Viewing 40 posts - 2,521 through 2,560 (of 2,576 total)
  • Rugby World Cup Thread 2019
  • BruceWee

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/sru-braced-for-six-figure-fine-from-world-rugby-1-5037524

On the one hand, two chances to play Japan. Cannae wait.

On the other hand, 6 figures! WTAF!?

No way that won’t be going to court which I think is a good thing. I want to see Gilpin under oath describing in detail the conversations he had with NZ rugby amongst others. Then have NZ rugby describe the same conversations under oath.

Japan have done an awesome job with this tournament.

World Rugby and Gilpin in particular have proven themselves to be massive massive ****.

wrecker
    Free Member

So who will England pick next? Daly at full back doesnt work for me.

Lots of very good players champing at the bit. Couldn’t agree more about Daly. He’s been actual rubbish.
    Youngs, Cole, Marler, Lawes, Wilson, Heinz
    In 4 years time, Manu, JJ, Farrell, May will be 32/33. Jeez, even Nowell will be 30! Some of the other forwards will be too, but they could probably wear it.
    Someone needs to sack up now and look at properly bringing in the likes of Tompkins, Ibitoye, Randall, Thorley, Smith, Lewington, Lawrence, etc etc.

To add to A_a’s list, wales would be mad not to start brining in Ion Lloyd. Dan Thomas is worth a look too, he’s been fantastic for bris and Tips will be 34 when the next RWC rolls around.

anagallis_arvensis

To add to A_a’s list, wales would be mad not to start brining in Ion Lloyd. Dan Thomas is worth a look too, he’s been fantastic for bris and Tips will be 34 when the next RWC rolls around

Yeah Tips will be old butvwe arent that blessed with quality players although 7 we do have options. Wales need to build strength not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Daky is a quality rugby player mind, could he go to 13.

Faz
    May
    Tuilagi
    Daly
    Watson
    AN Other Fullback.

hols2
    Free Member

is their coach a genius

This week, yes. Last week, Eddie Jones was a genius. A few weeks ago, Steve Hansen and Jamie Joseph were geniuses. You’re only as good as your last game.

loum
    Free Member

Not true.
    Erasmus has now won the world cup for his country.
    The next game’s result can’t detract from that.
    But, don’t think there is a next game for rassie, he moves up to director of rugby and chooses the next coach, which was their plan when he went back. Was just a temp stand in while they needed him then upstairs. But definitely genius. SA on the rise.
    Hansen too, With two world cups.

anagallis_arvensis

But definitely genius. SA on the rise.
    Hansen too, With two world cups.

If Hansen was a genius he’d have won the World Cup with Wales!

hols2
    Free Member

SA on the rise.

They may be on the rise, they may have peaked and it might be all downhill from here. We’ll know more in a couple of years.

IdleJon

I noticed that the news last night reported the game with words along the lines of ‘South Africa wanted the win more because Kolisi would be the first black captain to win the cup’.

If only the rest of the world could find something to motivate them, eh?

hols2
    Free Member

If only the rest of the world could find something to motivate them, eh?

England losing works for a lot of people.

Kryton57

…and there were go.  Well the class and empathy lasted roughly 24hrs at least before the bitterness rose again.  Business as usual then…

IdleJon

I don’t think so in this case, being English media. The news report felt like they were looking for an excuse for England’s loss, other than SA were a better team on the day.

tjagain

Well I got some bits right!

It was quite amusing reading thru the predictions. My favourite was someone ( ??Gauss) stating that Jap-an would not beat ireland or scotland!

tjagain

Kryton its not bitterness. When yo have a big brother who is constantly telling you that they are too good for you its a nice bit of schadenfreude when they lose.

Its mainly a reaction to the press anyway

anagallis_arvensis

Just arrived at my boys rugby tournament, piss funny reminding all the Englanders that they were cheering for SA last week so I was expecting them to be happy!

