• This topic has 1,834 replies, 287 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,835 total)
  • Thoughts with the Queen and her family.
  • poah
    Free Member

Have you never mourned the death of a musician, sports star or other icon in your life.

God no.

midlifecrashes

I nipped down to Aldi this evening for bread, milk and a rummage along the middle aisle. I went down Queens Road to get there, and came back up Kings Road. We’ve all been on that journey tonight, have we not?

corroded
    Free Member

Do we not get to at least have a debate about an all-new national anthem rather than current dirge? Now’s as good a time as any.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I’m not a monarchist, but nonetheless find it outrageous some of the things people are coming out with on twitter…

poah
    Free Member

Don’t see why flower of Scotland would change

Dickyboy

Do we not get to at least have a debate about an all-new national anthem rather than current dirge? Now’s as good a time as any.

Think you’ll find it’s just a case of king queen

ernielynch

Have you never mourned the death of a musician, sports star or other icon in your life.

God no.

“God no” makes it sound as if mourning the death of a high profile person who you like and admire is incomprehensible to you. Do you generally feel little if any emotions? I can get emotional just watching the news. Although I’m quite comfortable with being like that.

Edit: For the record I was quite emotional when David Bowie died, he represented an important icon in my youth. I just happened to be working in Brixton at the time so I popped round to the impromptu shrine in front of his mural. I found it quite deeply emotional, especially seeing all the other people who were clearly upset.

chrismac

I don’t understand the mourning being the family. Do people mourn other 96 year olds they have never met or spent any time with? I really don’t get why some people want to stand outside Buck house in the rain. Each to their own I guess

jamiea
    Free Member

It’s quite humbling hearing of all the nations that are lowering flags at half-mast et cetera.

For all that’s gone on over the last 6 years, and before, we’re still, under our late Queen at least, a nation that the rest of the world takes notice off.

I’m not sure we deserve such reverence.

ElShalimo

Why would restaurants be closed?

jambourgie
    Free Member

I don’t understand the mourning being the family. Do people mourn other 96 year olds they have never met or spent any time with? I really don’t get why some people want to stand outside Buck house in the rain. Each to their own I guess

My theory: People enjoy the occasion – getting together and having a good blub. Similarly, you generally seem to see the same people protesting about stuff.  The cause is secondary to the scene.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

As with several posters above I’m not a monarchist, but….3 additional bank Holidays though…… you gotta respect that. 🙂

BoardinBob

God no

Weird turn of phrase for someone who’s so vocal about their anti religion stance

BillMC

Have they mentioned how she died yet?

Loss of breath

jamiea
    Free Member

It’ll be interesting how Scotland’s view of the monarchy develops. The Queen did great work in keeping Scots on board, but I wonder if having the past Prince of Wales as King will speed up the annexation of Scotland and the breakup of our nation…

funkmasterp

National mourning guidance is expected to be published by the government shortly.

That’s from an actual news source. It’s like reading a script from Brass Eye

Twodogs

but I wonder if having the past Prince of Wales as King

You know he isn’t actually Welsh, yes?

halifaxpete

Strange one for me, Surprisingly sad TBH she seemed like a good egg to me, despite being not too fussed for the Monarchy. RIP Liz.

Think Spotify will be getting a hammering at work tomorrow though, It’ll be wall to wall Adele on the radio.

PS, Bit weird outside Buckingham Palace on the news right now, not sure why you’d what to stand around in the pissing rain at this hour?! Especially the one waving to the cameras/taking selfies ect..odd.

tjagain

For all that’s gone on over the last 6 years, and before, we’re still, under our late Queen at least, a nation that the rest of the world takes notice off.

No one takes any notice of this small irtelevant country other than to laugh or pity us

As for mourning people i dont know? Of course not. Its just irrelevant to me. I have no emotion about her death bar a bit of irritation at rhe sycophatic drivel and mass hysteria

ransos
    Free Member

Do people mourn other 96 year olds they have never met or spent any time with?

People are often sad at the passing of someone they admired or respected. I don’t think this stops being the case because they were old.

jambourgie
    Free Member

No one takes any notice of this small irrelevant country other than to laugh or pity us

Well what do you expect when your contribution to world cuisine is the deep-fried Mars Bar?

ernielynch

I have no emotion about her death bar a bit of irritation at rhe sycophatic drivel and mass hysteria

Surely you would be less irritated if you didn’t click on threads like this one?

copa
    Free Member

People are often sad at the passing of someone they admired or respected. I don’t think this stops being the case because they were old.

People are generally admired/respected for things they’ve done. Not just for being an aristocrat.

ernielynch

Well what do you expect when your contribution to world cuisine is the deep-fried Mars Bar?

LOL!

ransos
    Free Member

People are generally admired/respected for things they’ve done. Not just for being an aristocrat.

In shocking news, other people may feel differently.

jamiea
    Free Member

I’m far from a flag waving, cap doffing arch royalist but I’d admit to feeling more a sense of mourning at the Queen’s passing than that of my grandmother recently at the same age.

I think I need some therapy, that’s not quite right, is it?

molgrips
    Free Member

No one takes any notice of this small irtelevant country other than to laugh or pity us

I’m the last person to indulge in flag waving jingoism but that’s not even remotely true.

ransos
    Free Member

Anyway. It’s good that people who don’t care have taken the time to tell us that they don’t care.

chewkw
    Free Member

Do people mourn other 96 year olds they have never met or spent any time with?

I think most people know her indirectly/directly as the Queen so a sense of loss is normal especially when she was seen as the stability of all the world events surrounding them.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Well, this thread’s improved since the cans were opened. Cheers lads!

When Nelson Mandela died I was all like “WTF already get over it already like dude” too

Well, this thread’s improved since the cans were opened. Cheers lads!

When Nelson Mandela died I was all like “WTF already get over it already like dude” too

It gets better when they’re off their meds as well.

montgomery
    Free Member

I am not even remotely a monarchist (or a republican) but am surprised at how I’ve been feeling this evening. I worked like a dog through Covid despite feeling at the time (and still do) it was a load of hysterical bollox. The one time I wobbled was watching her first televised speech in the early days of the pandemic – we will meet again, the nods to duty and sacrifice from earlier generations, it just set me off. I blubbed like a five year old, and get emotional thinking about it even now. Good speech, whoever wrote it.

I met Charles once in my stravaiging days, just him and me on the Jock’s Road (plus the sniper watching us from a hilltop). Chatted for 15 minutes like you’d do with anyone you met in the hills, then went our separate ways (he was off to do a bit of painting). Seemed okay to me.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I was sad when Barry White died.

tjagain

Molgrips. Thats precisely the reaction i have seen repeatedly. No one gives too hoots about the uk

ransos
    Free Member

I’ll be sad when Joe Cocker dies.

skooby39
    Free Member

Molgrips. Thats precisely the reaction i have seen repeatedly. No one gives too hoots about the uk

Flags at half mast at the White House, and even Vladimir Putin, chief antagonist in a proxy war the West is fighting against him, appears to have left a respectful tribute.

You need to read the room if nothing else…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ll be sad when Joe Cocker dies.

Me too, but mainly because I’m worried what we’d replace him with. He’s such a staple of STW.

funkmasterp

Ten pages in and nobody has blamed Brexit.

stumpyjon

No one gives too hoots about the uk

Well quite a lot if people in the UK do, including a majority in Scotland according to the last referendum. Despite our politicians best efforts we do still have some respect across the world evidenced by the number of world leaders paying tributes.

You need to read the room if nothing else…

Doesn’t apply to STW royalty, You must be new here.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,835 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts with the Queen and her family.’ is closed to new replies.