Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,576 total)
  • Rugby World Cup Thread 2019
  • Kryton57

Yay.  Can we have a better next 40 though, I suspect Wales will, so it’s ours to lose.

anagallis_arvensis

Shite!

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Wales look rusty and off pace – back to our usual starts then. Let’s see what happens in the 2nd half. Will we do our usual of getting back up to speed after 40 mins and england switch off? I do hope so. I hope anscombe is ok too. I missed why curry came off – what happened?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Curry looked maybe like a shoulder?

He’s a nailed on starter for me so won’t be risked at all.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

England have played well here, especially for such a scratch team.

Wales have not, especially given the established nature of the team. Very poor.

anagallis_arvensis

Wales off the pace from the start, look lethargic. Shite.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Solid win against the number two team in the world 😎

anagallis_arvensis

England 2nds the best in the world again which is nice.

Kryton57

What CFH said.  Watson back in for sure, Ludlum looks good as bench/replacement player but needs to look after his 10,  Genge was good.  Francis won’t be there.  Anyway what can you say, we just beat the supposed no 1 team in the world without a full strength team – happy days.

Agreed as above, Daley should not be at 15, cheeky drop goal aside.

DanW
    Free Member

Whilst everyone seemed to be thinking England wouldn’t stand a chance… I was thinking to myself that this looks very much like a style of England side we haven’t seen since the tour to Argentina and that turned out very nicely for them. Shows the value of half backs and centres that can distribute the ball and actually read a game combined with a pack and game plan that actually makes the most of its bulk with some fresh names with a point to prove. What is disappointing (if I were English) is you know full well Jones will go back to a stodgey style play and pick the team based on names rather than form or what they actually offer.

On another note, what did JJ do to pee off Jones in the past?

Kryton57

Actually Dan W I did think through the game that they seemed to have reverted to a typically English style of Rugby with some added flair in the backs.   Oddly, this is what Jones said he came to do in the beginning, so has he spent all these years experiment with “clever” stuff only to revert to plan A?

I’d be happier to see England play like this than the “lead in the first 20, lost in the final 40” which which happened previously.

So what happens next week?  Does Jones put out the full team with the expectation of showing Wales who’s who in Cardiff knowing thats all they have, or does he continue to experiment?  I’d expect an improved Welsh team at home, so there’s statements to be made from either team.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I see Eddie has waded in to the Barrett red card situation (It was as clear a red as the guidelines can make it!).

Almost as if he’s trying to say, “Now look, mate, that was a perfectly legal tackle. At least I hope it was, because it’s the only way Owen knows how to tackle and if it’s going to be reffed properly he’ll be off the park ten minutes in to the first pool game…”

Kryton57

I imagine Cips will be hoping thats the case 😀

DanW
    Free Member

“Typical England” was how they closed out the game but not having Farrell in the side gave them a lot more options in attack and a subtlety they’ve lacked with nothing lost in defence. Who knew a play making 10 could be useful? 🙂 Billy V is massive to this England side… even if he did get handed off by a 9 😀 They look a completely different team when he’s in, almost regardless of who else is selected around him

Tom-B
    Free Member

Keeping the Vunipola’s fit is key…. Mako gets through a ridiculous amount of work too. Disagree about the Farrell comments though. It’s all well and good Ford looking great with a load of front foot ball and a team with no obvious defence….. Come crunch time games are going to be a lot tighter, defences a lot tougher and kicking tactics will be much more crucial. Ford was poor kicking from hand today.

DanW
    Free Member

Therin lies the dilemma 😉 Depends how well your crystal ball is working to foresee the kind of games that will crop up in Japan. That kind of comment always crops up whenever anyone but Farrell is playing, yet the likes of Ford always seem to deliver and get the most out of the big pack. It’s a bit of a circular argument on both sides of the discussion though. Place kicking of course the other factor.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Point taken. Ford’s place kicking was much better than usual today, they were mainly pretty routine kicks though.

Highlights are currently on bbc2 for those that didn’t catch it.

anagallis_arvensis

I would draw too many drastic conclusions re England as Wales were ****!!

tinybits
    Free Member

Only caught the highlights so unsure how the two teams actually played but I sure lived the result! Simply can’t work out why jones is naming the squad tomorrow, and he said he’s decided on the team before any of the games so it’ll be flogging the team to death and no hope for the youngsters (or old imported scrum half’s)

On another note, what did JJ do to pee off Jones in the past?

Injury I think – been bad for a good season. Same as Watson.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah JJ had a dip in form then injuries/and post Lions hangover in the last 18 months or so….. Good to see him looking sharp again. Manu and Slade in the centres for me though. Watson at 15, then the competition on the wing is ridiculous. Nowell, May, Cokanasiga, Daly. All with different strengths….. Personally I’d go Daly and Cokanasiga which is probably the least likely combo.

dantsw13

Next weekend will be interesting now, certainly.

Kryton57

I’d go May and Cokanasiga if Farrell is 10, Daly in if Ford is on the field.  The team needs a backup kicker if Ford has to play on the back foot.  Watson for sure at 15.

I think the logic of naming the team early is so that it takes away the chat / nervous buildup and allows the actual team to focus and gel in before they travel.

anagallis_arvensis

Cokanasiga looks quite poor in defence, better teams will expose him.

