Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 1,835 total)
  • Thoughts with the Queen and her family.
  • whatgoesup

So we’ll be able to trade deals based on loads of military marching in time?

I hear Russia & North Korea do impressive parades- and that’s every year.

Not the soldiers marching up and down. The pageantry, fancy crowns, gilded thrones, history and all that claptrap. These days it’s just window dressing but hey the rest of the world seems to like it and let’s face it a lot of the more substantial strengths we have as a country are rather diminished and heading in the wrong direction so may as well keep up the stuff we’re good at.

Klunk
    Free Member

yay we rock at chintz

FB-ATB

just circuses these days

And they don’t have animals anymore, that’s why they had sailors pulling the gun carriage.

copa
    Free Member

The benefits of abolition of the monarchy would be insignificant imo and have no bearing on the lives of most people.

I think it would be hugely beneficial — a rethinking of the relationship between people, power and state.
    As history has shown, it has the potential to be an effective political tool for achieving change.
    It can capture imaginations in ways that reforming the House of Lords will struggle to match.
    It has the potential to become a Brexit-style issue that creates a common cause, particularly in Wales and Scotland.
    And it’s an idea that has time on its side.

oldenough
    Free Member

I think it would be hugely beneficial — a rethinking of the relationship between people, power and state

That’s just wishful thinking, no doubt your sincere in your belief but personally I doubt its true. Most people don’t really have a relationship with power and the state. They just want to get on with their own lives and aren’t really interested in change. Many value the monarchy as as a symbol of security and continuity. IMHO most people don’t see the UK and is governance as something that’s broken and needs fixing. STW isn’t representative of the British population as a whole.

ton

STW isn’t representative of the British population as a whole.

this is the most sensible thing i have read on here in at least 10 years. brilliant.

dudeofdoom

I don’t understand why the royal hearse doesn’t have any license plates,

Queens exempt from having number plates, perk of the job.

dudeofdoom

and speed limits thinking about it and er a driving licence 🙂

dudeofdoom

I say ‘exempt’ its probably a little bit more weird legally.

copa
    Free Member

IMHO most people don’t see the UK and is governance as something that’s broken and needs fixing. STW isn’t representative of the British population as a whole.

I agree. It’s the status quo and unless it’s challenged it stays that way.
    Any kind of radical change is unthinkable, until it’s not.

Brexit is a recent example of a complete non-issue. Something that only a tiny minority cared about which was turned into an issue that dominated British politics and led to a societal change.

An older but more relevant example is C19th Chartism which turned a political anorak topic (voting reforms) into a major working-class movement.

Polling currently suggests around two thirds of people under 50 do not support the monarchy, so it wouldn’t be a bad place to start.

Northwind

oldenough
    Free Member

IMHO most people don’t see the UK and is governance as something that’s broken and needs fixing.

Absolutely. But, that doesn’t mean it’s not broken and doesn’t need fixing or that efforts to change it can’t work. Hardly any big changes start out from “most people want this” tbh- I mean, most people don’t want the current government, yet we have it.

Lately I think there’s a lot of people that can see it’s not working but don’t really know what the alternatives might be, how it could be changed, etc. That’s the people that probably matter more than the people like me who already know it’s broken and needs fixing. It’s the difference between getting it started and getting it done.

ernielynch
    Free Member

I don’t understand why the royal hearse doesn’t have any license plates,

and speed limits thinking about it and er a driving licence 🙂

Yeah but she wasn’t driving it!

squirrelking
    Free Member

I say ‘exempt’ its probably a little bit more weird legally.

I’d say its a little simpler. She’s dead.

Also, it was technically on a closed road.

ernielynch
    Free Member

As history has shown, it has the potential to be an effective political tool for achieving change.

And history has also shown that an established monarchy isn’t abolished without some sort of serious crises just because people have decided that there is a better way of doing things.

Sure change occurs when a monarchy is abolished but that is invariably because the society is in a crises and change is deemed as a means of resolving the crises.

I know many on stw believe that we are in a crisis situation at the present but as a society the UK is not currently experiencing a crisis. There is profund political stability – governments last for many years without collapse, there is currently no social unrest, law and order is firmly maintained – no rioting, the economy has survived much worse crises than at the present, no mass unemployment, no general strikes, no political assassinations.

Obviously things might change at some point but if you feel now is good time to convince voters that the monarchy should be abolished you’ve got your work cut out.

If you want to go for something radical I reckon that you might have better luck arguing for the common ownership of the utilities, something which might actually have a positive effect on people’s lives and is perfectly achievable under a monarchy.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

an established monarchy isn’t abolished without some sort of serious crises just because people have decided that there is a better way of doing things.

Isn’t that basically what Barbados did? Just figured Rihanna was a better draw than Liz and voted her off the island. No crisis, no drama.

jon1973
    Free Member

Isn’t that basically what Barbados did? Just figured Rihanna was a better draw than Liz and voted her off the island. No crisis, no drama.

But they didn’t abolish the monarchy, they just left the Commonwealth.

ernielynch
    Free Member

Isn’t that basically what Barbados did?

