Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • MrSparkle
    flatfish
    Free Member

ok cool I’ll get a 13L I guess I can just roll it up to make it smaller but knowing me I’ll fill it all

See that’s the problem, by having the smaller bag your forced to go lighter, if you have the big bag you tend to take the kitchen sink et al.

phinbob

Those army tarps look good but heavy – 980g seems like quite a lot…

valleydaddy
    Free Member

well, I’ve ordered a 13l as there are no 8l ones available for the forseable future, I had an email from Alpkit stating “We didn’t anticipate them selling out as fast as they have done, so we currently don’t have any on order, but the guys are on it.” so I couldn’t get one if I wanted one :(

@Flatfish, I am trying to get as Uber light as possible but trying to keep to a budget (ish:wink:) I just need to sort my cooking apparatus out really, have a meths stove (ta Stu) and a gas stove but need the pan/mug etc anyone know of the cheapest place to get the Ti type??

flatfish
    Free Member

A pot, with drinking lid, cosy, pot grabber and spork all for the princely sum of £25 and 52 whole pence.
    Pan weighs pretty much the same as ti pans at twice the price, if i was in the market for one, i’d have it.
    From Ellis Brigham.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

OOOOOOoooooooo nice on ta :wink:

will take a butchers now :wink:

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I use aluminium pots rather than Ti … as flatfish says there’s not much in it weight wise. I think the 2 pan set I use most often might be a Gelert one, I recall it was less than £15 for 900ml pan/mug, 450ml mug and a lid. It’s had plenty of hammer :wink: and shows no signs of giving up.

Here you go just found a link

http://www.gelert.com/products/cooking_dining/cooking/ascent_i_cookset

valleydaddy
    Free Member

awesome they’ve got a store in Bristol, I’ll pop in there next week :D

valleydaddy
    Free Member

cheers Stu another good option I suppose having the 2 pots would be advantageous so I can have brew as my fodder cooks.

slugwash
    Free Member

well, I’ve ordered a 13l as there are no 8l ones available

And I’d just like to add that I also ordered a 13L one today in chilli :-) I’m currently cobbling together the plans for a (on & off road) bike packing trip down to Lands End and back to test it out.

It’s well ‘ard being a bike bivi nerd ;-)

flatfish
    Free Member

Anything else you need sourced valley daddy?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I don’t think I do thanks :wink:

once this weeks purchases turns up and the above cook system is sourced I think I just need to load up and head to the forest and bear test everything — a bear bell that’s all :wink:

flatfish
    Free Member

Stu can help with bear bells.

Seriously!!!

Vortexracing

pointers to a suitable mat wouldn’t go a miss from the STW massive.

this Alpkit Wedge seems OK @ £32 or is it on the large size for Bivying?

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16535&category_id=253

IanB
    Free Member

Previously used Exped bags, but just got some Lomo ones and they are good, very robust bags of a better proportion for strapping to your bars. L to R, 5l, 12l, 20l:

wildcat
    Free Member

Does anybody know if anything came of that call for people wanting those saddle bags like the revelate /epic bags.

IIRC the thread was on about some guy in Britain making some?

That might be me. We’re doing frame bags and working on some other stuff like handlebar harnesses and top tube packs.

Beth

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Ian, have you got a link for those dry bags? Ta

flatfish
    Free Member
    stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Ta and Vortex if I were buying a mat from AlpKit I’d be buying this

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16557&category_id=253

I’d find it very hard to go back to self inflating mat after discovering the new breed of insulated air beds.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

is there a weight limit on those Stu?? :oops:

can you get spare balloons easy enough??

flatfish
    Free Member

Why do you want ballons?
    You planning on supplying the entertainment?
    Alpkit blow up bed that Stu mentioned doesn’t need ballons.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

:oops: sorry I thought it was one of those model balloon types :oops:

Tiger6791

If anybody is after a very light packable insulating layer. Then this seems a proper bargain.

Half price Patagonia Down Sweater

If you can live with the colour :)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ll see your down sweater Tiger … and raise you this

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/craghoppers-icefield-body-warmer-mens-449193

It’s even the correct colour for stealthy operations!

IanB
    Free Member

At 400g, that Craghopper one is quite heavy considering it doesn’t come with arms.

I really like the look of this, but it’s chuffing expensive: http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/crux_halo_top_-_down_filled_smock.html

valleydaddy
    Free Member
    IanB
    Free Member

In the most typically typical way, they’ve now sold out. …

flatfish
    Free Member

I do believe he’s got the ultralight bug gentlemen :D

valleydaddy
    Free Member

:wink: nuff said

aracer
    Free Member

pointers to a suitable mat wouldn’t go a miss

Personally I’d still go either bubblewrap (my preference) or a balloon bed for bivvying. Of course it all depends how much weight you like lugging around, and how that will affect your biking enjoyment. The only downside to bubblewrap is that it’s not very durable, which isn’t a huge issue for 1 or 2 nighters (maybe not as ultralight as a balloon bed, but a lot less faff, and still huge amounts lighter than any blow up or foam mattress).

Anthony
    Free Member

The tiny pack size of the ballon bed makes it perfect for bike bivvy trips.

IanB, the Crux jacket it quite reasonably priced compared to PHD’d offering-

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=110&products_id=240

lumberjack
    Free Member

I used to use a balloon bed – then I got a therma-rest Neo, super comfy, light and packs down nice and small. Wouldn’t consider using anything else now!

The balloons were always fun though.

MrSparkle

Bike bivvying is so fashionable there’s even any article about it in this month’s MBUK.

ton

just read pretty much all of this thread………….

FANTASTIC…………………………… 8)

but, in the late 80’s and 90’s me and a pal did about 10 polaris events
    i used a kimm/omm sac with
    1 x snugpack softee kip bag
    1 x 3/4 therma rest
    1 x macpac ultralight tent
    1 x msr ministove
    1 x mess tin
    food for 2 days

all this went in my kimm sac.

why all these bags to go on the bike?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

ton in answer to your question it is to spread the weight across the bike rather than having a pack on your back. It also forces you to go as lightweight as possible as I found out on the STW winter bivvy when I had soooooooo much weight and in panniers too, which trying to ride on ice was interesting to say the least, hence my drive to lighten my kit and carry it in a different way to my Ortlieb panniers which although great allow me to carry everything to feed a platoon 8O

MrSparkle

Ton had the bag in his pocket. His mate slipped it there when he wasn’t looking. :wink:

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Anyone been out over the weekend?

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.