Kryton57

Its mainly a reaction to the press anyway

The English press, to be precise.

You know, its 2019 and there’s a lot of English people who are just normal tea drinking families and parents who’ve got no inclination to jump over Hadrians wall and ravish the Scots, suppress the Welsh or contain the Irish.  Nor are we by courtesy of our born nationality responsible for the acts of our forefathers.   It wears heavily and tiresome to want to discuss a sport which we all enjoy and some are so passionate about with the constant barbs to our nationality.

I’m having a bad weekend for sure – more than the rugby involved tbh – but the continued casual racism (because they are English, not just journalists for example) and blame, and joy to see us lose because we are England/English is just so wearing.

I think there are so many supporters English ones at that, that have congratulated SA, are happy for their win yet devastated for our own loss who have acknowledged in honesty that we’ve been outplayed for sure, yet the minor non English sneer acknowledging the fact we failed to win this match seems to prevail in a manner thats all the better for them because of our Nationality.

Its saddening to me TBH.  I’m not here for an argument so I won’t be defending this post against one, I’m off out to watch my kid play Rugby which will now doubt be the highlight of my Rugby weekend.

IdleJon

The English press, to be precise.

No. The British national press.

anagallis_arvensis

but the continued casual racism (because they are English, not just journalists for example) and blame, and joy to see us lose because we are England/English is just so wearing

Dry your eyes fella, you can no doubt restore the true world order in 4 years time! The whole point of sport is rivalries. Is it casual racism when I take the piss out of Ospreys or Cardiff supporters (not the Dregs they have enough issues)?

tjagain

Kryton – we have tried to explain why the ABE exists. Its very difficult to see unless you are a wales, Scotland or Ireland supporter but the continual promotion of the English team in the press and the ignoring of others is more than a little irritating

One small example when two non home nations are playing we are always told what english clubs the players play for or have played for. No mention of for example the role scottish teams have had in developing Fiji players! Matowalo was described as an ex bath player – not a current Glasgow player!

Or things like being continually told the english league is the best in the world when european cup results show it is not.

It gets very wearing

anagallis_arvensis

An example was Lord Balds first comment at half time was that a different SA turned up to the one that played Wales.

After the game Faff was interviewed “you changed the game plan from last week then” “no it was the same”

molgrips
    Free Member

It wears heavily and tiresome to want to discuss a sport which we all enjoy and some are so passionate about with the constant barbs to our nationality.

Mate, it’s not that, in most cases. I’m half English, I was born and grew up there. I’ve always supported England in football.

The dislike is just English Rugby. Yes, because of pain of defeat inflicted through the years, but there’s more. The English rugby media are incredibly cocky which really grates when you’re losing to them. Much of the British media gushes about England every time they win a match like it’s 2003 again. English rugby gets more column inches. That bloke who commentates on ITV is an England fan, which irritates hugely. He doesn’t talk about the game half the time, just gushes about England.

History aside, when you’re already feeling sidelined by a much bigger and culturally dominating partner, this grates. And on top of that, there’s a class divide between rugby in England and Wales. It’s a public school sport in England. Then you’ve got the issue that Eddie Jones is an unpleasant man and apparently so are half the England team. Then all the extra coverage seems like rubbing our faces in it all the more.

anagallis_arvensis

Eddie Jones is an unpleasant man and apparently so are half the England team.

Currently most of the England players seem fine, obviously Marler is a racist and Itoje a prise **** but the rest seem ok.

hols2
    Free Member

Eddie Jones is an unpleasant man

Not disagreeing about that, but there are mitigating circumstances:
    i) He is less of a tosser than Chieka
    ii) He coached Japan to a win against South Africa and England to a WC final, including a truly exceptional victory against NZ in the semi-final.

gauss1777
    Free Member

My favourite was someone ( ??Gauss) stating that Jap-an would not beat ireland or scotland!

