Home Forums Bike Forum Possible demise of CRC / Wiggle

• This topic has 1,826 replies, 447 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by mashr.
Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 1,827 total)
  • Possible demise of CRC / Wiggle
  • superstarcomponents
    Free Member

That. See above

Neil SuperstarComponents

breadcrumb

You know any new owner is unlikely to be obligated to honour the contract between you and the previous owner of the company.

True. It’s a gamble I’m willing to take. It’s a £800 hardtail, with a quick search no real trend of broken frames.

Anymore than that and I wouldn’t of been so eager.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Wouldn’t HAVE been so eager.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

nukeproof will end up like muddy fox

I mean, I remember nukeproof before nukeproof was nukeproof

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I mean, I remember nukeproof before nukeproof was nukeproof

You mean when they made hubs that you might have found on a fancy 90s mountain bike before they cracked?

breadcrumb

Wouldn’t HAVE been so eager.

🫡

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Surely Nukeproof is a viable brand worth picking up by investors, new products recently launched and extra team members this year suggests they were making a profit regardless of bad business practices by the ownership having lots of eggs in one big basket. It would be an absolute travesty if they vanished.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Bigger brands have come and gone, sometimes twice over.

Look at Iron Horse and Saracen. Plenty more where they came from. It’s just a label at the end of the day, once this year’s run is gone does it really make any difference?

garage-dweller

breadcrumb

I’m aware if they go under it could be tricky with warranty but I’d be surprised Nukeproof totally vanish.
    ______
    You know any new owner is unlikely to be obligated to honour the contract between you and the previous owner of the company.

Agree not likely to see a warranty honoured IF Nukeproof ceased to exist in its current form (and this is all still speculation just now).

There is an argument that if you were buying a hardtail (especially) at current discounts you’re unlikely to be far out of pocket even if you break one large ish part.

Let’s say the frame breaks then you’ve still got an entire hardtail of parts at a good price.
    With an FS the frame is a bigger part of the price and the economics might not be quite as good.

If I was in the market I’d have no qualms on a Scout but would accept I could end up shopping for a new frame a year or two down the line in the pretty unlikely event I cracked it.

Bit of a risk based decision. Cash benefit of a bargain vs. Probability of breaking it and needing to pay to replace some large part with part of the saving you already made.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely Nukeproof is a viable brand worth picking up by investors, new products recently launched and extra team members this year suggests they were making a profit regardless of bad business practices by the ownership having lots of eggs in one big basket. It would be an absolute travesty if they vanished.

IF they disappear it wouldn’t surprise me. I guess they (and Vitus) would be hard to value as I doubt their non-CRC sales through LBS’s make up much of their turnover? So if CRC goes, any buyer would need to start up from scratch with nothing more than some IP and a rolodex of contacts in Taiwan. They’d need:
    New offices,
    New staff (assuming all but a few are shared with other parts of the business).
    New direct to consumer website?

Speaking of 90’s bling brands I’d like to see make a comeback, I reckon Woodman would look good on the side of a range of XC/Trail bikes.

is there a responsibility on the previous owners to realize they are getting into a deal with the devil and think about maybe less growth/profit but greater long term stability?

Is this a thinly veiled British Empire / Gaza reference?

chakaping

I’m sure Nukeproof would be pleased people think it’s such a solid brand.

It was only about 10 or 12 years ago they revived the brand name with that first, round-tubed Mega – and they’ve made some really good (if sometimes flawed) bikes since then.

Personally I’d like to see them successfully restructure CRC/Wiggle and keep Vitus attached, hopefully with Nukeproof as well.

I really don’t think their prices were THAT low to be unsustainably undercutting everyone else. At least not until they started the big discounts this year when they were already in trouble.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

It was only about 10 or 12 years ago they revived the brand name with that first, round-tubed Mega

They’ve been making components a while longer than that. Not sure the brand ever disappeared as such but I think crc bought the name about 15-20 years ago and used it as a house brand for bars stems and the like for a number of years before they started doing frames.

I really don’t think their prices were THAT low to be unsustainably undercutting everyone else. At least not until they started the big discounts this year when they were already in trouble.

I seem to recall they were very much a bargain until the merger with wiggle when vitus took that mantle and NP became more of the premium house brand.

Iirc vitus was wiggle’s house brand and as a result mostly road focused, NP was crc and mostly mtb. (part of me thinks that’s wrong and wiggle’s brand vanished but I can’t think what it was called if it did)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Speaking of 90’s bling brands I’d like to see make a comeback, I reckon Woodman would look good on the side of a range of XC/Trail bikes.

