Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 689 total)
  • PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150
  • ads678

Thats bloody shocking from PX/On One. My frame, although a bit dodgy in the seat tube area has been fine but they bloody well do know about the problem as I had an email conversation with them about it as well as the other up there!!

This was my convo with them 19th June 2015:

From me:
    Hi,

I know you have been in discussion with a few customers regarding the London Road Frameset, particularly with regard to the seat tube diameter. I purchased a frameset from you at the beginning of May but once the ‘issue’ was highlighted on the singletrackworld forum (which I think you have been sent links to already!) I checked mine to see if there was any play in the seat tube. Unfortunately I found that there is. Although the seat clamp does hold the seat post in position once tightened.

I am using a ‘Planet X Light Alloy Seat Post 31.6’ & a ‘Planet X Superlight Seatclamp MK2 Titanium 34.9) that I purchased shortly after buying the frame.

I am not asking to return the frame, unless you deem there to be a safety issue, but just want to know where I stand in terms of potential future cracking issues. If the seatpost I am using is too small for the frame or vice versa is the seat tube susceptible to cracking?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this as I do not want to be riding a bike that could have problems but do not want to return the frame for the sake of it.

From them:

Hi Adam

Thank you for your email

We are aware of this issue and are currently discussing how to rectify it. However there has been no recall of the frames as our engineers have deemed it not to be of danger to the frame or the rider using it.

Usually the problem is sorted out by tightening the seat clamp and the added area is negligible.

I must stress that this issue in no way compromises the frames integrity. we have had customers telling us of this issue and they have put a 31.8mm seatpost in and its fine. we are looking into supplying the bike with a 31.8mm seatpost as standard but a decision has yet be made.

I hope this sheds some light on the situation.

Kind regards

Robert

From me:

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Does this mean you have some 31.8 seat post’s in stock, as I am struggling to find many out there at the moment? I don’t think they are a popular size.

From them:

Hi Adam

At the moment we don’t stock any 31.8 mm seatposts, which i do apologise for though they can be found elsewhere.

Most people haven’t felt the need to change seatpost, it’s just something that a couple have customers have reported to us

Again my apologies

Robert

I basically wanted some back up in case it cracked and they started messing about. Like I say though mines been fine, although I did swap the PX post for a thompson.

I’m not sure i’d buy another frame from them now though.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Stop.

just for a *bit* of balance, while it does seem that PlanetX have dropped a clanger on this one, the seat-tube on my Codeine is a perfect size.

Carry on.

nathb
    Free Member

ads678 – Member
    Thats bloody shocking from PX/On One. My frame, although a bit dodgy in the seat tube area has been fine but they bloody well do know about the problem as I had an email conversation with them about it as well as the other up there!!

Very interesting reading, thank you for that!

I know it’s “only” £150, but it’s principle. Mine was creaking like mad, and like you I wanted to cover myself without outlay on it, creaking suggests it was under stress and only a matter of time before it cracked. Then I foresaw the whole “you’ve over-tightened it unlucky” scenario.

Anyway I don’t wish to hijack this thread, buyer beware and all that. 😆

Saccades
    Free Member

Think I’ve bought my last from them, I bought a fully built up LR disc HRD which has a baggy seat tube (their superlight team issue clamp bolt snapped trying to get it tight enough to stop slipping, a steel replacement bolt didn’t snap but still didn’t get it tight enough and I ended up getting a Thomson clamp and that’s worked but the bike doesn’t half creak up hills and the bottle bolt cage rounded stupidly easily. I hindsight I maybe should have gone the warrenty route but I’m in Ireland and the extra hassle/cost at the time didn’t appear worth it.

And I know this sounds petty but I had a massive E-mail conversation about reflectors – I wanted a full set front/rear and for the wheels but they are another ~£20 to buy.

The bike is sold primarily as a commuter and the Law has changed and not having any pedals does not mean it is exempt from the 2010 #198 bike regs update requirements of being supplied with reflectors by law (unless you’re doing competitive events, which I’m not and was never asked about). The update was specifically brought in to stop bikes being sold without bell/reflectors because they had no pedals/not fully built.

