Home Forums Bike Forum PSAs that may or may not be amazing enough to warrant their own thread

• This topic has 2,748 replies, 481 voices, and was last updated 12 hours ago by mashr.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,641 through 2,680 (of 2,749 total)
  • PSAs that may or may not be amazing enough to warrant their own thread
    hellothisistom

Does anyone ride in the carharrt work trousers posted above ? Looking for some winter trousers that are a bit warmer in the wet

alric
    Free Member

its worth checking the size/diameter for the heads  in case you want to buy more/differnt ones

captaintomo
    Free Member

Was in Evans the other day and quite a few bargains to be had especially on their own brand stuff. I think there were also some FiveTens knocking about for about £25 but only on some sizes.

easygirl

I’ve got a pair of those for work, don’t think they would be any good for riding , the double fronted material will make them heavy when wet

bigginge

I’ve also got a few pairs of carharrt trousers and I wouldn’t want to wear any of them for anything more than popping to the shop on the bike.

if you want something to keep you warm over winter these have worked fairly well for me. Though I do wish they had some pockets on them somewhere.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mtb-winter-biking-bottoms-expl-500-black/_/R-p-305555

b33k34

@hellothisistom

Re the Carhartts (if they’re the double front canvas) they’re truly horrible to ride in.  Wide on lower leg so catch on chain.  No stretch.  Very heavy if they get wet and the bulky crotch seams rub.   (I wear them for work but won’t ride to jobs in them any more)

I really like Rev Race Nordwand Pros (as a ‘not cycle specific trouser that are great to ride in’).  Stretch knees and arse mean they cope with pedaling motion really well. But they’re not in the least bit waterproof.  Some kind of ‘soft shell’ version (ie not seam sealed) would be good but haven’t found that yet.

ogden
    Free Member

WD40 drivetrain cleaner £4.25.

Alternative to Muc Off chain cleaner and half the price at the moment.

https://amzn.eu/d/d3qgVpl

drlex
    Free Member

If you can tolerate shopping at SD and their returns system if required, they have Nukeproof blacklines in large for £33 plus postage.
    https://www.sportsdirect.com/nukeproof-blackline-mens-trail-pants-333258

Nukeproof product page for sizing and detail:
    Blackline Trail Pants

The longer-legged rider will need large and then cinch the waist to suit.

ernielynch

Though I do wish they had some pockets on them somewhere.

The pictures in your link does show at least one large pocket but I think two.

5lab
    Free Member

So this is interesting.

Since we stickied this thread our revenue from affiliate sales has dropped by almost half. The reason as far as we can ascertain is because there are no longer forum topics being posted that include the name of the item/deal/offer and so fewer people are clicking.

So, I’d like to run an experiment and ask everyone to post a fresh topic for each PSA that you come across. As before if you spot a great offer you want to share with everyone start your post with ‘PSA: ‘

I’ll temporarily close this topic for a few weeks so we can see if there’s any difference. If it’s all purely coincidental that the number of outgoing affiliated clicks from the forum seems to correlate with the time this thread was stickied then I’ll open it up again.

Cheers All.

Mark

@Mark
    – I wonder if the issue with this thread is in the name – I was chatting to my wife the other night and she has no idea what the accronym “PSA” means and I also had to explain how it related to biking bargins. People who use the forums a lot might understand/follow the thread (knowing the tradition of PSA = bargin), but the title possibly means that more casual users skip over it because its not entirely obvious

wzzzz
    Free Member

Public Service Announcement

alan1977
    Free Member

Kinesis have a discount on their FF29 hardtail frames, 600 down to 390 ATM

I don’t know much about it, but looks like a good all rounder, 29er, 140mm fork, 65.5 HA,  Single Speedable

Kinesis FF29 Frame, Orange – Kinesis Bikes

and Frame and Fork offers for little over 700

Cougar

I was chatting to my wife the other night and she has no idea what the accronym “PSA” means and I also had to explain how it related to biking bargins.

It’s perfectly understandable that someone might not know what PSA means, but it’s no more a STW-exclusive term than “LOL” is.  It probably dates back to Usenet.

rOcKeTdOg

PSA is Prostate specific antigen at work, imagine my disappointment opening those emails every day

5lab
    Free Member

It’s perfectly understandable that someone might not know what PSA means, but it’s no more a STW-exclusive term than “LOL” is. It probably dates back to Usenet.

right – there’s 2 possible disconnects
    1. that PSA means “public service annoucement”
    2. that public service annoucements are (in STW terms) specifically bargin bike bits that save\cost you a tonne of cash

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

any ladies, children or men with small feet near stockport the pear mill adi factory had lots of five ten spd’s for £10 size 6.5 was largest.

drewd

Superstar Components are doing their Nana Evo 2.0 pedals at 35% off with code NANOXXX. Takes them from £75 to £48.75, which seems reasonable for a UK made aluminium pedal to me. I’m running a couple of pairs of the Nano Evo and have been happy with them.

