Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,835 total)
  • Thoughts with the Queen and her family.
  • 5lab

is charles actually king yet? I know he’s not been corinated or whatever, but is his role right now king? king-in-wait? something else?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

This song is sort of appropriate.. Sad day

theotherjonv

It passes seamlessly in an instant. The ceremonial stuff is just that, ceremony.

tuboflard

is charles actually king yet? I know he’s not been corinated or whatever, but is his role right now king? king-in-wait? something else?

King Charles III already.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Long live the Republic.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I think Ernie has absolutely nailed my thoughts above

I’m sad, but not because a 96 year old woman had died. We should be celebrating her life, a grand old age and appeared in relatively good health until the very end. I’m not envious of the job she did, and she did it very well no doubt

Rip

fingerbike
    Free Member

The Queen is dead, long live the King!

diz

Tpbiker says it all in my opinion. A sad day. RIP

beej

“The only thing known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle. He reasoned like this: you can’t have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously.”

poah
    Free Member

I don’t get people that feel sad because someone they don’t know died. People are dying all over the world due to starvation, poverty, war and corrupt governments. Its just a shame we can’t get rid of the royal family altogether. All the news is going to be for the next god knows how long is this rather than the actual problems this country has.

scotroutes

King Charles III already.

Has he decide to keep that name?

poah – I agree, but they have a habit of breeding faster than they die out.

reluctantjumper

I know from my old job that the Royal Mint always has a complete set of new pressings for new coins with the next in line to the throne on standby. Everything else will be planned to the same level too, it’s all in motion now.

daviek

Terry Pratchett wrote in one of his books that the only thing faster than the speed of light was the speed of monarchy

*edit* too slow!

binners

Boris has, somewhat predictably, just issued a ‘lengthy’ statement

He clearly feels very cheated he never got to do the honours outside number 10

Jesus! Even by his standards that was laying it on a bit thick

funkmasterp

Very strange but I could sense something was not right, it was if the world went quiet.

Sorry, but what? That’s just ludicrous. An old lady died after living a long and healthy life and her family will be in mourning. Happens every minute of every day all around the world.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Because, Poah, many people don’t feel the same way. Now is not the time or the place to get unpleasant.who ever it may be.

Northwind

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m sad, but not because a 96 year old woman had died. We should be celebrating her life, a grand old age and appeared in relatively good health until the very end. I’m not envious of the job she did, and she did it very well no doubt

Yep, that’s exactly how I feel too. I’m very much anti-royalist but I can’t imagine anyone else doing a better job, let alone doing it for 70 years until damn nearly 100 years old. Can’t really think of a better example of privilege balanced with duty. I mean, I’d have liked a palace but I wouldn’t have liked to be king. And tbh, it seems like she was in pretty good form right til near the end, and got to pass with relatives etc in a place she loved, that’s the way to do it.

It makes me think of my grandad meeting King George, in 47, and he was already on the way out then- my mum and dad were both old enough to have lived under his reign but not to remember it, so she was all they knew too. It feels a bit like having a pillar removed, one of those things that’s been there so long that it’s kind of shocking that it’s not always there.

Against the institution but not the person, basically. So King Charles hey.

dirkpitt74

@poah it’s probably more to do with the fact that regardless of knowing/not knowing her she has been a constant, figure head of the state.

TrailriderJim

It’s hardly respectful but listening to The Smiths’ Queen Is Dead album. Seems to suit the mood.

the-muffin-man

it’s all in motion now.

…and Spaniel breeders will be waking their dogs up to get jiggy. There’ll be a spike in sales!

slowoldman

Its just a shame we can’t get rid of the royal family altogether.

There would be more value in ridding ourselves of a far bigger scourge. One which has been asset stripping the country for over a decade.

jon1973
    Free Member

So, do we get another bank holiday?

fooman
    Free Member

Just for posterity I went through all the terrestrial TV channels;

BBC1/2 ITV C4 C5 wall to wall coverage – interrupting Hollyoaks! For a moment Liz Truss was on all five.

BBC4 has been suspended.

E4/Film4 has the message ‘There has been an important announcement, please turn to Channel 4’ as if everyone doesn’t dual screen these days.

Even Dave has ‘Buckingham Palace has made an important announcement. Full details are available on the BBC News channel’

However, ITV2 still has Celebrity Catchphrase.

Wife is upstairs in meetings updating council websites, she had a stressful afternoon making sure protocol was in place – I thought it premature but apparently there were people with more insight up the chain. Pretty much every council website now has an announcement, and the Palace website is down while it’s been updated.

FWIW I thought at her age the position was of Queen was more of a burden than a privilege, but she wore it well.

TiRed

Well my spaniel will be off to pay his regards with a walk down the Long Walk. She was a neighbour after all.

the-muffin-man

@poah Have you never mourned the death of a musician, sports star or other icon in your life. You don’t have to know someone personally to feel loss. And for many they do feel they know the Queen. I’ve only seen her once in 1976 at a Silver Jubilee event. As an 8 year old child it left it’s mark.

the-muffin-man

So, do we get another bank holiday?

Probably one for funeral and one for Coronation.

scratch
    Free Member

Really sad, not a big fan of the monarchy but she really held the position with a great deal of class, RIP.

anagallis_arvensis

“Because, Poah, many people don’t feel the same way. Now is not the time or the place to get unpleasant.who ever it may be.”

Then allow people to express an opinion Poah said nothing unpleasant

joshvegas
    Free Member

Have you never mourned the death of a musician, sports star or other icon in your life.

I haven’t? Why would I mourn a stranger? And they atleast worked hard to get where they got to!

theotherjonv

from what I read in the Guardian article about ‘London Bridge’ – no, there is no public holiday provision. There will be a state funeral and many shops and businesses may choose to close or go to reduced hours, and events cancelled accordingly.

If London Bridge is right, then the funeral is on D+9 which would be Saturday 17th. So expect eg: sports to be cancelled.

butcher

I suspect some of the sadness felt is from the loss of a cohesive and stabilising figurehead. She’s part of our identity, whether we like it or not. For the most part she’s been a positive role model with strong values. This seems particularly pertinent in current times when it feels so much like the world is falling apart.

Cougar

I don’t get people that feel sad because someone they don’t know died.

Empathy?

theotherjonv

I agree with up there – it might not feel exactly like my Nan has died, but it feels like a friend’s Nan has died and whether I knew her or not I’m still sad.

On the point

sirromj

RIP

However, ITV2 still has Celebrity Catchphrase.

😀

trap6

@Butcher,well said sir
    Rip Grand Lady

ads678
    Free Member

I liked her.

RIP Ma’am.

joat

For those who say we should vote for a head of state, look what was elected the last time we did.

bruneep

London Bridge

Operation Unicorn is in place

Houns

How I’ll remember her

funkmasterp

She’s part of our identity, whether we like it or not.

No she’s not. Might be part of yours, but that is an odd statement to make.

It’s sad that a family have lost their mum, Gran etc but there are some truly bizarre comments in this thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,835 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts with the Queen and her family.’ is closed to new replies.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.