Home Forums Bike Forum Possible demise of CRC / Wiggle

• This topic has 1,826 replies, 447 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by mashr.
Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 1,827 total)
  • Possible demise of CRC / Wiggle
  • hooli

Not good for the staff, especially at this time of year. Lets hope they find something else ASAP.

dc1988

I would have thought their sales would have dropped since the bad news so the loss of staff is inevitable

frankconway

It’s bad news for the staff affected and I hope they find acceptable alternative employment soon.

I think the job losses are a reflection of the administrators attempting to increase efficiency; if that’s right, they’re doing what they’re supposed to by taking steps to ensure the company can continue trading and avoid being liquidated.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

FYI… I ordered a dropper post yesterday, despatch note received today… so, they’re still processing orders seemingly…

gazza100

Wiggle are still processing returns, well they were a few days ago. I returned a pair of Sidi road shoes as I bought two pairs as I was unsure of the sizing. Returned one pair last week and the my credit card was refunded a couple of days ago.

hot_fiat

Ordered a new front tyre, a chain and some mucoff on Friday.  Arrived Monday.  If anything rhey seem quicker than usual.  Fingers crossed they’ll refinance and be ok.

Mounty_73

I ordered some mtb trousers from wiggle on Thursday afternoon, they arrived Sunday morning, never had such a quick delivery.

I do hope wiggle/crc get through all this.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

I have a question, totally open and unbiased. I just want to understand what people outside the industry think.

lots of people are saying they hope they will survive, but outside of jobs etc and focusing on just the brand/retailer why?

are you nostalgic for the name’s history?

do you hope for continuing low prices?

do you like the own brands?

the service?

other reason?

the second question is if they increase their prices 20-40% would you still buy from them?

Neil SuperstarComponents

devash
    Free Member

Sucks for the people being made redundant. Worst possible time of year for that to happen. I hope they all find something else soon.

weeksy

lots of people are saying they hope they will survive, but outside of jobs etc and focusing on just the brand/retailer why?

Pricing and accessibility for me. They have (ignoring the new website for a moment) a one-stop shop for just about anything and everything you need, jackets, helmets, parts, spares, shoes, gloves, bikes, etc etc… All in one place, just click, done. Not many of the other retailers have such an easy way of shopping for just about anything.

Like most people i’m price driven, that does without saying. But there’s a couple of ‘favourite’ retailers who i’ll use even if the price is a couple of quid more. Biketart and CRC being those two. If a cassette is on a website for £90 and CRC have it for £94, i’d generally pay the £94 so i know it’s coming, know it’ll be in stock (if it says it is) and know it’ll arrive 3 days later.

DT78
    Free Member

For me I’d pretty much moved away from CRC/wiggle due to the poor website and no longer being much cheaper than other sites.  I think most people are creatures of habit, so once they have used a site several times and everything has been good they tend to go back.  As long as the prices are competitive its less hassle ordering lots of bits from one site.  When I had very little money I would buy whatever was cheapest from whomever, that was in the days most places did free postage.  Now postage often can erase any saving from shopping around, plus I have less time to sit browsing loads of sites.

Anyway I’ve largely stopped buying bike stuff, other than consumables due to the massive price hikes.  Yes I know everything has got more expensive, but the prices we are expected to pay now are ridiculous.  I stick with my old top end kit until it wears out.

Kryton57

Just ordered a Mythique VRX for jnr, £1450 bloody hell.    Paid direct on CC so hopefully it arrives but if not hey I’m protected.

mashr

Ignoring the current state of the website – it’s always been the selection, availability and service for me. Price also factors in, but it’s been a long time since I can remember buying something off them based on them punting it out super cheap. Basically a biking Amazon (as mentioned elsewhere in the thread)

DickBarton

I’d hope they can remain as an active business, but mainly for the staff…I don’t use it that often these days, so if it was gone I wouldn’t have too much of an issue finding somewhere else (as I already do), but like every business they employ people and it is that employment that I’d really like to see saved. Obviously not quite working like that just now as a few redundancies are already announced, but it is for the staff being employed and working more than anything else for me.
    I’ve had great prices from them over the years, but I can find them better (or quicker and more reliable delivery, etc.) elsewhere so I’m not as tied to them as others.

chakaping

it’s always been the selection, availability and service for me. Price also factors in, but it’s been a long time since I can remember buying something off them based on them punting it out super cheap.