Well if you think that Barbados removing the role of foreign head of state is the same as nations such as France, Germany, and Russia, abolishing their monarchy then, yes, that’s what Barbados basically did.

ernielynch
    Free Member

But they didn’t abolish the monarchy, they just left the Commonwealth.

No they remain a member of the Commonwealth. Bizarrely Mozambique is a member of the Commonwealth despite never having been a under British control and instead was previously a Portuguese colony.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Sure change occurs when a monarchy is abolished but that is invariably because the society is in a crises and change is deemed as a means of resolving the crises

dudeofdoom

I’d say its a little simpler. She’s dead.

minor technicality,anyway she would have authorised it to drive on ‘her’ roads your usual plates/driving licences are issued on her behalf.

I’m not sure writing a ticket for no plates would be a good career move 🙂

mrlebowski
    Free Member

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the whole thing:
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/20/queen-anger-monarchy-preserving-inequity

Sandwich

There is profund political stability – governments last for many years without collapse, there is currently no social unrest, law and order is firmly maintained –

A profoundly stable governance is not evidenced by a bi-annual change in Prime Minister and subsequent change in ministerial responsibilities/representatives.

imnotverygood

Yes, but the PMs all come from the same party. In any case the system itself is stable. Transfer of power has been according to the law & there has been no social disruption because of it.

ernielynch
    Free Member

The UK government is completely stable. It can easily win votes of confidence. There is currently no political crisis in the UK.

kelvin

Everything’s alright, it’s OK, it’s fine.

Sandwich

This would suggest that the definition of the adjective stable used above is not one that is currently in use. The governing party is in no way stable, a stable party would not change its leader bi-annually. The party may know what it wants but doesn’t know how to achieve this without more internal carnage.

copa
    Free Member

The UK government is completely stable.

I don’t think that’s relevant.
    Changes don’t just happen when there’s some big crisis.
    They are usually the result of grindingly long campaigns which start out with people promoting something that’s unpopular.

squirrelking
    Free Member

The UK government is completely stable. It can easily win votes of confidence. There is currently no political crisis in the UK.

Nah mate, Strong and Stable was 2 PM’s ago.

tjagain

England ( and Wales) Ernie not the uk

NI has no functioing devolved parliament and so horrible fudges to keep institutions functioning

In Scotland we have a massive democratic defict and half the country wants radical change.

ernielynch
    Free Member

Changes don’t just happen when there’s some big crisis.

No of course not. But big changes happen when there are big crises.

a stable party would not change its leader bi-annually.

Wait until you find out how many leaders the Labour Party and LibDems together have had in the last 7 years.

But yeah if the Tories sack Liz Truss, as they very likely might, who knows, perhaps the call for the abolition of the monarchy will become unstoppable.

dudeofdoom

The UK government is completely stable.

Methinks they are really not.

State of NHS/Getting Ambulances/appointments for Doctors/Dentists etc and the cost of living.

I think they are in a difficult place,these are things which will really cause things to kick off if they aren’t fixed.

Monarchy aren’t going anywhere thou, more likely to see the death penalty come back rather than the abolition of the monarchy.

scotroutes

Now that we have a king, these sorts of events will all take much longer, since he can only move along the floor one square at a time.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I suppose we could just bribe him with a castle to hurry him along.

stevextc
    Free Member

Well if you think that Barbados removing the role of foreign head of state is the same as nations such as France, Germany, and Russia, abolishing their monarchy then, yes, that’s what Barbados basically did.

What Barbados did was say someone with no traceable genetic link to the people, who claims to be have been appointed by some god to lord over them to sod off.

So yes, that’s pretty much the same thing, it’s just more obvious due to skin colour but that’s basically what the monarchy is, a bunch of inbreds that believe they are genetically superior to the plebs and god has put them in charge because they are genetically superior.

IdleJon

Germany isn’t a great example of a nation getting rid of their royal family. To start with, they didn’t have a single royal family and had only been a unified country for a few decades. There was also a very obvious reason why the various kings, kaisers and dukes were forced out, late in 1918. Germany hasn’t done badly without a monarchy since then, albeit with a blip a few years later. 😀

franksinatra

There was a lot of media about Prince Louis not being at the funeral, assumption being that this was because he is so young and is also a bit of a hooligan. I assume it was also a ‘last man standing’ type arrangement.

On that basis, I am slightly gutted the rest of the family and heirs didn’t get wiped out. Whilst a massive explosion killing all of the royal family and worlds heads of states would be terrible, a King Louis reign could be a complete riot!

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

German royal families seem to be fairly successful…

Founded in 1826 by Ernest Anton

The House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (German: Haus Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha) is a European Royal House. It takes its name from its oldest domain, the Ernestine duchy of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, its members later sat on the thrones of the United Kingdom and its realms, Belgium, Portugal, Bulgaria, and Mexico.

ernielynch
    Free Member

So yes, that’s pretty much the same thing, it’s just more obvious due to skin colour but that’s basically what the monarchy is

How do you propose that the UK gets over this problem?

tjagain

As one of my pals pointed out the female line is more British and maternity is certain but paternity is very much not certain 🤣

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Fair play, Charles did well to raise Harry as his own…

Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 1,835 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts with the Queen and her family.’ is closed to new replies.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.