Harsh, you haven’t even quoted whatever I said ; )
    Without going back to check. I did not forsee Japan beating Ireland at all. The Japan v Scotland game was too close to call for me iirc. I certainly would not rule out Scotland losing to any other team away 😂. I probably said at the time people at my work gave Japan no chance of beating Scotland and I attempted to persuade them to be more cautious. I may well have thought Scotland the more likely to win, just before the tournament started.
    Those first games seem such a long time ago now.
    Tj I’m really looking forward to the 6Nations, but the banter when the next Lions tour comes around will be special too ; )

anagallis_arvensis

Tj I’m really looking forward to the 6Nations, but the banter when the next Lions tour comes around will be special too ; )

Gatland should pick yesterdays England 15 and beat SA in SA just to piss of Jones!!!

mindmap3
    Free Member

there’s a class divide between rugby in England and Wales. It’s a public school sport in England.

Apart from it’s not really any more, there are rugby players from all background now. Sinkler was hardly born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

I didn’t go to a private school and played rugby at school. Dawson and Lewsy were products of the RGS in High Wycombe were my uncle went to school with them.

anagallis_arvensis

Apart from it’s not really any more,

There really is!! How many are privately educated, rugby scholarship kids?

disco_stu
    Free Member

The English rugby media are incredibly cocky

A perfect examples, so dismissive of South Africa.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Gatland should pick yesterdays England 15 and beat SA in SA just to piss of Jones!!!

😂😂

IdleJon

Without going back to check. I did not forsee Japan beating Ireland at all.

I don’t think any sensible person would have predicted that Ireland were going to be so poor this RWC.

hols2
    Free Member

I don’t think any sensible person would have predicted that Ireland were going to be so poor this RWC.

No, I thought they were quite likely to meet NZ in the final. I had the Japan-Scotland game penciled in as probably the decider for runner up in the pool, with Japan quite likely to win, but beating Ireland was stunning. Once Japan had done that, they were clear favorites to beat Scotland, I don’t know why anyone was surprised at the outcome of that game.

wrecker
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with rugby scholarships, I wish there were many, many more. I coach a kids team and we have he entire cross section; privately educated kids, kids from state schools on not so nice areas etc. Black, white, Asian, mixed race, English, Jamaican, south African, welsh. It’s awesome that these kids mix. If I can in some small way help any of them get a rugby scholarship I’d be absolutely over the moon.

anagallis_arvensis

Nothing wrong with rugby scholarships

Who said there was?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

A perfect examples, so dismissive of South Africa.

A scroll through Matt Dawson’s Twitter feed today is highly entertaining.

Almost as entertaining as seeing the smug look wiped off Clive Woodward’s face.

DenDennis
    Free Member

Back to post match analysis of the final, and picking up on AA’s point on previous page, I do think England were rattled and unprepared for early loss of sinckler. It seemed all those looping clever little decoy runs routines that we saw against NZ didn’t happen, maybe he was always partnof the begining of routine and Dan Cole wouldn’t have been prepared to take same role. On a similar hindsight type note, taking a squad to beat both NZ and then SA is tough, or could that have been done I wonder?

piha
    Free Member

Molgrips
    Then you’ve got the issue that Eddie Jones is an unpleasant man and apparently so are half the England team.

Wow, that’s quite a statement. Would you like to run through each players unpleasantness, so we know exactly what you are inferring?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

(Do we need a new thread to discuss the rest of the year’s rugby?)

peteimpreza

We should have a new thread

peteimpreza

Arigatōgozaimashita Japan

An awesome tournament, probably the best so far.

ElShalimo

Nah….  Leave all the bitterness in one place

molgrips
    Free Member

Would you like to run through each players unpleasantness, so we know exactly what you are inferring?

No as it’s clearly an impression not a quantitative assessment.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,521 through 2,560 (of 2,576 total)

The topic ‘Rugby World Cup Thread 2019’ is closed to new replies.