Pretty much what I was gonna say.

I have been filling my drawers (ooer missus) with very cheap spares in their recent fire sales, but I’d continue to shop with them if they returned to “about the going rate”.

If Mike Ashley took over, I don’t honestly know.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

and focusing on just the brand/retailer why?

Just the brand/retailer? These days not sure that I’d be bothered, I suspect a lot of it is supply chain issues over the last few years but the days of their being a one stop shop are gone and that really was their USP.

If they stopped being crc and became Bob’s bike bits overnight but in the same place with the same staff I’d not be in any way disappointed.

Andy

Just to confirm a successful return here.  Arrived on Monday. Refunded yesterday. Oddly no confirmation via email.

a11y

the service?

other reason?

Ignoring the current state of the website – it’s always been the selection, availability and service for me. Price also factors in, but it’s been a long time since I can remember buying something off them based on them punting it out super cheap. Basically a biking Amazon (as mentioned elsewhere in the thread)

^ @mashr’s summed up my reasons too. The range has been great, nothing boils my wee more than a website saying ‘in stock’ then cancelling your order as they don’t actually have the availability, and service: next day with Wiggle+ is very useful at times.

I also like their own brands: I’ve got a huge amount of DHB and NP clothing as it’s a sensible price point vs quality/performance. Same for NP components: bars, stems, seatclamps, pedals, etc, on my bikes. And their Lifeline-branded generic stuff (tools, general stuff like tubeless valves etc) is good value and just works.

honourablegeorge

mashr

Ignoring the current state of the website – it’s always been the selection, availability and service for me.

That’s gone out the window over the last few years though, outside of some core brands like Shimano/SRAM (where they are generally uncompetitive for price), they really don’t stock most of the big brands. Even before the recent trouble, a quick trawl through their “brands” section shows that a huge proportion of their brands with no actual items on sale

Customer service was always really good, but now that they charge for returns, I’m less inclined to use them.

They’re useful for the odd bargain nowadays, but not much else.

2tyred

other reason?

They’ve basically been the baseline when online shopping for bike stuff.

Sure, you might get a cheaper price elsewhere, and they may not have the size/colour/spec you want in stock, but their website(s) are nearly always my starting point when setting out to buy something. Comprehensive range (in theory), easy-to-navigate site (in the past), agreeable pricing (in the main) have been the keys to that.

When they introduced next day delivery for £10 a year – basically free for people who ride a lot and have lots of bikes to keep on top of – that was a done deal.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I like wiggle they are the most useful shop online that I go to – huge selection of products and brands – lots of stock (physical too not just showing stock) 

the new website is a bit naff but I still like wiggle and the next day delivery service has saved my bacon numerous times from not being able to ride for 14.99 a year i have had that repaid 10 times over easily for next day delivery 

also like the home brand stuff like lifeline and nukeproof clothing 

Plus as I said above they are one of the few places online that have pretty much everything you can think of if you need it quickly 

id be very sad see them go obviously for staff but from a personal point of view too 

a11y

And to confirm a successful order: placed yesterday at lunchtime, just arrived (bawhair under 24hrs) courtesy of Evri via Wiggle+.

kerley
    Free Member

I have used Wiggle for years as prices are good (made even better with platinum discount) and delivery has always been within a few days when using the free postage option.

If Ashley takes over I won’t use them as I don’t purchase stuff from companies where I know the owners are such massive ****, i.e. would never buy a Tesla, would never drink in Weatherspoons.  

Yes, the current owners may also be massive **** but that is not so clearly apparent as teh examples above.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

Ok so it’s basically price, with a tiny bit of the rest. So if prices go up they won’t get your business.

quite a bit of owner hate going on it seems. Seems a bit ironic that if you don’t know you don’t care?

if all above is true I don’t really see a future for them. Lots of other choices out there. I’ll see what happens, once the administration report comes out we can all see the reality on the inside.

Neil SuperstarComponents

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Yes, the current owners may also be massive **** but that is not so clearly apparent

Yeah, that’s not because it’s less apparent it’s just you’re not looking.

