• This topic has 1,152 replies, 133 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by zokes.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,153 total)
  • Overtaking.
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

That has to be a joke, crikey?

depends on ‘quickly’ surely

jam-bo

You can’t drive quickly and still be safe!

I bet your not a fan of strava either…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You can drive quickly and be safer if you’ve done further driver training.

Woody
    Free Member

Just for crikey………the good old days 😉

crikey
    Free Member

Of course it’s a joke!

I’m pointing out that there are few subjects that anger the above emasculated types quicker than suggestions regarding their driving.

It would appear that most would be happy enough to find their wives in bed with the milkman as long as they could overtake him!!!!111!!1!1 In his bloody Milk Float, driving at 15 miles an hour, in MY BLOODY WAY, WHEN I’M TRYING TO MAKE PROGRESS!!!!111!1!!1!!!

spooky_b329

you do know you can fail your driving test for not making progress?

Just to drive this point home, during my lessons I was told to overtake another car. Nothing unusual in that, except that I was driving a articulated lorry.

The car was a learner doing 30mph on a 60mph (for him) single carriageway. An LGV being able to do 40mph on the same road, I overtook as had this been the test a few days later, I would be running the risk of picking up faults for hesitation.

During my lessons I also witnessed some scary overtaking, including a taxi who overtook me by passing the wrong side of a traffic island, blindly entered a mini roundabout on the wrong side and then left on the wrong side too whislt I was crossing it 😯

nealglover
    Free Member

but having a car that very, very little on 4 wheels can keep up with …..

What do you drive ?

crikey
    Free Member

I bet your not a fan of strava either…

Pretend racing for the fragile egoed.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’m just going to put this here and go away and watch game thrones, y’all have fun now

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2939

TheFlyingOx

You can drive quickly and safely if you have some kind of awareness of your car’s capabilities, and more importantly your own. Training will reinforce that, but it’s not a prerequisite.
    How safe is being in control of a ton and a bit of killing machine when someone who’s had the temerity to overtake you sends you into incandescent rage?

fourbanger
    Free Member

What do you drive crikey?

crikey
    Free Member

I think the fundamental problem is one I have already alluded to: the car, great modern symbol of freedom and power and status, is just another transport machine. You can buy a fast one, you can drive it really fast, but essentially you are just another item in the traffic. Accept it, relax and worry about other things.

crikey
    Free Member

Bingo!

Why is this an issue?

Cougar

(…and another thing – you noticed how the people who do 40 in a 60 limit are also the ones who do 40 in a 30 limit…?)

If I take the A-roads rather than the motorway to work, there’s a section that goes from NSL to 30 to 50 (and obviously, vice versa in the opposite direction).

Pretty much daily I’ll see this; someone tootling along at 40mph in the 60; I’ll squirt past them on the straight section, and then have them right up my arse by the end of the 30 zone only to to see them disappear in my RVM once I hit the 50 zone.

Coming back, there isn’t really space to overtake safely in the 50 bit, so I’ll follow someone at the 40 they’re doing. Hit the 30 zone, I drop to 30 and they disappear off into the distance. Reach the NSL again, and they’ll be under my feet by the first corner. WHAT GOES THROUGH YOUR MIND?!

More under the bonnet

As a general rule, if you want more under the hood, it’s a good idea to start with the one on your head.

There’s a problem with this ‘picking off’. The overtaking queue is a queue. You might think that everyone in it is an old granny who likes driving at 30mph. But in your haste, you are pushing in front of people who are waiting their turn and giving the people in front FAIR CHANCE to overtake.

And the corollary to that is when, as others have described, you’ve driven through several perfectly good overtaking points and no-one’s budged.

There seems to be an awful lot of drivers who will never, ever overtake anything, yet will happily throw their car into oncoming traffic with gay abandon rather than slowing down if they encounter a cyclist or a stationary hazard.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

eadlydarcy – Member
    You can drive quickly and be safer if you’ve done further driver training.

Should be mandatory since it seems like most of the people on here can’t even master the basics of mountain biking without going on a skills course. I wouldn’t trust them to know what they’re doing behind the wheel of a powerful car.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do you ask people this at parties too?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If only Top Gear was on…….

😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do you ask people this at parties too?

😆

crikey
    Free Member

If only Top Gear was on…….

Indeed 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

How safe is being in control of a ton and a bit of killing machine when someone who’s had the temerity to overtake you sends you into incandescent rage?

When you say “sends you into an incandescent rage” do you mean “causes you to flash your lights”

Exaggerating didn’t help make your point 😉

What do you drive ?

Cougar

I’m just going to put this here and go away and watch game thrones, y’all have fun now

That’s really good. I’ve said for a long time that in any demographic, it’s the vocal minority which gives the rest a bad name.

alibongo001

Interesting thread this!

Lots of jumping to conclusions about other people’s driving and the safety thereof.

I have to drive a lot for work and have done so for many years, probably averaging over 20k a year for my working life.

