• This topic has 1,834 replies, 287 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,835 total)
  • Thoughts with the Queen and her family.
  • CheesybeanZ

If she lives to a hundred who sends her a telegram?

Joe Cocker .

onehundredthidiot

In a human level I wish the best for her no matter which way it goes.
    Classic FM still cheery music.
    If I were Charlie I’d say skip me and enjoy later life

Cougar

Is that the one with the nekkid lady in it ?

Why do you think I have it on DVD? 😁

csb

She’s had a good innings and enjoyed incredible privilege. Not much to be sad about there!

Sorry for her family’s loss as with any bereavement.

the-muffin-man

+1 OP.

Please pull through Queenie – not sure we’re all ready for King Charles at this stage.

Even the notion of a King feels odd.

Cougar

I’m not a Royalist but the Queen’s comes across as a decent human being.

and

at a human level she’s an elderly lady, someone’s mum, granny, great granny.

… pretty much my thoughts.

I’m ambivalent towards the monarchy but she seems nice and she’s carried on queening well past retirement age.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Agreed.

Brian May

Poor old queen, pull through and make it an even 100, she seems a good egg.

matt_outandabout

Classic FM still cheery music.

London Bridge has not been enacted just yet then.

Cougar

Even the notion of a King feels odd.

It’ll cost a fortune to reprint all those new barcoded stamps.

I wonder idly whether, assuming the worst, Charles would (or even is allowed to) say “no ta” and defer to Wills? In his younger days he seemed quite hungry for it, today I wonder whether he could be arsed with it all.

thepurist

not sure we’re all ready for King Charles at this stage.

Nobody’s ready for this!

peekay

Agreed.

Brian May

Not sure if this is a joke about Brian May (curly haired Buckingham Palace roof botherer)

Or saying that Prince Charles (occasionally referred to as Brian) might.

Either way. Very good.

martinhutch

Huw is on the news channel with black tie on already. Bit of a faux pas but I think we can expect anthem and portraits soon.

stumpyjon

I quite like the monarchy, at least with her at the helm (don’t mind Charles either). I like the fact that notionally at least she’s more important than MPs and PMs, she made Boris and Liz get in a plane. I like that it reminds the politicians there are more important people than them. They still theoretically have to be asked to form a government etc.

As above I think she’s made mistakes but who wouldn’t in the same job for 70 years. When she has got it wrong it’s usually been for the right reason. Unfortunately I do think she’s on her way out. WOuld be good if Charles stepped back and let William take over, almost a reverse regency.

jambourgie
    Free Member

The media are going to go full retard if/when The Queen dies. It’ll be like Covid again but more boring.

daviek

Like its been said above not a royalist but do like the Queen, as for the next lot coming through ……

The police have supposidly started thier operation for when she goes.

nedrapier

she made Boris and Liz get in a plane

they took separate private jets. Ridiculous.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

On the plus side all David Walliams books will have to be rounded up and pulped

kayak23

She might have picked something up off that bear.

Hope she’s OK gawd bless her.

molgrips
    Free Member

Huw is on the news channel with black tie on already. Bit of a faux pas but I think we can expect anthem and portraits soon.

They are on the air for a while on BBC News 24 aren’t they? Maybe it’s to avoid him having to change in the middle, which if planned suggests things will unfold quicker than at first appeared.

martinhutch

The plan is to go off air briefly with portraits showing while the change…

mashr

Another non-royalist here, but as others have said she seemed like a nice enough person. The other thing thats just occurred to me is that she’s been a constant for my entire life – will be a bit odd when she’s gone

theotherjonv

She’s had a good innings and enjoyed incredible privilege. Not much to be sad about there!

Sorry for her family’s loss as with any bereavement.

What am I missing, have not read it all but she’s ill isn’t she, or has something been leaked / revealed by someone who’s brother is ITK or what?

the-muffin-man

Must be serious Harry and Meghan are on their way! 😬

dissonance

What am I missing, have not read it all but she’s ill isn’t she

That all the family are heading to Balmoral. Not a good sign.

