Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • flatfish
    Free Member

no but Ianb and myself are out next weekend if you fancy it?

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

I would love to but I’m saving my first trip this year for the South downs way in April, Give all my kit a test run before we head to wales for the ‘Welsh ride thing’…

flatfish
    Free Member

Plenty of time before the welsh ride thing, the more overnighters the better as you’ll get your kit dialled right in.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

due to kids Tri-training most of our weekends are taken up with that so cant really get out and test my kit, may try for a quick overnight at end of feb. As the New forest is only 5 mins down the road Im going to pop down there to test it all out..)

ton

Mr Sparkle…………………..nice one :lol:

IanB
    Free Member

i used a kimm/omm sac with
    1 x snugpack softee kip bag
    1 x 3/4 therma rest
    1 x macpac ultralight tent

My mid-90’s polaris kit bag looked very much like this. Still have the Snugpack Softee actually.

ton

ian………..me too.
    i can no longer get in it tho 8O

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me if the new MBUK with the bivvy article mentions the WRT. I sent them some details and pointed out that it might be something they’d perhaps like to mention.

Thanks in advance.

pastcaring
    Free Member

bit late…

my friends bike, he made the bags himself.
    i’m still trying to steel the seat pack.

flatfish
    Free Member

It’s very, brown! 8O

valleydaddy
    Free Member

wow that’s great but I think Imay well try eat it if I was craving chocolate on a remote hill side :wink:

@pastcaring – what did your mate make the bags out of?? Only ask as my misses is a crafty type and may if bribed make something simialar :lol:

Tiger6791

What’s his favourite colour?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

all built around his favourite Brooks saddle maybe?

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Thats Willy Wonkertastic….!!!

boblo
    Free Member

Ahhh pic of the day. 1 shit brown bike :-)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Looks alright that does, sorta stealthy. Gear ratio looks a touch ‘manly’ for round here though 8O

99percentchimp
    Free Member

Stu – only stealthy in the middle of a Kinderscout bog!

For those of a lightweight persuation I thought this PDF might be useful… some UK-specific Tarp stuff/guff

Tarptastic

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

just bought soem of the lomo bags after seeing them on here, very well priced and excellent bags, the normal (not heavy duty) ones appear very hard wearing, and when rolled over 100% airtight/water proof, thought about using a partially inflated one as pillow? cheers for whoever posted a link to the lomo site.

IanB
    Free Member

Gear ratio looks a touch ‘manly’

And with an absence of rear brake, it looks fixed too 8O

pastcaring
    Free Member

yes brown (ups brown to be exact)
    yes fixed ( rides cx fixed to)

no idea what its made of, but he make very expensive courier bags…

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Ooh yea fixed … proper silly. The other weekends enforced fixed gear experiment was more than enough, thank you.

pastcaring
    Free Member

still s8tannorm – Member
    Ooh yea fixed … proper silly

i couldn’t agree more, but each to their own…

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Chimp that tarp article’s really good, ta.

Tiger6791

Just seen these on eBay for a tenner delivered. Fuel tank type things. Maybe rubbish but the Scott one I’ve got cost a lot more :(

I reckon you modify it a bit (cut out the expanding side bags)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bike-Bicycle-Cycling-Frame-Pannier-Rack-Front-Tube-Bag-/320654217362?pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item4aa87b1092

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Those look interesting not sure how waterproof that’s going to be but for £10 can you go wrong?

Tiger6791

Liberal spraying with Fabsil? I only tend to put Gels etc in mine so doesn’t really matter how waterproof it is.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Most of these bike packing bags are not water proof anyway. The frame bags e.t.c are only made form cordora, it’s up to you to use dry bags if you need it to be dry.

flatfish
    Free Member

Like you say tiger, gels and bars are sealed anyway so that wouldn’t matter but if you put a camera or something in a small sandwich ziploc bag would keep that safe.
    Can’t go wrong for a tenner.

Tiger6791

Bought one, will report back

Anthony
    Free Member

Your the 1 of 10 sold?! I’d be interested to know what it’s like to ride with when the side pockets are opened out. I’m pretty sure that’s where my knees usually are! Keep us informed.

Tiger6791

Yep, I’m 1 in 10, I’m hoping the fold out side bags will just cut out leaving 2 small pockets either side.

Tiger6791

Right so I bought the £10 ‘Fuel tank’ type bag off ebay (see above^^^) Turned up this morning, pretty good seen as I didn’t press ‘Buy it now’ ‘till late afternoon yesterday. So that’s super quick delivery.

First impressions are pretty good, it’s bigger than the Scott one I’ve got and it actually attaches to the bike better. It’s nice material, not too heavy and looks well made.

The main internal pocket is a nice size with internal side ‘cargo nets’ the two side pockets are okay and would be great for gels and chocolate but not much more.

187 grams as it is.

[/url]
    Budget fuel tank[/url] by fantasticmrmatt[/url], on Flickr

Not too big and plenty of clearance for me knees

[/url]

I should be able to modify it to what I want.

First I removed the naff branding.

[/url]

Then I cut off the useless expanding mini pannier side pockets, these came off really easily and was just a case of unpicking the stitching which wasn’t integral to anything else.

[/url]
    [/url]

Suitably modified down to 156 grams

[/url]

All done and on the bike

[/url]
    [/url]

Now I reckon at £10 that’s a bargain!

Oh and that might be a Wildcat bag that also arrived today :) more to come on that later. :)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

that look great Matt.

Just building a 456 for bivvy rides :wink: as the Jandd frame bag I wouldn’t fit my carrera/merida frame 8O.

plus option to go rigid forked if I man up enough :lol:

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Put me down for number 2 of 10 :D great review cant go wrong for £10.
    Cant wait for a bit of news on that wildcat bag ))))

Tiger6791

valleydaddy – Member

that look great Matt.

Recognise that stem?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Nice job … plenty of room for mother in laws cake :wink:

valleydaddy
    Free Member

indeed I do Matt, I could do with it back now for my 456 build :wink:

OOOOOOOoooooo who said cake???

A whole barra brith would go in there!!!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I love this thread – I’m inspired to give it a go!

markenduro
    Free Member

I just bought number 3 fuel tank bag…
    Slowly getting my stuff together for the WRT/general bivvying, already sorted the front rack arrangement (based on klickfix bar bag holder, some straps and some plastic guttering and it is dead stable, have borrowed my mums sewing machine and made a frame bag. Might have a go at a seat pack for my next trick as not happy with the rear rack arrangement…

[/url]
    09022011126[/url] by markenduro[/url], on Flickr

valleydaddy
    Free Member

looking good Mark good effort making your own, I may go down this route for a full frame bag, what fabric did you use?

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.