Viewing 16 posts - 2,561 through 2,576 (of 2,576 total)
  • Rugby World Cup Thread 2019
  • charliemort

yeah that’s got me too. I don’t think you can bandy around that sort of statement then walk away and say it’s just an impression.

I can see Farrell not be too popular, Itoje possibly as well. Other than that no-one springs to mind

Kryton57

News says Eddies staying to 2021 but the team is “Done” an the six nations will be the start of a rebuild to the next RWC.  Interestingly had came out with all this the first time around and I didn’t believe him, I thought it was spin around the losses at the time.

Seems that’s now Jones MO, but how he knows what style of rugby will potentially win the RWC in 2023 I’ve no idea.

hooli

The pundits and press seem to have turned on the England team, last week we were looking at history in the making, the finest England team ever…Now they are being ripped to shreds and calling for players and coaches to be sacked. Pretty harsh, especially so soon after the loss with emotions still running high.

One interesting thing that I hadn’t noticed until it popped up on the World Cup FB feed is the teams on-field reaction to the loss.

Most of the players wouldn’t wear their medals, were not particularly gracious in the interviews and generally had a bit of a sulk on. I guess they worked bloody hard for 4 years, sacrificed a huge amount and believed they could win so being disappointed is natural.

But then they showed pictures of NZ in the 3rd/4th place game and they all had their bronze medals on, were posing for photos with officials and there was an interview where they praised the officials and people of Japan for hosting such a fantastic world cup while dealing with a natural disaster.

Not sure if that has to do with the age of the players, culture of the team or what? Perhaps it is a story over nothing but it did make me think.

tjagain

hooli

I sort of understand the disappointment they had but being gracious in defeat costs nothing and looks good.

I think the real issue is that they thought themselves too good for runners up and that all feeds back into the arrogance a lot of us dislike around england rugby

I actually think england played well and did better than I expected them to. But its a nasty edge around English rugby that needs to be stamped out. ” too good for the 6N” remember?

duckman

I can see Farrell not be too popular, Itoje possibly as well. Other than that no-one springs to mind

Marler with his remarks to Lee and especially Billy VP for his support of Falou. Itoje isn’t a knob, he is young and seemed to go through a wee while of clapping and shoving other players when his side got a penalty. He stopped it after the Euro tie with Glasgow when he got his nose broken. I am sure that the two incidents were unconnected. For me it isn’t the players, human beings in not being perfect shocker.I have no issues with lots of ink and film being devoted to England as they were in the final, it is stuff like Dawson’s tweet, it is the demands for clarification from the IRB ( SUPPOSED to be done privately but any time it costs England it is leaked) of rules in the aftermath. It is dilly Dally seeing injustices in EVERY play when he is “commentating.” Not all of the above is out of the RFU’s control.

Kryton57

Even I thought the England attitude to second in the world was disingenuous.  Farrells post match interview was arrogant, selfish and like a sulking child.   He should have congratulated SA and thanked Japan as team Captain, but never did.

I watched a bunch of 11yo’s smash each other then share more humility over a hotdog together yesterday.

tjagain

I have no issue with Itoje.

The saracens / Glasgow games he took a lot of flack for but what most folk did not see is he had Ryan Wilson winding him up continuously and I think he actually learnt from it as acting the git made him less effective. Wilson is nowhere near the player Itoje is but Itoje getting caught up in it all meant Wilson nullified him

anagallis_arvensis

In other news I bought my son a blue scrum cap, the next Tipuric is in progress!

duckman

Doesn’t always work A-A. Mine was black and Josh Kronfield I wasn’t.

w00dster

A_A and Duckman, I was similar. I decided not to grow past 5 foot 9 to emulate Phil Waugh and Neil Back – unfortunately it didn’t work for me and I ended up more like Jeff Probyn!

anagallis_arvensis

Doesn’t always work A-A. Mine was black and Josh Kronfield I wasn’t.

I didnt have a scrum cap and neither did Michael Jones…thats where the comparison ends!!!

mefty
    Free Member

He should have congratulated SA and thanked Japan as team Captain, but never did.

He did both those things in his post match interview on the pitch.

It is hardly unique for players not to want to wear their medals when they have lost a final, the Australians were much the same at the end of the 2015 final, you see it all the time in Soccer, Cricket etc.

bigblackshed

I started to wear a scrum cap because I hated having to have my head stitched up. I could have stopped lying on the wrong side of rucks and generally cheating at the breakdown, which in turn would have solved the problem of being aggressively rucked.

It also meant I could hear anything, which surprisingly didn’t lower my ability or effect my complete lack of talent. I always worked from a low base in that regard.

duckman

I didnt have a scrum cap and neither did Michael Jones

In my defence a big ginger Blackheath second row put 14 stitches in my head with a stamp, so had to for a couple of years.

gauss1777
    Free Member

the next Tipuric is in progress!

Or the next Rhys Carre?
    I was disappointed when he wore a blue scrum cap in the last game. They should wear different colours to make it easier on simple folk like me : )

anagallis_arvensis

Or the next Rhys Carre?

He is certainly not built to be a prop!!

Viewing 16 posts - 2,561 through 2,576 (of 2,576 total)

The topic ‘Rugby World Cup Thread 2019’ is closed to new replies.