Houns

Nicholas Witchell already on the verge of tears. Even Dara O’Brian’s evil twin is dressed somber.

Like many above, not a huge royal fan, sad to see the day come when it does, be strange without her

dirkpitt74

I’m a fan of the Queen – think she has been great for the Country.
    If/when it happens I recon that Charlies will take over for a limited time before handing over to Wills, I think time frames have probably already been discussed.

Fingers crossed it’s not as bad as it might seem – would be great if she could make it to 100 and still be Monarch.

thenorthwind

No fan off the royals, but I’m above criticising the monarchy as a system while a person within it is dying.

The media are going to go full retard if/when The Queen dies. It’ll be like Covid again but more boring.

But this made me lol.

This is the worst thing about it. We won’t be allowed to watch or listen to anything normal for at least a week. 6Music had to play muzak for 24 hours after Phil the Greek went off to the big orgy in the sky. Imagine what it’ll be like when the queen goes. 24 hour live streams from just outside the Balmoral estate, on every channel. Spotify will be banned from playing anything not described as “ambient”. The national speed limit will be lowered to 15 miles an hour to allow people to contemplate her life as they drive. You won’t be allowed to buy anything other than plain white bread and coronation chicken in the supermarket, lest food with taste inflames our ardour… etc. etc.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m not a massive Royalist – but i do think she’s an amazing woman, and i’ll be sad to see her go – she’s been a great head of state and the few mistakes she’s made have been dwarfed by the amount of good she’s done for the country.

You only have to look at recent/current heads of state elsewhere to see we lucked out with Liz.

I can take or leave Charles.

As i understand it – when the death of a monarch is announced – all work places close and everyone is sent home.
    About 9.00 tomorrow morning would work for me. (yeah, i’m a bad man)

lister

The other thing thats just occurred to me is that she’s been a constant for my entire life – will be a bit odd when she’s gone

My parents are on their mid to late 70s. They have no real recollection of another monarch. That’s school, work, marriage, kids and retirement.

She really has been there for a complete generation. Bonkers really.

I hope she slips away quietly.

slowoldman

she’s been a constant for my entire life

Certainly in my case. I was born the year she was crowned. I’m not sure the future king will do as good a job.

militantmandy
    Free Member

EDIT – never mind, it’s not worth it.

theotherjonv

I saw it. Irrespective of politics that was quite a callous thing to say about a mother, grandmother and great grandmother

Houns

The tone and words being used on BBC news it doesn’t sound good, I’d be surprised if we don’t get an announcement today (hope I’m wrong!)

tpbiker
    Free Member

Tbh if she passes away today, she’ll be surrounded by her family, in her own bed in her favorite house.

At the age of 96 that’s not a bad way to go, so I can’t muster up much sadness, although I do agree she seemed a decent lady, and it’ll be weird when she finally leaves us

EDIT – never mind, it’s not worth it.

2 pages in. Stay classy STW.

@militantmandy
    , I pray when your nearest and dearest, or even you are in a similar postion, others have more class than you.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

If she snuffs it, do we get a day off work?

johnjn2000

About 9.00 tomorrow morning would work for me. (yeah, i’m a bad man)

FFS no! I have booked tomorrow off as holiday to go biking.

Dark humour aside. Like others have said, I am far from a royalist and have had many discussions (arguments) with family members and forces friends about the value etc. Despite my views on the establishemnt the overiding feeling I have for Queenie is that she is a good person. I will be sad because a nice person who has been around all my life has died, and also feel for those who actually know her like family and friends.

Would quite like it if young Willie came in and notched things up by taking the government to task for being really crap, that would be a turn of events that would freak them right out!

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Not fussed, but I’m not 100% a dick. Would seem like perfect opportunity to get rid of the lot of them though.

freeagent
    Free Member

If she snuffs it, do we get a day off work?

As i understand it – yes, all workplaces are to close when the death of a monarch is anounced…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Just put Radio Scotland on and I’ve heard Elbow and now Keane. Must be bad.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,835 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts with the Queen and her family.’ is closed to new replies.