Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 2,576 total)
  • Rugby World Cup Thread 2019
  • anagallis_arvensis

Shit game, nice win. Hope everyone comes through ok.

tjagain

MY goodness -AA actually speaks the truth!

gauss1777
    Free Member

MY goodness -AA actually speaks the truth!

I enjoyed the first 50 minutes, until the momentum changed. Disappointing that the France v Scotland game is not on tv.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Briefly, how do the rankings work for Wales to go top over New Zealand?

tjagain

Disappointing that the France v Scotland game is not on tv.

I thought it was on premier sports?

bigblackshed

Briefly, how do the rankings work for Wales to go top over New Zealand?

Not a clue TBH. I know that it’s based on the run of results, but not how long a time period or how many games involved.

Wales won’t ever “really” be number 1 until they beat the team they haven’t since 45BC.

Still it’s nice to have bounced back after the lukewarm display last week, even if it required a bit of luck and lots of angry faces.

anagallis_arvensis

This is Wales level, without Anscombe and to a lesser extent Loopy Liam we have to rely on dogging out close results. Losing Anscombe is a massive loss. I’m not too fussed though, the world cup is a bit of fun we have no realistic chance of winning anyway.
    Positives for Wales are 1/2p, Shingler and Navidi coming through games and Wainright continuing to develop into a very top class 6.
    England meanwhile are an odd one, they are certainly more dangerous with Ford at 10. The massive pack gambit seems a bit strange for the heat of Japan, if they cant bully opposition as they couldnt today, whats plan B? England’s backrow must have been 3 stone a main heavier than Wales and their props are all massive.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant old school terrestrial 😂

gauss1777
    Free Member

Wales won’t ever “really” be number 1 until they beat the team they haven’t since 45BC.

Nah, Wales are ranked number 1. I say: either enjoy it for what it is, or let us enjoy it for a week or so : )

gauss1777
    Free Member

Also,

This is Wales level… the world cup is a bit of fun we have no realistic chance of winning anyway.

I pretty much agree with this, we cannot say for certain we’ll get out of the group stage. However, I’d say we have almost no realistic chance, or a fairly unrealistic chance.

Getting a bit carried away with myself, but if (big if perhaps) Wales have an 85% of getting out of the group, then a 1/3, 1/4, 1/5 chance in the next three games that would give us ~1 or 2% chance. Oh, that’s no realistic chance ; )

tjagain

gauss1777

Sorry, I meant old school terrestrial 😂

ON on freesports tomorrow morning which is somewhere down the far end of freeview IIRC

I will hopefully be watching it live on a dodgy feed

Kryton57

I didnt see the game but Garces is getting a lot of flack from both sides

Theres a huge outpouring about that welsh try being allowed, with the tap being taken during a head injury and players being subbed.

Comments on that from the neutrals – unsportman like behaviour or fair?  Should Garces have called it back?

gauss1777
    Free Member

Thanks tj I would not have found that. I’m hoping France play really well and like South Africa and Australia show signs of being much stronger for the World Cup. But, I hope Scotland win in style.

anagallis_arvensis

Theres a huge outpouring about that welsh try being allowed, with the tap being taken during a head injury and players being subbed.

England player had been yellowed and was trudging off…seemed fine to me. TV mostly missed it but ref seemed happy to play on. English physios were on fussing about nothing trying to slow up the game as far as I could tell. Ref doesnt have to stop for every injury.

tjagain

Comments on that from the neutrals – unsportman like behaviour or fair? Should Garces have called it back?

The ref is the sole judge of fact. The players should not have switched off and anyway it did not lead directly to the try – it was a few phases later. I thought it was while Watson was on his way off the park for his sin bin not an injury so physios should not have been on the pitch anyway

Naive from England. “clever” from Wales. England should have known that the Welsh are sneaky bastards

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I see no HIA or injury here.

England should have known that the Welsh are sneaky bastards

😀

Kryton57

Of course you dont, youre a welsh supporter.

Naive from England. “clever” from Wales. England should have known that the Welsh are sneaky bastards

Seeing only the comments this is what i assumed – that England have to wise up to the fact that teams will take any opportunity to score against 12 players, even if it could be slightly cheating or that the ref is enept whatever the reason.  The score was on the wing when we were two.backs short,

Yes its within the rules, and yes Garces is the judge of the awarding of the try, but when both sportsmanship of the team and the refs overall performance is in question you have to question the merit and value of a player of Norths quality scoring against half the backline that should have been.

Englands fault and loss, but its suggested not on a level playing field.

anagallis_arvensis

you have to question the merit and value of a player of Norths quality scoring against half the backline that should have been.

About 5 points or 7 with the kick.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😂

tjagain

Sorry guys but from what I saw it was completely in the rules. The ref had not stopped the clock for an injury. Monye reckoned the play cannot restart until the yellow carded player is off the park but given he was not interfering with play>…………..

tjagain

Large steaming pile of mince being delivered in Nice!