I have noticed a lot of the behaviour in the above trail, same speed regardless of conditions etc It would seem the average speed on most single carriage way is 44 mph currently.

I do overtake (more than) occasionally and have had some indignant flashes of the lights for my trouble, regardless of the distance left pre and post overtake. It seems that some people do not like anyone exceeding their definition of the safe speed!

I guess the take home message is that speed needs to be used safely, sparingly and with consideration for the conditions and other users of the road.

I would say that the fault is as much with the mono-speeders as the charge of the late braking Audi brigade!

tinybits
    Free Member

It’s not.

Why can’t you just accept that it is possible for people to enjoy themselves quite safely driving, and in their choice of vehicle. That sometimes means you’ll be overtaken, but there’s nothing wrong in that, any more than there is in being overtaken.
    I also accept that some people get no enjoyment from driving and that’s all good to.

Edit, I’m too slow a typer to keep up with this thread. I’m off to drive my car at reckless speeds (sometimes exceeding 40miles and hour) around deserted bone dry roads. For the sole purpose of fun.

Cougar

Should be mandatory since it seems like most of the people on here can’t even master the basics of mountain biking without going on a skills course. I wouldn’t trust them to know what they’re doing behind the wheel of a powerful car.

It’s a very good point actually.

“How can I improve my riding?” – go on a skills course with Jedi or Great Rock.

“How can I improve my driving?” – my driving’s perfect, it’s yours that’s the problem.

crikey
    Free Member

I think it’s most interesting because it’s absolutely obvious that I’m provoking those who think their driving is really important, and yet they just can’t help themselves.

Interesting comment on the psyche of the modern male, methinks.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I am amazed at the “Holier than thou” attitude by so many posts here! Get over yourselves.
    If another motorist’s actions directly endanger you or others, then that’s one thing, but demonising anyone who has a powerful car or who overtakes to save “two minutes” is moronic.
    If they are doing something so wrong, then either the law will get them one of these days, or the Baby Jesus will judge them…

tinybits
    Free Member

couger +1

alibongo001

I agree skids!

I can’t get past the wanting to know what car people drive as if this in some way highlights their skill as a driver / quality of risk assessment etc.

Do I change personality if I am driving my BMW 320d, X5 or Porsche? (or Fiesta / Fiat 500)

fourbanger
    Free Member

Crikey, what’s actually wrong with you? Just FYI, all you’re doing is showing your ignorance of the standard of driving set by the Highway Code and demonstrating that you have a massive chip on your shoulder about cars and penises. The only thing annoying me is trying to decide if you’re a bad troll or a genuine menace to other drivers.
    Have you been drinking? Computers should be fitted with breathalysers.

crikey
    Free Member

And what kind of penis do you have?

chvck
    Free Member

The only thing annoying me is trying to decide if you’re a bad troll or a genuine menace to ther drivers.

Given the replies, if a troll then I’d say a pretty good one.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A black one. It’s MASSIVE!

chewkw
    Free Member

I have auto gear car so slow traffic jam is fun … LOL!

Oh ya plenty of zombies love to tailgate leaving hardly any gap for emergency. I am talking about 65-68mph in slow lane and some zombies just have to drive too close i.e. less than 2 seconds gap.

Yes, saw some nasty overtaking at some blind corners 😯 That would be a major collision with mess all over if a car was to appear.

jamj1974

Making safe progress on a road does not always mean staying behind vehicles. Overtaking is a permitted manoeuvre and if done correctly in the right situation is also safe. Some people should bear that in mind when commenting on this thread. Just because you express less feelings of frustration than the OP and state you approach driving with more patience than he articulates, doesn’t automatically make you a safer, better driver.

What will make you a better driver is reducing your own complacency.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Given the replies, if a troll then I’d say a pretty good one.

Good trolls don’t have to try so hard. 😉

crikey
    Free Member

Has anyone other than me actually thought of the children?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The queue of traffic isn’t always down to one slow vehicle at the front. Sometimes, it’s down to congestion. Sometimes you have to accept that you’re part of that congestion. And just calm down a bit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I did have a friend once( just the one though mind) age 18 me in the passenger seat bikes on the back. saxo vts

Him overtaking on blind corners on the a82 between laggan and fort william and i asked him what the crack was .

His reply.

Statistically theres more likely to be nothing coming than us hitting a car…..

I drove from then on.

I believe he lost his licence in the end thankfully. We dont keep in touch

nealglover
    Free Member

I can’t get past the wanting to know what car people drive as if this in some way highlights their skill as a driver / quality of risk assessment etc.

The only reason I asked Flying Ox is because he said “very very little on four wheels could keep up”

And as I’m into cars I was interested to hear what it was.

But I’ve asked twice and seems like its a secret 🙁

chvck
    Free Member

I decided they were dispensable in the need for speed.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,153 total)

The topic ‘Overtaking.’ is closed to new replies.