• This topic has 1,834 replies, 287 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,835 total)
  • Thoughts with the Queen and her family.
  • sandboy

That’s just ludicrous

What I meant was that it suddenly went quiet, no noise and very few cars about 20 minutes before I got home. The timescale fitted with the announcement.

j4mie
    Free Member

Old lady who lived a long life of immense wealth has died.

I have no emotion at all, and refuse to be talked down to as though I should.

theotherjonv

I think technically they both are. LB covers events up to and including the funeral, Unicorn is the variation for the Queen’s return to London, but they merge after about 5 days when her body will then be moved to lie in state at Westminster Hall.

richardkennerley

Elizabethan era ends…… Are we now Charlesian?

funkmasterp

That’s just ludicrous
    What I meant was that it suddenly went quiet, no noise and very few cars about 20 minutes before I got home. The timescale fitted with the announcement.

That makes more sense. I read your original post as something a TV psychic would say 😂

chewkw
    Free Member

RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Long live King Charles III

A sad day

theotherjonv

She’s part of our identity, whether we like it or not.

No she’s not. Might be part of yours, but that is an odd statement to make.

No, she is / was. I respect your right to be monarchist or republican, but you can’t escape like it or not that we live in a monarchy. Her face is on our money, our stamps, our postboxes, our railway lines, our warships, etc. She is part of our national identity, even if not yours as an individual.

pandhandj
    Free Member

Poah and J4mie – thank you. Much better than I could have said it.

Sandwich

At least she saw the buffoon out the door before she went

Working to the end, but Johnson and Truss as your last duties! You’ve earned your peace Queen Elizabeth.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Kryton57

it suddenly went quiet, no noise and very few cars a

Same here, you never realise there’s a background hum until suddenly it stops, it was eerie, and my first reaction was to to the TV on and check the news.

funkmasterp

No, she is / was.

I don’t have a national identity. Sorry to piss on your chips there. She’s an old lady who died. Nothing more, nothing less to me in any way, shape or form. Not used money, stamps, post boxes or err warships in years and I don’t and didn’t care who’s face was on them. This place is funny at times.

Old lady who lived a long life of immense wealth has died.

I have no emotion at all, and refuse to be talked down to as though I should.

No she is part of your national identity like high tea, queueing for things and tutting. You have to have a national identity see because a stranger on the Internet decided this for you a couple of posts ago. Cheeks agreed with them which is, quite frankly, a point in my favour!

chewkw
    Free Member

No, she is / was. I respect your right to be monarchist or republican, but you can’t escape like it or not that we live in a monarchy. Her face is on our money, our stamps, our postboxes, our railway lines, our warships, etc. She is part of our national identity, even if not yours as an individual.

Hear, hear.

Nothing more, nothing less to me in any way, shape or form.

Be at peace with yourself because all of us are insignificant.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I would say I am a little ‘thoughtful’, mainly because all things must past, and death is inevitable. Off riding bikepark tomorrow!

seosamh77
    Free Member

funkmasterp
    No, she is / was.

I don’t have a national identity. Sorry to piss on your chips there. She’s an old lady who died. Nothing more, nothing less to me in any way, shape or form. Not used money, stamps, post boxes or err warships in years and I don’t and didn’t care who’s face was on them. This place is funny at times.

I feel ye, but you’re going to have a horrid next 10 days if you let it get to ye, probably best start a new thread if you need to comment, rather than cause a rammy in here. 😆 I prefer the no comment approach myself, but each to their own.

funkmasterp

Chewkw agreed with the other guy so I’m clearly winning at the internets! Right I’m off to read Wind in the Willows and look down on foreigners because I is British and it’s part of my identity just like Warships and stuff

colournoise

As much as I’m not a Royalist in any way and the news has had little personal impact on me, all the TV channels should just be showing this on a loop. Says more about the woman her family has lost than any po-faced, deferential, maudlin rolling news.

theotherjonv

Chewkw agreed with the other guy so I’m clearly winning at the internets!

something about a stopped clock?

No she is part of your national identity like high tea, queueing for things and tutting. You have to have a national identity see because a stranger on the Internet decided this for you a couple of posts ago.

Absolutely not – if you don’t feel you have a national identity that’s fine, I said I respect and agree that you can choose not to subscribe to that and we have identities as individuals as well. She is / was part of the national identity, I didn’t say you have to have that identity.

funkmasterp

Not really because directly after stating the Queens significance he stated everybody is insignificant so meh!

Scapegoat

Caroline Era, or possibly Carolean.

chewkw
    Free Member

Chewkw agreed with the other guy so I’m clearly winning at the internets!

