Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 689 total)
  • PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150
  • cookeaa

113mm really? Sounds like rather conservative advice…

I figured given the profile of the stays and the fact that plenty of people are running narrower Q-factor road cranks on their LR, and that I only want to run a single ring I could at least get away with 107mm so long as the crank arms clear the chainstays…

113mm is what I used to run on my MTB with triple chainset and 2.1″ tyres “back in the day”…

The HT2 Hones fitted currently sit a bloody mile out… I might have a dig about in the spares bin for a 113just to see…

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Could someone help me. Trying to fit SKS Chromoplastic guards and I have managed to fit the rear guard. I can’t get a bolt that work will with the fork. Either it’s too long or too short. I only have one washer left after using two so can’t pack it out with them. Any ideas or a pic showing what you have done would be great.

Cheers

amedias
    Free Member

Either it’s too long or too short. I only have one washer left after using two so can’t pack it out with them

cut the long bolt down or buy more washers? (or an appropriate length bolt)

ads678

Fitted some chromoplastics the other day, and it was a right pain in the arse!

Bolts that came with them were not long enough to go through the fork so went to B&Q and ended up buying a length of threaded bar and cut it down. Stuck washers and bolts either sides, along with a rubber washer (small bit of inner tube) to stop it damaging the paint/carbon and it’s fine.

Half thinking of selling mine along with my Blue pig and buying a 29er HT though……..it’s in my head now 🙄

mlpinto
    Free Member

@hebdencyclist – nice photo – looks like a fun ride!

What tyres are you running there?

richardthird

My SKS 45 Chromo Tourings that I got from Halfords came with loads of bolts, no probs fitting them. I’ve made a light bracket from a socket & long bolt that has replaced the offside bolt though.

thepeginator
    Free Member

@burnsybhoy

I also fitted some SKS Blummels the other day (35mm matte black – look the business and come with mudflaps which the other models don’t!). I had the same issue with the forks being super wide, what I actually did was pop the front wheel out and put a washer and bolt up on the inside of the fork! It was very fiddly and took a bit of doing but once it was on there I don’t see it coming off any time soon and it solved the problem! It saved me having to buy a super long bolt or piece of stud as other people have said they had to do.

ribena
    Free Member

I used some of these…
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261783410494
    I can’t remember which i used for the London Road but it’d be a bit longer as it’s got a dynamo light on there too.

ads678

@thepeginator – wish I’d thought of that, sounds like a great idea. Might have to change mine now…..

richardthird

On the fork crown I mounted mine behind the fork (brings the front flap down too) then poked an Allen key through the front hole to reach the bolt head which goes through the rear hole. Nut on outside.

fingerbike
    Free Member

mlpinto – was wondering the same thing, look like Schwalbe CX Comp to me:
    Chain Reaction link to them.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I really like that gold covered london road.

Thank you 🙂

mlpinto – was wondering the same thing, look like Schwalbe CX Comp to me:
    Chain Reaction link to them.

Yes – that’s them. I got them because I read lots of reviews saying they had excellent performance and were the perfect balance of reliability and weight*

*not really. I got them ‘cos they were cheap

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Just been to Worsthorne Reservoir on mine, for its first “proper” ride, with my seven year-old.

Bags of fun, never felt under-biked on the Singletrack.

But the seatpost is wobbly as hell, despite the collar being so tight I was rounding the Allen bolt.

Coke can shim it is 🙄

mlpinto
    Free Member

Fingerbridge, hebdencyclist – thanks

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Can anyone confirm rear hub spacing is 135mm?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It sure is.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Thanks shortbread_fanylion.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a rear mech hanger for this frame that isn’t made of cheese?

No matter how well I set my limit screws and cable adjustment, the rear mech always wants to fling the chain into the spokes. e.g before the start of my CX race today.

Pref Wheels Manf.

Cheers

wicki
    Free Member

Holy thread Resurrection batman.

So after the disappointing condition of the frame from new I have grown to like the London road, I get tow overlap and heel strike but its a good concept of a bike and I like the versatility it gives me, down the canal tow path that starts out side my house for a few miles then on to the road to the local lake and follow the trails around it and sprint back home for dinner on the back lanes its quick and comfortable I am sold on the concept and it as not fallen apart yet,seat post needs adjustment more than I like every other ride I raise it a cm.

Next time maybe a Genesis vagabond

How are the rest of you getting on with the London road? and any one loading it with panniers I fancy a few nights away when the weather picks up.

cookeaa

@wiki I would say I’ve had a pretty similar experience with it to you…

I built it up 1×9 for peanuts and it’s now become my default bike, especially now the weather is a bit dank, mostly mixed on/offroad loops from my doorstep solo and with a couple of mates, had a go at CX racing with it too. handles well offroad and is comfy on the road… Glad I bought it.