A relatively pleasant lady kept reciting the same bit of law I was but coming to a completely different conclusion (although I suspect she hadn’t bothered to read the update) until she admitted that PX don’t have any reflectors to sell to me to make my bike road legal (at night) and then stopped replying.

The mech hanger has also bent as the adjust screws were not set quite right and the chain did a jump into the spokes on my 2nd spin. I’ll have to get around to sourcing a replacement that isn’t £24 to get hold of.

BB was well greased though and it’s been a joy to ride (apart from the first 2 months of sagging seat obviously).

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’ve said it before but the owner and founder said explicitly in an interview (in Rouleur?) that he saw Mike Ashley’s Sports Direct as being a model to aspire to. Selling a defective frame with poor QC, with basics like under BB cable guides sold separately, charging 25 quid for a rear hanger and lying to customers is all entirely consistent with that sort of ethos.

nathb
    Free Member

Interesting article crashtestmonkey

Today marks the 5th week PX have had my bike for.

Still no response since the 26th May, not even a lame response.

Sent off the paperwork to my bank/credit card yesterday. 🙄

scud
    Free Member

Sounds extreme, but go for Small Claims proceedings, you can do it via the Courts website, very easy to do, maybe PX will start to improve when they are faced with a raft of proceedings and costs to pay to the Court, they might have the courtesy to respond to people.

I’ve had my fill from them from defective Scandal frame, a Holdswoth SS frame where the paint literally falls off, an Inbred frame where seat stays were bent in transit and they said they i had never sent them a defective Reverb, despite having a signature there from a member of staff provided by Royal Mail which took them 5 months to admit they’d lost it.

Amazing how quick they responded when i sent a copy of the Small Claims proceedings i was going to send to the Court the next day for issuing.

nathb
    Free Member

scud – Member
    Sounds extreme, but go for Small Claims proceedings

That’ll be the next point of call if the bank doesn’t reverse the charge.

On the phone they seem pretty confident they’ll take the case up, which is excellent as it’s taken barely any effort – 20 mins.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m no fan of P-X, but wasn’t this “Sports Direct” comment just in reference to owning the brands you sell, rather than employing everyone on zero hours contracts and so on?
    https://rouleur.cc/journal/bicycles/planet-x-brand-interview-history

Anyway, hope you get your money back NathB!

shermer75
    Free Member

Very interesting article that! 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – Member
    I’m no fan of P-X, but wasn’t this “Sports Direct” comment just in reference to owning the brands you sell, rather than employing everyone on zero hours contracts and so on?
    https://rouleur.cc/journal/bicycles/planet-x-brand-interview-history

Anyway, hope you get your money back NathB!

Thanks!

I think the article was mention as that’s who he looks up to – the sports direct owner.

the00
    Free Member

Ordered 3 weeks ago when they were £140. First frame arrived in a box with ‘FAO RETURNS’ written in it – not a good sign. The frame had a fairly loose seattube, and some minor cosmetic marks. I sent some photos and they offered £15 off or an exchange. I accepted the exchange, which was collected FOC. The replacement frame arrived a week later, and is fine. I’m now part way through the build and looking forward to my first ride.

I wonder if they keep trying to shift the dodgy stuff under the radar, and 50% of the time it works.

Initially I was very disappointed.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Horatio, I wasn’t insinuating poor employment practices, but their business model and the contempt it shows for the consumer. Buy up bankrupt heritage brand names and use them to label cheap poor quality tat notionally heavily discounted, but from a BS fictional rrp.

And a nice example from the00, they can’t even be arsed to re-box a defective return they’re re-selling, and generously offer a 15 quid discount (so less than it’ll cost them to pay shipping on the return and the replacement). Stay classy, planet X.

coomber
    Free Member

Im no on one fanboy (although a happy parkwood owner) but how do we know it’s that frame returned in that box? I’d like to think they reuse boxes in which case they should be applauded rather than wasting the planets resources and their own money on a new box each time. More companies should do that.

ransos
    Free Member

Im no on one fanboy (although a happy parkwood owner) but how do we know it’s that frame returned in that box?