Were Woodman ever that “bling”? I remember them being pretty lightweight but non-descript parts – Woolly Hat Shop was a big dealer for them :)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Woolly Hat Shop was a big deal

Ah, the 90s, we miss you.

chestrockwell

Syncros coming back as proper Syncros would be nice. Or Klein as proper Klein with fancy paint done properly. Not that I’d want a Klein but it’s good to have pretty things to look at.

brant
    Free Member

Iirc vitus was wiggle’s house brand and as a result mostly road focused, NP was crc and mostly mtb. (part of me thinks that’s wrong and wiggle’s brand vanished but I can’t think what it was called if it did)

Vitus was bought by Chris and Frank from CRC, and was a CRC house brand.

thepodge
    Free Member

If I remeber correctly CRC own X-Lite too which is a name some might know from 90s bling products.

the-muffin-man

Were you even a mountain biker in the 90s if your bike didn’t sport X-Lite bar ends!! 🤔

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Vitus was bought by Chris and Frank from CRC, and was a CRC house brand

You can’t recall wiggle’s old brand can you? It’s bugging me quite a bit now, as these things do.

breadcrumb

@garage-dweller

My thoughts exactly, if the frame were to fail (unlikely) it’s only a HT frame, and it would give opportunity for something else at not much £££.

The forks will be swapped for a set of Pikes I have before it turns a wheel, the OE fork will be sold, knocking a few more quid from the purchase cost.

prawny

Vitus was bought by Chris and Frank from CRC, and was a CRC house brand.

Verenti was the wiggle equivalent, I had a Rhigos, it was good. I think Vitus having an actual history meant they shoved all of the ‘cheaper’ own brand stuff under that banner.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Verenti

Thank you!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I still have a saved search on ebay for a 56cm/large Verenti Isolation (the bargain 853 SSCX they were selling off for a daft £300).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Woolly Hat Shop was a big deal

They still exist, mostly selling via ebay.

I get pangs of nostalgia for their wierd / unique / ahead of it’s time / overly javascripted website whenever I see their name come up.

a11y

They still exist, mostly selling via ebay.

Woolly Hat Shop now trades as http://www.BikeParts.co.uk

I remember their early website too, nostalgia indeed. The ‘thing’ I remember clearest from ordering BITD was calling Merlin Cycles with my MBUK paper advert in front of me, and it always being the same bloke who answered the phone with a very cheery “Merlin Cycles!” in a distinctive manner.

benpinnick

If I remeber correctly CRC own X-Lite too which is a name some might know from 90s bling products.

X Lite is now better known as muc-off. Not sure Alex ever sold it on?

kelvin

Really?! I thought it just became Muck-off and was quietly retired as a brand name after Rex Trimnell died.

kelvin

😮

breadcrumb

I wanted X-Lite bar-ends so badly when I was a kid, had to make do with Tioga Power Studs.

brant
    Free Member

I’ll be back in a day with an amusing bar end related update.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was more than happy with Onza bar ends. Seem to remember X-lite often being photographed in multiple pieces.

chakaping

Have bar ends come back for flat-bar gravel yet?

If not, someone should get in there quick and corner the market. Could even be the salvation of Chiggle?

squirrelking
    Free Member

SJS already do a clone of some ergo bar ends, I have a pair and they’re ace.

@brant
    ah well, it’s been over 13 years, I’m sure we can wait a bit longer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wanted X-Lite bar-ends so badly when I was a kid, had to make do with Tioga Power Studs.

I had some enormous steel ski-bend things from halfords, they were practically wide TT bars.

I’ll be back in a day with an amusing bar end related update.

Moleskin bar ends with brass hardware handmade in Yorkshire?

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

I’m genuinely surprised they didn’t make a U.K. made boutique brand out of x-lite back when they bought it.

maybe the lure of cheap stuff out of China was too powerful 

Shame really

Neil SuperstarComponents

Kramer
    Free Member

@superstarcomponents, apparently Muc-off took off so well that they never got round to it.

Nice problem to have…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

maybe the lure of cheap stuff out of China was too powerful

For the buying public or crc?

rOcKeTdOg

I still have an x-lite fly stem

bar buddy

sharkattack

I remember X-Lite from the days before I had my own money. Always wanted a Fly stem. Think I bought some of the knurled handlebar plugs from Bike ’98 at the NEC or similar.

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 1,827 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.