Home Forums Chat Forum UK Election!

Viewing 40 posts - 7,641 through 7,680 (of 8,917 total)
  • UK Election!
  • winston
    Free Member

@dazh sorry! I did get confused – it’s been a long night…

Tom-B
    Free Member

Just seen that Douglas Ross lost, missed that one. Fantastic stuff. Losing to the SNP in 2024 is a hell of an achievement

kerley
    Free Member

Aside from changing planning laws doesnt necessarily shift the supply.

Then you force the supply.  You are the government with control over this stuff and the money to invest so you can do what you **** like.  The sort of aggressive change that Starmer doesn’t seem to be pushing…

kimbers

tbf the greens arguing against nuclear and high speed rail hasnt helped them

as for the Muslim vote, a few independents have done well, but the workers party & Galloway are pretty horrible, it was brilliant to see he got turfed out in Rochdale & Yakoob in Ladywood seemed like a complete scumbag, streeting almost lost too

meanwhile Jess Phillips handled some pretty grim intimidation very well

Im not sure how many Labour MPs that won last night were Muslim? some more noises about a ceasefire in palestine today, I wonder if one had already been reached would that have changed much

richmtb

Being trying to find the least Reform voting seat in the UK.

Lots of low vote shares across all of Edinburgh, and big parts of Glagsow and London.

Standouts seem to be:

Edinburgh North and Leith 3.7%

Islington North 3.5%

Bristol Central 3.1%

Hackney and Stoke Newington 3.1%

Non exhaustive as there were a few areas that didn’t have Reform standing due to electoral pacts, like Sheffield, but interesting to see the trend in where people rejected Reform

nerd
    Free Member

Im not sure how many Labour MPs that won last night were Muslim? some more noises about a ceasefire in palestine today, I wonder if one had already been reached would that have changed much

Can someone explain to me why there is so much political noise about Palestine, to the point that 4 MPs can be ousted because a party that wasn’t in power at the time didn’t call for a ceasefire, and we hear nothing about what the Saudis are doing in Yemen?

There are similarities, in that a much more powerful force is killing civilians with Western produced weapons, but Yemen is just ignored, whereas there are weekly marches for Palestine and, especially the young, have made it a political issue in the UK.

grimep
    Free Member

Just seen who’s in Stoma’s cabinet.

Is a military coup likely? Trying to keep my spirits up

kerley
    Free Member

2/10

soundninjauk

Yes it is truly awful that his cabinet is <checks notes> the least privately educated ever. The Eton -> Oxbridge pipeline has been the only thing standing between us and the grim darkness of everlasting chaos for hundreds of years!

pondo

Trying to keep my spirits up

Please don’t bother.

Coyote
    Free Member

Is a military coup likely? Trying to keep my spirits up

Hey Dan, I really hope you get some good news soon. Maybe GBeebies will have you back?

Despite what our resident Wish.com Wootten says I’ve seen worse cabinet appointees. Pretty much all of them in the last 14 years without exception.

theotherjonv

predictably childish trolling, changing someone’s name to make them seem ridiculous.

What you’d expect from grim penis, who is a terrible dick ;-)

scotroutes
    theotherjonv

Who are the two seats to declare?

If Sunlun can manage it in an hour and they’re barely numerate ;-) (I’m contractually obliged to say that as my family is from North of the Tyne) what are they doing? Are the primary school in charge of logistics as well as letting them use the school for a Polling station?

spawnofyorkshire

Both seats are going through recounts. Potential for a fifth reform seat from one in Essex

squirrelking
    Free Member

the ejection of a right wing rabble and only 4 seats for reform – show that the a majority of the UK electorate has had quite enough of that nonsense, thank you very much

I’m not sure the numbers agree with you. This is the hubris that delivered us brexit, they’re only just getting started.

convert

One is in the Highlands

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd16410q7neo

The other is near London – can’t recall the name – a possible multiple recount with Reform one of the possible winners.

piemonster
    Free Member

South Basildon & East Thurrock is the other one

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2024/uk/constituencies/E14001480

kimbers

Yes it is truly awful that his cabinet is <checks notes> the least privately educated ever. The Eton -> Oxbridge pipeline has been the only thing standing between us and the grim darkness of everlasting chaos for hundreds of years!

but who will grimep grovel & cap doff before now?

kerley
    Free Member

the ejection of a right wing rabble and only 4 seats for reform – show that the a majority of the UK electorate has had quite enough of that nonsense, thank you very much

mmmm, adding together the vote share gives a different story.  Tory 24% + Reform 14% is greater than Labour 36%.