It had a loose seatpost and cosmetic damage? Mind you, they’re quite happy to sell them like that, it seems.

scotroutes

The frames will be boxed up in the Far East at the factory. I’m not seeing why a new frame would come in an old box (though there are always exceptions – ex-display models etc)

nathb
    Free Member

I’ve just received a response from PX:

Apologies for you not having a reply sooner, so our warranty team asked me to contact you regarding your London Road frameset.

Further to Alex’s email, we were unable to replicate the creaking with just the frame, hence the conclusion with the seat clamp.

I’ve looked at your 3 suggestions and the best I can do on an RT90D frame would be £300, alternately we could do a new London Road (in any colour) for £125.

We wouldn’t advise putting a shim in the frameset with a smaller diameter seat pin. Due to the time since purchase, we would not offer a refund on this frameset.

If you can let me know how you would like to proceed, I’ll make the arrangements.

Excellent.

scotroutes

Due to the time since purchase, we would not offer a refund on this frameset.

😯

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

As above their frames will be shipped in the box they came from China in, the idea they are re using boxes in an environmentally friendly manner is laughable. Theyve punted out a returned frame in the box it went out and came back in.

You might want to remind them of Dave Loughran’s “Churchillian” speech quoted in the Rouleur article

Growth’s the wrong word, we’re on an excellence strategy. We want to make excellent products, deliver excellent customer service and generally be excellent’.”

ROFL.

Get them to measure the seat tube – are they suggesting it’s not defective, or that your use made the tube go baggy?!

Northwind

That’s outstanding isn’t it. Is this all right- 4 month old bike, and you raised the issue 2 months ago, they’ve had the bike for 5 weeks, and they say “due to the time since purchase, we wouldn’t offer a refund”. Now we know why they’ve been so slow to handle it I suppose.

nathb
    Free Member

According to the Consumer Rights Act, and my credit card company, I’ve got 6 months?

The first six months

If you discover the fault within the first six months from purchase, it is presumed to have been there since the time of purchase – unless the retailer can prove otherwise.

During this time it’s up to retailer to prove that the fault wasn’t there at the point of purchase – it’s not up to you to prove that it was.

If an attempt at repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund or price reduction – if you wish to keep the product.

No deduction can be made from a refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement.

The only exception to this rule is motor vehicles where a reasonable reduction may be made for the use you’ve already had of the vehicle after the first 30 days.

If you’d prefer to keep the goods in question you can request an appropriate price reduction.

Since they are refusing to repair.

the00
    Free Member

Re-used boxes is a definate possabilty. My 2nd frame arrived in a totally different box size / shape / labels, and had been opened once and then taped closed again. I was little worried before I opened the box tbh. I made sure to make a note of the frame number of the frame that I returned, but the 2nd one was clearly different.

zilog6128

According to the Consumer Rights Act, and my credit card company, I’ve got 6 months?

correct – additionally after the 6 months passes you have up to 6 years to make a claim against faulty manufacturing (although in this case the burden falls upon you to prove it). I wouldn’t imagine that would be too difficult though – unless they are going to accuse you of removing the tube, welding in a new baggy one and having it repainted!

MSE site is very good for this sort of stuff.

Northwind

In fairness, reused boxes could just mean that the original box was damaged in transit. Though in the00’s case it really does sound like someone else’s return. Odds that they’ll send it out to someone else in the hope they won’t notice or mind? 1/1.

nathb
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Member

correct – additionally after the 6 months passes you have up to 6 years to make a claim against faulty manufacturing (although in this case the burden falls upon you to prove it). I wouldn’t imagine that would be too difficult though – unless they are going to accuse you of removing the tube, welding in a new baggy one and having it repainted!
    MSE site is very good for this sort of stuff.

Good, as I’ve just quoted that in my response haha.