Hastings is a plonker! Forwards look soft as, France look like the real France – playing some great stuff.

tjagain

The score was on the wing when we were two.backs short,

Why were you two backs short?

Edit – I saw no one down injured before the play stopped. I assume England thought the watch was stopped when it wasn’t

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Point of order- laws, not rules.

tjagain

Anyone watching the Scotland game? I missed the first try so dunno what happened

gauss1777
    Free Member

Sorry guys but from what I saw it was completely in the rules. The ref had not stopped the clock for an injury. Monye reckoned the play cannot restart until the yellow carded player is off the park but given he was not interfering with play>…………..

I’m with Tj on this, otherwise you’d be encouraging the penalised team slowing down the restart.

Anyone watching the Scotland game? I missed the first try so dunno what happened

Listening on the radio, so not sure. Need one of Scotland’s miraculous comebacks (again).

bigblackshed

Nah, Wales are ranked number 1. I say: either enjoy it for what it is, or let us enjoy it for a week or so : )

I am enjoying it, I’m Welsh.

tjagain

Not a lot of positives for Scotland from that. without key players we look poor. Defense was very poor.

Only highlights – Ritchie looks a test player and Graham did well on their big winger. Some individual good play from the outside backs, Hutchinson looked fine in his cameo

France – very good and looked sharp. Lovely offloading and countering game. Not seen France play like that for a long time.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I’ve just seen (hopefully I’m not wrong) that Japan now 9th play Scotland now 8th as the last pool game on the 13th of October- that is going to be some game!

tjagain

Yup – its a rather scary one. Japan will be targetting that game as the one to get them thru and Japan have a long turnaround, Scotland a short one.

Scotland will have to be a lot better than tonight to get thru

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

France looked good, Scotland didn’t. Japan will be licking their lips.

tjagain

Fair comment CFH

I still both have nightmares and applaud Japan for scoring against Scotland in the last WC with the most beautiful rolling maul I have ever seen.

Japan will target scotland for sure.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Japan will target scotland for sure.

Yes, in Murrayfield Scotland would be clear favourites for me. But, last game, qualification for both teams on the line, home crowd, the weather,…
    This World Cup is lining up to be amazing.

hols2
    Free Member

how do the rankings work for Wales to go top over New Zealand?

I assume the algorithm is based on calculating your ability relative to the other teams you play, so beating low ranked teams counts for less than beating high ranked teams. Australia are ranked #6, so NZ losing a game and winning a game puts them at a 50% chance of beating Australia, which is not really what you’d expect from the #1 ranked team, meaning that NZ should drop as a result. Also, SA are ranked #5, so NZ’s performance against them would justify a lower ranking. Their last game was impressive, but the other games this year were very unconvincing. England and Wales are ranked #4 and #2, so beating a #4 ranked team counts for more than beating a #6 ranked team. Ireland is #3, so the Six Nations teams have had more opportunities to play high ranked teams than NZ has this year.

duckman

Krypton THM getting a ban didn’t lead to a situation vacant, don’t be that guys spiritual successor. Nothing wrong with a quick penalty, the physios weren’t dealing with a head injury and the carded player had been dealt with. The England support team were just slowing play down to allow England to reorganise, any comment on sportsmanship there? As to your other point, North is a 2 times Lion, why wouldn’t he score against a full strength England? Darcey Graham did it several times last year, and doesn’t look big enough to pay an adult bus fare 😀
    For obvious reasons not watching the Scotland game so watched the NZ match….be afraid, be very afraid,they were scarily good.

hols2
    Free Member

watched the NZ match….be afraid, be very afraid,they were scarily good.

What’s great about this year is that the top teams have all been up and down. NZ, SA, Aus, Wales, England, and Ireland could all win the WC if they play at their best, but one bad game (or injuries to key players) and they’ll be packing their bags. France have a history of pulling surprises out of the hat too, the France vs Argentina pool game should be excellent, as well as Scotland vs Japan.

nickjb
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a quick penalty

So why weren’t England allowed a quick penalty at around 78mins? Close to the line, good chance of scoring and levelling the game but got called back to retake it

anagallis_arvensis

So why weren’t England allowed a quick penalty at around 78mins?

Once the nine wasnt over the mark and another time the ref was talking to players in both instances a quick tap is not allowed. Ask yourself if Biggar had just kicked to touch would you have been bothered? It wasnt a “quick tap” he just kicked it the other way.

onehundredthidiot

Sideshow Bob was trudging across the pitch. I think he should have gone off by the shortest route. If Biggar had kicked and it had hit him he would have been interfering with play. The physios and Waterboys are an annoying distraction. In my book medic comes on for injury. “Physio” and waterluggers when ref has stopped play and clock has stopped, as signalled by ref. It was starting at schoolboy level in my last season of reffing. I did ask coaches to stop it or if penalise them for interfering with play.

Pigface
    Free Member

Bitter saes already?

tjagain

Darcey Graham did it several times last year, and doesn’t look big enough to pay an adult bus fare 😀

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 2,576 total)

The topic ‘Rugby World Cup Thread 2019’ is closed to new replies.