I know, FPTP, but still a sizeable number of voters who haven’t had quite enough of that nonsense.

BillMC

I taught a member of the shadow cabinet for GCSE and two of her A levels and she got into Oxford. Guilty as charged! But at least she was from the working class.

mattyfez

I’m quite pleased with how it went, every other election I’ve voted in, I’ve been somewhat displeased, so that’s a plus.

Lib dems did really well so that’s also really encouraging.

Starmer really has his work cut out, given that he’s inherited a total train wreck, to put it politley… – that’s going to take time and painfull decisions to alter the course of the ship .So we will see how that goes, and how fast (or not) the public loses patience with huge tasks that simply will take a lot of time, more than one term without any question – the electorate are a problem here, as some people, a lot of people, simply have unrealistic expectations and will happlily lap up short termist ‘solutions’ that will never be delivered on.

But given that the current shape of Labour seem to actualy want to do a good job rather than simply lie, spread hatred and extract public cash for personal gain, sets them in good stead.

The conservatives in the last itteration were both truly evil and totally incompete.nt, which is probably the worst combination of traits for any political party.

I don’t like that Reform gained any seats, but I have a feeling (like some others have mentioned) that Farage and his ‘party’ will struggle now they actually have a job to do that can be scrutinised more publicly…. When he was MEP he kinda flew under the radar of the public eye, completley took the mick, litteraly doing no actual work but still claiming all the expenses and basically just being a gob-shyte at any given opportunity.

PR is interesting, as others have said, it will allow a few extremes seats form all aspects of the political spectrum, but once people start to understand how it really works there will be a shift in voting behaviour and we should see a much larger and better balance of center left and center right MPs.

zomg

Being trying to find the least Reform voting seat in the UK.

They didn’t bother standing a candidate here, if 0.0% counts for anything: https://democracy.cambridge.gov.uk/mgElectionAreaResults.aspx?ID=291&RPID=89625428

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

@grimep

There’s only one useless arsehole in this post.

intheborders
    Free Member

mmmm, adding together the vote share gives a different story.  Tory 24% + Reform 14% is greater than Labour 36%.

That’s 38% for the right and 62% against…

zomg

Pardon my stream of consciousness, but I think it’s going to be very hard to get the supporters of Reform UK and the Conservative Party to vote for the same candidates from here on. Johnson managed it in 2019, but he lied and overpromised to the electorate and then didn’t deliver. UKIP/Brexit Party/Reform UK pulled their candidates and backed him. I feel they enabled the shambles of the last five years almost as much as the Tories did. Whatever “Leveling Up” was supposed to be, it basically never happened, and struggling communities did worse if anything. The Brexit “deal” has been a disaster and the economic effects have left people worse off too. Where we are now: Nativists are turned off by neoliberal economic policies and want things tilted in their favour and graft; Thatcherites are turned off by protectionism, corruption, and rivers of ****. The right is pretty fundamentally split now in the UK, though there is a danger that an ignorant and desperate electorate and pandering media facilitate growth in nativism as a rejection of orthodox politics, if Labour doesn’t turn the ship around. I think Labour can turn the ship around though, and I hope they will.

Cougar

80% of eligible voters didn’t vote for Labour.

Democracy in name only.

That’s about the same percentage which didn’t vote for brexit.  Why do you hate democracy?

poly
    Free Member

Who are the two seats to declare?

If Sunlun can manage it in an hour and they’re barely numerate ? (I’m contractually obliged to say that as my family is from North of the Tyne) what are they doing? Are the primary school in charge of logistics as well as letting them use the school for a Polling station?

The Scottish one has an “arrithmetic problem” so did a recount but were not happy so sent everyone home at about 10am and the will try again tomorrow morning after some sleep.  I suspect it is a problem like “the sum of all the candidate votes does not equal the sum of the votes cast in the polling stations” an therefore the concern is there’s an uncounted box somewhere.

