Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 295 total)
  • Santa Cruz ebike
  • Premier Icon Ming the Merciless

My LBS were “strongly” denying the existence of the SC ebike a few weeks ago😁

Premier Icon brant

Yeah, Jungle was Stif but apparently Santa Cruz bought the lot off the original owner. That’s according to a lad in the shop so happy to be corrected.

Well it’s all on Companies House.
    I only noticed yesterday.

Premier Icon sillyoldman

All happened last summer ax far as I remember?

Premier Icon stevemuzzy
    Free Member

If that isn’t a real pic, it’s a good fake.

Specialized just trumped the 10k barrier with their new one, will this be 12k?

Premier Icon chestrockwell

Don’t think so. BW are local dealer still.

Well the staf in the Summerbridge store were saying they were knackered last Saturday as they’d been setting up the new store all week and one of the lads was in training for the new shop so keep your eyes peeled!

Premier Icon argee

Stif are opening up down the road from me in Winterborne, sure it’s this month or next they’re opening from.

As for a SC eBike, i guess if there’s a market for it then they’ll sell well, i just see them being a bit late to this party, unless they’re bringing their own motor, battery, etc then they’re just joining the rest of the late entries, while the well established are looking at how to move on to the next stage.

Premier Icon tomhoward

Specialized just trumped the 10k barrier with their new one, will this be 12k?

check out the ‘founders edition’. Not sure if it’s available in the UK but it’s $16,500…

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Released next Tuesday, all I can say, sworn to secrecy. 🤐

Premier Icon chevychase
    Free Member

If that pic’s legit – effing hell that’s bleeding UGLY.

But then, never seen a pretty ebike. I think the motor and batteries make it impossible (currently).

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If that pic’s legit – effing hell that’s bleeding UGLY.

Aye, they missed a trick by not sitting it next to a Marin, it would be stunning looking by comparison.

i just see them being a bit late to this party

SC have never been quick to the party, with any new bike, but they’ll sell a shit load anyway. They seem to definitely do some proper intensive testing before launch, if you want a top dollar carbon bike that’s untested and gauranteed to break, Yeti and Evil will sell you one.

Premier Icon antares
    Free Member

Talk of the Ebikes being launched today but here they are in this video

Premier Icon snotrag

New heckler, 150mm travel, Shimano Steps motor.

Premier Icon tomhoward

So, just how big a meltdown do we think purists will have?

Premier Icon dirkpitt74

Here you go:

Santa Cruz Heckler – Pinkbike

$7,400-$12,600 – so about the same in post-brexit Pounds then…..

Premier Icon robj20
    Free Member

£6699

Premier Icon bowglie

The choice of ‘cc’ carbon for the frame and 504Wh battery is interesting – maybe to try and keep the weight of the top spec bike in check eh? (They must be piss*d off with Specialized and their ‘lightweight’ Levo).  Whatever, I can see ‘em selling well.

Premier Icon dirkpitt74

Just found it at Brink Cycles – £6,999 to £11,999.

Premier Icon oscillatewildly

Awful in more ways than one

Never thought I’d see a SC ebike

Ah well lazy **** win I guess

Premier Icon tomhoward

maybe to try and keep the weight of the top spec bike in check eh?

More to justify the price I should imagine. CC only knocks off 250-300g on a regular frame. A drop in the ocean here.

I think they’ve missed the boat here. 3-4 years ago that bike would have been cutting edge, Now, with the new Levo SL, they are lost in a sea of mediocrity. What does it do that nothing else does or has done for 3 years+? (I appreciate that having ‘Santa Cruz’ written on the side is all it needs for some folk, but still)

Premier Icon kelvin

they are lost in a sea of mediocrity

As the market matures, the motorised aspect of these bikes will continue to become more similar, and the attention will turn to geometry, handling, suspension action etc… the stuff that matters… to differentiate.

Premier Icon martinhutch

7K for your bling NX build.

Premier Icon Blackflag

Who cares how early or late the the party this is? All that matters is how well it rides. I’m sure it will be a nice bike but the price tag puts it well out of my reach.

Its not too bad looking for an ebike. But thats damning with faint praise as i think all ebikes are pretty ugly.

Premier Icon tomhoward

As the market matures, the motorised aspect of these bikes will continue to become more similar, and the attention will turn to geometry, handling etc… the stuff that matters… to differentiate.

I reckon the 3KG the Levo SL has over this (and most others) will matter more to handling than a degree here or there in geo tweaks. Folk spending that much money want the latest and greatest in every area (or to be able to lift it onto their car…). It’s gonna be a tough sell to steer them from an SL at that money.

Just seen ‘lifetime warranty’ on the STW article though, which is a huge plus if it applies to everything on the bike…

Premier Icon Hob Nob
    Free Member

Beaten to it with some of the comments. Wrong size wheels, small battery, geometry out of date & a hilarious price tag. Literally brings nothing to the party for me.