DanW
    Free Member

Also butchered a chance in the first half a big man like him should be cruising in and by his reaction he knew it.

I would draw too many drastic conclusions re England as Wales were ****!!

The only conclusion I can ever draw watching England is that they could put out about 3 different sides and 3 different styles of rugby with the talent they have but the only thing holding them back is EJ… but that isn’t news

At least Wales were so bad it can be written off and look ahead. Being good but coming unstuck would have been awful 😀

anagallis_arvensis

Yeah its almost comical that Englands 2nds put in such a good shift and leave selection up in the air again….Wales dont have any selection dilemmas really, just need to up the intensity by about 240 000%

tjagain

So Scotland play France next week. any predictions?

The only one I will make in the Toonbola will throw up some odd selections. Watson at 12?

Tom-B
    Free Member

We really are back to the classic “god only knows which French team will turn up”. French rugby is just mental. The Top 14 kicked off this weekend just gone ffs?! …..and pictures from their training showed the national team carp fishing 😂

Genuinely not a clue what to expect.

IdleJon

Yeah its almost comical that Englands 2nds put in such a good shift and leave selection up in the air again….Wales dont have any selection dilemmas really, just need to up the intensity by about 240 000%

Yep. England 2nds were playing for their positions. Wales were playing not to get injured or red-carded, or anything stupid that would keep them out of RWC.

Notice that Wales did absolutely nothing that would give other teams a hint of how they’ll play in six weeks?

At this point these games don’t benefit anyone – it was as meaningless as any game could possibly be.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Blinkered as I no doubt am, I didn’t think Wales were that bad. Agree with:

Yep. England 2nds were playing for their positions. Wales were playing not to get injured or red-carded, or anything stupid that would keep them out of RWC.

Notice that Wales did absolutely nothing that would give other teams a hint of how they’ll play in six weeks?

Also as said, England have an abundance of decent players, they could put out a number of teams that could hold their own, particularly at Twickenham.

As for France v Scotland I’ll go for 35:18

Kryton57

England RWC squad announced, no real suprises:

Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 86 caps) **
    Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 12 caps)
    Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 11 caps)
    Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 10 caps)
    Jamie George (Saracens, 37 caps) *
    Maro Itoje (Saracens, 27 caps)
    George Kruis (Saracens, 32 caps) *
    Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 59 caps) *
    Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 72 caps) **
    Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 1 cap)
    Joe Marler (Harlequins, 58 caps) *
    Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 22 caps)
    Jack Singleton (Saracens, 1 cap)
    Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 9 caps)
    Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 42 caps) *
    Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 53 caps) *
    Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons / Sale Sharks, 13 caps)

Backs
    Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 5 caps)
    Elliot Daly (Saracens, 31 caps)
    Owen Farrell (Saracens, 70 caps) *
    George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 56 caps) *
    Piers Francis (Northampton Saints, 5 caps)
    Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 1 cap)
    Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 41 caps) *
    Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 45 caps) *
    Ruaridh McConnochie (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
    Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 33 caps) *
    Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 22 caps) *
    Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 33 caps) *
    Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 34 caps) *
    Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 86 caps) **

Tom-B
    Free Member

Heinz looked okay on Sunday, but 1 cap going into a RWC in a position that means he’ll likely be involved in every game, utter joke. We’re weak at hooker if anything happens to George.

Genuinely no idea what Piers Francis adds, bloke isn’t even Prem quality imo! Plentyof options at centre with Daly Nowell etc so I’d have prefered to see another 9 going on tour. McConnichie is a very strange pick too imo.

Otherwise as expected really, although I thought that maybe Williams would have gone instead of Cole.

Edit. Just realised that Ludlam is in instaed of Shields….great call imo.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anscombe out.

FFS

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ah man, gutted…..always a shame when pivotal players miss out through injury.

tjagain

Piers Francis was the Edinburgh 10 for a season. He was then injured for a season, he was then let go for being rubbish. We played without a p-roper 10 for a season and a half. Basically he was so crap that we were better off playing without a recognised 10 than with him.

Tom-B
    Free Member

That’s twice in two days we’ve had that story TJ….and neither time has it lifted my mood!

When are the other home nations due to announce their squads then?

gauss1777
    Free Member

Losing Anscombe is a bummer, he’d been looking better/more dangerous every game. What should Wales do now?

anagallis_arvensis

What should Wales do now?

Pray Biggar doesnt get injured and dont expect to create anything much.

DanW
    Free Member

Where is Patchell’s fitness up to at the moment- I’ve lost track of his various misfortunes 🙁

Kryton57

Agreed on Piers Francis, odd that.  Ludlam showed agility and hunger that Shields never seem to for me, good call for a hungry player.  He’ll be in tears again knowing he put himself out there and earned himself the right to play in the 2019 RWC, good for him.

Other players can still be only a plane ride away if needed…

Shame about Anscombe, we all want to go into this with ours and the oppos best teams regardless of the outcome.

anagallis_arvensis

Where is Patchell’s fitness up to at the moment- I’ve lost track of his various misfortunes

Patchel is fit, had issues with concussion and hasnt regained any form. I really rate him but not sure the world cup is the place to play yourself back in Jarrod Evans is talented but this world cup is too soon.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,576 total)

The topic ‘Rugby World Cup Thread 2019’ is closed to new replies.