Libdems were hopeful they had won it early this AM.  Its an SNP incumbent.

kimbers

That’s 38% for the right and 62% against…

indeed, assuming that Ref+Con were to merge, look at whats happening in France to block LePenns majority!

mattyfez

Labour doesn’t turn the ship around. I think Labour can turn the ship around though, and I hope they will.

Can they? yes they can, can they do it or produce tangible results/tragectories before the electorate lose patience with them and boot them out after one term? that’s the real question here, I fear… especically with the right leaning UK press.

dissonance

Farage did just almost single-handedly change the political course of the UK

With a bit of help from the right wing rags and a decent portion of the tories and a smaller portion of labour voters.

ernielynch

mmmm, adding together the vote share gives a different story. Tory 24% + Reform 14% is greater than Labour 36%.

Yeah but it doesn’t work like that. Apparently 30% of RUK voters would vote Labour if there wasn’t a RUK candidate. Some would vote Tory, some for other parties, and some wouldn’t bother voting at all.

By definition Tory voters and RUK voters are not the same so you can’t just lump them together and treat them as if they are. Although obviously the Tories are the main beneficiaries if RUK don’t stand.

Cougar

I just checked back, one of the unresolved seats is Reform, so 5 now.

Which one it is, I don’t know.

dissonance

edit. Wrong one of the two basildons.

South Basildon and East Thurrock

nickjb
    Free Member

Yes. I think they’d already called it for reform but it was close so Labour asked for a recount. Not really a suprise it did eventually go to reform. There isn’t much practical difference between 4 and 5 seats other than increased chances of a scandal

piemonster
    Free Member

Edited after someone edited

ernielynch

I’m quite pleased with how it went, every other election I’ve voted in, I’ve been somewhat displeased, so that’s a plus.

You have made me realise that this is the first general election in my lifetime which I am satisfied with the result.

On the eve of the 1997 general election I was so overcome with gloom at the thought of Tony Blair becoming prime minister that I went out and canvassed for the Liberal Democrats helping them to win a seat from the Tories

A particularly satisfying experience as the Tory MP was the exceptionally obnoxious Dame Olga Maitland.

This general election is the first one in which I am actually satisfied with the result. Ideally I would have preferred a Tory wipeout but there are so many positive aspects of the result that I am happy to let that go.

What I find particularly encouraging is the  progressive representation of the new parliament. If the Greens and independents form an even loose coalition they will be, with the SNP, the joint 4th largest grouping.

Plus it looks feasible that the Liberal Democrats are returning to their more radical roots after the disaster that was Nick Clegg.

Together the more progressive elements in the new parliament could put pressure on a timid Labour government to pursue a more radical agenda.

The fact that Labour’s huge majority was built on rather shaky grounds with a surprisingly low vote makes them more vulnerable. It would be nice, and very useful, if they felt vulnerable from not just the Tories but also the left.

And of course it is hugely beneficial if Reform UK do not monopolise the “protest vote” niche. Voters need to be offered something more than Nigel Farage as an alternative.

I’m feeling positive!

jam-bo

80% of eligible voters didn’t vote for Labour.

Democracy in name only.

Leave means Leave

Labour means Labour…

mattyfez

I just watched a short of when Ress-Mog lost his seat… I’m sure it’s been said before but how can a man as incredibly rich as he is, wear a suit so badly? He should realy find a new taylor, as I’m guessing he doesn’t buy them ‘off the peg’ from primark…

robertajobb

There’s a different way of solving the housing shortage.

1. Stop people owning 3 or 4 or 5 or 10 homes.  There’s so much property tied up in rentals and holiday homes.  Force sales of them…that will reduce the price.  Keep enough for those who *want* or short term *need* to rent. But enable people to buy rather than having to rent for a fortune and never see any benefit of their spent money.

2. Redevelop waste and empty property 1st before building new.  I’m in Mid Derbyshire- finally a Labour seat after all this time.  The mill in Belper has sat mainly rotting and unused (except for a  small gym and a few bits used for storage) for decades. Force that to be redeveloped into accommodation before building on green belt (they are building on green belt after the corrupt Tories got paid off Centrally  to overrule local planning and UNESCO world heritage site buffer zone  rules.  Meanwhile the mill continues to rot)

Viewing 40 posts - 7,641 through 7,680 (of 8,917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.