believe me, I really don’t care

Absolutely. That’s why you keep banging on about him and recycling your small stock of hilarious pictures. The very definition of an empty vessel.

kimbers
    squirrelking
    Free Member

@binners it’s not about what they can and can’t influence. It’s about the message they send when they deselect committed members for things that aren’t even mildly controversial.

The problematic historic tweets included one that congratulated an old colleague who had decided to stand as a Green councillor. Another was liking a tweet that called for a boycott of Israeli goods, during the 2014 Gaza war.

A second “like” was for a tweet that included a sketch from the US comedy show The Daily Show.

You used to be quite vocal when they were doing similar when Corbyn was in charge but now the boots on the other foot it’s okay? Once again you seem to think everyone should abandon their principles and get behind your ideals.

The only person that split the vote was Starmer. He painted the party into a corner it didn’t need to be in and now has to deal with the consequences.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Pipe down with your relevant information @kimbers

Theres an important purile squabble happening here

Poopscoop

I see Labour are renewing negotiations with the junior doctors next week. ?

Imagine, actually talking to them to try and resolve this! Madness!

mattyfez

Rwanda scheme is no more!

Good! not only was it criminally imorral, it was a monumentaly huge waste of UK tax payers money.

Not a bad start for Kier.

Poopscoop

kimbers
    Rwanda scheme is no more!

https://x.com/Telegraph/status/1809313761301524729?t=1a-z9N1c07ajnZrurRNo6w&s=19

The time and money wasted on that!

Great news.

BillMC

Peurile (sp)

Poopscoop

So within hours Starmer is burying the whole “indecisive” trope. It feels like a whirlwind in government. You can almost feel a change in energy.

It’s seems that Labour have a plan. The irony!

Ridiculously early “days” but this is a good start. A very good start.

somafunk

The time and money wasted on that!

Send the bill for it to conservative central office, set up a repayment plan like they do for folk on benefits who’ve had a couple of extra £ paid to them by mistake.

mattyfez

In other news:

David Lammy, appointed foreign secretary, called for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza.

Lammy is a little bit questionable for me on some matters, and great in some other maters, but I don’t doubt his conviction to do a good job.

ransos
    Free Member

David Lammy, appointed foreign secretary, called for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza.

Binners told us upthread that Labour’s position on Gaza is academic. I’m pleased though, that Lammy has said this.

Poopscoop

So, Farage caught celebrating last night with the guy that had issues with the “degenerate” flag on the cop car. A guy that he’d “sacked”.

So…

How many days/weeks before Reform has it’s first proper scandal in government?

ernielynch

Luckily the Labour Party is back in the hands of the grown ups

So why do you behave like a child throwing a tantrum when you disagree someone else’s political opinions?

Have you ever tried to strongly disagree with someone in a calm and grownup manner instead of getting hysterical?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ridiculously early “days” but this is a good start. A very good start.

Credit where it’s due, it is.

Theres an important purile squabble happening here

Careful, with a name like that someone might go to trading standards.

bikesandboots

Good day but no time to relax or we may well have a far right government next time or the time after that.

I can’t see any solution other than doing something about immigration. Whether you agree it’s an issue or not, it’s rocket fuel to a large part of the electorate.

mattyfez

I can’t see any solution other than doing something about immigration. Whether you agree it’s an issue or not, it’s rocket fuel to a large part of the electorate.

For me It’s the simple mis-handling (or IMO, refusal to deal with) Immigration by the last government that was a far larger issue than immigration in, and of itself.

This is really refreshing, I actually feel better today than I did yeserday about the election… dare I say it, things might actually get done.

mattyfez

It will be interesting to see how our box-fresh new government grasp the nettle of the russian invasion of Ukraine…

…i’m guessing thats going to require a bit more thought than a day1 announcement, but from what I’ve seen so far, I have high hopes.

ernielynch

it’s rocket fuel to a large part of the electorate.

Partly because politicians keep telling them that it is a very very important issue.

In 2010 the really big issue was the deficit, everyone was saying that it was a really important issue which should be dealt with urgently.

Do you think that the average voter came to that conclusion by themselves or were helped to come to that conclusion by politicians?

It wasn’t a really urgent issue btw. It was just an excuse for austerity.

Immigration is fine. No UK government has an open door policy, and certainly not the Tories for the last 14 years. Don’t give Nigel Farage the tools to stir up shit.

That was the mistake the last Tory government made, and it cost them dearly.

theotherjonv

I’m interested that the usual suspects on X are frothing because the people being appointed to eg Prisons and Science ‘aren’t even MPs’

Do they ever stop to consider the merits of their complaints? In what sort of world is appointing people with relevant experience stupid?

You could deliver them a carrier bag full of money, and they’d complain it’s in the wrong denomination banknotes

bikesandboots

Partly because politicians keep telling them that it is a very very important issue.

They’re going to keep on doing that.

Immigration is fine.

I’m afraid that’s going to be a hard line to sell.

somafunk

This, I can get behind if something meaningful comes of it

Poopscoop

mattyfez
    Free Member
    It will be interesting to see how our box-fresh new government grasp the nettle of the russian invasion of Ukraine…

I honestly think that’s one of the easier issues for Starmer. Keep the aid/arms flowing, affirm support for NATO and keep the public support for ukraine** very public and frequent.

Gaza, NHS, social care, housing, poverty… that is the stuff if nightmares. I don’t envy Starmer.

** Side benefit? Ukraine is a thorn in the side for Farage. Doing the right thing, supporting Ukraine, skrews him over too. Win, win.

mattyfez

I honestly think that’s one of the easiest issues for Starmer. Keep the aid/arms flowing, affirm support for NATO and keep the public support for ukraine**… very public and frequent.

Gaza, NHS, social care, housing, poverty… that is the stuff if nightmares. I don’t envy Starmer.

** Side benefit? Ukraine is a thorn in the side for Farage. Doing the right thing, supporting Ukraine, skrews him over too. Win, win.

Agreed, it will be an interesting few months!

Poopscoop

Agreed, it will be an interesting few months!

Hopefully with a side order if boring on most days.lol Really, I just want competent boring politics to return. Oh, the culture war shit to end too. Im sick of that.

First thing I thought with the doctors being engaged with next week is that the Tories wouldn’t have done that. They’d have been on X calling them unreasonable or woke or some other balls. So sick of the culture war.

susepic

What I’d like to see fairly soon is the publication of the Russia Report…..that should shine some welcome light on Farage/Reform salary/funding.

Anyone know how the money for parties works when they are limited companies w shareholder….s

bikesandboots

No Short Money for parties with fewer than 5 MPs. That’s what I read earlier in the thread anyway, don’t know any more.

kimbers

That was me I was slightly wrong

Reform will get a few hundred k due to their vote share but because they have b less than 6mps it is capped

If course refuk being a plc 53% owned by farage all that money is his

Viewing 40 posts - 7,721 through 7,760 (of 8,917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.