For all Ashley’s failings there are a lot of people in the UK who wouldn’t be in work if it weren’t for his companies.
    Martin might be a prize pillock whose politics you disagree with but I don’t think either of them (nor musk for that matter) is sufficiently odious even their bank won’t have anything to do with them. https://www.ft.com/stream/26102ab4-b139-45e4-b413-7b3bc7a4ee5f

I’d take Ashley Martin and musk together as preference

purple_moose
    Free Member

I think the own brands are excellent – Brand X, Nukeproof, Vitus, Lifeline, DHB would be a shame if those disappear

Price will always be the driving factor for the majority of consumers and that’s no different for me with CRC, though at the moment several things are crazy cheap – NP Horizon Pedals for £35 at the moment – next cheapest retailer Tredz at £80, so they could easily put the price up and still be the cheapest

Slow delivery was also a factor for me – there was definitely a time when you had to order by Monday at the latest if you wanted it for the weekend – back in the golden days of CRC everything just turned up next day – most things take 2-3 days for me now

I’ve actually spent noticeably more with them this year than last

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have a question, totally open and unbiased. I just want to understand what people outside the industry think.

the service?

I own two Vitus (Escarpe 29 CR and a Track bike), I’m not one for brand loyalty but they both happened to be what I wanted when I wanted it.

Service has always been “good” (i.e. fast delivery, although not as fast as they used to be), returns have never been a fuss. They’ve set the industry bar very high for that sort of thing.

Prices? If I’m buying one item I’m probably going to search google for it, if I need 2+ items I’d probably go to wherever had the big one cheapest and buy it all from there to save postage unless it was specific things. e.g. I think last time I did a major refresh of my bikes I ordered chains, cassettes, pulleys, cables, housing etc off CRC for convenience (and knowing if they weren’t the cheapest for one item then it was probably less than the extra postage of a 2nd order) and then the chainrings of SPA Cyles as they’re just the best combination of value and longevity for roadie chainrings.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

I’ve used them extensively since there first year of trading 

Fantastic range of stock 

Great delivery 

Good prices 

Great customer service 

Basically imo there better than everyone else I’ve ever tried 

I will miss them a lot 

Name me another company who offers what they have 

bobodaclown

I would tend to agree with Big-Bud, they have always been good for me since way back when 96 for CRC, that is for both CRC and Wiggle. Hate the web redesign.
    I have had decent service elsewhere but not as effortless.

chestrockwell

Price and ease for me although after the free postage stopped I used them less and not at all since the website stopped working on my PC.

Be a shame to see them go as I’ve had some utter bargains from them in the past but there are plenty of other places that offer similar so in a shopping sense it’ll not really bother me.

coconut
    Free Member

just arrived (bawhair under 24hrs)

You purchased some bawhair….interesting.

chakaping

Ok so it’s basically price, with a tiny bit of the rest.

I think more people are saying it’s a combination of product range, price, ease of use, good own-brand products and decent CS.

You seem to be grinding your own axe here a bit?

kerley
    Free Member

Seems a bit ironic that if you don’t know you don’t care?

Is that ironic? I don’t have the time or inclination to look into ownership of every product and company I buy from but when the owners are so well known and are also so well known for being massive **** then I will avoid.

Anyway, as for your “survey” it is pretty obvious most internet purchases are primarily based on price. i.e. if Wiggle were 100% more expensive than say Sigma or Merlin then I would not expect them to be selling much, would you?

I drive an hour to a not so LBS because the few that are near me have junk stock and/or the staff have a **** attitude problem and their workmanship is bang average to sub-par.

I do wish shop owners who offer a poor product and business model to the consumer would stop using CRC as a boogyman to avoid doing the hard yards, if you want business then you need to be worthy of my cash, I owe you nothing but I do owe my household the diligence in how I spend my money.

I hope CRC survives and finds its way back to its former glory.

hot_fiat

I have no nostalgia for CRC, not in its current form anyway. When they were a little business in Ballymena then perhaps, but since the merger nah. I do value them though as you could source practically anything*, often at a great price. Service was great, delivery rapid and they knew enough about e-commerce to lure you into dropping something extra into your basket that you probably didn’t need. Website was pretty well built as well.

