Home Forums Chat Forum Overtaking.

• This topic has 1,152 replies, 133 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by zokes.
Viewing 33 posts - 1,121 through 1,153 (of 1,153 total)
  • Overtaking.
  • Solo
    Free Member

Read this and understand why those blokes enjoyed Steak and Eggs before a flight.
    😉

freddyg
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

Was in a “queue” behind a couple of artics this evening. Would it have been OK to overtake the back artic at the first opportunity I got, or did I have to wait and see if it was going to try and overtake the front one first?

molgrips
    Free Member

Go away trollracer

aracer
    Free Member

I can’t, I’m stuck behind a couple of artics.

molgrips
    Free Member

Here’s a good solution to the problem of slow vehicles. Just pull over for five minutes, hey preston slow car gone.

IanW
    Free Member

I had to overtake mrs stapelton tonight, my god it was drama, the old girls getting faster..

zokes
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Here’s a good solution to the problem of slow vehicles. Just pull over for five minutes, hey preston slow car gone.

Clearly struggling to get this, aren’t you, molly? The idea is to get there sooner, not later.

Also, not quite sure what a grim northern town has anything to do with it.

CountZero

molgrips – Member

No it isn’t, five minutes later and it’s in front of you again, still going slowly. Silly boy, you really didn’t think it through, did you. 🙄 😉

hora
    Free Member

Molgrips is one of those girly men.

piemonster
    Free Member

I think you lot should stop picking on Molgrips for being a rubbish slow driver with dreadful overtaking skills.

If he wishes to drive slower than my Nan in a Reliant 3 wheeler, then let him do so.

molgrips
    Free Member

Clearly struggling to get this, aren’t you, molly?

I think you’re struggling with the concept of humour, but you’ve actually raised a more serious point. I don’t think most overtakers really are concerned with getting there sooner. I think they just feel frustrated when they feel like they are behind a slower vehicle, because they like to drive at a decent pace, as do I.

I also feel frustrated behind a slower vehicle, but in the long run it doesn’t make that much difference. The difference between the slowest most congested trip to my parents and a clear run is about 5 minutes out of a 90 min journey.

When I drove a really slow car I did occasionally pull over to ease the frustration, when I knew I was on a windy road and wouldn’t be able to pass for ages. 5 minutes was usually enough to ensure I didn’t meet the slow car again.

zokes
    Free Member

I think you’re struggling with the concept of humour,

Taken either in or out of context, I can’t see anything remotely humourous about the following:

It could just be me, but there’s a serious lack of anything inherently funny in that sentence (apart from, in an ironic twist perhaps, the lack of logic behind it).

I also feel frustrated behind a slower vehicle, but in the long run it doesn’t make that much difference. The difference between the slowest most congested trip to my parents and a clear run is about 5 minutes out of a 90 min journey.

Perhaps this is because you don’t drive fast enough, so failing to overtake (yet apparently getting very frustrated about others doing so) makes little difference to your journey time…

5 minutes was usually enough to ensure I didn’t meet the slow car again.

Ditto the above point.

I’ve frequently overtaken trucks and cars here in Oz, then some time later stopped at a servo for a break and a drink, only to see the cavalcade I overtook finally start to catch me up as I’m leaving. That means I actually do the trip in much the same time as those going slower who don’t stop, but i’m a lot more refreshed and alert as a result of having driven faster yet taken appropriate breaks.

Pigface
    Free Member

It could just be me

it usually is herr zokes 😆

Maybe you are in danger of taking it all to seriously? just a thought.

molgrips
    Free Member

(apart from, in an ironic twist perhaps, the lack of logic behind it

That’s what I was going for yes.

Perhaps this is because you don’t drive fast enough

I drive plenty fast enough, maybe you just drive too fast?

(see how stupid this argument is? Do you want me to start posting up average speed statistics on routes?)

zokes
    Free Member

Maybe you are in danger of taking it all to seriously? just a thought.

I doubt it. Not even I could manage to perpetuate 33 pages of tripe about getting frustrated about other people being better drivers than I am. 😆

joemarshall
    Free Member

I had one of you ‘appropriate speed’ types sitting on my bum yesterday, presumably annoyed that I was sticking to a 40 limit that most people ignore. Sat there for ages, about a mile, right up my bum. The funny thing was that it’s a 2 lanes each way dual carriageway, and the other lane was empty most of the time.

So that is my top overtaking bugbear – high speed idiots who obviously want to go faster but for some reason are unable to turn the wheel to the right and would rather just teleport past you. Grr. Same on the motorway when you’re overtaking a lorry. Idiots.

Cougar

Christ, are we still here? It’s no wonder no-one can ever move on.

Drac

zokes
    Free Member

Christ, are we still here? It’s no wonder no-one can ever move on.

Yep, we’re all politely ‘queuing’ behind molgrips 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Blame aracer, he reopened it. I only threw in a few facetious replies for comedy value. Or at least I tried 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Noooo mooooore PLEASE GOD NO MORE!

ahwiles
    Free Member

maths question:

how long will it take for car1, travelling at 55mph, to catch car2, which is travelling at 45mph, if car2 has a 5 minute head-start…

not a difficult question, but suitable for a little coffee-time distraction 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Is this thread better or worse than being stuck behind a slow moving vehicle?

Northwind

It is exactly like being stuck behind a tractor.

richmtb

maths question:

how long will it take for car1, travelling at 55mph, to catch car2, which is travelling at 45mph, if car2 has a 5 minute head-start…

not a difficult question, but suitable for a little coffee-time distraction

22.5 minutes

Drac

Are they starting at the same place?

Is their destination the same?

Are they taking the same route?

aracer
    Free Member

Blame aracer, he reopened it

I couldn’t help but think of this thread when stuck behind the two artics last night, and thought you’d all appreciate me sharing that.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are behind the car, and pull over to wait 5 mins, the slow car will be 3.75 miles away.

So you will be closing at 10mph, so it will take 22.5 mins yes or 16.75 miles. There’s a fair chance it’ll have turned off in 16.75 miles, or you will, so there’s a decent chance you’ll not see it again.

zokes
    Free Member

so there’s a decent chance you’ll not see it again.

Unless it’s unfortunate enough to get stuck in a ‘queue’ of cars all waiting patiently for the one at the front to overtake a lorry 😉

SamB
    Free Member

maths question:

not a difficult question, but suitable for a little coffee-time distraction

Which car is molgrips driving? 😉

aracer
    Free Member

The one in the queue, silly.

zokes
    Free Member

The one in at the front of the queue, silly.

Viewing 33 posts - 1,121 through 1,153 (of 1,153 total)

The topic ‘Overtaking.’ is closed to new replies.