Home Forums Bike Forum Possible demise of CRC / Wiggle

• This topic has 1,826 replies, 447 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by mashr.
Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 1,827 total)
  • Possible demise of CRC / Wiggle
    chakaping

No jumpers for goalposts on that old mail order ad? ;)

It’s really cool to see. I’ve had some nice saddles, tyres & brakes from them for cheaper than those prices this year though, since they started clearing all the overstock.

ogden
    Free Member

Crc had black hope v4 brakes for £159.99 earlier this week which is the cheapest id seen them by a mile, they also but e4s down quite a bit. Managed to get the V4s price matched by Tredz, glad I didn’t wait around.

Northwind

Was srprised to see Onguard locks in that list, they give all appearances of still trading as normal.

DT78
    Free Member

harobikes – weren’t they a decent bmx brand too?

Aye, though like most bmx brands they also did a lot of crap. Bob Haro was one of the BMX riders in ET! Though, he sold up 30 years ago.

What does “renewal date” mean for those brands?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Was srprised to see Onguard locks in that list, they give all appearances of still trading as normal.

Just the UK domain I believe hence also the renewal date

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

How does the latest news affect refunds. I have a frame to go back is it safe to do it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

How does the latest news affect refunds.

Officially it doesn’t but…

I have a frame to go back is it safe to do it

They may not be there when you do, that would be bad.
    Any return currently is a gamble

PeteT

On refunds, I think it’s hard to say.

I decided to bite the bullet and send my outstanding returns back on Weds via next day courier. Arrived with Wiggle yesterday and was refunded at 10am this morning. How long that continues for is anyone’s guess.

iainc

neverbeentomoabFull MemberHow does the latest news affect refunds. I have a frame to go back is it safe to do it.

i sent back a pair of £90 trousers on Monday, I suspect I’ll never see the refund.. 

dukeduvet
    Blazin-saddles

I was owed £650 for an eBay dispute by Trisportsresort (wiggles eBay account) and was very pleased to have got it this morning after a prompt.

chakaping

I was owed £650 for an eBay dispute by Trisportsresort (wiggles eBay account) and was very pleased to have got it this morning after a prompt.

Nice one mate, just squeaked it in there.

:D

teamslug

Sorry if this has been posted on here already but The EscapeCollective Geek Warning podcast has just been talking about this and said Mike Ashley might interested in parts of the business.

snotrag

Coming soon – the 2024 £399 Nukeproof Mega Hybrid with Shimano Tourney 7 speed, rack and guards.

mc
    Free Member

Where do the staff fit in this? At some point if they aren’t likely to get paid

I believe just after the tax man and before the banks for wages (and holiday?) other stuff like expenses they’re unsecured creditors and get pence in the pound if they’re lucky.

My understanding is wages are the priority, then the creditors get whatever is left

dti

There is usually nothing left after the administrators rinse the cash with their admin fees.

frankconway

Administrators will (almost) certainly tighten returns and refund policies to satisfy only the minimum legislative requirements.
    Anything else will be at their absolute discretion

5lab
    Free Member

Administrators will (almost) certainly tighten returns and refund policies to satisfy only the minimum legislative requirements.
    Anything else will be at their absolute discretion

I think it depends – for a large brand that depends on customer care (ie a john lewis) that wouldn’t be the case as you lose more value messing with the brand than you get for refusing a couple of kettles. for someone like CRC where that’s less of a issue, I expect you’re right. That said, the stuff they punt on their ebay site (returns/ex demos) doesn’t seem to be loads cheaper than the stuff on their core site

finephilly
    Free Member

Employees are somewhere near the bottom of creditors. It’s the banks/secured lending first, then HMRC, then suppliers.

nigew
    Free Member

There is usually nothing left after the administrators rinse the cash with their admin fees

Exactly this! 

politecameraaction
    Free Member

There is usually nothing left after the administrators rinse the cash with their admin fees.

This is unfair (in general). Administration is time consuming and difficult. There are many creditors and shareholders just waiting to pounce on you for the slighest wasted expenditure. It’s facile to blame administrators instead of the former management for creditors not getting paid (in general).

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It’s facile to blame administrators instead of the former management for creditors not getting paid

The difficulty is the administrator is often more expensive than the day to day running of the business. It’s not that they’re not doing a hard job and doing it well, it’s that they sure as hell know how to charge for that and manage to take their money when even the tax man can’t.

It’s difficult not to find it galling that a business can enter administration for two weeks and end up paying 60-70% of its value to the administrator leaving everyone else to squabble over the 30% when there would have been a 3x bigger pot to divy up had they just gone bust.

Of course counter to that are the businesses saved when they go into administration who go on to settle up their debts and come back out profitable. There’s got to be at least one of those a year.

Employees are somewhere near the bottom of creditors. It’s the banks/secured lending first, then HMRC, then suppliers.

Happy to be proven wrong but I’m pretty sure you’ve got the ordering here incorrect.

It’s a long time since I had any reason to be interested but seem to recall when it all loomed over me:
    VAT
    salaries
    Secured lending
    Other tax & NI liabilities
    Supplier (contractual only)
    Redundancy
    Unsecured creditors (including supplier – anything outside contractual debt)

matt_outandabout

Can I place a bet on Mike Ashley coming in to buy it all? Evans / Wiggle / CRC / Sports Direct all under one roof.
    In fact, I bet he buys it, takes the stock and closes it all to leave one overarching brand selling bikes and kit…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m not so sure, his businesses are very high street focused wiggle crc just doesn’t fit that model.

