Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 689 total)
  • PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150
  • cp

As above, silver only but all sizes. Bargain.

I know there’s a few folk on here been looking at them, this could be all the justification you need!

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXLONROD/planet-x-london-road-frameset

lunge

Hmm, that is almost cheap enough to make me replace my Kaffenback from with one. Tempting.

Kryton57

Can you put road brakes on this? Is that a thread on the fork/seatstay for the caliper? Thinking of replacing my Defy frame….

cp

Can you put road brakes on this?

No, that hole is for mudguard fitting. The drop to the rim is huge

chakaping
    Free Member

Damn good deal!

Your Defy frame will be nicer though anyway surely Kryton?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

damn planet-x and their random price movements (I paid the more expensive price 🙁 )

thomthumb
    Free Member

why is the geo wrong? reach is longer than TT!

brianp
    Free Member

At 5’10” I am either medium or large. Does the frame come up small, quite short seat tube, stand over of large is same as my medium Fargo. Large has good stack for me. Anybody 5’10” with one?

Brian

grum
    Free Member

Replacing my Kaffenback with one of these, good PSA! Fancy something lighter that does the same job. Now I just need to sell my two Kaffenback frames!!

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 10″ and I have a just received medium sized full bike. I ordered the flat bar as a commuter bike with a view to sticking drops and shifters on at a later date along with some knobbly tires for some CX/Adventure.

Compared the geo against my 54cm Supersix Evo, which fits me perfectly and the medium London Road looked the closest match. I know the Supersix is race geometry and this isn’t a race frame so I looked for the few measurements that were most important to me.

cookeaa

ooof! Really? Sorely tempted,

I’m assembling a sort of hack-cross effort out of old parts at the minute, can’t really justify a new frame but it is very tempting…

You Buggers!

karnali
    Free Member

Grim what size are ur kaffenback frames please?

lennyhenry
    Free Member

Having only ridden mountain bikes, I’m a little out of touch with this kind of thing but would love to give one a go.
    Could anyone give a rough idea of how much it would cost to build a complete bike around the frameset?
    Looking at budget components and second hand where possible but have no idea how much I should expect to pay for wheels, brakes etc
    Would I be able to build one up easily enough for sub £500 or would it make more sense just to go for a complete build? (http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRDAPEXFB/planet-x-london-road-argento-sram-apex-flat-bar-urban-bike)

grum
    Free Member

I have a used medium of the old style cream/brown ones that don’t take disc brakes, and I have a small black one of the newer ones that do take discs that’s never been used (don’t ask!)

It’s one like this rather than the latest one:

northernmatt

You could buy the frame for £150, Sora groupset for £190 from Ribble (brakes would be surplus though). That would leave £260 for a wheelset, tyres, bars, stem, seat & post, plus the all important set of disc brakes. Probably be closer to £600.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and have the large running a 110mm stem and compact drops with a couple of spacers under the stem.

Kryton57

Your Defy frame will be nicer though anyway surely Kryton?

I don’t know, it’s only the basic alu one. But the LR might have given me a CX / school run option if I could have swapped all the fear.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Bloody typical ! … only bought a lime one last week ! 😯
    Only thing id say is watch the top tube length , i have a small pinnacle arkose as well and the london road is 20mm shorter on the top tube which i hadnt noticed 🙁

theflatboy
    Free Member

Swap your fear, Kryton – you’ll feel better for it. 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Would you be able to run 29er wheels on this frame?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Yes, its got loads of tyre clearance.

shermer75
    Free Member

That new stealth black colour looks pretty nice…

aerzen

Is there anybody who is 6’2″ with one of these? The size guide puts me at either the large or X-large frame size and just wondered how they size up.

DT78
    Free Member

not worried about clearance so much as is it 135 spacing not 130?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Damn. I have my heart set on the green one.

shermer75
    Free Member

hebdencyclist – Member
    Damn. I have my heart set on the green one.
    POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # REPORT-POST

Oh yes…..

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Hmmm… buy silver one for £150, get it powder coated at Triple S for £60, any colour I like…

Hmmm…

Hmmm…

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

My freshly built SS london road

brianp
    Free Member

Looks like a road groupset on the built bike, so may indicate 130mm rear? Anyone confirm. PlanetX/On One are crazy in the lack of technical details they include on their web site, after all most people are having to buy without actually trying the frame. Needs accurate reach and stack as well as frame hub widths.
    Looks like large if flat bar and medium with drops at 5’10”.
    Brian.

dknwhy

If anyone’s looking for a cheap build, I’ve got my original boardman cx team wheels and brakes going spare. Only done 300 ish miles.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

135mm rear spacing , 100mm front

brianp
    Free Member

That’s really nice stumpy_m4. I have just enjoyed SS all winter and just swapped to gears and new wheels for the summer on my 29er, so have a spare set of SS suitable wheels as long as frame takes 135mm. Could you confirm which it is please?
    Brian

cynic-al
    Free Member

*must…not…buy*

brianp
    Free Member

Thanks. Which rear chain tensioner did you use?
    Got wheels, cranks, stem, bars, brake levers, seat pin, saddle, chain, pedals.
    Just bb7’s, gear cables, bar wrap, tyres.
    Oooo. Nice cheap fun bike.
    Brian

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ brianp , yeah 135mm, just checked 🙂
    and i used an on one doofer for tension, id prefer something that pushed up rather than down, so im on the look out for another

DT78
    Free Member

This is tempting. Does it come with a headset? If not which one would fit?

cookeaa

Anyone know if the frames includes a Headset? Once I start totting up additional items vs stuff in the garage that won’t fit a London Road, the cheapest frame/fork stars becoming less of a bargain.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Headset not included, bought the £40 fsa caged bearing one from planet x which was utter junk and an absolute bitch to get the crown race on, so much so i ended up chipping the forks !!!!!
    in the end i got a lifeline (sealed bearings) one from wiggle for £19 which is excellent quality

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

I’d be all over that if it wasn’t for the gross silver colour on the cheap one.

cookeaa

I am slowly building up the justification in my head now, it would be a “long term build”, flogging off stuff to cover the costs, by winter I could have it setup running 1×9/10 old XT cranks, pair of spare hubs rebuilt with 622 rims, cheapest finishing kit I can find… I could happily live with silver. And it removes many of the headaches I was going to have getting an old steel MTB frame talking to discs and 700c wheels… The kaffenback fork I bought for that project could go on my commuter fixie before winter meaning I get a better front brake for that too…

DH bike will be going on eBay in pieces, Parts from the SS too (the PX would replace that for winter duties)…

It’s looking like my drop barred bikes will outnumber my flat bared ones by quite a margin… How did that happen?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 689 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150’ is closed to new replies.