Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 689 total)
  • PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Do these frames take a regular integrated headset or the campagnolo integrated headset?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

and “lucd” was supposed to be “pics” with fat fingers on my phone…

brant
    Free Member

Do these frames take a regular integrated headset or the campagnolo integrated headset?

FSA C-40/No.42 ACB.

shermer75
    Free Member

brant is that the only type of headset that will fit? The FSA website says that it is Campagnolo compatible, however stumpy_m4 has fitted an IS integrated one and is saying that it fits fine. Very confused!!

brant
    Free Member

Many headset standards.
    Show me a link to the Campag one.

This is the FSA spec.

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks, brant, I was going by this website Park Tools

aerzen

Sorry to repeat myself but is anybody 6’2″ tall with one of these? Size guide says I could go for either large or X-large, just wondered what anyone else had gone for. I’m currently riding a large Carrera TDF but could find any information on the geometry and don’t trust my measurements.

brant
    Free Member

XL

cookeaa

So Based on S.H.I.S it should be:

Top = ZS42/28.6
    Bottom = IS52/40

Right?

As ever the cycle industry came up with a useful system to identify interfaces for Frame/fork measurements and spec’ a headset…

And then half the manufacturers find ways to confound the bollox off of customers by quoting all sorts of other numbers and terminology…

How is the OD of a headtube useful to me when I’m trying to match a bearing to the ID?

grum
    Free Member

I’m confused about headsets and a bit thick:

Headset not included, bought the £40 fsa caged bearing one from planet x which was utter junk and an absolute bitch to get the crown race on, so much so i ended up chipping the forks !!!!!
    in the end i got a lifeline (sealed bearings) one from wiggle for £19 which is excellent quality

Which was the lifeline one you got? I’ve never paid more than about £20 for a headset.

richardthird

Gawd, N+1 could be 5.

Gears and drop bars with discs, could anyone be kind enough to just list the brake options please?!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Avid BB5 and BB7, Shimano Sora, 105, Ultegra at least, Tektro Lyre, TRP Sprye and HyD.

grum
    Free Member

OK who can find me the best bar tape to match the logo colours? 🙂

Is it sky blue or turquoise do you reckon?

grum
    Free Member
    shermer75
    Free Member

grum this is the £19 lifeline headset link that stumpy is using

richardthird

Thank you Mr Al of Edinburgh, I have a Sora groupset so that’ll work with BB7.

shermer75
    Free Member

That is excellent, thank you brant, cookeaa and stumpy, I feel like I am armed with enough info to shop around for headsets now, which is great. I never realised that it had become so difficult! 🙂

ads678

Ooh that radial bar tape looks good, the one i’ve got is not the right blue, but i’ll see how bad it looks before buying some more. Could do with a saddle to match as well!!

grum
    Free Member

Thanks shermer75 – ordered! I’ve ordered the bar tape ads – will post pics next to the bike when it arrives if you like. 🙂

richardthird

Damn, Kinesis Crosslight CX Disks reduced further at Merlin, £243.

grum
    Free Member

Wonder if I’ll be motivated to actually build the wheels for this bike now. It’s been about 2 years and I’ve managed one (that needs redoing).

cookeaa

It’s arrived!

Seems pretty nice and light, I shall attempt to weigh it tonght just out of interest.

Looks good my only thought upon closer examination is gear cable routing;

All cabling is straight down the underside of the down tube with stops for the gear cabling and a zip-tie points on the centreline for the brakes.
    I’m likely to run it 1×9 at the minute and I will be taking it off-road, I think I’d prefer to run a continuous outer to the rear mech like I do on my MTB.
    Anyone else doing this?

igm

I drilled out the stops on a C456 frame. 4.5mm bit, steady hand and patience is all you need.

cookeaa

Yeah, not sure I fancy drilling it out as it’s new, might just piggy back the brake line down the DT, but then I’ll need to route it along the CS, which might look a bit gash… Hmmm.

richardthird

cookeaa I’m thinking 1×9 too, what gearing you looking at?

Want to use my existing Sora so thinking 42T NW & 11-32 myself.

cookeaa

@richardthird:

I have a spare 34t N/W ring and an 11-32 cassette to start with, which I expect will be pretty spinny on the road but could be handy getting my eye in on muddy trails. Will probably get a 38t though at some point.

