Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 689 total)
  • PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150
  • Leigh2612
    Free Member

DMC…what size is a med in cms?

wicki
    Free Member

I just flat bared mine to I find it far more fun.

dmc
    Free Member

Leigh2612

Believe it’s the equivalent of a 54cm

Dc

agraves
    Free Member

People with SKS mudguards: how did you fit the rear guard to the brake bridge?

Not sure whether to drill a hole in the guard and screw it into the bottom, which I’ve done before on a Kaffenback. That worked but the guard snapped there soon after.

morph027
    Free Member

I just drilled a hole and put a solid washer under the screw which should protect the plastic a bit ….

jeff

@wicki grew to hate the midges so have bought some Salsa Cowbell off of Charlie the Bikemonger – much nicer!

ads678

Took mine out to the pyrenees the other week.

I like the midge bars.

Hi guys, what size rotors are you using on your builds? If you’re not using an adaptor. Thanks

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

160mm rotors front and rear on mine (Spyres). More than enough power.

cchris2lou

Bought DMC frameset and would like advice on the wheels .

current cyclocross wheels have Tufo tubulars but would like to swap the rims to run wider tubuless tyres for road and off road .

what are people recommendations for tubeless 700cc rims , able to take wide tyres ? would 29er mtb rims be ok ?

also what about mudguards ?

dmc
    Free Member

I’m running the stans grail rims reasonably wide tubeless compatible will take over 100 psi. Did run the stans mtb rims prior to the grail but when I put anything over 75psi the tyre would blow off.

Dc

thepeginator
    Free Member

@cchris2lou 29er wheels/rims will work fine as long as the rear axel spacing is 135mm and both wheels are QR not thru-axel. The London Road has such silly tyre clearance you probably could actually use some MTB tyres on it if you wanted to. A light weight set of 29er wheels would probably be well suited for CX I’d imagine.

cchris2lou

thanks for the replies .

will borrow some 29er wheels to try .

thepeginator
    Free Member

Let us know how you get on and take some pictures if you can. I’m sure there are plenty of people who would be interested to hear/see how you get on.

jeff

Got 29er WTB speed disk i23 rims on mine with wtb 40c nano CX tyres. Lots of clearance.

sq225917
    Free Member

We’ve just released a gravel version with WTB rims and 40mm Nano’s.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What size seatpost? (approx?)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

What size seatpost? (approx?)

all L-R seatpost sizes are only approx 😉

duckman

I am running Crossrides on my dirty Disco.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

thepeginator
    Free Member

Finally got my london road frame built up, size small. Built it up as a ‘year round’ road bike with a mix of sram force shifting, shimano chainset/casette and bb7 brakes. Wheels are a hand built set of Pacenti SL25 rims on Novatec 711/712 hubs laced 28/28 2x with sapim race spokes, tyres are Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather 25s, which took some work to get on the rims but I think I’ve got the hang on getting the tyres on tubeless rims now – it’s so important to keep the bead in the well of the rim whilst fitting. SPD pedals, fizik airone saddle, ritchey bars/stem and PX seatpost, which I’ll change for a carbon one at somepoint. It weighed 9.2kg before I put the pedals on, which I’m pretty happy with for an alloy frame disc brake bike!

Just need some mudguards, I’m looking at SKS Longoards? and possibly a different stem for the fit. Any recommendations on best mudguards SKS seem to be the de facto standard, but they do a few models?

I’ll try and take some better pictures at some point.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I have sks chromoplastic p45 on mine, with 35mm tyres.

The matt black bluemels look good but seem to have a reputation for cracking?
    Otherwise, i’d stick with sks chromoplastic or longboards if you want the extra coverage. P35 if you won’t run tyres bigger than 28mm.

They are surprisingly heavy at around 500g, but that’s pretty normal for proper ‘guards.

richardthird

Similar to HH above, SKS Chromo 45 on 38c Compass Barlow Pass Extralight.

And on that subject, now you’ve got MASSIVE clearance why on earth run 25s?

Massive (but still light and fast) tyres, low pressure & tubeless are Sublime, and you can ride ’em anywhere.

thepeginator
    Free Member

Because I’m a racer at heart 😀 and to my arse, this bike already feels ridiculously comfy! I didn’t buy the bike for the clearance oddly, I just bought it because it was a – reportedly – good qualit alloy frame and carbon fork, had rack/mudguard eyes and was only £150… the disc brakes and massive clearance were a bonus really!