I’ve been using which? http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act#the-first-six-months

philxx1975
    Free Member

That’s outstanding isn’t it. Is this all right- 4 month old bike, and you raised the issue 2 months ago, they’ve had the bike for 5 weeks, and they say “due to the time since purchase, we wouldn’t offer a refund”. Now we know why they’ve been so slow to handle it I suppose.

The clock is ticking from when they are made aware

That doesn’t mean they can drag their feet, if they were made aware of it at 4 months then no leg to stand on in court they just breached your consumer rights with their response saying due to the amount of time…etc etc

wheres the bloke who used to defend poor old ON ONE on here,

wwaswas

he’s making big strides in the trouser business now.

ransos
    Free Member

he’s making big strides in the trousers business now.

🙂

ransos
    Free Member

he’s making big strides in the trousers business now.

🙂

In fairness, he sorted me out a refund on a jersey I wasn’t happy with, long after I bought it. It sounds like customer service has gone down the toilet since then.

Northwind

philxx1975 – Member

That doesn’t mean they can drag their feet, if they were made aware of it at 4 months then no leg to stand on in court they just breached your consumer rights with their response saying due to the amount of time…etc etc

That’s not the gameplan though- they just want to deter people and make it a hassle so that they go “oh well it was only £150” and give up.

nathb
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    philxx1975 – Member

That’s not the gameplan though- they just want to deter people and make it a hassle so that they go “oh well it was only £150” and give up.

Thinking about it £300 (£450) isn’t a bad price for an RTD90, but there’s 3 reasons I won’t be taking them up on that:
    1) At the time (3 weeks ago), if I was refunded, I could have bought it for £282 extra
    2) I will not actively advertise them beyond what I’ve already done (instagram)
    3) If that was to go wrong – why would I go through all this again?!

I’m just leaving the bank to it now, I’ve just made PX aware I’ve got the bank involved and the person apparently dealing with it has now changed. 🙄

nathb
    Free Member

Good news from the bank – money refunded but PX (+their bank) have 45 days to respond to them.

Good job as the new frameset was ordered yesterday – I’ll stop hogging this thread now.

Carry on. 😆

danoodog
    Free Member

How tall are you guys that are riding a size small ?

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

danoodog – Member
    How tall are you guys that are riding a size small ?

Im 5″6 when i was riding mine , sold now , great frame , no issues unlike the above seat tube issues

danoodog
    Free Member

Cheers I’m 5’8 can’t decide between a small or a medium ?

pietie
    Free Member

Hej guys, new to the forum 🙂 Pieter here, from the Netherlands.

I am Considering getting my hands on one of these framesets, but for a bit of an usual build. Checking the geometry, the chainstays are only 10mm shorter than my old 29’er mtb (which I don’t have anymore). Makes me wonder, what is the absolute biggest tyres I would be able to ram in this frame? And how about the fork? Also, maybe I’m wrong here, but I seem to recall that ‘racing’ gears take 130mm of rear spacing, and ‘mtb’ gears take 135mm. Does this frame allow for a nice little 1×11 XT?

Thanks a lot!
    Cheers,
    /Pieter

pietie
    Free Member

Oh right, forgot to add, I’ve got no interest in mud guards

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Can’t say what is max tyre capacity but London Road is definitely 135mm rear spacing.

How many disc hubs with 130mm spacing you have on the market?

I found 1 or 2 that were not prohibitively expensive and another handful of boutique, properly expensive (Pauls, White Industries, Mack etc…)

You shouldn’t have much of a problem converting it into 1×11 as there is off the peg SRAM 1×11 version available on PX: London Road Rival 1

Cheers!
    I.

cdoc
    Free Member

Got 35c on mine and there is loads of room to go.
    Can get a finger between the tyre and frame at both seat and chainstays, same at the fork.
    Spacing is standard 135mm, mine works fine with 9 speed road shifters paired with xt mtb cassette and mech.

pietie
    Free Member

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up guys! Could anyone measure the actual clearance? That would be awesome! I’d order the frame and check for myself but as I live in Sweden just ordering for checking and returning would cost me about 60 pounds. .

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 689 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150’ is closed to new replies.