Weighed my frame, Size L, came out at 1657g bare fork weighed 808g so 2465g all in, I also happen to have an uncut kaffenback fork which I weighed at 1040g just for reference…

One thing which I found slighty anannoying, the plastic jobbie which you would expect to find under the BB for gear cable routing is missing, just a tapped hole, as it is I will probably use that to P-clip my continuous gear outer to the rear, helping solvine my earlier issue, but I would be quite grumpy about it if I was planning to run a front mech… Anyone else missing this part? Should I have expected one?

Otherwise very happy.

flybywire
    Free Member

Normally not include a guide under the bb, they’re usually £1.50-2 although a p-clip is preferable for routing continuous cable.

Mine arrived at 10am – super quick delivery!
    Its nicer than my vitus energie that I sold last year
    ; going to fit campag veloce 1×9 with a superstar chainguide & modify it with a front much band to be less flexi.

all silver wheelset will complete the look..

cookeaa

Probably just being picky then…

Need to find a shifter now, I have some tektro drop brake levers but I foolishly sold a pair of 4500 brifters last year, the Ruptured one would have been perfect for those build, now need to find a used, Sora or tiagra shifter agai, I have thought about it but I don’t reckon I would get on with a bar end shifter as well.

jeff

Mine arrived today too.

Going to have 29er wheels, singlespeed, and MTB BB7s with v-brake drop levers… on Midge bars too.

Parts bin special 🙂

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Get them built and we`ll have a show of pics 🙂 ….. any excuse to post mine again 🙂

ads678

I’ve started building mine but won’t get it finished until after the weekend as i’m waiting for a couple of bits and away for the weekend. Interested to see what others are doing with theirs though as it sounds like there’s a few different builds going on.

The shimano wheels off planet x are very nice indeed as well. can’t wait to get it finished.

grum
    Free Member

Probably be another couple of years before I build mine – I should really have just bought some **** wheels!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

One thing which I found slighty anannoying, the plastic jobbie which you would expect to find under the BB for gear cable routing is missing, just a tapped hole,

when I clicked “buy” it flagged the under-BB guide as a recommended/you might want to consider type purchase, should have ordered one at the time, annoying bit of penny-pinching especially as the likes of P-X charge more for postage than the item cost, and I’ll be buying it from anywhere other than P-X (along with the headset).

Mine won’t get built til Xmas, as its not for me. Just need a groupset but will probably go the route of upgrading one of my drop-bar bikes, and moving the old kit over. May even have a transplant conveyor belt going on with new groupset on roadbike, it’s groupset onto my CX bike, it’s groupset onto the P-X!

cookeaa

took some pic’s last night:

Frame Weight:

Fork Weight:

So thats 2465g

And Just for a bit of weight-weenie Comparison:

Kaff’ Fork:

Carbon Road Fork:

M/L Carbon Road Frame:

So as you’d expect it’s middle for diddle really, probably gives away 800~900g to a full carbon Road frameset (Obviously built to be a bit more robust though), and probably saves 600~700g over an equivalent all steel frameset?

grum
    Free Member

More than 800g lighter than the Kaff frame and fork innit?

richardthird

Be nice to see some built up silvers 🙂

£300 for stealth black is still value.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

mines come through already which is pretty quick for what was a mixed order (got a Minewt, 2 pairs of SKS guards and various other bits and bobs).

Currently with a neighbour, so t’other half has been instructed to leave it for me to collect!

grum
    Free Member

Bar tape colour not quite right. I’ve died a little inside.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/sWtDdx]Untitled[/url] by Graham Wynne, on Flickr

uwe-r
    Free Member

My dale synapse was in a crash this morning! Forks are **** so i might split, it’s a 10 speed Tigara group, 12 months old bb30, dale finishing kit all in good nick. I’ll post on here when I know what I’m doing! Might by the lr frame myself.

grum
    Free Member

I reckon to be a proper tart you would need this – seems a bit excessive for a £150 frame though:

Still not quite the right colour anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 689 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150’ is closed to new replies.