• This topic has 1,834 replies, 287 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,835 total)
  • Thoughts with the Queen and her family.
  • the-muffin-man

As i understand it – when the death of a monarch is announced – all work places close and everyone is sent home.

I’d best fill the car up on the way home then – we’re going away for the weekend!

slackboy

Did Boris try and get one more game of Sevens in before he left office?

darthpunk
    Free Member

Just put Radio Scotland on and I’ve heard Elbow and now Keane. Must be bad.

Christ, what did she ever do to Radio Scotland?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yes.

Ditto, I’m a Republican at heart but in terms of how she’s performed the role in the past 7(!) decades, she’s hardly put a foot wrong and I have to respect that.

See I have an issue. The institution that she has been at the helm of for how ever long has protected Andrew and for that reason alone I have an issue with her that I cannot reconcile.

I don’t really care if she lives or dies beyond any other 96yearold I’ve never met.

dazh

all work places close and everyone is sent home.

What? That’s f***** ridiculous. Even supermarkets and pubs?

johnjn2000

@dazh, you are going to have to join me dry for the weekend 🙂

mogrim

I don’t wish her dead, but I can’t help but think that Britain would be better off without her.

dissonance

What? That’s f***** ridiculous. Even supermarkets and pubs?

I remember when Diana died most of the pubs closed for the day. I was working in one of the few that didnt.

slowoldman

Do you mean without her mogrim or without the institution?

beej

all work places close and everyone is sent home.

Well that’s everyone in hospital buggered then. Oh, and better get your candles out too.

I’m not a massive monarchist but hope it’s a comfortable, peaceful end when it comes. I did once meet the Queen – at the age of 6 I handed her a spade to plant a tree at our school.

Caher

Reminds me of the last few days with my mother. Seems to suddenly speed up near the end. Near same age and oddly lookalike.
    Very traumatic.

intheborders
    Free Member

Im on the fence about the royal family, but they bring money in to the country.

You’ll be gobsmacked when you hear about Versailles…

joefm

shame for her family but 96… Good innings if it is that.
    Going to be a silly amount of news coverage no doubt.

Not sure I really care.

pondo

Camilla Tominy on BBC News, so I’ve turned thst off – Wychall’s in depressingly sombre mood.

joshvegas
    Free Member

You’ll be gobsmacked when you hear about Versailles…

Right? The top ten tourist attractions in the UK are unrelated to the royal family, with the potential use of royal in the name.

Mounty_73

Not a massive fan of the royal family, but I wish her all the best, she has been a credit to this country and humanity IMO.

At the end of the day, regardless of title, she is someone’s mother and grandmother etc

dudeofdoom

apparently BBCs cleared their schedule 🙁

Houns

New BSL interpreter on BBC news also wearing black

mrchrispy

I really struggle to get upset about of really old people moving on, sure it’s sad for the family and loved ones but its the natural way of things.

Wouldnt want to wish it on the old dear but if its time its time.

mogrim

Do you mean without her mogrim or without the institution?

Both. The Queen has a very carefully managed image, which makes the monarchy untouchable. All her flaws (and there are loads) are carefully ignored, she’s portrayed as the nation’s loveable grandmother, a steady hand, etc, etc. I’m hoping with her death Britain can finally move on from “We won the war” and British exceptionalism, and start to take a more considered and accurate view of its place in the world.

darthpunk
    Free Member

Wychall’s in depressingly sombre mood.

That ghoul has waited his whole life for this

joefm

he’s **** weird

dudeofdoom

she made Boris and Liz get in a plane

they took separate private jets. Ridiculous.

TBH could the country survive another tory pm selection thing if it fell out the sky with them both in it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

As i understand it – yes, all workplaces are to close when the death of a monarch is anounced

Not all, mine certainly won’t.

I really struggle to get upset about of really old people moving on, sure it’s sad for the family and loved ones but its the natural way of things.

Wouldnt want to wish it on the old dear but if its time its time.

This. 96 is a good age by any standard.

Glad, once again, we don’t have TV though.

PrinceJohn

More republican than Royalist, but think it’ll be shame when the Queen goes, she’s been an ever present in my life, most people in the country today won’t remember a different person on the throne. My Dad was 5 when she took the throne. He’s 74 now.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

End of an ir I guess

jimmy

Similarly, I don’t understand those (Starmer) calling for her to make a full recovery. To what? Fulll mobility, clean bill of health? She’s on death’s door in her late nineties… Wish her a good rest.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Like many others I’m not a fan of the monarchy and I wouldn’t wish anybody unwell no matter what their situation, however, I’m abivalent as I dont’ actually know her as a human.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Not all, mine certainly won’t.

me neither, I’ll be working at the funeral

jambourgie
    Free Member

🤣

nuke

Always thought the Queen as a good egg but i can see why folk are pro or anti the monarchy although can’t see the value of getting into all that on this thread.

Plenty of famous people in the world from musicians to authors I’ve never met but, if I’ve some connection through listening to their music or reading their books, i’d still be sad if they died and i think for a lot of people it will be like that for the Queen having been present in people’s lives for so long as the head of state

dudeofdoom

He must have a black suit and tie on standby.

footflaps

I assume STW Towers will have an extensive protocol in place to handle her passing, whenever that occurs. I’m expecting threads left hanging half way down the page and replies not working properly for several days as a mark of respect….

Hannah is probably dyeing her hair black as I type this.

masterdabber
    Free Member

More republican than Royalist, but think it’ll be shame when the Queen goes, she’s been an ever present in my life, most people in the country today won’t remember a different person on the throne. My Dad was 5 when she took the throne. He’s 74 now.

I’m a bit like your dad… now 75 and about 6 years old when she was crowned. I do actually remember mum, dad and me joining other neighbours crowding into another neighbour’s house to watch the coronation on their dinky sized screen B&W TV (the only house that had a TV). It’s funny the things you remember.

As many others here, not a monarchist but have a respect for the queen. I won’t be sad at her demise as I don’t think it’s appropriate, but I wish her a peaceful end.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TBH could the country survive another tory pm selection thing if it fell out the sky with them both in it.

I pondered that, as most workplaces have a limit on the number of employees on a single plane or in a car etc. But it didn’t make sense, if Boris’ plane had crashed other than the tragedy in itself nothing changed, so the risk was all on Liz and that’s not changed whether Boris shared a plane or not.

Sandwich

not sure we’re all ready for King Charles at this stage.

He’s looking at the (small sample size) precedent of odd number Charles not seeing out the job. If so it was a very long game by the current monarch!

EDIT

I assume STW Towers will have an extensive protocol in place to handle her passing, whenever that occurs. I’m expecting threads left hanging half way down the page and replies not working properly for several days as a mark of respect….

They’re rolling the forum back to 2004?

thols2

Always thought the Queen as a good egg but i can see why folk are pro or anti the monarchy although can’t see the value of getting into all that on this thread.

You can be anti-monarchy but still have some respect for her as a person, certainly easier to respect than Edward VII or Prince Andrew.

footflaps

not sure we’re all ready for King Charles at this stage.

Ideal time to call time on the whole thing and just get rid of the lot of them!

Houns

Just tuned in again after popping out. Think she’s unfortunately died and they’re just waiting rest of family to get there. I’d suggest an announcement at 5pm or 6pm.

Again I hope I’m wrong

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,835 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts with the Queen and her family.’ is closed to new replies.