Whilst I love a good ebike, this is not one IMO.

I’m sure there will be bucket loads of them in Peaslake by the spring, powered by the usual wobblers 🙂

Premier Icon mulv1976
    Free Member

Get over it, businesses go with what’s going to make them money not what doesn’t offend the purists.

As for the lazy comment, you must be trolling. I rode over 27 miles on my YT Decoy at the weekend, did way more climbing and dh trails than I would normally have done in that time, and was totally knackered by the end!

Premier Icon yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Having a look, and the motor, travel, wheelsize and fork are exactly the same as my Saracen Ariel-E and the geometry is almost exactly the same – chainstays the same, head angle the same, very small differences in reach and BB drop, though the Santa Cruz has a 2 degree steeper seat angle…

While the Saracen has an alu front triangle and the battery mounted on the down tube instead of in it and only one spec (equivalent to the second-tier Santa Cruz build), they’re only £3k as opposed to £7.7k

So, for a lot less money you should get something that rides pretty similarly… The “Poor Man’s” Santa Cruz haha

Premier Icon antares
    Free Member

I’d have expected a bit more innovation from SC with them taking this long get an Ebike out. Looks like a bike Pon Holdings have told them to do rather than something they wanted to do. Looks dated already

Premier Icon escrs
    Free Member

Its a bit of a shame they have not come up with something a bit better

Basically they have taken an off the shelf system and built their frame around it, there is nothing wrong with that but i expected them to come out with something more

Compare it to the 2019/2020 Levo battery slides into the down tube so its fully encased, 700wh battery on the comp and above, takes 29er and 27.5 wheels and has a flip chip to lift the bottom bracket up

This is their first e bike and they are a few years behind so hopefully they will catch up soon and i see this one as them dipping their toe in and seeing the response

Premier Icon sneakyg4

Looks relatively vanilla to me.

What I really wanted to strap on my Audi was a Blur based electric XC rocket, no one seems to be doing this.

Premier Icon andybrad

i forsee a lot of people who said they would never have an ebike now going out and buying an ebike….

Premier Icon mashr

Wrong size wheels, small battery, geometry out of date & a hilarious price tag. Literally brings nothing to the party for me.

And they’ll sell them buy the iso container load

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

Say what you want but I know a bunch of people who ONLY buy Santa Cruz and they’ve had their orders in for a few weeks now.

I say ‘buy’ Santa Cruz not ‘ride’ because I mostly see their Bronson’s and Nomad’s dangled over the tailgate of their Amarok’s.

Premier Icon whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Can’t see me selling my sc because they added an ebike to the range.. it complements the range and will sell by the bucket load,

One thing I noticed with the spec SL it had 2.3 tyres as opposed 2.6 which a lot of ebikes seem to favour, clearly to get the published weight down, they are all at it

Premier Icon rhayter

I’d have expected a bit more innovation from SC with them taking this long get an Ebike out. Looks like a bike Pon Holdings have told them to do rather than something they wanted to do. Looks dated already

This. I’m sure it rides well and all but… it’s a bit “meh”. But as others have suggested, I reckon it’ll sell very well indeed, despite the price.

Premier Icon bruneep

looks 2 yrs out of date with motor and battery. Have Levo SL demo in garage, I’d rather have that than the SC.

Premier Icon escrs
    Free Member

I say ‘buy’ Santa Cruz not ‘ride’ because I mostly see their Bronson’s and Nomad’s dangled over the tailgate of their Amarok’s.

Not just Santa Cruz’s, i see lots of high end (10k plus road bikes) parked up in cafes with the owners milling around in Rapha clothing whilst drinking coffee and eating cake, when you check the Strava fly by feature after a ride (Strava Stalker Alert!!!) you see they have only done a 10 mile ride and spent 2 hours at the cafe chatting

No matter what the brand is, if its expensive some people will buy it to show off and not use it to its full potential, look at any super car owner, i bet they have never done a track day in their life and would scare themselves if they used the car’s full potential

Premier Icon oscillatewildly

mulv1976

Get over it, businesses go with what’s going to make them money not what doesn’t offend the purists.

As for the lazy comment, you must be trolling. I rode over 27 miles on my YT Decoy at the weekend, did way more climbing and dh trails than I would normally have done in that time, and was totally knackered by the end!

NO.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

I’d have expected a bit more innovation from SC

Daft question, when was the last time SC did something innovative? I know a few folk who ride them and by all accounts what they do they do well but it’s all tried and tested stuff. That’s not a bad thing but being surprised it’s not innovative is a bit like being surprised that Simon Cowell’s next huge commercial success isn’t a death metal band.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 295 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.