Nano Evo 2.0

nbt

any ladies, children or men with small feet near stockport the pear mill adi factory had lots of five ten spd’s for £10 size 6.5 was largest.

Oh, did they have any non-spd versions for flat pedallers? We went to Pear Mill on Sunday but didn;t bob into the shop, needed to get home for lunch

jeffl

Gutted, just tried that Vocation discount code and it’s not working any more :-(

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@nbt, i think just spd, the purple grey blue , had a google hellcat/kestral

my brother saw them, he didnt really know what was avaialble, but sent me a pic of those

R.lepecha

35% off at Unite.co right now. Pedals, stems, chainrings. All UK made.

Home

Screenshot_20240912-064815

ogden
    Free Member

Also, Unite appear to have gone back to Anodizing, alongside Cerakote, which was most peoples main gripe with them.

bentudder

That’s nice for Unite. I went on the site to have a look: if I’m in Sweden, the Shimano oval chainrings are 44.43 Euros. In the UK, 53.31 Euros. How does that work? They’re made in the UK, but are cheaper to buy from Sweden? Seems a bit weird, if you ask me.

Rubber_Buccaneer

How does that work?

20% VAT in the UK.  On delivery in Sweden you’d maybe have VAT and duty to pay on top.

chakaping

the Shimano oval chainrings are 44.43 Euros. In the UK, 53.31 Euros. How does that work?

Not exactly a PSA, but just to say that Works Components chainrings are £40 as standard, and they are a nice honest company to deal with IME.

Rich_s

the Shimano oval chainrings are 44.43 Euros. In the UK, 53.31 Euros. How does that work?

Well, it’s never going to be a nice round number.

R.lepecha

Also, Unite appear to have gone back to Anodizing, alongside Cerakote, which was most peoples main gripe with them.

Yeah. They still Cerakote, which is done in house I gather, where anodising is outsourced.

I ordered a 31.8mm anodised stem from them a few weeks back, it’s a nice bit of kit.

bens
    Free Member

Topcashback have a £2 bonus on today

bentudder

20% VAT in the UK.  On delivery in Sweden you’d maybe have VAT and duty to pay on top.

Ah – I forgot about the Brexit effect. Awesome! And yes, 44.42 /5 X 6 does indeed come to 53.31. Slightly tempted to get it shipped to a Nordic pal. It does indeed look like very nice stuff.

jonba
    Free Member

Some good reductions on the Altura site

Sale

ley_line
    Free Member

Alpkit’s bi-monthly sale is back on. I’m looking at getting some hiking poles to help save my knees on longer days. Does anyone have a dividend that they don’t need?

jkomo

Very nice road bike at PX for a grand:
    https://planetx.co.uk/products/holdsworth-corsa-disc-sram-rival-22-carbon-road-bike?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=campaign&utm_campaign=September%2520Deals%2520-%2520Corsa%2520at%2520%C2%A3999%252F7%2520Day%2520deals%2520Launch%2520-%252017%252F09&_kx=B2-64mhIi7dIW8PILYsys6jrlHjj5lg2hQnLMM20zvA.TCWEFQ

My mate has one and it’s fantastic. Rival hydro possibly more reliable than Ultegra as well.
    We’ve been watching the price for a friend of a friend and this is the lowest it’s been, and was great value at £1300.
    Now £999

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@ley_line  dividends due next month, i’m keenly waiting to buy a Ti seatpost :0)

just checked my account only got a review discount you are welcome to

£5 off when you spend over £10 online or in-store:    MBR*TZ34MR80
    <!– [if !supportLineBreakNewLine]–>
    <!–[endif]–>

charlie.farley

Mark’s Recommended waterproof trousers in the latest singletrack review are available with a chunky discount
    ~~~~~
    £45 in all sizes, reduced from £120

~~~~~
    free delivery over £50 and free returns, all sizes currently available in green or black 

IMG_8683

flyingmonkeycorps

Anyone know what the sizing is like on those Spada troosers?

Del

There’s a size guide on the spada site. ;-)

nuke

There’s a size guide on the spada site. ;-)

There is but you know that’s not really the question flyingmonkey is asking

So is the sizing true to size? Id like to know too as they look a bargain

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah, what he said. The M is 32-34″ and the L is 36-38″, I’m kinda in the middle of those.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,641 through 2,680 (of 2,749 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.