No sure who I was agreeing with but she is part of our identity even for commonwealth nations.

As for winning at the internet perhaps but I am 100% sure you can win against death.

something about a stopped clock?

It is about a good death. In our culture this is something that we considered an honour in life.

joshvegas
    Free Member

In a winter that more than usual number of 96 year olds will die due to effects of the cost of living…

Perhaps the dark ages?

Daffy

She was an amazing monarch through changing and challenging times and led with distinction and a deft hand. If our political leaders could do even half the job she did we’d be bloody lucky. RIP and Godspeed your Majesty.

Dieu et mob droit.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

FFS nothing on TV. Every single main channel I was looking forward to Saving Lives at Sea

My brother heard about it just before 3pm as the BBC stopped him going on a conference next week

I do wonder if she purposely decided to snuff it in Scotland as she was concerned about Scotland splitting off. I think her sniffing it in Scotland will help the union

Have they given the extra Bank Holiday date yet ? That will be breaking news

molgrips
    Free Member

If London Bridge is right, then the funeral is on D+9 which would be Saturday 17th. So expect eg: sports to be cancelled.

Hmm, I wonder if that applies to everything. I have a race that day.

We weren’t Elizabethan. During Edward VII we gradually migrated to the decade naming scheme.

devash
    Free Member

I would say I am a little ‘thoughtful’, mainly because all things must past, and death is inevitable.

Pretty much echoing this sentiment here.

I’m indifferent to the monarchy (neither for nor against) but definitely feeling in a poignant mood tonight.

When I was a wee boy, before I understood the concept of death, I used to be obsessed with the fact that my grandparents would each receive a telegram from the queen on their 100th birthday.

My grandfather died in 2008 (aged 87) and my grandmother last year (funnily enough, also aged 96). Quite a sad feeling that neither got their telegram. That’s how I’ll remember the queen.

copa
    Free Member

Loving all the: ‘I’m a republican but…[insert fawning praise for monarchy]’

frankconway

I think the funeral is on Monday 19th.
    I’m self-employed so don’t get paid if my client deems any day to be a non-working day
    I resented the enforced extended platinum jubilee celebrations as it cost me.
    If I lose a day this time, I accept it without any resentment.
    For clarity, I’m not a monarchist.

tuboflard

If London Bridge is right, then the funeral is on D+9 which would be Saturday 17th. So expect eg: sports to be cancelled.

I’m expecting it to be Monday 19 September. D+10 would make it Sunday but don’t think it can be on a Sunday so will move to the following day. 10 days of national mourning now.

jamiea
    Free Member

Listening to the BBC radio output and they noted that the new PM was the first in over 70 years that has spoken in that role to both our Queen and our King. She’ll dine out on that for the rest of her life no doubt.

ElShalimo

10 days of national moaning now……FTFY

ahsat

My brother reads the BBC news and indicated we are looking at 10 days now.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Have they mentioned how she died yet? Morbid I suppose. How do people that old die? Do things just pack up?

neilthewheel

^ “mobility issues”, apparently.
    I wonder how long it will take for the Patriots to realise we now have a “woke” for King.

ernielynch

I was surprised by the BBC segment which referred to the Queen’s, quote, “sometimes strained” relationship with Margaret Thatcher. She was known to dislike Thatcher as she apparently felt that mass unemployment and Thatcher’s divisive policies were bad for her kingdom, but I am more than a little surprised that the BBC was prepared to acknowledge that.

They also claimed that the Queen was “out of touch” with public opinion after Diana’s death, that also surprised me – I didn’t expect any negative comments at all from the BBC on the day of the Queen’s death, only unrelenting praise.

theotherjonv

I’m expecting it to be Monday 19 September. D+10 would make it Sunday

Why D+10? What I’ve read says D+9 which makes it Saturday which is a day that actually works quite well for disruption, etc., of the working week.

It’s actually quite important to us because my daughter’s off to Uni and we have a largish family get together planned for that weekend, ideally Sat 17th (because my Mum’s on dialysis and fitting around that and the funeral is now looking a squeeze)

ElShalimo

The Queen’s reaction to Diana’s death was her protecting the firm

poah
    Free Member

Any holiday will cost me £165 a day so not looking forward to that.

Twodogs

It’s actually quite important to us because my daughter’s off to Uni and we have a largish family get together planned for that weekend, ideally Sat 17th (because my Mum’s on dialysis and fitting around that and the funeral is now looking a squeeze)

I don’t understand..are you expecting to attend the funeral? If not, just carry on as you were.

theotherjonv

If restaurants are all closed then we can’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,835 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts with the Queen and her family.’ is closed to new replies.