I took a flyer on a cheap frame and while the build quality isn’t really there (already well documented), I have really loved riding it and similarly started thinking about loading it up for some bigger adventures this summer…

I am however very glad I didn’t pay a full £300 for the F+F, it’s not worth that, and I don’t think I could sell it on to anyone in good conscience now; nice design, shonky construction, so When I eventually come to replace it. I will probably look at similar frames from alternative brands…

mr34
    Free Member

I ve just bought one of these for £150 as a frame only. I’m now feeling a bit nervous after reading the whole of this thread. Really not sure if I should cancel the order or just hope that the previous issues have been solved.

wicki
    Free Member

HMM thats a difficult one mr34 You could look at it as a low cost experiment.maybe ask PX if this is the same batch or a new shipment I suspect they are still selling the original run at that price.

For me it proved I like this sort of bike very much, and it is a very nice ride and for 150 a bit of a bargain but now I know I like this sort of bike I would go steel and better quality.

shermer75
    Free Member

The majority of the seat post issues seem to be with the original silver coloured batch

richardthird

Mine’s also still my default bike. Well, it’s now my only non mtb as I shifted both winter and summer road bikes. It is comfortable, has disks, and takes massive tyres and full guards.

I recently bought a cheap rack from Wiggle for touring possibilities. I’ve a small front handlebar bag that I use quite a lot anyway, I’ll not use panniers but may strap a drybag or 2 on to the rack. Doing an overnight Paris and back next month.

Mine’s a silver one. Yes, I used a beer can shim with a carbon post, otherwise no problems.

I’ll not be upgrading anytime soon, it suits me very well so is a keeper.

shermer75
    Free Member

Beer can

wicki
    Free Member

I have to admit this is my go to bike at the moment that may change when things dry out but maybe not, it munches the miles far better than the mtb and there is always tarmac between trails,i might try some off road drops next.

Its very like a hot hatch or crossover we would all love a sportcar or seious 4×4 but most compromise somewhere.

ads678

Yep, seat post issue aside mines been great. Took it out to the Pyrenees last summer and use it for commuting. To be fair I haven’t ridden much for the last few months but am back on the bike commuting now. I’m not a big roadie, but there’s not that much difference in speed from my previous road bike.

Even though there is a bit of wobble in the seat post when you slide it in, once the clamp is done it’s fine. I haven’t had a problem with it and never have to re-tighten.

Mine after a ride through a lake!!

[/url]IMAG0495 by , on Flickr[/img]

shermer75
    Free Member

Did you buy the headset yo go with it mr34? There only seems to be 2 left

Saccades
    Free Member

Mine’s a green full bike and the supplied seat collar wasn’t enough to tighten it (was the light race version thing), have replaced with a thomson collar and is ok so far (with a beercan shim).

Build quality appears ok, although I managed to cross thread a bottle cage mount despite taking care.

I use it to commute and sunday club runs – much better all around than my alfine pompino (although I don’t think it’s as bombproof).

nathb
    Free Member

I’ve just bought one, looking forward to bodging the seat clamp 😛

My 26″ Ribble R4 frame didn’t look right as a 29″/700c CX/commuter bike plus I think I messed up the geometry…

I really like mine, it’s fun to ride around here. I take it off road on some rolling trails on road and it’s done what it is supposed to. I was fortunate with the seat post I bought one that fitted nicely without a need for alterations. It is the silver model.

cchris2lou

I bought one of here, brand new, and it has been great. It is a silver one and no issue with the seat post.

Perfect for this weather to mix on and off road.

mr34
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies I think Ill just carry on with the order , mines one of the olive green ones so itll be interesting to see if it suffers the seat post problem,
    shermer75 I haven’t bought the head set as its a slow build as I have the money, but is it the only one that fits?

nathb
    Free Member

mr34 – I ordered this one with mine (today): http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-1-18-15-integrated-headset-with-alloy-cap/?sku=5360597730

I think it’s the right one…

I also this in case I can’t use the traditional star nut?? : http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-compression-plug-with-alloy-cap/?sku=5360672629

shermer75
    Free Member

shermer75 I haven’t bought the head set as its a slow build as I have the money, but is it the only one that fits?

I’m interested in buying one rather than an owner, but after reading through this thread I got the impression that the one they recommend is the best one to have, although there does seem to some ongoing debate about that!! 🙂

wicki
    Free Member

@mr35 Looks like all the silvers have gone and as the olive green is a new color not available last year i suspect its a new batch, I would be very interested in your opinion of the frame especially the welds as i had a pin hole in one of mine more like a cocktail stick hole actually. but to be honest at 150 with carbon fork its a steal.

mattbee

I was pondering getting one to replace my Boardman frame but I’m guessing that it’s probably actually a downgrade?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Love the fact so many people think a cheap bike with poor quality is worth it! Their alleged RRP is £300! I think you’re crazy but each to their own.

ads678

RRP is irrelevant, the price you pay is what you judge stuff on.

Loads of stuff has silly RRP’s but if your happy with the price on the tag then what’s the issue.

I bought a lamp from TKMaxx, it’s a ralph Lauren one. RRP was £450!!!!! 😯 I paid £50 I was happy with that but I wouldn’t have paid the RRP.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Fair enough true, but £150 for an item that CLAIMS to be fit for purpose but isn’t and you have to bodge it make it work/get it to fit is insane! IME.

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 689 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150’ is closed to new replies.