Mainly though they need to survive for their employees. Administrators will pay minimum stat redundancy and in reality the government will pick up that tab. I doubt many people there will qualify for much at all. The jobs market in retail and box shifting is a turbulent place and every one of their employees will be under financial pressure. They chose to work for a sports retailer, not Nestle, the Saudi Prison Service or British Airways. 

*”whole” items like mechs, stems, clothing etc. You want a lower pulley inner washer for a 1998 DX mech then forget it, but that’s what SJS are for. 

jamj1974

I’d expect them to get rid of most or all of the staff if they didn’t think it wasn’t “fat” and redeemable.

In my experience, companies do not get rid of fat – they shrink their cost base and often ‘force’ the remaining staff to work longer, but unpaid to add additional capacity that the company removed through staff losses.  Often the more expensive staff in a given role are removed first to reduce expenditure quickly – usually the ones they can least expect to lose.

Otoh, staff are the one commodity most companies can control so it’s the first and hardest squeezed. It’s why wages are slow to increase whilst work load grows rapidly.

Exactly, this.  Increase the pressure and consequences on staff before private owners, shareholders etc.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

In my experience, companies do not get rid of fat

Aye, there’s a reason fat was in inverted commas.

Point being though if they made some redundancies as opposed to everyone it suggests they see a future for the business and at least b some of the employees. As to whether that results in an untenable workload for the remaining staff is a different matter entirely

johnjn2000

I have a question, totally open and unbiased. I just want to understand what people outside the industry think. lots of people are saying they hope they will survive, but outside of jobs etc and focusing on just the brand/retailer why?

Local bike shop options suck, from the attitude to the service in my experience. There will be good ones, there will be great ones, I haven’t experienced that. This is why Wiggle/CRC and others are important to me. They pretty much always have what I need and can be with me in 24hrs. Any issue I have had with a product has been dealt with to my satisfaction, going as far as just letting me keep some stuff that wasn’t right rather than sending it back. Their price isn’t always the best so I still shop around, but the service and being there 24/7 online when you need a replacement item quickly, is awesome. However, I am not loyal to their brand, and never will be, it’s not that kind of relationship. They don’t stock my favorite brand of jacket so I go elsewhere, direct if I can, they don’t sell my favorite gloves so I go direct. With these brands it is a different relationship, it’s like a nice warm cuddle rather than a business like handshake that would go with a Wiggle transaction. They serve a purpose, and there will be a gap for a while if they go, but someone will fill it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think more people are saying it’s a combination of product range, price, ease of use, good own-brand products and decent CS.

You seem to be grinding your own axe here a bit?

+1

Most people said variations on “because it’s convenient, most places are about the same prices anyway”

I’m finding it bizzare that you’ve got such a grudge with another retailer selling products cheaply with decent customer service.

Superstars whole business model (and reputation) before you moved production in-house was selling cheap far eastern manufactured stuff, which in a lot of cases was cheap in both senses of the word, and backed up by really crap customer service. I wouldn’t say it’s a grudge on my part, that would imply a level of vindictiveness, but it’s been over a decade since I bough anything from you with moving parts as I got burnt early on and that reputations stuck even if you have improved things since then.

CRC’s reputation was for being able to get stuff to you overnight, at it’s best I could order stuff with free postage before I left work on Friday, and it would be on my doormat with the post before I went for a ride on Saturday. They’ve not been that good for a decade, but the reputation and customer loyalty persists.

escrs
    Free Member

Been using Wiggle since they were Butler cycles in Southsea in Portsmouth

Remember when they shut that shop up and moved into a shop at the end of my current road

Then they became Wiggle and moved into a warehouse in the Hilsea area and they still allowed you to go in a collect items for a few years

Then they got so big they moved into various warehouses just outside of Portsmouth and finally moved to the massive warehouse in Bilston near Birmingham but kept office staff here in Portsmouth

Have spent thousands with them over the years and the various owners

Hopefully they wont disapear completely as it would be a shame to see them go and the extra job loses

Placed an order on Thursday evening and it arrived this morning with the free Haribo!

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 1,827 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.