Viewing 13 posts - 281 through 293 (of 293 total)
  • Santa Cruz ebike
  • endoverend

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that there are already companies who give out financial incentives if employees log a target amount of commutes by bicycle, as extra pay or holiday in lieu, it may not have been in this country…as an eco-conscious lifelong Vegetarian who doesn’t consume much and currently works from home I’d really like a tax break please…if only.

chakaping
    Free Member

Indeed. If we’re handing out tax breaks for cycling, let’s do it across the board and not favour the higher rate tax payers.

+1

I didn’t mind benefiting when I was a higher-rate taxpayer but must admit it’s a weirdly regressive “benefit”. I could probably do it again now via my current employer, but my bargain hunting skills are honed to such a level that it’s kind-of superfluous to my needs.

If they were handing out free Bromptons though…

iainc

Reading various reviews and snowy ride reports, Danny Mac vids etc. I wonder if the new Heckler really is that good, leagues above most other ebikes, or is it a lot of hype ? On paper it has the wrong size wheels, an old tech motor and poor spec for the money.

So, is it really a step above the E150 RS Whyte, or the Orbea Wild FS, or a Spesh Levo or is it a case of The Emperors New Clothes…

chiefgrooveguru

I doubt it’s better at all, just different. Probably nicely made, good guarantee for sure, fun to ride. Is anything ever leagues ahead of anything else (at a similar price) in an industry this competitive?

dumbbot
    Free Member

Well I’ve been in at Mugdock today and seen one in the flesh and they are lovely, but the most remarkable thing was the weight compared to the Cube stereo ebike which felt like a boat anchor.

I can only imagine how that must transfer on the trail, it certainly felt on a different level to the Cube ebike…but probably cost twice as much.

iainc

^^^ interesting, I thought it was similar weight, at around 49-51 lb to most of the decent spec alternatives. Was it the blingy one with the carbon wheels etc ? Haven’t tried picking up one of Keith’s Cube’s mind you !

tjagain

Indeed. If we’re handing out tax breaks for cycling, let’s do it across the board and not favour the higher rate tax payers. Or, we could be really forward-thinking and actually reward folk financially when they choose to commute by bike.

Edinburgh city council tried to do this. HMRC decided it was a taxable benefit and killed the idea

lyndo76
    Free Member

It’s interesting how much debate and discussion ebikes are causing, but then any new innovation has the same effect (29″, dropper posts, wireless shifting). I’m lucky enough to live in Morzine so popped into the Santa Cruz marketing showroom to take a look at the new Heckler they have on display and it was a good looking bike (although personally i wouldn’t pick yellow). From what I get from the person in the showroom it’s quite similar to the Bronson (and other than the battery section looks very much like it) and does a very good job on the downhills with the added benefit on the ups. I’ve ridden the Nomad and the Megatower round here for a few years and have no doubt i’ll start seeing a fair few of these Hecklers around. My wife (who has also ridden the Nomad and was looking at the Juliana Roubion) said she’d be really interested in getting the Heckler instead as it meant that when we go out together on the more enduro style rides she’ll be closer to me on the ups and it’ll be more fun for her (and probably for me too), that seemed like a good reason to me.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

So, is it really a step above the E150 RS Whyte, or the Orbea Wild FS, or a Spesh Levo or is it a case of The Emperors New Clothes

Absolutely not, it’s conservative (outdated) geometry, outdated motor + battery tech & hilariously overpriced, even for a Santa Cruz. And it looks sh*t.

I can’t think of any reason why I would want to consider buying it over a number of other Ebikes currently for sale.

mashr

From what I get from the person in the showroom it’s quite similar to the Bronson (and other than the battery section looks very much like it) and does a very good job on the downhills with the added benefit on the ups.

Truly insightful from the marketing guy there

chiefgrooveguru

“it’s conservative (outdated) geometry”

It may be that I don’t ride fast enough but I feel that geometry doesn’t need to go quite as long and slack when you have the added stability and more effective suspension due to the much greater frame weight. Also, with their high speed uphill ability there’s an argument for slightly higher bottom brackets.

And also that speed on flat or slightly uphill trails gives a good argument for not going so steep on the seat angle so your seated position is closer to your attack position for better handling. And then that ties together with longer chainstays so you can climb steep stuff.

I’d still rather have 29” wheels though!

lyndo76
    Free Member

🙂 he was actually very chatty and helpful and gave some good personal opinions, the bit i was highlighting was the similarity to the Bronson out of the range.

iainc

^^^^^ yeah, RideCairngorm have been using one for past week or so and riding with Danny Mac and others, and that’s exactly how they described it too !

Viewing 13 posts - 281 through 293 (of 293 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz ebike’ is closed to new replies.