That being said there’s a definite gap for a “last season” clearance cycling kit shop online (think Paul’s cycles but for bits and clothes) and crc wiggle would slip into that without anyone noticing the change.
    Hotlines would be gone overnight though.

finephilly
    Free Member

I thought it would be HMRC/Govt first, but apparently not:

https://www.realbusinessrescue.co.uk/company-administration/what-is-the-priority-order-of-creditors-in-an-administration-process

But sorry, employees are much higher up than I thought

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Since 1st December 2020, HMRC are also ranked as secondary preferential creditors

I wonder if they were higher up the list previously.

But fair do, I stand corrected too.

It’s the internet, it’s only normal we were both wrong

40mpg

Having been in the receiving end of tbis situation twice last year (frying pan – fire) paying staff is fairly low on the list. You can however claim loss of earnings, pension, redundancy pay if applicable from the govt but its capped at i think £570 a week. (You get taxed on this and it takes a few weeks to set up, complete forms and get processed).

We also (300+ employees) set up a claim for lack of notice period and got some ££ for this about a year later.

But yes a worrying time for staff and theyll likely be out of pocket for a period with likelihood out of a job too.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

Hope stuffs back

fooman

Makes sense for administrators to pay employees otherwise they’d be off the moment they were appointment which would crash the value of the business.

garage-dweller

Since 1st December 2020, HMRC are also ranked as secondary preferential creditors

I wonder if they were higher up the list previously.

I can answer that.  They previously ranked equally with employees for the first £800 of arrears of pay and accrued untaken holiday as preferential.  This was a long time ago.
    The Enterprise Act in 2002 (apologies to any lawyers as I’ve not quoted the full legislative changes of the time and any oversimplification that follows😜) stripped HMRC of their preferential status and introduced the Prescribed Part which was a ring fenced fund for unsecured (last in line) creditors in which HMRC would share. The Prescribed Part is basically 20% of recoveries net of costs and preferential creditors (those employee claims above) up to £800k (back then £600k) before floating charge creditors get paid.  A floating charge creditor is one with security over assets you can deal with in the normal course of business like stock.
    In 2020 Crown preference was reintroduced ranking behind the employee claims but before the Prescribed Part for taxes that HMRC considers are collected by the company and held for them.  The easiest example is PAYE where it is taken off an employee to give to HMRC.  VAT is another tax caught. Corporation Tax is not because it is a tax on the company itself.
    This article from 2020 sets out some of the issues as seen by the Insolvency trade body R3 as one view point.  I am not offering a personal view here.
    https://www.r3.org.uk/press-policy-and-research/r3-blog/more/29492/page/1/royal-assent-for-the-finance-bill-but-r3-s-opposition-to-crown-preference-continues/
    It is fairly common that the Crown gets stretched harder than other creditors when things are difficult.  They cannot put you on stop like your suppliers. This was one of the pro arguments for reintroduction. The flip side of course is they supply nothing to the business directly and someone who shipped a box of goods is now further down the pecking order.
    The Prescribed Part comes out after HMRC.
    So in practice by the time you’re done with HMRC and costs there’s a high chance that there’s nothing for the Prescribed Part or the floating charge creditors (those with movable security).
    Employees have another safety net if not transferred under TUPE because the government underwrites part of their claims and then claims in their place in the estate.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

👍 Thank you for that

pigyn
    Free Member

I had so much of that add – Qranc full fingers, shorty copy stem, sidewinders…

politecameraaction
    Free Member

I don’t know anything about retail, but I will bet that Mike Ashley wouldn’t buy Wiggle for its stock. Dealing with property, workers, IP, this, that and the other…That’d be an expensive way to get stock. (And if the rumours are true, they may have a fuzzy idea of what stock they have…)

It’s not that they’re not doing a hard job and doing it well, it’s that they sure as hell know how to charge for that and manage to take their money when even the tax man can’t.

It’s difficult not to find it galling that a business can enter administration for two weeks and end up paying 60-70% of its value to the administrator leaving everyone else to squabble over the 30% 

Getting out of a car crash is often more complicated than getting into it, it’s true…

dyna-ti

I ordered a set of pedals off crc on Wednesday. Order is listing as ‘shipped’ . Expectation is they’ll arrive tomorrow if everything is ok.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Despite this temporary wobble, CRC have a great rep, internationally, even.

Goodwill, too.

Nice if that could transfer to a high street branch…quick repairs and the odd accessory.

Theres always post offices with excess space😊😊😊

5lab
    Free Member

Prices on a Few bits I’m watching have dropped again today, worth checking anything you’re after

bentleywood

Anyone else having problems with the return portal not allowing you to select your country? I’m returning a couple of things before it’s too late and can’t get past entering my address on rebound.  It’s currently only offering Christmas Island as my country!

DanW
    Free Member

@bentleywood I also see the “Christmas Island” problem. It is the only country I can select in the Returns portal so the return fails as the address isn’t right.

Cynical “admin error” to reduce returns?

I am tempted to enter an address in the Christmas Islands anyway but not sure I want to gamble that on an expensive dropper going missing.

I have emailed Wiggle, lets see what they say.

honourablegeorge

“CX” is the ISO code for Christmas Island, sometimes “CX” is used as an abbreviation for “Cancelled” also.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

Half of this thread is about people returning stuff…….are you the issue

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 1,827 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.