If I was going to go touring or do a lot of riding on cobbles etc I’d probably size up to 28s but I just don’t see the need to go any bigger. My steel single speed that I commute on has 23s and I don’t find that uncomfortable even! Certainly not on for commuting distances anyway.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Anyone happen to be selling a London Road frameset? Medium or large

Saccades
    Free Member

Got one last week – followed a link on a forum and managed to get a hydro rival version, which doesn’t appear for me on the PX website normally (different tyre/bar tape etc options too), half expected it to be cancelled tbh.

Has been tweaked a bit since that “lashed together out of the box” photo, with the bars and saddle (hard, but surprisingly comfy) in a much better position.

Got an XL despite being 5’11” as my back is falling apart – hopefully this will allow me to ride for a lot longer.

I have only 2 gripes (apart from crossthreading a bottlecage hole :fume: but that was me) is that for a bike that is heavily pushed as a commuter there were no reflectors (I know most people take them off straight away but I’ll have to pop to a shop and get some) and there are quite a few holes here and there that I would have liked with a bolt in (guard mounts in forks for a start).

I’ve juggled some around, the rounded bottle cage ones work nicely in the forks and seatstays.

cookeaa

Anyone running square taper cranks with their LR? If so What size axle are you using?

The old HT2 Hone cranks I originally fitted are a bit knackered and being MTB cranks feel quite wide to me now for use on a drop bared bike.

But I still want to run 1xn with a N/W ring, and as there seems to be more choice in 4 hole 104 BCD than 5 hole 110 BCD I’ve decided to try some “old school” square taper MTB cranks so I can play with shorter axles…

Just won some NOS LX cranks for buttons on fleabay and now debating BB axle length, 107 should clear the stays… right? Anyone?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

OK, finally, My London Road is built 🙂

It was a cheapie build, with Sora, BB5 brakes, some cheap Shimano wheels I found in Germany, and the rest from the parts bin or eBay. It weighs 11.1kg with pedals.

I know the colour scheme will repel most, and the fashion is for understated, cool bikes, but I’m too old to care!

Oh yes, and I know, I know it’s a triple. What can I say? It’s a go-anywhere bike, and there is some very steep terrain around here!

Right – going to try and get out and ride it in the fog before it gets [even] dark[er].

Saccades
    Free Member

Even your camera lens appears repulsed by the colour combo – or are you hoping the soft focus will help it?

😉

Oddly, I think the contrast works pretty well, prefer it to a myriad of varations on a colour you can sometimes see.

Another 100 miles on mine and I need to reduce the stem length and maybe flip it too.. I’m too stretched out but height feels ok but hard to judge.

Northwind

HoratioHufnagel – Member

The matt black bluemels look good but seem to have a reputation for cracking?

My bluemels (standard black) cracked all over the place, seems to be a pretty brittle plastic 🙁

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Yep it ain’t a great shot…

Mine feels very “upright” compared to my road bike but I’ll do some rough descending on it before I decide to put a longer stem on*

*If I can find a longer stem in gold 😀

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Well, that was a foggy first ride.

1. “Gravel Riding” is all very well for those ‘Muricans. Over here in Yorkshire it’s “Mud and Slimy Cobbles Riding”.

2. I’ll not lie – I’m comparing it to by road bike, so I found it heavy and draggy, but…

3. I loved getting places I’d never take my road bike, and…

4. Those tyres really soak up the bumps and shocks.

5. I’m going to need orthotic cleat wedges (too boring to explain fully) but once I have those, and maybe when it’s less **** foggy, I’ll be getting some expeditions in 🙂

jeff

@cookeaa – got this from PX when I asked :

Hi Jeff

Thank you for your e-mail

It is actually a 68 mm bottom bracket shell

Apologies for the confusion

I would recommend a 113 mm bottom bracket

Kind regards,
    Borys

philwarren11
    Free Member

I’m seriously tempted with getting one of these, possibly frame only and build one up parts bin style.

What BB does it take? If its a press fit i’ll forget ever getting one. lol.

richardthird

68mm BSI, so road HTII or anything except pressfit yay!

philwarren11
    Free Member

Awesome news. Need to get a list of bits sorter then. Never built a road(ish) bike before.

philwarren11
    Free Member

I can see me getting annoying on this thread now asking questions.

I got a load of mtb parts in the parts bin, could i use my old 9 speed stuff on this? I have a shimano 3×9 long cage mech and trips front mech and a 11-32 9 speed cassette and chain, could this be used somehow?

shermer75
    Free Member

Not sure what a trips mech is but the rest sounds fine to me. The rear dropouts are 135mm O.L.D. So an mtb hub will fit

rudyard197
    Free Member

I run mine with flat bars and a 2×9 SLX groupset nicked off a broken MTB and CX wheels. All works fine. Love it. Got a little fitter so started running out of gears though. May swap to a triple.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I really like that gold covered london road.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 689 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150’ is closed to new replies.